Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Recruiting

130,609 Views | 503 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by levypantsEOY
rangerdanger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texagtrojan said:

Manziel was a 3 star

And he lost to teams loaded with 5 stars.

Have yet to see anything that's says, "You know what, that Nick Saban is a genius game manager."

His guys are bigger and faster, and he's got more of them than anyone else.
SA-AG72
AG
rangerdanger said:

Texagtrojan said:

Manziel was a 3 star

And he lost to teams loaded with 5 stars.

Have yet to see anything that's says, "You know what, that Nick Saban is a genius game manager."

His guys are bigger and faster, and he's got more of them than anyone else.
Kind of like Greg Popovich with the Spurs. As long as he has superior talent he's a great coach..
beerad12man
AG
The thing about Manziel is his tape was 5-star level. It was one of the most insane HS tapes I've ever seen, still to this day. He was also committed to Oregon, who was known as QBU at the time. Any time a school who is known for something goes after a player, you should take notice and question the rankings. Same with Iowa and TEs such as Eric Karner. Iowa has more TEs in the NFL than anyone. 5 drafted in the last 8-9 years, more than any other school. Yet they recruit almost all 3-star TEs.

As for the tape? Just watch it. I can watch tape of some of our guys, and say yeah, 3 star makes sense. Or even occasionally think a 4 star might be overrated.

But then you watch the tape of Gabriel Reliford or Miles O'Neill? You just have to question how insanely stupid the rankings are at times. Right now, the tape on our commit list doesn't match their rankings on the whole. Call me biased, but I think overall our guys will rise. They already did a little today, as Evans keeps moving up.

Rankings are USUALLY good on aggregate level. They are a solid starting point. But they can be pretty bad on an individual level. They miss all too often for individuals, and some are very obvious. Both good and bad.
schmellba99
AG
whatthehey78 said:

Quote:
"A 5 star that doesnt pan out is going to be better than a 3 star that plays above their head. You cant argue that."

Talk about dumb.
You put together a team of 3 stars, a few who play better than 3 stars.

I'll put together a team of 5 stars, a few who don't play like 5 stars should.

I bet you know who wins that game.
schmellba99
AG
whatthehey78 said:

4 said:

whatthehey78 said:

Quote:
"A 5 star that doesnt pan out is going to be better than a 3 star that plays above their head. You cant argue that."

Talk about dumb.

Quoting another person in order to call him dumb while demonstrating that you can't figure out the quote function... a single, obvious button on the face of the post you are quoting... is, well... how should I put this nicely...
Didn't want the entire quote...just the 'dumb' part. Now...how shall I make another valid point.
When you make a valid point, it will be the first. So quit using the term "another".
whatthehey78
AG
schmellba99 said:

whatthehey78 said:

Quote:

Talk about dumb.

And I bet you know how some player's are given undeserved stars due to the pgm they commit to, while stars are withheld from some for the same reason. Blend that in the mix of 'over' and 'under' achievers, add individual desire, questionable officiating, scheduling and a myriad of other factors...you get salad. My point...winning pgms are determined by more than stars awarded by biased pundits.
infinity ag
AgSnacks16 said:

If don't develop players, tt doesn't matter whether its a 5* or a 3*

True.
But let's take 10 5* players and 10 3* players.
Give them the same coaching resources.

Which group will have more impact after a year or 2?
schmellba99
AG
AgSnacks16 said:

If don't develop players, tt doesn't matter whether its a 5* or a 3*
Wrong.

Because the 5 star guy is starting out ahead of the 3 star guy already. You can't develop size and natural ability. You can develop weight, technique and possibly speed, which is also, coindidentally, where the 5 star guys are ahead of th 3 star guys for the most part.

This is such a dumb argument and it is appalling that people are actually trying to argue that 3 star guys are overall better than 5 star guys. Its simply not true.

It isn't a perfect system and nobody is claming it is, but the facts of the matter are that a team with 5 star and 4 star guys is going to be better than a team of 3 star and some 4 star guys, even if those 3 star guys are playing at the absolute top of their game. That's kind of why Alabama, Clemson and Georgia have absolutely dominated college football for the last 15 freaking years.
schmellba99
AG
whatthehey78 said:

schmellba99 said:

whatthehey78 said:

Quote:

Talk about dumb.

And I bet you know how some player's are given undeserved stars due to the pgm they commit to, while stars are withheld from some for the same reason. Blend that in the mix of 'over' and 'under' achievers, add individual desire, questionable officiating, scheduling and a myriad of other factors...you get salad. My point...winning pgms are determined by more than stars awarded by biased pundits.
....and yet those winning programs have more 5 star and high 4 star players than programs that aren't winning programs, or aren't programs with teams that consistently beat them.

It's almost as if.....teams with 5 star and 4 star guys have bigger, stronger, faster and better athletes than those that have 3 star and 4 star guys.

Huh. Amazing.
schmellba99
AG
Manziel was knocked even in HS because of his size. Let's face it, he was small for today's QB. Everything else being equal, that's what kept him from being a 4 star rated guy.

Same with Swope - absolutely phenomenal athlete, but he didn't have the size that made him a holy cow type of recruit. And, like it or not, size plays a role because small guys are rare in D1 CFB, and even rarer in the pros. Because they don' thave the body and mass to take the physical beatings that are routinely handed out. Swope is a great example - he had the ability to play, but not the size and he was knocked out of the league before he ever got to play in it as a result.
beerad12man
AG
Swope was plenty big. He ran a sub 4.4 at 205 pounds.

He was 6-0 205 and a tough SOB. He had concussions. Size didn't cause his concussions. Going over the middle and being fearless did. Not sure that's the best example.
schmellba99
AG
beerad12man said:

Swope was plenty big. He ran a sub 4.4 at 205 pounds.

He was 6-0 205 and a tough SOB. He had concussions. Size didn't cause his concussions. Not sure that's the best example.
He was small for a slot receiver, and he got concussions because he didn't have the size to handle hits from guys that were 3-4" taller and 20-50 lbs heavier.

I'm sure you'll split hairs on that too though.
beerad12man
AG
He was also drafted in the 6th round. Or, about 190th in his class. 190 in the recruiting rankings would be a solid mid 4 star if he was accurately ranked based on where he ended up drafted.
beerad12man
AG
He was big for a slot WR. Most are in the 170-190 range. He was 205.

Ryan Swope was a big slot WR.

Alabamas three starting WRs this year are 5-11 182. 6-2 195. 6-1 195.

Ryan Swope was 6-0 205.

All are smaller than the average LB in the middle of the field. Doesn't mean they all will medically retired due to concussions. There is such a thing as bad luck. Swope was fearless, and took too many big hits compared to others. Size had nothing to do with that. If all those Bama WRs take the same hits, they also have issues.
wangus12
AG
schmellba99 said:

whatthehey78 said:

Quote:

Talk about dumb.

It depends. Is the 3 star team named Appalachian St?
mjhhawk
See if we can get this thread back on track...

vander54
S
This may do it

World's worst proofreader
mjhhawk
How do we feel about this one?

JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
This whole thread has gotten weird.

It's better to have 5 stars than 4 stars than 3 stars, period.

It's also stupid to say that a 5 star that is a "bust" is somehow automatically better than a 3 star that is a "hit"....5s are better than 3s because statistically, they're more likely to pan out...but that statement is acting as if a 3 star can't out perform a 5 star, which is stupid. The NFL rosters are littered with guys proving that it can happen - it's just statistically impossible to consistently "pick" the right 3 star out of the thousands per year that are out there.

Also, the idea that Manziel lost to teams full of 5 stars is silly, because that argument implies that:
a) We'd have won those games with a 5 star QB
or
b) We'd have won those games with a team full of 4/5 stars

A is flatly false as there was no better QB than Johnny at that time and B is a totally different argument that doesn't do anything to disprove the idea of an individual 3 star out performing an individual 5 star.

In general you want more 4/5 star players than 3 star. We have that right now and this class is looking like it will continue that into the future.

Not sure why this has gone so far off the rails.
vander54
S
Better than the sips will admit

I could see it going our way but not super confident.
redjalapeno-87
Tyanthony Fonged to the good guys today at 2:58 PM. Whats up with that. Jimbo doin' work?

Mike Roach changed his magic ball to the good guys today as well at 2:58 PM.
vander54
S
He's a guy that we've been neck and neck with USC. He was at Miller's commitment t ceremony yesterday.

Also small bump in confidence with Bussey.
vander54
S
Forgot to mention with Miller's commitment and updated rankings we now have 2 top 100 commits.
rangerdanger
AG
vander54 said:

Forgot to mention with Miller's commitment and updated rankings we now have 2 top 100 commits.

Great news! Still want to see one 5 star to cap this class off. We've been spoiled lately, but this is how Jimbo earns his worth right now.
P.U.T.U
AG
redjalapeno-87 said:

Tyanthony Fonged to the good guys today at 2:58 PM. Whats up with that. Jimbo doin' work?

Mike Roach changed his magic ball to the good guys today as well at 2:58 PM.
I will take another aggressive LB, still go after the 5 stars but miss and we still have a good class of serviceable players
redjalapeno-87

Drelon has gravity. Hope that pulls in Tyanthony. That would give us a big haul of quality LB's in this class. Puts the cherry on top of our defensive line.
vander54
S
Looks like Smith pulled the trigger.
vander54
S
Keep an eye on Bussey and Kobe Black
Leander - Ag
Noctilucent
AG
So would that be tonight, tomorrow, or the next day?
vander54
S
Noctilucent said:

So would that be tonight, tomorrow, or the next day?

Bussey moved his commitment up and he said he wants to commit before the season starts.

I'm not sure on Black's timeline

Tomorrow will be Hornsby
TexanJeff
AG
vander54 said:

For anyone here in the zoo that still cares about recruiting it may be a fun few days for y'all. We may see a couple big names fall our way soon.

Ok.
You better than Rojo
True Texan
AG
Vander54 > Rojo LOL

Hopefully, we can sign the LBs.
FriendlyAg
The Zookeeper said:

bth15ag said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

Hopefully very big names. We need as many big names as we can get.
Pablo Picasso's full name was Pablo Diego Jos Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno Mara de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santsima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso. Now that is a big name.
DFUQ????

Learn something new every day.
Aint gonna remember it ... but learnt it

I thought it was a joke and you got trolled. Then I googled it and busted into tears laughing.

Noctilucent
AG
While Aggies are having fun with the recent recruiting streak, here's some more fun. From the Land of Delusion no less:

https://www.on3.com/news/college-football-recruiting-biggest-winners-in-june-clemson-usc-texas-florida-land-major-wins/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.