***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,202,673 Views | 58925 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by The Porkchop Express
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We could have done our 12 and 22 ranked prospect for him…
Marvin
AG
Deals are happening. Come on, Dana. Find a couple of pitchers.
texasaggie2015
AG
Houston was in on Arozarena. Not the Tampa player they want the most, but someone who has come up often over the last 6-7 months.
MaxPower
tjack16 said:

We could have done our 12 and 22 ranked prospect for him…
Seattle's farm is much deeper than ours so doubtful. Regardless, Randy is just an ok player. Perfect fit for the team that already K's way too much.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

In that case maybe we can get efflin, parades, and Fairbanks for Montero and Forrest Whitley
texasaggie2015
AG
Remember, prospects are viewed much differently organization to organization.
texasaggie2015
AG
I really hope Crane isn't handcuffing Dana. I really really hope he isn't.
BCEDAg
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Some people never learn from their past mistakes.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

It would really be something for the Astros to go get Snell after Reggie Jackson talked so loudly about how he wasn't worth all that money. I really hope they don't go that way.
Hornbeck
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Kinda looking like that's what's up. He's a business guy, and he's had a couple really bad black eyes recently (looking at you, Capt. Lou Abreu, and Montego) That's almost $100M for those two. Thanks, Baggie… (Misspelled to dodge TexAgs)
W
AG
by now I hope that the former players cabal has been dissolved
texasaggie2015
AG
Bagwell had absolutely nothing to do with any of those things. No idea where that narrative came from haha
MaxPower
texasaggie2015 said:

Remember, prospects are viewed much differently organization to organization.
This too. I think Smith is a little underrated and is likely headed up rankings. Good defensive CF putting up a .400 OBP as a 19 year old in A ball.

This trade impacts us because the Rays needed a CF prospect and we have some to trade. Our fit with them may not be as clear now.
Ag_07
AG
Why wouldn't we want Snell?

Is he worth all the money SF is paying him? No
Is he good enough to be an ace on a contending staff? No

But

Is he worth it if SF covers a good portion of his salary and we get him on discount? Yes
Is he good enough to slot in as a #3/4 on this team? Yeah. A playoff rotation of Brown, Framber, JV, and Snell is pretty damn salty.

All depends on how much they cover of the salary but it could work out in our favor just like acquiring JV did last year. Avoid the huge contract in FA but circle back and get him on SF's dime.

I would appreciate Farmer chiming in on Snell because I do see his ERA is bloated at 5+ but his FIP is 3.94 so I'm guessing that indicates he's been quite unlucky.
Beerosch
AG
I wouldn't mind it if SF covers a good portion of his salary and we didn't give up any big prospects. Would we inherit his $30MM player option? I sure as hell wouldn't sign up for that.
MaxPower

Bullpen help?
Bobcat-Ag
I think our CF trade options are MLB ready, so might mean we have a bargaining chip now.
Ag_07
AG
MaxPower said:

Bullpen help Trade bait?

FIFY
MaxPower
No one is giving you anything with his injury history and no MLB skins right now. Better off bringing him up, hoping he gets hot out of the pen this year and trading him in the offseason.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I don't expect him to be the centerpiece of any trade but more like a pot sweetener lotto ticket to get a deal over the finish line.

It's more of just me giving up any hope he's going to be a successful big leaguer and hoping we can make him someone else's pipe dream.
MaxPower
Ag_07 said:

Yeah I don't expect him to be the centerpiece of any trade but more like a pot sweetener lotto ticket to get a deal over the finish line.

It's more of just me giving up any hope he's going to be a successful big leaguer and hoping we can make him someone else's pipe dream.
I'm almost the opposite. We waited this long, might as well bring him up and see what happens. Most likely his arm falls off like the Black Knight in Monty Python but it was worth a try.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Why wouldn't we want Snell?

Is he worth all the money SF is paying him? No
Is he good enough to be an ace on a contending staff? No

But

Is he worth it if SF covers a good portion of his salary and we get him on discount? Yes
Is he good enough to slot in as a #3/4 on this team? Yeah. A playoff rotation of Brown, Framber, JV, and Snell is pretty damn salty.

All depends on how much they cover of the salary but it could work out in our favor just like acquiring JV did last year. Avoid the huge contract in FA but circle back and get him on SF's dime.

I would appreciate Farmer chiming in on Snell because I do see his ERA is bloated at 5+ but his FIP is 3.94 so I'm guessing that indicates he's been quite unlucky.
I think most of this could be attributed to him not having a proper spring training and sucking right off the bat.

See how he's gotten better each month. He's been pretty damn elite in July even with a lowered K%.

Here is the best case scenario for Snell. He pitches his dick off this year, doesn't pick up the player option, and hits FA. I don't want to pay him 39 M next year, be in the lux tax again, and have no room for anyone else.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I didn't realize he had that player option next year. That would be tough to swallow.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Here is the best case scenario for Snell. He pitches his dick off this year, doesn't pick up the player option, and hits FA. I don't want to pay him 39 M next year, be in the lux tax again, and have no room for anyone else.
Not sure this is fully true with his bonus.... 17 M deferred to 2026, nontransferable. Does that mean he's only making ~6 M this year? If that is the case he's a lot more attractive.
Farmer1906
AG
Seattle adding multiple good hitters makes me nervous.

If they get 1 or 2 of Jazz, LuBob, Belli, Rooker, Vladdy, Yandy, or Bo to go with Randy then I'm going to get worried. I feel like we'll need to answer in a big way.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Farmer and I live nearby. We'll go win the HR Derby and rep this board.
Farmer1906
AG
I love when places are "The Woodlands" but actually Oak Ridge, Spring, Conroe, Magnolia, etc.

Looks neat. It's right near DBat & Scrapyard so probably a smart location. I wish they had facilities like this when I was growing up. I take my daughter them all the time for lessons, camps, practice, etc.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Farmer and I live nearby. We'll go win the HR Derby and rep this board.
I would, but I am having a kids bday party. Feel free to come by and use the 20' water slide in the driveway.
Ag_07
AG
It's Seattle...They'll find a way to fck it up
TarponChaser
AggiEE said:

Aroidzaplenty aka Mr chicken and rice doesn't seem to be doing as hot this year

Still an improvement for the mariners but doubtful it moves the needle that much unless he gets hot
78 HR in the last 4 seasons for Mr. Chicken & Rice doesn't seem special to me at all.
texasaggie2015
AG
Arozarena has been red hot since he broke out of his bad start. Make no mistake, it's a big addition for the M's.
Mathguy64
AG
Seattle's issue is they are a high K and low BA team.

So they traded for a guy hitting .211 and with 101 K in 350 AB. I'm not sure that fixes them.
Farmer1906
AG
Yup. He's been a consistent 120-130 wRC+ type. In order to get there this year he's going to need to play the rest of the way 140+. I wouldn't be shocked in the least if he does it.
texasaggie2015
AG
If they add one more solid bat, it's time to take them very seriously. It's going to be really interesting the rest of the way.

Let's see what we do to answer.
First Page Last Page
Page 1164 of 1684

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.