Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is Calzada our next Mond?

8,976 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rjkiv04
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He could realistically be here until the 2025 season.
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious
Mond did look pretty bad early on ...
NoahAg
Mond, as in 2nd best Aggie QB of all time, Mond? We should be so lucky.
But no, Haynes will start when he comes back.
Zach will transfer after Weigman signs.
TexAgs will clamor for the backup to take over during the first game of 2022.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

Mond, as in 2nd best Aggie QB of all time, Mond?

I can think of one or two scholarship QBs who werent better than mond since 2000.

Edit: now I can think of 4
Tibbers
You're a sage Noah. Always were.
NyAggie
AG
NoahAg said:

Mond, as in 2nd best Aggie QB of all time, Mond? We should be so lucky.
But no, Haynes will start when he comes back.
Zach will transfer after Weigman signs.
TexAgs will clamor for the backup to take over during the first game of 2022.
this!

if king gains experience this year, he will have the inside track to start in 2022

however, if he's out the remainder of the year then it's anyone's ball game for 22 between King and Weigman

Calzada will transfer somewhere else and have a Starkel-like career
Alpha Texan
AG
Alpha Texan
AG
RingOfive
AG
Reggie.
Dr.Pepper7
AG
This is not happening. I'm sorry OP but Calzada is not our next Mond with the quality of QB A&M will have next season.

I personally see Calzada sticking around after this season and finishing out school. Grad transfer for a season is possible, but he doesnt particular have the best game tape.

Now for the other point of view...... The only way Calzada sticks around and turns into our next Mond is if he beats Bama on Saturday hahaha
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Johnson and Knight were not better than Mond.

I forgot Starkel played 11 games for us. Dustin Long too. I retract my claim.
AggieAL1
It would not be surprising if King doesn't see the field again this year. It appears he was still on a scooter this week and when he becomes ambulatory he will be at or near the starting point for the season's physical regimen.

Then it takes time to get over the psychological aspects of a major injury. Most players can't perform with full abandon for some time. Why would Fisher chance it just in the hopes of adding a win or two to a dismal record?

Meanwhile, Calzada is Fisher's kind of guy. You're right, another Mond. While not progressing much in the fans' eyes, what does Fisher see in Calzada's performances? If in each game, he grasps more of Fisher's vision, Calzada could hold his spot regardless of how we close the year.

Fisher will be with us a long time. Calzada may be too.
NoahAg
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Quote:

Mond, as in 2nd best Aggie QB of all time, Mond?

I can think of one or two scholarship QBs who werent better than mond since 2000.

Edit: now I can think of 4
JFF clearly being #1. Who else since 2000 was better? I'd say Reggie was more talented, but unfortunately was forced into a bad system for him. Tannehill would be close, I guess. Kyle and Kyler didn't do anything here. Knight could run, that's about it.
Dr.Pepper7
AG
AggieAL1 said:

It would not be surprising if King doesn't see the field again this year. It appears he was still on a scooter this week and when he becomes ambulatory he will be at or near the starting point for the season's physical regimen.

Then it takes time to get over the psychological aspects of a major injury. Most players can't perform with full abandon for some time. Why would Fisher chance it just in the hopes of adding a win or two to a dismal record?

Meanwhile, Calzada is Fisher's kind of guy. You're right, another Mond. While not progressing much in the fans' eyes, what does Fisher see in Calzada's performances? If in each game, he grasps more of Fisher's vision, Calzada could hold his spot regardless of how we close the year.

Woah.....

1. If Haynes is game capable why would Jimbo not want his QB1 to get meaningful game experience heading into next season...

2. This is just false. If Calzada was Jimbo's guy than he would have won QB1 in the off-season and been ready for action considering he's been in the system for 3 years.

3. Look at Jimbo facial expressions with Calzada... He looks at him like wtffff are you doing son.

Now I do wish Calzada the best and want him to play well in the coming weeks. I'm pulling for the kid, but to think this is Jimbo guy is just not right. If Calzada truly was understanding the system more and more than the playbook would be expanding instead of shrinking.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Kellen Mond holds the record for passing yards (9,661) and passing touchdowns (71) at Texas A&M.

Passing yards and touchdowns would be nice right now.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

Kellen Mond holds the record for passing yards (9,661) and passing touchdowns (71) at Texas A&M.

That is more a product of him being a 4 year starter than anything else, 3 1/2 if you want to get picky I guess.

I don't think King plays again this season, thought it would be nice if could start the last 4 after the bye week.
AggieAL1
Dr.Pepper7 said:

AggieAL1 said:

Woah.....

1. If Haynes is game capable why would Jimbo not want his QB1 to get meaningful game experience heading into next season...

2. This is just false. If Calzada was Jimbo's guy than he would have won QB1 in the off-season and been ready for action considering he's been in the system for 3 years.

3. Look at Jimbo facial expressions with Calzada... He looks at him like wtffff are you doing son.

Now I do wish Calzada the best and want him to play well in the coming weeks. I'm pulling for the kid, but to think this is Jimbo guy is just not right. If Calzada truly was understanding the system more and more than the playbook would be expanding instead of shrinking.
1, To keep him from getting killed twice in the same year. Let the line get the experience heading into next year.

2. I didn't say he was Fisher's guy. I said he was Fisher's kind of guy. King is too. But King is hurt and (see above).

3. Go back to 2018 and watch Fisher's face as Mond read the tea leaves.

By the way, what in Fisher's playbook is not open? If you're going to say deep passes, get out your stopwatch and log how much time Calzada really has had to read and throw.
Deputy Travis Junior
I'm not a full blown Mond hater, but I did think he was average at best for 3 of 4 years (before putting it all together as a senior), and his comments on the corps were less than endearing.

That said, comparing his play on the field to Calzada's is a complete joke. Yes, Mond threw some balls at the moon, but he could always semi reliably string drives together, even as a true fish. Calzada, in his third year in the program, was utterly helpless against Arkansas and Colorado, and pedestrian against a pretty bad MSU defense. He's probably one of the 5-10 worst qbs in D-1. I'm not saying that to be mean, it's just what the stats scream.
TyperWoods
AggieArchitect04 said:

We don't have 4 years to wait.

And before anyone says this is year 3 for Calzada, it's not the same because he's only had such little in-game experience.
Sparkie
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

Jameis Winston while playing for the Bucs has more yardage than Brady.

Jameis Winston must be better than Brady.

Brilliant!
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
RingOfive said:

Reggie.
With all due respect, Reggie was not drafted in the 3rd round. He wasn't even drafted as a quarterback. Reggie's best season was 7-5 and never won a bowl game. Mond's was 9-1 and 3-0 in bowls including a Sugarbowl. Mond bested Reggie in just about every passing statistic and rushing statistic but yards per rush. I'd put Reggie as a close 3rd. Maybe 4th behind Tannehill.
Deputy Travis Junior
I gotta call bs here. most upper classmen finally getting their first real playing time don't look like true fish. Sure they might have some jitters, but overall they look like they know what they're doing. Calzada looks so clueless that it's likely that he just isn't a d-1 quality player.
TyperWoods
Deputy Travis Junior said:

I gotta call bs here. most upper classmen finally getting their first real playing time don't look like true fish. Sure they might have some jitters, but overall they look like they know what they're doing. Calzada looks so clueless that it's likely that he just isn't a d-1 quality player.

The point is you can't compare to a 3 year starter, not if he's any good. (Which so far, he ain't)
Sparkie
AG
Tannehill >> Mond

Tannehill was the best receiver and qb on the team. He had to split reps between both positions with more time spent practicing to be a receiver.

He threw for 450 yards his first start.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Sparkie said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

Brilliant!
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

You can qualify it however you want, but the bottom line is, based on his output, he was one of the better quarterbacks A&M has had.
TyperWoods
AggieArchitect04 said:

Sparkie said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

Brilliant!

You can qualify it however you want, but the bottom line is, based on his longevity as QB1, he was better numbers than most of quarterbacks A&M has had.

Fixed it for you.
Sparkie
AG
Tannehill >> Mond

Tannehill was the best receiver and qb on the team. He had to split reps between both positions with more time spent practicing to be a receiver.

AggieArchitect04
AG
TyperWoods said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

Sparkie said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

Brilliant!

You can qualify it however you want, but the bottom line is, based on his longevity as QB1, he was better numbers than most of quarterbacks A&M has had.

Fixed it for you.
That's not fixing anything. It's just being contrarian.
And, you're still wrong. He doesn't have "better numbers than most A&M quarterbacks".
He has better numbers than ALL A&M quarterbacks in the categories I listed. That's what having a record means.

"based on his longevity"...lol. He won the starting job as a freshman and retained it throughout college.
He didn't get beat out.
He didn't get hurt.
He didn't get arrested.
He didn't get kicked off the team.
He didn't transfer.
He didn't declare early.
He didn't opt out.

All he did was what he needed to do to have a larger body of work that translated into success on the field.
Sparkie
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

TyperWoods said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

Sparkie said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

Brilliant!

Fixed it for you.
And, you're still wrong. He doesn't have "better numbers than most A&M quarterbacks".
He has better numbers than ALL A&M quarterbacks. That's what having a record means.

"based on his longevity"...lol. He won the starting job as a freshman and retained it throughout college.
He didn't get beat out.
He didn't get hurt.
He didn't get arrested.
He didn't transfer.
He didn't declare early.
He didn't opt out.

All he did was what he needed to do to have a larger body of work that translated into success on the field.

You funny as ***** He was a good QB because he didnt get arrested.

Love'in it. Keep it coming..
AggieArchitect04
AG
Sparkie said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

TyperWoods said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

Sparkie said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

Brilliant!

Fixed it for you.
He has better numbers than ALL A&M quarterbacks. That's what having a record means.

He didn't get beat out.
He didn't get hurt.
He didn't get arrested.
He didn't transfer.
He didn't declare early.
He didn't opt out.

You funny as ***** He was a good QB because he didnt get arrested.

Love'in it. Keep it coming..
Since we've had some QBs, notable ones in fact, get arrested it's not inconsequential. There's a reason Mond still has a job in the NFL and Manziel is...actually what is he doing now?

I'm not claiming that Mond is the greatest A&M QB. I'm just saying he's one of the better ones A&M has had.
Sq 17
Dr.Pepper7 said:

This is not happening. I'm sorry OP but Calzada is not our next Mond with the quality of QB A&M will have next season.

I personally see Calzada sticking around after this season and finishing out school. Grad transfer for a season is possible, but he doesnt particular have the best game tape.

Now for the other point of view...... The only way Calzada sticks around and turns into our next Mond is if he beats Bama on Saturday hahaha

If calzada is not permanently damaged in the loss to Bama

winning out is quite possible.
Mizzou &USCe are next two games
Both winnable and by then the o line might be better and Calzada will have 6 starts. D running better online play and not terrible QB play

Don't mistake me as a sunshine pumper this is a flawed and mediocre team. After oct 9 the Ags have nothing but flawed and mediocre teams on the schedule
BoerneGator
AG
Sparkie said:

Tannehill >> Mond

This is objectively true!

Tanny proved his metal when finally given the chance. His pro career speaks for itself, and proves he was overlooked as a collegian for too long! If Tanny had the same number of reps (as KM) as the starter at A&M, HIS name would be on all the records instead of Mond's.
EliteZags
AG

he was taking into account accomplishments, obvs a lot of it was on Tanny's defense but Mond closed out games his final year
TyperWoods
AggieArchitect04 said:

TyperWoods said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

Sparkie said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

Brilliant!

Fixed it for you.
He has better numbers than ALL A&M quarterbacks in the categories I listed. That's what having a record means.

He didn't get beat out.
He didn't get hurt.
He didn't get arrested.
He didn't transfer.
He didn't declare early.
He didn't opt out.

He "won" the starting job when Starkel got injured. Did he win it later in the year? Debatable. Starkle played again, I believe even started a game, so Mond didn't keep it throughout college. Not to mention he quit the team after last year's Orange Bowl.

Did he win the starting job his Soph year? Yes.
EliteZags
AG
lol "quit the team" as in played 4 years, graduated, and got drafted 3rd round
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.