Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

FSU BOR Meeting

45,077 Views | 233 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by greg.w.h
rootube
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hunter2012 said:

You should actually reverse the pictures in this gif. The ACC joined an alliance and shot down the 12 team playoff because they were afraid of the SEC after we added horn and OU. Maybe FSU taking the bullet would be more appropriate.
Ag Tag
Damn FSU all to hell!
Tee
AG
1. Sovereign immunity for FSU.

2. FSU to B1G.

3. A&M to B1G later?
BMX Bandit
zb008 said:

Nobody can absorb $572 million. This is is just pouting more than anything.

No one is going to have to pay that. It's fictitious number not tied to any actual damage

The revelation that espn doesn't have to pay after 2027 is what is going to be the end of ACC
45-70Ag
AG
I'm guessing this is why the acc office wouldn't allow their contract to be viewed outside of their offices under their supervision?
TexasAggiesWin
S
I believe this has the potential to be the straw that breaks the camel's back. What is so wild to me though is that they (the BOR of FSU and all of the other ACC schools) knew EXACTLY what was in the contract that they signed even if it was hidden behind ACC Commissioner's office doors. After the college football playoff fiasco though, they realized that they were going to continue being further and further behind the other conferences and got buyers remorse.

Who the heck knows what college football will look like in the next 12-18 months. I really think this allows everything be 'reset' and we begin looking at a more formalized minor league football system. The pure pursuit of money in college football may ultimately be it's downfall...
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Tee said:

2. FSU to B1G.

3. A&M to B1G later?

FSU isn't going to the B1G.
Agvet12
AG
The Chicken Ranch said:

Tee said:

2. FSU to B1G.

3. A&M to B1G later?

FSU isn't going to the B1G.

I wouldn't rule it out
greg.w.h
AG
William K. Klingaman said:

dabo man said:

They have "no choice" but to challenge the ACC? They signed a contract. I don't think they have a leg to stand on.

Do we know what the terms of the agreement are and if FSU has a claim?
FSU seems to be claiming that ESPN's exclusive right to extend after 2027 creates a void in payments while the Grant of Rights notionally continues. They further are claiming the liquidation penalties do not match the harm because they far exceed the benefits to the member institutions. So far the ACC's and Big 12s have been most effective at requiring either performance of contract via staying or paying exit fees. But it runs extraordinarily far until the future while the conference has been extraordinarily unable to keep up with revenue. I'm guessing the ACCN isn't producing the numbers that the Big Ten Network and SECN are producing revenue wise…
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I would.
rootube
AG
TexasAggiesWin said:

I believe this has the potential to be the straw that breaks the camel's back. What is so wild to me though is that they (the BOR of FSU and all of the other ACC schools) knew EXACTLY what was in the contract that they signed even if it was hidden behind ACC Commissioner's office doors. After the college football playoff fiasco though, they realized that they were going to continue being further and further behind the other conferences and got buyers remorse.

Who the heck knows what college football will look like in the next 12-18 months. I really think this allows everything be 'reset' and we begin looking at a more formalized minor league football system. The pure pursuit of money in college football may ultimately be it's downfall...

I think you are assuming FSU is able to get out of the ACC. That's by no means a sure thing.
Aggie97
AG
B1G likes AAU members. All of the schools are or were AAU members. Nebraska was AAU when it joined but got kicked out or left in 2011. FSU is not member of AAU.
Sparkie
AG
Yea, they have so many other options like the b12 and pac whatever.
74AnimalA
AG
The MOST interesting comment I've seen is something like.....

The SEC doesn't want a Big10 (or whatever) in Fla or the SEC geographical region.

So those that be, may NOT give a Cr@p What the Gators want, or Bama or Georgia....

We've seen that before.
Ferg
FSU is only going to take this step if they have been vetted and told through back channels that they have a home to go to(most likely the BIG).
Cromagnum
AG
That's a lot of wampum.
lagoag
Tee said:

1. Sovereign immunity for FSU. I have no idea.

2. FSU to B1G. I doubt it, SEC makes more sense.

3. A&M to B1G later? No way in hell.
Gaius Julius Bevo
rootube said:

Gaius Julius Bevo said:

Agvet12 said:

If they go to the B1G the SEC is ****ed long term

Negative. The Big Ten is taking on water. Going coast to coast may prove to be the same within a matter of years as drinking hemlock voluntarily.

How on earth are they "Taking on Water"? They have the biggest media deal in football they have some of the most valuable teams in terms of viewership and they just raided the PAC for the valuable parts. I'd say they are the opposite of taking on water.

I simply think the SEC's southern strategy of contiguous schools, acquiring and maintaining traditional rivalries, and being football-focused is the correct one. Travel costs will eat the weaker Big 10 schools alive and I suspect FOX is buying a bunch of games, but they may not be as compelling as might seem on paper. We shall see.
45-70Ag
AG
Aggie97 said:

B1G likes AAU members. All of the schools are or were AAU members. Nebraska was AAU when it joined but got kicked out or left in 2011. FSU is not member of AAU.

Nebraskas removal from AAU was a head scratcher. Based on them putting their med school in another town other than Lincoln.
northeastag
AG
BMX Bandit said:

There is zero chance A&M would be in the second tier of schools. Even if we have a bad year next year. It won't matter.

Like I said, I have a difference of opinion.

But come on, over the last 20 years, only our egos have competed with the top programs. On the field, we've struggled to match up with the likes of TCU and Baylor.

Science Denier
AG
BkYdPitmaster said:

Their maths is off.
Perryman must do their calculating.
87_Was_Long_Ago
AG
45-70Ag said:

Aggie97 said:

Nebraskas removal from AAU was a head scratcher. Based on them putting their med school in another town other than Lincoln.

Read somewhere it also had to do with a lot of their research work being in agriculture as opposed to "advanced sciences", which the AAU academics looked down upon cause groceries just comes from Whole Foods.
20ag07
Quote:

But come on, over the last 20 years, only our egos have competed with the top programs. On the field, we've struggled to match up with the likes of TCU and Baylor.
On the field product isn't what matters.

Which is why your difference of opinion is meaningless.
northeastag
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

Only in the absence of a functioning brain does performance on the field not matter.
BMX Bandit
No offense, but you don't know what you are talking about here.

Consistent top 20 TV draw
Consistent top 10 attendance draw
Wiling was to spend tons of money.

Those are reasons that A&M has zero chance of being left out.

That we consistent disappoint really has no bearing on the issue

Look at it this way.

When the " the final jockeying for super-conferences takes place" how many teams you think that will be? 20? 30? 40?
45-70Ag
AG
Not to derail this into an academic topic but Iowa State recently voted to leave the AAU voluntarily. Not sure that's ever happened.
Logos Stick
northeastag said:

20ag07 said:

Quote:

Only in the absence of a functioning brain does performance on the field not matter.

It doesn't matter in this regard. We are not considered second tier despite on the field performance.
45-70Ag
AG
Gaius Julius Bevo
Could ESPN ruin FSU's lawsuit by simply stating they have every intention of renewing the ACC agreement?
Ferg
Gaius Julius Bevo said:

Could ESPN ruin FSU's lawsuit by simply stating they have every intention of renewing the ACC agreement?
They run the risk that is FSU is still successful and a few other schools follow like NC and Clemson), that they end up overpaying vs underpaying. But its going to be interesting to watch.
20ag07
Quote:

Only in the absence of a functioning brain does performance on the field not matter
Riiiiiiiight.

You must think UCLA got invited to the B1G because of on the field performance.

You're way out of your league in what you're talking about here. It's kinda like you don't have a functioning brain on the subject.
Gaius Julius Bevo
Ferg said:

Gaius Julius Bevo said:

They run the risk that is FSU is still successful and a few other schools follow like NC and Clemson), that they end up overpaying vs underpaying. But its going to be interesting to watch

I'm not a lawyer, but I recall various message board experts saying from realignment 3 years ago that conference membership changes would trigger contract "look-ins". So conferences would reasonably expect to be rewarded by adding a Texas or OU while the likes of ESPN would be protected from a key school like FSU leaving for a FOX partner.

It's just my speculation, but I think it is reasonable.

I also think ESPN would prefer FSU at a bargain price in the ACC over the Big 10 (FOX) or the SEC (more up front cost....might be a good idea ultimately though since FSU arguably is more valuable playing stronger SEC schools than ACC also-rans).
bmks270
AG
45-70Ag said:

Did the schools not read the contract? Being ignorant of the terms of the contract isn't a valid out unless it was intentionally hidden or obscured.
OldArmy71
AG
45-70Ag said:

Not to derail this into an academic topic but Iowa State recently voted to leave the AAU voluntarily. Not sure that's ever happened.
A quick read suggests to me that Iowa State felt it was about to be ousted from the AAU just as U of Nebraska was. Like Nebraska, much of the research at ISU is in agriculture, which is not valued in AAU metrics.
oragator
There are rumors of the BIg10 and FSU already being in negotiations,
As far as us blocking an SEC move, I doubt we would try. The new world is coming, would be wasted energy. Most UF fans have accepted that already. You and The UT admission were just the first salvo ima a larger long term war. We already play them every year already anyway, for us not a lot would change. Other than seeing FSU finally have to play a real schedule every year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.