Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Interesting Take on A&M and SEC

21,581 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by BusterAg
Ag Tag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I'm afraid that over the past 12 years, we failed to make a big splash in the SEC.
2nd Generation Ag
The travel is BS. You would travel away for 4 games a year. Basketball travels all over the place for 15 games.

The Big 10 could be a better deal for us. ESPN drove the deal to bring Texas into the league. Fox runs the Big 10 and the Big 10 cover the entire country. So many more TV eyeballs long term.

The SEC in a sense is a regional conference. By adding us the BIG 10 is boxing in the SEC. And now getting much of the Texas market which will make it much more powerful and much more money
EO718
The Chicken Ranch
AG
No.

I don't know how to bang it into your thick skulls, but no one is going to care about watching A&M vs Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers, Northwestern. Want to give up your regional games with LSU, Arkansas, OU, tu, MSU, OM? Alabama, Auburn for that? Really? Lack of regional interest is what is going to kill college sports, and the B1G model will fail without regional groups.

It isn't just about money, it's about interest in the match ups. Now that we have history with the SEC, and a ton of history with tu, Arky and LSU - THOSE ARE OUR RIVALRIES! Do you really want to quit playing schools we have history with and play schools we've never played before? And what do you do about baseball?

This B1G crap needs to die. Get over y'all's butthurt about tu.
TyperWoods
The Chicken Ranch said:

No.

I don't know how to bang it into your thick skulls, but no one is going to care about watching A&M vs Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers, Northwestern. Want to give up your regional games with LSU, Arkansas, OU, tu, MSU, OM? Alabama, Auburn for that? Really? Lack of regional interest is what is going to kill college sports, and the B1G model will fail without regional groups.

It isn't just about money, it's about interest in the match ups. Now that we have history with the SEC, and a ton of history with tu, Arky and LSU - THOSE ARE OUR RIVALRIES! Do you really want to quit playing schools we have history with and play schools we've never played before? And what do you do about baseball?

Yes, I would love to quit playing tu.

No, it's not because I'm scared.

It's because of them.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
So you want to run from them? And all the other schools we play? And start playing schools we've never played? And kill our baseball program?

You are hopeless.
TyperWoods
The Chicken Ranch said:

So you want to run from them? And all the other schools we play? And start playing schools we've never played? And kill our baseball program?

You are hopeless.

Did I say any of that? No, I didn't.

SMH

But, I want to be in the winning conference. B1G is currently outpacing the SEC in footprint and revenue. I don't see anything from Snakey that makes me think that will change.

If you want to play the sips above all else, that's on you, not me.
Big Ed Bookman
Yet another article where someone pontificates on how powerful Texas is and how 2nd rate we are.
greg.w.h
AG
Big Ed Bookman said:

Yet another article where someone pontificates on how powerful Texas is and how 2nd rate we are.
I see your removal and likely ban didn't take…
olarmy96
AG
TyperWoods said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

You are hopeless.

SMH

But, I want to be in the winning conference. B1G is currently outpacing the SEC in footprint and revenue. I don't see anything from Snakey that makes me think that will change.

I don't think a coast to coast footprint is an advantage, and the ratings will bear that out.

East Coast isn't up after midnight to watch Rutgers/Oregon and West Coast isn't watching 9AM kick-offs.

Conference USA tried it, and it was never compelling.
bsam004
AG
Who cares about revenue? Are you a member of the board of directors in a major college football conference? No? So it doesn't affect you. The SEC is miles ahead of the the B1G in pretty much every metric except money and only slightly behind. They're way ahead in, you know, winning championships, and any athlete and coach would like to be apart of that conference. Our athletic programs would take an instant nosedive by leaving the SEC, and I nor any other Aggie cares about a slightly bigger TV payout if it ends with no trophies.
C2 Ag 93
I know I am bumping this to the top by commenting, but as I am, it was already there.

But holy crap, just stop with this B1G crap conference discussion. Just literally stop caring about the sips, as it's proven we haven't for 12 years, and it will remain obvious we belong in the SEC. It's fuggin crazy talk to literally want to change conferences because we cannot stand their ****headed arrogance. The rest of the SEC will see it. And it will be okay. Just... stop... caring. They're just another game on the schedule to me now.
BadAggie
AG
rootube said:

Here's another way to look at it. What did horn do in the B12 when Nebraska, Colorado Missouri and A&M left? To read these articles you would assume they dominated but in reality they got their tails kicked in by the likes of OU and TCU for a decade.

Yep.
R8ted
Now see what y'all started?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/podcast-host-says-texas-a-m-aggies-can-be-replaced-in-sec/ar-BB1pH1qU
monarch
S
Beryl is gone folks so life returns to normal. As I have said numerous times, sometimes we are our own worst enemy. No BIG10 talk.
Peace for Ukraine!
bamaoldtimer
Howdy, been awhile since I've posted. Saw this thread and it prompted me to respond. I agree with the writer that Texas ruled the roost in the Big 12. Having arrogant fans and overly inflated egos is pure SEC. As a Bama faithful, I can attest to our arrogance. Texas joined the SEC because you Aggies were leaving them in the dust.

If the portal and nil had never surfaced, then Texas would never have reached out to join our conference. I think that is incontestable. Texas needed what you and my team have and had. Stability!

The SEC is run by very professional people. They sit down and have dinner with Disney Executives. Disney says for us to give you more money, we need more compelling inventory. Aka! Get Texas and OU.

So, my suggestion to all my Aggie friends and fellow conference mates is if it really " Just means More", then beat the hell out of tu every chance you get. The end.

Gig'em and Roll Tide!
Tex117
AG
The Chicken Ranch said:

No.

This.

The Big 10 talk is ridiculous. A zillion things would need to happen for that even to be a remote possibility.
TopoTacos
AG
We didn't have a deciding vote: membership extensions did not require unanimous consent.

As to whether or not we "wasted" our head start, if your benchmark is winning the conference or a title, then sure… but one program had Nick Saban and it wasn't us- them's just the breaks.

But I'd argue that the last 12 years have gone a tremendous way in us distinguishing our program from Texas on a national level. I don't think ESPN would be making our season opener the crown of kickoff weekend otherwise, for example.

Also, Texas is always going to be annoying, but they simply won't be able to strong arm the rest of the conference the way they often could in the Big12. If Texas wants to do something and Bama/UGa/UF/LSU don't agree, the horns are gonna get told to kick burnt orange rocks.

We're stepping into a really promising season with a coach who will finally maintain accountability and a roster that can kick some ass in a conference brimming with parity.
wangus12
AG
TyperWoods said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

You are hopeless.

SMH

If you break it down to winning things, then the SEC is where its at. If you look at who won the National Championships in college athletics this past year and where those schools are now located (after realignment this year) it breaks down like this

SEC: 11 Titles (Baseball, Men's Golf, Men's Outdoor T&F, Women's Basketball, Women's Gymnastics, Women's Indoor & Outdoor T&F, Women's Rowing, Softball, Women's Tennis, Women's Volleyball

ACC: 10 Titles (Men's Gymnastics, Men's & Women's Lacrosse, Men's Soccer, Men's Water Polo, Women's XC, Women's Field Hockey, Women's Golf, Women's Soccer, Women's Swimming/Diving,

Big 10: 6 Titles (Football, Men's Volleyball, Men's Wrestling, Beach Volleyball, Women's Ice Hockey, Women's Water Polo)

Big 12: 6 Titles (Men's XC, Men's Indoor T&F, Men's Swimming/Diving, Men's Tennis, Rifle, Skiing)

Other: 3 Titles (Men's Ice Hockey, Women's Bowling, Fencing

Big East: 1 Title (Men's Basketball)

If we want to be in a winning conference, you either stay in the SEC or go to the ACC (which probably won't exist in 5 years after it gets picked apart)

TyperWoods
wangus12 said:

TyperWoods said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

You are hopeless.

SMH

If you break it down to winning things, then the SEC is where its at. If you look at who won the National Championships in college athletics this past year and where those schools are now located (after realignment this year) it breaks down like this

SEC: 11 Titles (Baseball, Men's Golf, Men's Outdoor T&F, Women's Basketball, Women's Gymnastics, Women's Indoor & Outdoor T&F, Women's Rowing, Softball, Women's Tennis, Women's Volleyball

ACC: 10 Titles (Men's Gymnastics, Men's & Women's Lacrosse, Men's Soccer, Men's Water Polo, Women's XC, Women's Field Hockey, Women's Golf, Women's Soccer, Women's Swimming/Diving,

Big 10: 6 Titles (Football, Men's Volleyball, Men's Wrestling, Beach Volleyball, Women's Ice Hockey, Women's Water Polo)

Big 12: 6 Titles (Men's XC, Men's Indoor T&F, Men's Swimming/Diving, Men's Tennis, Rifle, Skiing)

If we want to be in a winning conference, you either stay in the SEC or go to the ACC (which probably won't exist in 5 years after it gets picked apart)

I'm looking to the future. If SEC doesn't add more teams and revenue, the B1G will...and will pull further ahead.
The Banned
TyperWoods said:

wangus12 said:

TyperWoods said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

You are hopeless.

SMH

I'm looking to the future. If SEC doesn't add more teams and revenue, the B1G will...and will pull further ahead.

Exactly. Schools are about to be able to pay players directly. B1G schools consistently bringing in 8 figures more a year will add up.

Now should A&M jump for that reason? I don't think so. BUT, if Miami/FSU, UNC, Clemson, UVA and ND all head to the B1G, the money will be astronomically higher and the SEC won't have a single school left to counter their move. The B1G will over take the SEC and the merger will happen on the B1G's terms. A&M would be stupid not to consider that, along with some other SEC schools that aren't feeling the love/have half a brain.

Now, should those major ACC schools go SEC, then we should stay put, as I believe the SEC will eventually win the merger negotiations.

Problem is Sankey. I think his all in deal with ESPN shows he's too narrow minded to win this battle. I think the B1G ends up as the big dog by 2035.
Big Ed Bookman
TMartin said:

Until A&M wins a championship in a major men's sport it's all lip service and status quo.
He nailed it.
Big Ed Bookman
bamaoldtimer said:

The SEC is run by very professional people. They sit down and have dinner with Disney Executives. Disney says for us to give you more money, we need more compelling inventory. Aka! Get Texas and OU.

Gig'em and Roll Tide!
I should know this but I don't - did the SEC reach out to Texas and Oklahoma or was it the other way around?
Tex117
AG
Missouri bolts to the Big 10 as soon as there is another real conference shake up.

Texas A&M will be in the SEC for the foreseeable future. Now, A&M is going to have to get its head of its azz (which is usually does) and start playing Game of Thrones real quick.

monarch
S
Screw the Yankees up north. Not flying through ORD or ERW to go to a football game.
Peace for Ukraine!
The Banned
monarch said:

Screw the Yankees up north. Not flying through ORD or ERW to go to a football game.

It's going to happen either way. This is going to be a national conference at some point. The question is which major conference dictates the terms of the merger
bamaoldtimer
Big Ed Bookman said:

bamaoldtimer said:

Gig'em and Roll Tide!
I should know this but I don't - did the SEC reach out to Texas and Oklahoma or was it the other way around?

I have no idea. I do know from my previous business dealings that a wink and nod can be very effective.
Ringo88
AG
Amen. I love the SEC, but all of the new money is what's made the difference on our campus. This is more than just occasional football scores.

We currently rank 2nd only to Ohio State in athletic dept. revenue, and absolutely must maintain our lead in the arms race. Everything we now enjoy did not come from football scores.
Ringo88
AG
I think you're absolutely right on both points. But we need to be having that conversation as well.

Every step we make going forward has to be about revenue potential. I agree that culturally the SEC is our perfect fit, and we should've joined decades ago. That said, the difference in conference revenue is now substantial, and we are currently second only to Ohio State in athletic revenue. Just like 12 years ago, we need to be ears-open to that move before someone else does. Separation creates the key advantages.
rockwalltxag
AG
Quote:

Texas reached out to the SEC and Big 10 testing the waters for their move from what they thought was a dying Big XII.

Snakey realized he needed to grab those two brands before the Big 10 did and the rest (including implosion of Pac12) is history.

The SEC didn't reach out to them, they basically came begging for an invite.
Little Rock Ag
AG
The whole conference paradigm as we know it will likely disappear within a decade or so. We are moving towards the superconference era that will realign the big players into an NFL-lite. I'm not sure why A&M would even consider trying to make a move at this point, since it won't matter within 10-15 years what things look like now.
The Banned
Little Rock Ag said:

The whole conference paradigm as we know it will likely disappear within a decade or so. We are moving towards the superconference era that will realign the big players into an NFL-lite. I'm not sure why A&M would even consider trying to make a move at this point, since it won't matter within 10-15 years what things look like now.

Go and read some other posts. Mergers in sports are never between equals. It's always the weaker coming to the stronger. The only reason to move would be A&M's bet that the B1G wins the eventual negotiations. And if the B1G scoops the prime ACC schools, they will win that eventual negotiation. The idea of A&M leaving would be in conjunction with that final power move.
AgGrad99
AG
People saying we 'wasted' our time in the SEC....Wasted it? come on...

We were supposed to get destroyed for decades and become the next Arkansas.

Instead, we've been in the top half of the conference, finished in the top 5 twice, upset the #1 team in the country more than once, raised funds to build some of the nicest facilities, and one of the nicest stadiums in the country. Our revenue increased about 5-fold. And while the hire didnt work out, it allowed us to poach an national title winning Head Coach from another P5 team...which many people scoffed at. That doesnt happen if we're still in the B12 with terrible/old facilities.

Did we win as much as we wanted? Of course not. But wasted? I'd say we over-achieved based on expectations coming in.

And I'd argue Brent about his point, that texas is in a better spot. They've had ONE good season. One. Coincidentally, that's also their coaches only good season. That one season doesnt change their entire program. Let's see how well they keep it up.
Rongagin71
AG
Little Rock Ag said:

I agree - but - to somewhat answer your question,
A&M might be able to establish itself as a "national"
school (like Notre Dame - did you know that ABC
offered A&M a contract like the one they gave ND?).
Tex117
AG
Ringo88 said:

I think you're absolutely right on both points. But we need to be having that conversation as well.

Every step we make going forward has to be about revenue potential. I agree that culturally the SEC is our perfect fit, and we should've joined decades ago. That said, the difference in conference revenue is now substantial, and we are currently second only to Ohio State in athletic revenue. Just like 12 years ago, we need to be ears-open to that move before someone else does. Separation creates the key advantages.

Sure. Everything is in flux and dynamic. Only an Aggie would cut off any potential beneficial options

ATM has to move past separation being the key advantage. That is the true test of whether ATM as both a Texas institution and an athletic program are actually one of the big boys.
Ringo88
AG
Fair enough. I think for most of us, the proof of that is going to be the big trophy in the glass case. Once that happens, we have everyone's attention that matters. Until then. There will always be one person in the room who whispers disparagingly "1939".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.