Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

FSU BOR Meeting

51,805 Views | 244 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by BMX Bandit
northeastag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is a real ----storm about to happen in CFB over the next two years anyway. This FSU lawsuit may just accelerate it. I know my view is different than the rest of you, but I'm not really that confident in A&M's position when the final jockeying for super-conferences takes place. I can easily see us eventually lumped in with the "second" schools in other states (Washington State, Oregon State, Okie State, etc.) when the whole shakeout is done. Have a crap season again in '24, and our bargaining position deteriorates more.

Our saving grace may be a ton of big cigars with fat wallets, but if we keep spending money as stupidly as we have been, that may not even help.
BMX Bandit
There is zero chance A&M would be in the second tier of schools. Even if we have a bad year next year. It won't matter.

JustisWalkert
AG
rootube said:

This is a hilarious fantasy. FSU can only be pissed at themselves for signing a contract ,that by current standards, is tiny and that runs through 2036. The B10 and the SEC are not going to pay one dime to add an ACC team. Hell the B10 is still not giving full shares to Maryland and Rutgers.
And if there's one thing we know well, it's making stupid contracts.
the4aces
AG
Why is Clemson a good team to add? Small market with recent success. Why would any big conference want them?
Artorias
AG
northeastag said:

There is a real ----storm about to happen in CFB over the next two years anyway. This FSU lawsuit may just accelerate it. I know my view is different than the rest of you, but I'm not really that confident in A&M's position when the final jockeying for super-conferences takes place. I can easily see us eventually lumped in with the "second" schools in other states (Washington State, Oregon State, Okie State, etc.) when the whole shakeout is done. Have a crap season again in '24, and our bargaining position deteriorates more.

Our saving grace may be a ton of big cigars with fat wallets, but if we keep spending money as stupidly as we have been, that may not even help.
We are #24 in all time wins, one of the biggest schools in the country with one of the biggest stadiums and resources... and you think we will somehow be in the 2nd tier?

Puff, puff, pass bro...
Flashdiaz
AG
BMX Bandit said:

There is zero chance A&M would be in the second tier of schools. Even if we have a bad year next year. It won't matter.

this.

it's about money and eyeballs... and we got both.
Bryanisbest
AG
Panama Red said:

I'd suspect every LSU fan would dispute they are a "big dog" with SEC. They say SEC is always screwing them over.

As for the FSU case:

The final word on who the SEC Big Dogs are resides in the mind of Snakey Sankey. Your list is a pretty good guess. One thing we do know is that Texas A&M University is not on it due to the way tu was let in by Sankey.
greg.w.h
AG
Gaius Julius Bevo said:

greg.w.h said:

20ag07 said:

Quote:

The mouse did not rework the conference media deal when tu & ou snuck in. The rest of the conference members will be receiving less in media rights payouts to accommodate the interlopers.
This could not be more FALSE.
The part that is false is that it I mpinged current members revenue. The part that is true is there is no additional money for adding two traditional helmet schools in the upcoming contract.

We don't exactly know how much terminating the LHN cost ESPN in termination fees to Texas that might have funded part of their early exist from the Big 12. So we don't know how much more ESPN has to pay Texas than we have to pay Jimbo.

I doubt the SEC would have added the new teams without getting at least a rough idea from ESPN what they would be willing to do financially. My guess is that this was a key part of Sankey getting the votes from each school president.

The next ESPN contract will net each member an increase. I have no doubts there.
Remember adding us and Missouri and CBS never making a bid for more?
hunter2012
AG
Gaius Julius Bevo
"Remember adding us and Missouri and CBS never making a bid for more?"

I don't, and if you're accurate, I have no idea what the dynamics were then. That said, the value of having A&M and Mizzou is surely reflected in the current ESPN contract. And I would argue the various college presidents and athletic directors would be failing in their charges if they voted in Texas and OU without being promised something big on return.
45-70Ag
AG
45-70Ag
AG
45-70Ag
AG
45-70Ag
AG
dixichkn
AG
greg.w.h said:

Hope they sue ESPN as well as conference office.
This.

ESiPN holds the keys to the kingdom in regards to the playoffs, and the snub is obviously what precipitated this. Everybody knows the "committee" is just a puppet arm of Disney. And they proved it beyond the shadow of a doubt this year.
45-70Ag
AG
Let's say fsu is successful in some way in their lawsuit. I'm not entirely sure how success is defined here but let's say they are.

Does this have the potential to completely upend the entire apparatus of collegiate athletics and tv rights?
45-70Ag
AG
45-70Ag
AG
Thamel says UNC is the second most coveted school in the acc.

Justice Beaver
AG
The Chicken Ranch said:

It is probably easier for the ACC teams to come to the SEC, rather than the B1G, if ESPN is involved.

Again, the prizes are FSU, Clemson, Miami and VT. Thinking GT or UNC are prizes is really uneducated.

To quote Heath Ledger's Joker: "It's not about the money…it's about…sending a message"
I want as many instate rivals as we can get for UF, UGA, S Car, etc now…bleed them the way they did us when they voted sip and paperclip in. I don't give a damn about TV eyeballs or perceived "prizes".
Fins Up!
AG
Clemson>UNC
murphyag
AG
45-70Ag said:

Unc averaged 960,000 viewers per game this year to rank them 46th in country. First was Alabama with 5.5 million. A&M was ranked in the 20's.
We are usually higher. Having most of our games at 11:00 am this year really made a negative difference.
William K. Klingaman
dabo man said:

They have "no choice" but to challenge the ACC? They signed a contract. I don't think they have a leg to stand on.

Do we know what the terms of the agreement are and if FSU has a claim?
William K. Klingaman
Get to 20 with FSU, UNC, Duke and Miami.

Clemson is done.
WC94
AG
Why would you pay half a billion to not be guaranteed a playoff spot every year, for the next decade?
Hawk2007
Remember, this is all about athletes and their collegiate "scholarships".

I have never and will never donate a cent to the TMF beyond the infrequent (at absolute best) purchase of a football ticket.... Though, I'm sure the propaganda they push out is about how much donated monies are used to educate the students. Granted, yes, there are plenty of other Aggie sports beyond NCAAF, NCAAM, and baseball.... but realistically, football brings in the lion share of the annual revenues and donations. We end football, we kill the TMF money printing press. Also, I do recognize that there are many bright and smart student athletes through all of our programs --- I did meet several of them in my time on campus.
rollingwoodaggie
Would rather take Clemson and leave out Duke
gctxag
AggieOO
murphyag said:

45-70Ag said:

Unc averaged 960,000 viewers per game this year to rank them 46th in country. First was Alabama with 5.5 million. A&M was ranked in the 20's.
We are usually higher. Having most of our games at 11:00 am this year really made a negative difference.

We had 11a games bc we sucked. People don't typically watch crappy teams...I mean, outside of Aggies, of course.
zb008
Nobody can absorb $572 million. This is is just pouting more than anything.
dreyOO
45-70Ag said:

Those 'body blows' all look like facts to me.
greg.w.h
AG
Gaius Julius Bevo said:

"Remember adding us and Missouri and CBS never making a bid for more?"

I don't, and if you're accurate, I have no idea what the dynamics were then. That said, the value of having A&M and Mizzou is surely reflected in the current ESPN contract. And I would argue the various college presidents and athletic directors would be failing in their charges if they voted in Texas and OU without being promised something big on return.
CBS declared there www no additional meaningful inventory and turned down a look-in negotiation. They NEVER submitted a bid for the re-up.

ESPN asked for significant concessions to both extend the relationship and to take over all our content. Does not pay as well as the Big Ten deal. Did not make room for meaningful value for adding Texas and OU, and their subscriber base is continuing to diminish due largely to cord cutting. And more discriminating non-sports fans refusing to subsidize the sports fans.

So Disney is hampered and possibly overinvested in the SEC, but I think they view it as a valuable partnership without overvaluing it. And the notion Disney will start making lots of new money on cable/sat customers is unlikely.

The Big Ten shopped it around trying to mimic the NFL multi-provider auction. Possibly a good strategy, but this is the golden age of viewing SEC sports since so many events are streamed at very high quality in spite of students leading production at many campuses.
Titan83
AG
I thought the purpose of this contract was to prevent schools from leaving the ACC. Just assume the math is right for a second, seems the contract is doing an excellent job of keeping current ACC teams in the ACC.

There is is no reason we should want fsu in the SEC. If you're not affiliated with fsu, there is no reason to want the ACC to collapse in the same manner as the pac-12.
bmks270
AG
FSU would remain more comin the ACC.

All these strong teams in one conference there can only be one winner. They all make more money but are left in a situation where they have fewer wins and fewer championships.

Only money matters. Not having regional leagues that actually make more sense competitively.

The only real valid argument is that recruiting and staff budget will suffer and winning against the other conferences will become impossibly difficult.
AginKS
zb008 said:

Nobody can absorb $572 million. This is is just pouting more than anything.

FSU won't pay that much; likely less than half (and shouldn't) because:
1. 9 years of those ACC penalties don't apply because ESPN hasn't extended their contract with the ACC.
2. The ACC injured their own conference; thus current member schools, by admitting Cal, Stanford and SMU as new members which diluted the conference win/loss ratio. This reduces their "quality wins" of current members and thus reduces current members chances to make the CFP.
FSU didn't get in with a 13-0 record (beating 2 SEC schools) and the clowns bring in Cal/Stanford/SMU?? Ridiculous move.

FSU has a great reason for doing what they are and hope the SEC gets them, GT, Clemson and either VT or UNC.
rootube
AG
Gaius Julius Bevo said:

Agvet12 said:

If they go to the B1G the SEC is ****ed long term

Negative. The Big Ten is taking on water. Going coast to coast may prove to be the same within a matter of years as drinking hemlock voluntarily.

How on earth are they "Taking on Water"? They have the biggest media deal in football they have some of the most valuable teams in terms of viewership and they just raided the PAC for the valuable parts. I'd say they are the opposite of taking on water.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.