***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,049,561 Views | 56482 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by jkag89
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bonda going off the deep end to get Parades lol
linkdude
AG
not surprising here
MaxPower
linkdude said:

Might be close to what it costs if you're getting Springs or Eflin as well. If you can replace Matthews with Arrighetti I'm doing it.
BadAggie
AG
Who would we be interested in from the DBacks?
MaxPower
Walker for sure
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Christian Walker
BadAggie
AG
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/07/astros-interested-in-erick-fedde-jameson-taillon.html

CFTXAG10
AG
Took a move from another poster and watched Angels in the Outfield tonight since it's an off day. How the hell did I just now realize Mel Clark had lung cancer?
MaxPower
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/07/d-backs-to-acquire-a-j-puk.html

D-Backs get Puk. Decent haul for the fish. De Los Santos has major power.
Mathguy64
AG
MaxPower said:

linkdude said:

Might be close to what it costs if you're getting Springs or Eflin as well. If you can replace Matthews with Arrighetti I'm doing it.

Who are you planning on starting 2 games out of 5 right now?

You get Elfin back so that's one but it's still 1 short.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

JYDog90
AG
Jose Altuve got a new car!
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6wZVGWRHpy/?igsh=b2MzbzY2ZWEyZnB6
Formerly Willy Wonka
agdaddy04
AG
I'm really enjoying being able to stream MLBN. Watching As vs Angels now. Two of the hottest teams in AL West. As hitting Angels much better than the Ms did.
BadAggie
AG
The case for going all in a big way at the deadline is the division and league look rather winnable, imo. A glance over at the NL sees some very good clubs but no juggernauts.

Crane already committed a lot for this season with carrying a payroll in lux tax territory. Maybe the back end of the BP 'investments' will start to pay off down the stretch.

Dana has been consistent in his public comments about looking for a quality number 3/4 type starter. With Blanco's emergence and Brown's 180 turn into perhaps the best starter at the moment the team has been able to weather the loss of Javier and JV missing almost 2 months.

Offensively I think the team has been able to scrape, claw, and bull**** enough runs to get to 1st in the division but it needs the return of Tucker soon. Thanks to Singleton for his play this season to date but an upgrade at 1st is the obvious move.

There's plenty of smoke from Dana and elsewhere indicating the Astros are rather active leading up to the deadline, but so are a number of other clubs. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Quote:

The Rangers, San Diego Padres and Houston Astros are the teams that might benefit most from the agreement between Major League Baseball and the Players Association enabling the league to direct a portion of competitive-balance-tax proceeds to teams losing TV money.

All three of those clubs are "payors" in revenue sharing and face declines in their regional sports network income. Before the adjustment to the collective-bargaining agreement, they were not eligible to receive CBT proceeds (only revenue-sharing recipients were). The new plan allows commissioner Rob Manfred to give teams up to $15 million each, regardless of their status in the revenue-sharing program, with an estimated limit of $75 million in those payments leaguewide.

The CBT proceeds will not be determined until after the season and will not be distributed until the end of the year. Teams can project what their local media shortfall might be and what they might get from the league, but it's unclear whether the increased certainty will affect their deadline behavior.

Didn't realize we were in that situation
BadAggie
AG
Framber
Blanco
Arrighetti

v the Dodgers this weekend.
linkdude
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Who would want him... He's constantly injured and a free agent next year

Edit: this is interesting
Quote:

But trading him would make a minimal dent in the Giants' CBT number. That's because the Giants and agent Scott Boras structured $17 million of Snell's contract as a signing bonus payable in 2026 that is nontransferable to a trade partner. Snell's actual salary this season is just $15 million, and trading him would trim only a prorated portion of that amount a savings of less than $5 million
MaxPower
Just like JV, they can eat money if they want to move him. We seemed to be enamored with him and I don't think a bad half season drastically changes how anyone should view him. I'd certainly prefer other options but he has skins on the wall.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Yeah, if we go after him, it proves once and for all that crane is more concerned with chasing names and historical performance than anything else and has learned absolutely nothing from the two bad contracts he gave out after 22. There are way better options than Blake. Trying to fix a pitching staff injury problem by trading for a player who can't stop getting hurt is the height of stupidity.
redline248
AG
Trading for a guy on an expiring contract isn't the same as signing someone to a bad contact. There's a difference in trading to bring JV back and signing an aging Jose Abreu, for example.

Last 3 starts, 18 IP, 2 ER... so he could still be good. Injury concern is valid, though.

Probably wouldn't cost as much in terms as prospects. One way to look at it is, do you gamble the future for now, or gamble the now on a guy like Snell?
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Mr.Bond
AG
Done deal. Wow
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

EastCoastAgNc
AG
My concern is once again who is in charge and who is making the calls. Let's say Dana is working deals based on who is the best pitcher that is of reasonable cost, and then Crane and his council of minions decide "hey let's get a big name" with no concern for whether it's the best option or what it will cost and what other deals it might keep us from making.

I feel like this is what happened with Verlander last year. We all love JV, but he's old and a shell of his former self in terms of consistency and reliability. He's not the sure thing he used to be.
redline248
AG
Just saw that on yahoo and wondered if anyone else had it reported
Sex Panther
AG
Mariners trading for Arozarena
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Eh... I'd rather they get him than parades. They have so many holes that I don't think they can fill enough of them.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Seattle #12 and #22
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

My concern is once again who is in charge and who is making the calls. Let's say Dana is working deals based on who is the best pitcher that is of reasonable cost, and then Crane and his council of minions decide "hey let's get a big name" with no concern for whether it's the best option or what it will cost and what other deals it might keep us from making.

I feel like this is what happened with Verlander last year. We all love JV, but he's old and a shell of his former self in terms of consistency and reliability. He's not the sure thing he used to be.
To your first part, I personally don't think I care. Maybe Crane says try to get Snell, but let's Dana do it his own way. Maybe Crane says get him no matter what. That is a little more worrisome, but I doubt Crane is telling him which players to send in return.

On your 2nd part, I think Crane deserves some credit for not being the one to sign JV to the contract. Let him walk bc of age and injury, but then nudged Dana, maybe, to get him back, but only because the Mets are eating so much of the money.
AggiEE
Aroidzaplenty aka Mr chicken and rice doesn't seem to be doing as hot this year

Still an improvement for the mariners but doubtful it moves the needle that much unless he gets hot
Hornbeck
AG
Mariners are thinking there's hope, Crane & co. Need to crush that.
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Mr.Bond
AG
Randy is under control through 2026? Wow
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

First Page Last Page
Page 1163 of 1614

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.