Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Son going to Arky…

23,722 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jja79
Wdiss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
…despite 18 years years of heavy Aggie indoctrination…

it was down to A&M, Auburn, and Hogs. Boy choose Hogs.

So why did he break his daddy's heart?

They just hand him more money and attention and he had a lot of friends from his school go there.

A&M just gave him an offer, but not to his #1 college. Hogs gave him in-state tuition plus more money plus the honors program.

After he visited Hogs he said he "had found his people".

Kid also visited Auburn. He liked it okay. So did his daddy and mom and sister. We could have been okay with Auburn. It's a lovely town and the people are so dang nice.

But Hogs?
vette
AG
Be happy for your kid. Life is more than having your kid go to the same college as you.
Southlake
Hugs to you…
mm42
Kid made a responsible decision. Deciding to take on $100K in college debt isn't for everyone.

My kid made a similar decision and went with the free undergrad. I promised she could use the money in her 529 account to pay for grad school. I would have had to.pay anyway, so win/win in my book.
Jimbo4win
AG
A&M was good to me. I have no complaints BUT I often wonder where I would have gone if I had some guidance and had chosen a school based on factors other than 1) it is cheap 2)football is cool, Bro..I know there is way more to A&M than that but my 17 year old mind made the decision based on those two alone..
NoahAg
A&M is not the same A&M I went to. So I really don't care if my kids want to go there.
Let's go, Brandon!
evestor1
I've been pushing Deep South schools only to my children. A&M is a great school ... that is far more liberal than I am raising my kids.

If you could put a non Mormon BYU in the South I'd be pushing my kids there.
AWP 97
AG
Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Okie State are getting a lot of good kids especially from the DFW area. They are offering in-state and giving so much money that it is hard to turn down. Despite A&M's best efforts to take every kid in Texas (being facetious), only so many kids can go to tu and A&M. I know a lot of longhorn and Aggie parents who are seeing their kids go out of state because of the money.

However, my personal choice and I'm not judging anyone for the decisions they make but I would pay for my kid to go to A&M if they wanted to before I would take money from an Oklahoma or Arkansas school. If they didn't care, I wouldn't push the issue. I just don't care for either state. Like I said, everyone has to do what's best for them though. At least, OP will get to gloat over his kid in football in most years.
MosesRAB-93
AG
As the father of twin 19 yo girls (sophomores) at U if A, I think it is a good school and (honestly) feels a lot like Aggieland in the early 90s.
Ag Tag
MosesRAB-93 said:

As the father of twin 19 yo girls (sophomores) at U if A, I think it is a good school and (honestly) feels a lot like Aggieland in the early 90s.
Which A is that Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, etc.?
oldschool87
AG
What I am going to say is only half of what I want to say!!!

Hug your kid every freaking day and tell him how impressed and proud you are of him!!!!

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Ag Tag said:

MosesRAB-93 said:

Which A is that Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, etc.?

Context clues are hard.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
I didn't bat an eye when my daughter chose CO School of Mines over A&M. It was actually my idea that we tour there. It was 100% the correct decision based on her personality. Small school, very outdoors type of people, nerds, conservative, the list goes on.
maroon89
AG
Even after all those years of connecting with A&M, my son chose the Hogs. We live in Arkansas, and there's a lot of free money he'd have to give up to go out of state. He's made a ton of friends from DFW, and many of their parents are Ags.
AggieOO
started a long post about a lot of things, but its pointless to most, so i start over with this...

to the OP, blame yourself. Don't get upset that your kid has $ available for in-state in arkansas...you live in arkansas. I highly doubt your kid dictated where he lives.
BaileyAg
AG
Wdiss said:

They just hand him more money and attention and he had a lot of friends from his school go there.

A&M just gave him an offer, but not to his #1 college. Hogs gave him in-state tuition plus more money plus the honors program.

Kid also visited Auburn. He liked it okay. So did his daddy and mom and sister. We could have been okay with Auburn. It's a lovely town and the people are so dang nice.

But Hogs?

I graduated in the 90's
My dad is '66
Brother is '94 as is his wife.
My kids were indoctrinated at a young age.
There's maroon all over my house, office, clothing, etc
I still watch the games, cry, yell, beat the couch, post, and fume.
My wish,of course, was that my kids would follow in my family's footsteps to A&M. It was my fervent hope.
Now, not so much.
I've watched this school change in ways it's hard to abide. It is trying (so hard) to be like every other institution in the country. It has a premium distinction in being unique but it seems like it's ignoring the specialness it has to morph into something that us older Ags don't understand or recognize.
It's woke. It's pandering.
I've pulled my financial support and told my sons to look around at other colleges.
I would still be thrilled if they went to A&M but not heartbroken if they went elsewhere.
BTW, Arkansas is beautiful.
I wouldn't let it bother me, OP...A&M has sold it's soul so we can be like everyone else
aeon-ag
Wdiss said:

But Hogs?
aeon-ag
BaileyAg said:

Wdiss said:

But Hogs?

I graduated in the 90's
My dad is '66
My wish,of course, was that my kids would follow in my family's footsteps to A&M. It was my fervent hope.
Now, not so much.
I've watched this school change in ways it's hard to abide. It is trying (so hard) to be like every other institution in the country. It has a premium distinction in being unique but it seems like it's ignoring the specialness it has to morph into something that us older Ags don't understand or recognize.
I've pulled my financial support and told my sons to look around at other colleges.
I would still be thrilled if they went to A&M but not heartbroken if they went elsewhere.
I wouldn't let it bother me, OP...A&M has sold it's soul so we can be like everyone else

I worked at A&M for 38 years only to be run off my some 30 year old girl from Maryland. She was half my age. A&M ain't what it used to be. I call on t.u. on the Brazos, I have told people not to send their kids to tua&m. '70
Divining Rod
I'm with some above who say it's not the same school I graduated from (in so many respects), but of course what schools are?

Looks like only one of my kids will be going there, although we're a big ol' Ag family. A&M does not dole out so much in schollies like so many other schools do, so can't blame those looking for more financial assistance in this ridiculous education-cost environment. In the end, I'm not worrying about the Aggie graduate thing too much, though I'm very proud to be a Former Student from a time that I fondly recall.
gigemags-99
AG
Divining Rod said:

I'm with some above who say it's not the same school I graduated from (in so many respects), but of course what schools are?

Looks like only one of my kids will be going there, although we're a big ol' Ag family. A&M does not dole out so much in schollies like so many other schools do, so can't blame those looking for more financial assistance in this ridiculous education-cost environment. In the end, I'm not worrying about the Aggie graduate thing too much, though I'm very proud to be a Former Student from a time that I fondly recall.

I'm somewhat in the same boat. Probably will only have one of my 3 go there because he is "A&M or bust". I'm not pushing him that way though.

In my opinion, A&M needs to bring back legacy. Legacy should not only be pushed, but be a priority. My kids would be 4th generation Aggies and it is just sad that isn't a factor. Think of how the culture and campus would be different today if legacy hadn't been abandoned.
BeastmodeAg
AG
Don't try to live vicariously through your children it leads to things like this.
Thunderstormr
AG
With three degrees from A&M I sure expected my daughters to seriously consider going there too. They didn't. My older daughter went to the last official bonfire with me. She attended an orientation event for high achievers they were wooing but was seriously turned off by the kind of personalities they were attracting. She was offered decent money but nothing like the full ride offered by OU and Tech. She settled on W&L, a small private school in Virginia. I never knew higher education could be that incredible. We've never regretted that decision and her younger sister never considered A&M and also went to a small private school. In my field, A&M professors are sending their kids elsewhere. I love my Aggie sports but academically it ain't what it used to be.
Traveler
AG
Thunderstormr said:

. I love my Aggie sports but academically it ain't what it used to be.

Lol A&M is much better than it used to be, academically.
That's why they don't have to pay all these high- achiving kids to attend any more. Just read this thread- most kids went somewhere else because of $$
AggieLumberjack
AG
I'm in the same boat. My daughter would be 4th generation Aggie and chose Arkansas. I'm proud that she chose to go away instead of one hour down the road but it will definitely be more difficult logistically.

I also don't think A&M is as special as it was when my wife and I attended. My son says he will go to A&M but my daughter said the same thing two years ago. I don't care except for tu or Baylor. Those are my hard no.
My wife is an Aggie and I am a Longhorn. From birth, we tried NOT to steer our child to either UT or A&M. We both wanted a better academic school that was the best fit.

Happily, our child is a fan of both UT / A&M; but, thriving at a top school.
Thunderstormr
AG
I believe A&M would be well served by capping enrollment and raising entrance standards.
Texmexag
AG
Lots of good old day syndrome around here. We all tend to idealize our college experience as we get older. Loved my time at A&M In the early 90's but my day is long gone. My oldest is now a student at A&M and is absolutely loving HER experience not reliving mine. I love seeing all changes and new things on campus and around town. I'm a little jealous to be honest…. But hey, yell at clouds if it makes you happy
94AGBQ
AG
My oldest is off to the University of Michigan this fall. He has been a die hard Aggie fan his whole life and never expected to go anywhere else. But when your major isn't offered at A&M, and a school like Michigan is offering you enough scholarship money to make it cheaper than in-state in Texas, it becomes a no brainer. Yes I have some minor concerns about the much more liberal culture at UM but I also know how I've raised my son and what his values are. My father and brother also graduated from Michigan and they are both very conservative people.

OP, not every kid wants to go to the same school as their parents. And some, like me, specifically want to go somewhere different. I never wanted to do exactly the same thing as my dad or mom and wanted something completely unique to me. Maybe your kid is the same. You seem like an involved and loving parent. I'm betting your kid will do well no matter where they end up. Even if it is Arkansas.

And thank him for raising the average IQ in that state!
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The state won't allow it. Since it was voted down to allow PUF funds to tech and UH, A&M and texas are the only 2 state tier 1 research schools. And since Texas claims they can't expand in Austin ( why they get the top 7-8 % rule) A&M must expand
Eagle78
He'll get a good education there. Even though Arkansas is a poor state they plow the lion's share of higher education funding into U of A at the expense of other state schools. I know. My dad went to business school there after WWII on the GI bill. Within 10 years of graduating he was a partner in a national accounting firm based out of New York City.

It's also a really beautiful campus. He'll do well there.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
At the end of the day, your son will have a degree with which to embark upon his life. That's the bottom line. Plus he'll have his name on a brick on that campus somewhere (which I think is an incredible tradition, Pig People aside).

I get the hate of Arkansas, which I've had since at least 1984. But imagine when A&M is ripping them a new one on the football field, whether at Kyle Field, Razorback Stadium, or Arlington, all the good-natured ribbing you can deliver your son's way.
#FJB
Mozart Paintings
AG
He'll be joining my daughter who is at orientation right now at Arkansas. I couldn't be more proud of her.
SinKiller
Really? This has to be a joke? Best of luck at Arkansas, young man. Go live out YOUR dreams, not someone else's.
NyAggie
AG
BaileyAg said:

Wdiss said:

But Hogs?

I graduated in the 90's
My dad is '66
Now, not so much.

Got news fir you: ALL college are like that these days

A&M is less like that than others, but that's the way everything, especially education, is rolling these days

Try as we might to prevent it, the country is changing and not for the better
A-A Ron
Texmexag said:

Lots of good old day syndrome around here. We all tend to idealize our college experience as we get older. Loved my time at A&M In the early 90's but my day is long gone. My oldest is now a student at A&M and is absolutely loving HER experience not reliving mine. I love seeing all changes and new things on campus and around town. I'm a little jealous to be honest…. But hey, yell at clouds if it makes you happy
THIS!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.