Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Son going to Arky…

23,610 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jja79
OJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As long as likely any of us posting here have been alive, A&M was a "large" school. It continues to grow and as with any large organization- no one's experience with the organization is exactly the same. So all of us posting here have some fond shared experiences as Aggies, but without a doubt did not have identical times in College Station.

I have advanced degrees from two Ivy League schools and find it fascinating how many posters seem to think A&M has "gone woke". You are not going to find a more conservative minding public university.

There are plenty of great schools out there. Academically you have plenty of options. The network, the camaraderie, there's nothing like being an Aggie. Be proud of your kid going to a quality school. But don't like the number of Ags with these "I'm turning my back on woke A&M". Our school is special and will always be worth fighting for…despite the fact that it will never be exactly the same as you experienced as a student.
infinity ag
Windy City Ag said:

As a long time Illinois resident (back in Texas now), I felt bad for the business leaders who watched the incredible talent at the Illini CS department leave the state.

Grads include the founders of Netscape, AMD, Paypal, Youtube, Oracle, etc etc. all decamping to Silicon Valley.

Everyone is leaving Illinois. Caterpillar just announced they are moving to Dallas area after being in IL for over 90 years.
Seanzy2012
AG
Buddy of mine chose Arky because he liked the idea of a smaller engineering school.
Showstopper
AG
Yeah going to a bad but small engineering school sounds wise. This isn't MIT in the Ozarks. Tech or Cougar High are better than Arkansas. I get that NW Arkansas is prettier than Lubbock but this thread is insane.
cajunaggie08
AG
I don't like to defend Arkansas but I've worked with some decent engineers that came out of UofA. They may have been top of their class and are about on par with me career-wise who was a C engineering student at A&M, but you can still get a great education there.

I hate how most people who brag about engineering school rankings don't realize that it is usually ranking the grad program at those schools. I like that A&M is highly rated, but at the end of the day I didn't partake in anything that impacted that ranking as I only got my BS. Over 50% of my profs were interested in their research and outsourcing their work to the TAs rather than lecturing us. I wound up learning more at "4.0 and go" than I did from some of those professors. However, I had some great ones too so it wasnt all a bad experience.
HossAg
AG
I love the olds who whine about A&M being "woke" these days. I graduated fairly recently, and I know what it's like at A&M these days. Unless you're getting some worthless degree where you talk about gender studies in every class, there is nothing "woke" about the curriculum. Engineering was a ****in gauntlet, and I'd send my kid there 10/10 times as opposed to some lesser school, especially the deep south schools where a degree is worth about the same as a Lonestar degree.

You guys are magnifying a non-existent issue in your heads, and you can't stand the idea of your kids having to think for themselves when they leave your safe space. A&M is no more "woke" than any other school in Texas, and if your kid can't make informed opinions in the midst of kids who might have different views than them, then maybe your kid wasn't that smart in the first place. A&M is a fantastic school. /endrant
Showstopper
AG
I don't disagree that the best engineer from a bad school is better than a bad engineer from a good school. That doesn't make the school good. I know smart people from U of H and Tech too. If people are saying "yeah my kid is going to Arkansas because it is free" I understand that logic because I personally went to A&M because it was free (different era, tuition was a lot cheaper in the 90s).
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Is your basics in any state school really that much different? Like am I really learning that much more in Math 151 from A&M than I am at Arkansas? The only thing to me it seems like is that getting your basics done at another school means you might have smaller class sizes and a professor that has English as his or her first language.

Now your more advanced courses I can definitely see an advantage at taking them at a place like A&M.
HossAg
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Is your basics in any state school really that much different? Like am I really learning that much more in Math 151 from A&M than I am at Arkansas? The only thing to me it seems like is that getting your basics done at another school means you might have smaller class sizes and a professor that has English as his first language.

Now your more advanced courses I can definitely see an advantage at taking them at a place like A&M.
I think different schools also have varying levels of work load. Work load is the one of biggest factors in how hard a program is, imo. You can learn anything if you have enough time to do it. I remember talking to friends from highschool that went to different engineering schools and thinking that their work load and the difficulty of their group projects just sounded way easier than mine.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
You are probably right. It would be interesting to see a study on what the pass rate is for students taking the FE exam for students who spent all their college at one of the top 10 engineering campuses, vs students that transferred in to these programs after basics, vs students that got their engineering degrees from another program completely.
HossAg
AG
Yeah that'd be interesting. I passed it a few months after graduating without studying for it, and I'm by no means a genius. I'd recommend A&M's engineering program to anybody.
jaggiemaggie
AG
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

I didn't bat an eye when my daughter chose CO School of Mines over A&M. It was actually my idea that we tour there. It was 100% the correct decision based on her personality. Small school, very outdoors type of people, nerds, conservative, the list goes on.

I wish I would have know about Mines 20+ years ago when I was applying. I was the first in my family to go to college in the States and all we really knew was out of state college = expensive. My wife and I visited Boulder last year and walked around campus and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if my kids go there
Stone44
AG
They have an honors program at Arkansas? In what? Nose picking?
BigDawg87
AG
Mines is in Golden. If you were in Boulder you walked around CU
What we do in life echoes in eternity.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Doh you're right. It was golden.
jja79
AG
If he's happy and this is what he wants to do good for both of you. He's on his way and you raised a kid who can think for himself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.