Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What this Sip has heard

37,487 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Emilio Fantastico
Amarillo Slim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UT 93 said:

I used to be a regular on this board but once aTm left for the SEC I pretty much quit coming to this board.

Before I state what I've heard a few things.

I played for UT during the early 90's when we got our asses absolutely destroyed by the Wrecking Crew outside of the 90 season. I have the utmost respect for the guys I played against back in those days and I was crushed when learning of the passing of Rodney Thomas back in 2014. I simply had unbelievable respect for him on and off the field.

I also totally understand and will be the first to admit that Texas killed the Big 12 conference. I know others say Texas killed the SWC but I don't buy that narrative. But the Big 12, Texas ego and always dictating everything ruined what imop could have been a well positioned conference for growth in the future. I despised Deloss Dodss, Fenves and almost all of UT's administration during those years.

I'm not some sort of BMD but I am fairly well connected and so you can take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

OU was the originator which should not be that surprising. They have been disgruntled with the Big 12 for quite some time but Texas and OU made the decision they were a package deal several years ago.

The schools made the decision in about 2019 that the likelihood either would extend their GOR past 2025 was unlikely.

Texas and OU reached out to SEC in the late November/Early December time frame. I was told only a few schools were brought in initially with those likely being Bama, Auburn, Georgia and Florida. Things starting moving fairly quickly from then on with aTm, Arkansas and Mizzou being kept in the dark.

The next part I struggle to accept but this is what I heard. When Texas hired Sark and his staff (several from Bama) part of their messaging was that Texas and OU would be moving to the SEC as these coaches were reluctant to leave the SEC. Texas discussed this with Beard when he came over from Tech.

If the move occurs look for no later than 2023 and it could be as early as 2022.

Why is the SEC interested. Obviously speculative but some of the notes I've heard.

While aTm and LSU deliver much of East Texas and the Houston markets they have not really had a great ratings impact on the rest of Texas especially the I-35 corridor from San Antonio to DFW and West. Adding Texas and OU delivers almost the entire Texas market plus OK.

There is concern of a Texas/OU package with Notre Dame to either the Big 10 or ACC..

I've heard that the new media rights package will move the payday per school from $44M per year to over $60M per year..

Simply put the Texas and OU brands were something that the SEC did not think they could pass up.

The belief is the announcement could come as early as 1st week of August if not sooner. However, this is not a done deal yet and still a fluid situation.

I will say as a former player, removing all of the politics from the table, I look forward to this game being played again. All I have to do is look at the atmosphere earlier this year at Olsen field on a Tuesday night that speaks to the fun of the games between these two universities. Yet at the same time I fully understand why aTm fans and administrators are 100000X against this realignment.

Hook'Em
Thanks for taking the time to post. All very logical so believable. Come visit anytime.
"Real happiness comes not from getting what we desire; but celebrating what we have."
MSU/SECALUM
aggiehawg said:

Sq 12 Ag said:

Will the SEC ban "horns down?"
They better not. If the SEC kowtows to the sips on that, then they are already being coddled by the league office.
We did the horns down at the CWS and nothing happened. Texas will have to get over it.
benchmark
AG
Amarillo Slim said:

Thanks for taking the time to post. All very logical so believable. Come visit anytime.
No problem with 'horns trying to have a civilized discussion in this forum. However, the financial comments were neither logical or believable. Firstly, Tx and OU won't increase SEC distributions with new in-state cable subscriptions. Impossible, Not true. Secondly, SEC distributions were already forecast to reach $60 million before adding OU and Texas. Again, not true

If adding OU and Texas pushes per school future distributions to say $70 million, then that would be HUGE ... because that's adding almost $300 million/year to the SEC's current forecast.
StraightAg
angus55 said:

I will say that your Deloss sliver point is BS. AGGIES have delivered all of Texas. The SEC is interested more in keeping them out of Big 10 if tu and meth u are free agents vs. needing ratings.

I live in WestTX and we don't deliver **** out here. You can't get an SEC game on arc out here. The guy is right, ut and ou will help deliver the rest of the state.
redjalapeno-87
Bobaloo said:

Texas and OU need the SEC. The SEC does not need Texas and OU. I might be in the minority, but I effectively stopped watching Texas football in 2012. In the three plus decades prior to 2012, I watched A&M and Texas in that order. I could name the starting lineups for both teams and celebrated wildly when Texas got beat. Now? Football Saturday's are glorious in the SEC. Even bad matchups are good games. I will watch maybe 10 minutes of the Texas/OU game on Saturday morning (11:00 AM kickoffs are beyond stupid for that game). Texas and OU can't survive in the XII. I believe the will thrive in the SEC and their fans will be the biggest winners. The SEC is light years better.
Texsa and OU need a bailout from their failure of a conference they created and ran in the ground. I hope they end up in the Aggie pod, so we can BTHO them every year with an SEC audience. The SEC ain't no free ride to playoff like their setup in the Big 12.
DukeMu
Quote:

There is concern of a Texas/OU package with Notre Dame to ...the Big 10

This is what's happening. Nothing else.
DukeMu
redjalapeno-87 said:

Bobaloo said:

Texas and OU need the SEC. The SEC does not need Texas and OU. I might be in the minority, but I effectively stopped watching Texas football in 2012. In the three plus decades prior to 2012, I watched A&M and Texas in that order. I could name the starting lineups for both teams and celebrated wildly when Texas got beat. Now? Football Saturday's are glorious in the SEC. Even bad matchups are good games. I will watch maybe 10 minutes of the Texas/OU game on Saturday morning (11:00 AM kickoffs are beyond stupid for that game). Texas and OU can't survive in the XII. I believe the will thrive in the SEC and their fans will be the biggest winners. The SEC is light years better.
Texsa and OU need a bailout from their failure of a conference they created and ran in the ground. I hope they end up in the Aggie pod, so we can BTHO them every year with an SEC audience. The SEC ain't no free ride to playoff like their setup in the Big 12.
Yep.

Here are my pod predictions:

SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIAL - all night games, all the time
OU
A&M
t.u.
LSU

COVID CUBE
Arkansas
Mizzou
Ole Miss
Miss State

BAMALAMA DINGDONG
Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
Vandy

SURF AND TURF
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Kensucky
redjalapeno-87
Trade out LSU and Arky. I love the beatdowns we give Arky every year. And I know they want Texsa to pad their Win column every year.
dcg4403
AG
Tex117 said:

UT 93 said:

Simply put the Texas and OU brands were something that the SEC did not think they could pass up.

You posted alot of words, but this is all that matters.

Its not about TV and markets. Thats now where college football is headed. This is an old way of thinking.

The future of college football is now in an arms race to get as most eyes on players as possible no matter where they are in the country. This means streaming. This means NIL.

Moreover, with the addition of Texas and OU, the SEC becomes the defacto axis of college athletics...strong enough even to break with the NCAA if they wanted.

This was probably inevitable.....its sucks for the Aggies in the short term, but long term...it will equal out.

What the SEC doesn't understand is that it will lose the whole "Saturday Down South" vibe. Again, maybe that was inevitable with the NIL thing going on.

Also, the SEC underestimtes not only Texas's ability to exert power and influence (even when they lose on the field), but A&Ms potential to side with Texas on things. If Texas and Texas A&M agree to work together on a few things....it will accelerate the stripping of the power of the Old Guard SEC.

Texas A&M I think should actually bury the hatcht quickly with Texas....and position itself as a swing vote between both the Old Guard and Texas...We can actually leverage the power of Texas and the Old Guard to our advantage if we play it right.

Finally some logic with forward thinking!!!! Come on, Ags, this great post is exactly what I am talking about. Let's move past our pride and see the big picture.

Also wholeheartedly agree that UT and ATM can potentially work together to empower themselves within the SEC but it is gonna take awhile for anyone to trust UT. The current leadership is scum. But things can change....
_mpaul
AG
dcg4403 said:

Tex117 said:

UT 93 said:

You posted alot of words, but this is all that matters.

Its not about TV and markets. Thats now where college football is headed. This is an old way of thinking.

The future of college football is now in an arms race to get as most eyes on players as possible no matter where they are in the country. This means streaming. This means NIL.

Moreover, with the addition of Texas and OU, the SEC becomes the defacto axis of college athletics...strong enough even to break with the NCAA if they wanted.

This was probably inevitable.....its sucks for the Aggies in the short term, but long term...it will equal out.

What the SEC doesn't understand is that it will lose the whole "Saturday Down South" vibe. Again, maybe that was inevitable with the NIL thing going on.

Also, the SEC underestimtes not only Texas's ability to exert power and influence (even when they lose on the field), but A&Ms potential to side with Texas on things. If Texas and Texas A&M agree to work together on a few things....it will accelerate the stripping of the power of the Old Guard SEC.

Texas A&M I think should actually bury the hatcht quickly with Texas....and position itself as a swing vote between both the Old Guard and Texas...We can actually leverage the power of Texas and the Old Guard to our advantage if we play it right.

Finally some logic with forward thinking!!!! Come on, Ags, this great post is exactly what I am talking about. Let's move past our pride and see the big picture.

Also wholeheartedly agree that UT and ATM can potentially work together to empower themselves within the SEC but it is gonna take awhile for anyone to trust UT. The current leadership is scum. But things can change....
No. This is like Republicans trying to work with Democrats. Do the Democrats ever reciprocate? No. Does anything ever change? No. Do the Democrats continue to backstab and play dirty? Yes. Screw the politics. F the SEC and F tu if this happens.
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
mortal
AG
DukeMu, I agree with most of your placements, but I doubt they would do that to LSU. Our fourth pod member might be Arkansas, but I expect that instead of LSU, it will be Mizzou.

LSU goes with Arkansas, Miss., and State.- all long-time rivalries with lots of fan interest.

Kentucky, Tenn., Vandy and SC makes more sense geography-wise, but your plan is more likely. They would never put Ala., Auburn, Georgia and Florida in the same pod, would they?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Rather than stick with two divisions, SEC Network throws out the idea of four four-team "pods" for the league. That would allow for more frequent games between teams in different pods.

In this proposal, the SEC bumps up to a nine-game conference format. This would protect some of the major SEC rivalries, including Florida-Georgia, Georgia-South Carolina, Alabama-Auburn, Alabama-Tennessee, Mississippi State-Ole Miss, and the incoming Oklahoma-Texas rivalry. Notably, they have Texas A&M and Texas in different pods, so they'd only play every other season.

After the bombshell news dropped on Wednesday, we got a ton of non-denials and no-comments from most at SEC Media Days, aside from Texas A&M which made it fairly clear they're not on board. The SEC Network, which is co-owned by ESPN, probably couldn't pass on the chance to get some great content out of these rumors, but it remains very notable that they dedicated legitimate time to it at all.

Link
Slicer97
AG
redjalapeno-87 said:

Trade out LSU and Arky. I love the beatdowns we give Arky every year. And I know they want Texsa to pad their Win column every year.

Screw that. I want LSU. Not some 3rd-tier also-ran like Arky.
FtBendTxAg
AG
OP was just a mishmash of every ****ing rumor on the net. GTFO sip.
redjalapeno-87
Slicer97 said:

redjalapeno-87 said:

Screw that. I want LSU. Not some 3rd-tier also-ran like Arky.
I don't believe the SEC would relegate LSU to the Big 12 pod. Likely it would be Missouri since they love Okie. But we have no history of note with Mizz that is fun. But we hate Arky going way back and the feeling is mutual. And we are on a winning streak of 9 games or so, and that drives them even crazier than they already are.
TexasRebel
AG
Yep.

If somehow this happens and it's in pod form, it'll be a Big 12-8 pod.

Get ready for Mizzou, Owho, and t.u.
Jawbreaker
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

Thanks for posting. I wish your school and athletic department nothing but the worst.

Post of the year.
SidetrackAg
AG
DukeMu said:

Quote:

There is concern of a Texas/OU package with Notre Dame to ...the Big 10

This is what's happening. Nothing else.
Hehateme1
My post was uncalled for ....

Sorry
Panama Red
AG
Only thing I take issue with is Sarkisian being told because he didn't want to leave the SEC. he'd take that job (as would any OC) in a heartbeat regardless of conference.

Thanks for posting
aggiehawg
AG
Panama Red said:

Only thing I take issue with is Sarkisian being told because he didn't want to leave the SEC. he'd take that job (as would any OC) in a heartbeat regardless of conference.

Thanks for posting
Damn, Sark's already back on the bottle then. This train wreck is getting started in fine form. Too funny.
Nino Brown
I still think Kansas and Iowa State are headed to Big 10 and eventually so is Mizzou. Then Clemson joins SEC. Maybe there's something more to Mizzou AD stepping down. Odd timing.
imjustsayin
AG
Bill Superman said:

Screw that.

It's time we throw our weight around. We should threaten to leave the conference. We can go back to the big12 and actually make something of it. Invite UH and SMU back and maybe even invite Missouri, Arkansas and whoever the hell else would join and run the show.

We need to quit pretending like we can't do things on our own. Hell I'd even prefer to go independent like ND than put up with this garbage.

This is small minded thinking. Sorry but this is a terrible idea.
Spyderman
AG
We were effectively sacrificed at the alter of the Cult O The Green headquartered in Birmingham. We fed the beast, now we are the meal.

Embrace it. The only good outcome is CFB realizes its a charade and folds up.

Eliminate all athletic scholarships
Take down all the silly/primitive statues

and please get us a new entrance song for our intermural team at Kyle
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
halfastros81
AG
If they do pods we'll get Arky instead of LSU imo.
dcAg
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/
TexasRebel
AG
halfastros81 said:

You're joking right?

It'll be us, Mizzou, OU, and t.u.
We'll call it the Big 4.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
TexasRebel said:

halfastros81 said:

You're joking right?

It'll be us, Mizzou, OU, and t.u.
We'll call it the Big 4.

Ugh, what a ****ty pod

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.