***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,202,711 Views | 58926 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by Mathguy64
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tylhair said:

Does Heyman just mean, he would need to extend the amount of games needed to pitch from the end of the regular season to include the postseason?

Or is he talking about a contract extension?

Heyman is very unserious.
Is Boras Crochet's agent, because if he is, I guarantee you that's where that's coming from. He's a boras mouhtpiece.
Farmer1906
AG
He is, a mouthpiece, but Crochet is repped by CAA.
Ag_07
AG
I understand his concerns but I hate the thought of players pulling this crap more regularly. It's chicken shlt.

If you're under contract for a year that includes the playoffs. You play out your contract.

You don't think some our guys who've played so many playoff games it adds up to extra seasons want those kind of assurances?

I think the more appropriate approach would be to just make sure your new team is aware of the program he's on and gives some assurance that they'll continue to work with him on it as best they can.

And Crochet must not be THAT concerned since he had no problem going out and pitching in the ASG last week.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
While i shudder at trading for Tampa pitchers, a one stop shop might make sense
BadAggie
AG
"Joey, did you put too much garlic in your salsa?"

"But Alex…"

"It's Mr. Bregman to you, rook."

"Yes sir."

EastCoastAgNc said:

tylhair
AG
Garrett Crochet wants to be rich more than he wants to try to win a championship this season for some ambiguous other team where he doesn't know anyone.

He probably prefers a trade in the offseason where there is less risk to injury. This is his first year as a SP and is much more likely to injure himself long term in October, pitching way more innings than previously planned.

I can understand his perspective. Makes him very hard to trade i'd reckon.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

I understand his concerns but I hate the thought of players pulling this crap more regularly. It's chicken shlt.

If you're under contract for a year that includes the playoffs. You play out your contract.

You don't think some our guys who've played so many playoff games it adds up to extra seasons want those kind of assurances?

I think the more appropriate approach would be to just make sure your new team is aware of the program he's on and gives some assurance that they'll continue to work with him on it as best they can.

And Crochet must not be THAT concerned since he had no problem going out and pitching in the ASG last week.

If teams can screw these guys by delaying the clock on their MLB time and costing them a couple of years from a big payday and free agency while not reducing the risk of injury, I have zero problems with stuff like this from the players.

What if he blows his arm out again, doesn't get to pitch in the post season and loses an opportunity for extremely life changing money?

Fans and old guys who already have been paid worry about championships. Young guys with the opportunity to make big bucks worry about that.
All I do is Nguyen
Glad I have Cease on my fantasy team today
Mr.Bond
AG

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

EastCoastAgNc
AG

He Maton'd himself out of a chance to escape that dumpster fire of an organization. Great job kid
cc10106
Maybe he wants to play in Sacramento.
texasaggie2015
AG
Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

If teams can screw these guys by delaying the clock on their MLB time and costing them a couple of years from a big payday and free agency while not reducing the risk of injury, I have zero problems with stuff like this from the players.

What if he blows his arm out again, doesn't get to pitch in the post season and loses an opportunity for extremely life changing money?

Fans and old guys who already have been paid worry about championships. Young guys with the opportunity to make big bucks worry about that.
That's kinda where I'm at as well.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Why was he frustrated, he was lights out?
texasaggie2015
AG
Because he remembered he plays for the A's
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Because he remembered he plays for the A's

Maybe they told him they didn't intend to trade him
n_touch
Any of you crazies live in Dallas?
iBrad
AG
n_touch said:

Any of you crazies live in Dallas?

North of Dallas. Why?
wangus12
AG
McKinney although I'm in Europe
cc10106
Cease no-hit the Nats. The Padres had one before today.
MaxPower
astros4545 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

MaxPower said:

Tells me two things. First, they want Cole getting regular PT in CF in AA. Two, Joey is staying in the bigs because there are a lot of OF in AAA now.

Zach Cole is trending up really fast

Hmmm
His AA stats don't blow me away at all
He's also 23
1.251 OPS in July. That said he K's way too much and has a ridiculously high BABIP. Strikes me as basically left-handed Marisnick. Elite tools every where except a negative 6 million hit tool. As 2015 noted, I just know the org salivates over him.
MaxPower
Ag_07 said:

Personally I'm with Crochet. He hasn't gotten his first contract yet and is making league minimum. The salary system in MLB is stupid for pitchers specifically. I'd be interested in extending him anyway if acquired so don't see why it should be a problem.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Quote:

Taillon signed a four-year, $68 million contract before last season that doesn't expire until 2026. Taking on his prorated $18 million salary this season would push the Astros over the second luxury-tax threshold, though Houston is trying to find a team to take on reliever Rafael Montero's disastrous three-year, $34.5 million deal as part of a trade package, people with knowledge of their discussions said.

Finding any club to absorb Montero's contract will be difficult. The Astros could make it more enticing by including a better group of prospects but their depleted farm system has so few of those to begin with. Absent Montero, it is a legitimate question whether the Astros have the prospect capital to compete with other contenders in search of controllable starting pitchers like Taillon.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Going through MLB trade simulator and the proposed trades people put up there are interesting...

From yesterday...
texasaggie2015
AG
If there's an arm out there who might even be remotely available, the Astros have had a conversation.

Two of the most active teams are right here in the AL West: Astros and Mariners. It's going to be really interesting.

The Rangers are a little split internally on what direction they want to go from what I understand. It will likely come down to how things stand after this weekend. If they sell, it will more than likely just be expiring contracts in an attempt to reload for 2025. (Edit: Just saw they won today so it seems less likely they will sell)

There's several teams in that same boat. I think things will really pick up after Sunday when the market widens a little bit. This is a fun time of year.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

If there's an arm out there who might even be remotely available, the Astros have had a conversation.

Two of the most active teams are right here in the AL West: Astros and Mariners. It's going to be really interesting.

The Rangers are a little split internally on what direction they want to go from what I understand. It will likely come down to how things stand after this weekend. If they sell, it will more than likely just be expiring contracts in an attempt to reload for 2025.

There's several teams in that same boat. I think things will really pick up after Sunday when the market widens a little bit. This is a fun time of year.
Do you think the luxury tax is of any concern to Crane given we're already over the first threshold? Do you think there's really any chance at all they get Parades?
texasaggie2015
AG
Crane says he doesn't care about the tax but I'm skeptical. Parades is absolutely a possibility- they've been having conversations with Tampa about him for a while now.

It really all depends on how the next few days shake out across the league.
Hornbeck
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Crane says he doesn't care about the tax but I'm skeptical. Parades is absolutely a possibility- they've been having conversations with Tampa about him for a while now.

It really all depends on how the next few days shake out across the league.

Crane is the Steinbrenner's now? I'm skeptical as well.
Project Gemini
AG
Taillon would be coming home if he ended up here
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
I'll believe it if it's a big splashy name. I can't picture him going over to land a middling pitcher or bench bat.
BadAggie
AG

Tinker to Evers to Chance.

6-4-3.

My collection is complete.

First Page Last Page
Page 1162 of 1684

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.