Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What this Sip has heard

37,613 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Emilio Fantastico
Tex117
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redjalapeno-87 said:

Slicer97 said:

It's too bad that Bama, Auburn, Florida, and Georgia are too short-sighted to remember that Nebraska ran the Big 8. Until it didn't.
BAMA, Aubie, Fluridah, and George are "hicks" and "rednecks" to Texsa. They know nothing of Texsa building full of attorneys and vast media/propaganda complex. The politics they will lose.
They will lose the politics game, and still not understand how even while they are winning football games.

But, this is what they want. Hubris before the fall.

Today's winner for the General Board Burrito Lottery is:

Tex117
Jakovasaur
This made me laugh so hard. Kudos.
Jakovasaur
Just like Texas, I too am back.
Captain Caveman
AG
**** off and tuck Fexas
AzAg80
AG
cavscout96 said:

Quote:

While aTm and LSU deliver much of East Texas and the Houston markets they have not really had a great ratings impact on the rest of Texas especially the I-35 corridor from San Antonio to DFW and West. Adding Texas and OU delivers almost the entire Texas market plus OK.
irrelevant. not how cable subscriptions work.

whether they are watching us or not, they are already paying for SECN and the SEC games on ESPN
Paying the SECN subscription is one thing. Being tuned to the game is another. Don't think your cable box is not reporting back who's watching what. Ratings translate into $$$.

superunknown
AG
AzAg80 said:

cavscout96 said:

Quote:

While aTm and LSU deliver much of East Texas and the Houston markets they have not really had a great ratings impact on the rest of Texas especially the I-35 corridor from San Antonio to DFW and West. Adding Texas and OU delivers almost the entire Texas market plus OK.
irrelevant. not how cable subscriptions work.

whether they are watching us or not, they are already paying for SECN and the SEC games on ESPN
Paying the SECN subscription is one thing. Being tuned to the game is another. Don't think your cable box is not reporting back who's watching what. Ratings translate into $$$.

Just to add...subscription fees are the bulk of the money but I feel like this is setting up for the contract after the next one. Texas A&M delivers the ability to say the SEC covers Texas. It doesn't deliver a guarantee of ratings, although I have no doubt we do deliver ratings.

When I say "the contract after the next one" I'm talking about how the OTT/digital offerings are going to carry more sway than cable subscription rates. You can see a lot more detailed information on OTT delivery etc than you ever could with good ol Nielseb ratings. That's where this is going.

Think of it this way...subscriptions (and broadcast revenue projections based on past ratings) provide the baseline guarantee of $X million per school. For ESPN or Fox etc to make the money they need to make (and live sports are one of the top money makers in any media operator's portfolio) the ratings need to deliver. Adding Texas and OU makes every gameslot every weekend valuable because you can slot either of them vs any opponent and nail down good ratings in what you might normally call the 3rd or 4th or 5th best match-up of the week.

The Vandys and Mizzous are destined for the worst slots on alt-SEC as they usually are. But this makes the overall inventory of games better every week.

Part of me thinks it's hilarious that those Texas a-holes that have been slinging bs talking trash about the SEC since we left are now literally begging to get in. I love that we went out on our own. I do not miss Texas or their fans in any way shape or form, and I hate that this is happening but if there's this much smoke....ugh. It's probably happening. Like running into your damn ex at the biggest and best party. Awful.

Let's just hope Jimbo can put a damn good team on the field in the next few years that can cement Texas into that 5th or 6th slot in the SEC every year.

aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Adding Texas and OU makes every gameslot every weekend valuable because you can slot either of them vs any opponent and nail down good ratings in what you might normally call the 3rd or 4th or 5th best match-up of the week.
Why didn't that work for the media partners of the Big XII then? Sooners have b****ed about the 11:00AM slot for several years now. Fox was losing money on that.
Aggieair
2thFixinAg said:

Aggieair said:

Wow, so now instead of an extra $10M a year it's $15M? I can't wait for it to be $20M tomorrow.

If OU/tu actually added $15M a year to the existing members, that would mean they're bringing in an extra $300M a year to the conference, at least, for a total of over $1.05B in conference revenue. That's 88% of what the Big 12 paid out to it's members last year ($340M). Seems pretty arrogant to assume those 2 schools account for 88% of the Big 12's revenue, especially for a "brand" whose network lost money for at least the first 5 years in its existence.

Furthermore, tu/OU already have it made in the Big 12 because of the upcoming 6 highest ranked CCG autobids. Why add at least 2 more losses to your schedule in the SEC and pass up a free playoff spot? The extra money means nothing if your program can't win anything and becomes irrelevant. And tu has to give up its $15M a year from the LHN.

Also, OP's friends clearly haven't bothered to look at Big 12 bylaws.

1. Teams can't leave without 18 months notice. So there's no way they're joining the SEC for the 2022 season.

2. Both teams owe almost $80M each as a buyout fee under normal circumstances.

3. Even then, the Big 12 still owns their Tier 1 and 2 media rights through the 24-25 season. It makes absolutely no sense.

If the conference folds as everyone bails like rats from a sinking ship then what happens to your enumerations?
If they're smart, they'll stick together long enough to make tu and OU pay their way out. One of the topics discussed at the conference call was all 8 schools joining the PAC for a PAC-20.

If they do that, then they just need to hold OU and tu hostage until the media rights expire, then 8 get to split OU and tu's $160M buyout fee, then join the PAC for free.

If two more teams jump ship independently, then the conference dissolves. OU and tu would be off the hook with the B12. FOX may try to legally go after individual schools to collect lost revenue under breach of contract, but who knows.
VictoryLapAg
AG
Thanks for the post. I'm excited about the game being played again. We've gone up against the best in the SEC for the past 10 years and I have zero concerns about playing Texas or OU at this point. Watching and going to A&M/Texas games were some of my best memories growing up so this should be fun. Gig 'em
MAJ B
AG
Appreciate your post!

Gig'em
C2 Ag 93
Interesting comments from the OP. I respect the fact he dropped in to give a view and what he may know.

On the point about whether Texas killed the SWC, yes, they did. I concede it was also the beginnings of conferences aligning around money, and the SWC was essentially a regional, one state conference, so not attractive anymore to the powers that be. So in that sense, not Texas's fault. But when you add the behavior on top, it was the death nail, and the SWC couldn't attract other schools to save its life. Arkansas left for a reason, LSU wouldn't have even pondered a switch from the SEC, etc. One has to ask why the SWC couldn't expand, but implode. Of course it still would have had to kick Rice and SMU, likely UH out as well. But again, one has to ask what the common denominator was.
Agsrback12
The fact that this was leaked early may still provide some politicking. I hope we have some smooth people who can convince at least three schools to vote no one way or another.
Slicer97
AG
Agsrback12 said:

The fact that this was leaked early may still provide some politicking. I hope we have some smooth people who can convince at least three schools to vote no one way or another.

My understanding from everything I've seen here indicates that ship sailed a while back.
northeastag
AG
It's still not exactly clear why OU was driving this bus. They play the easiest cream puff schedule to get into either the playoff or at least the conversion each year. And they already recruit the hell out of the state of Texas. Without playoff expansion to 12 teams they probably won't sniff the playoffs for years, and that may tank recruiting.

But I would have taken them without a doubt if they weren't packaged with Texas.
Nino Brown
I had no clue Texas still played football? Seems odd followiing a school they hate to a conference they made fun of. Leave your dildos at home please.
superunknown
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Adding Texas and OU makes every gameslot every weekend valuable because you can slot either of them vs any opponent and nail down good ratings in what you might normally call the 3rd or 4th or 5th best match-up of the week.
Why didn't that work for the media partners of the Big XII then? Sooners have b****ed about the 11:00AM slot for several years now. Fox was losing money on that.

Really?

OU vs anyone that's not Texas = who gives a damn?
Tx vs anyone that's not OU = who gives a damn?

How many big 12 games does anyone outside that conference care about? How many have any sort of NC implications? 0.

OU vs Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU = marquee match-up. Depending on the other match-ups that week, OU may wind up as the 2nd or 3rd biggest game in the SEC that week.

Not even speculating how many games of ours are marquee match-ups. And I don't want to even put that evil (prospective horn match-ups) into the world any earlier than it has to be.

Look at week 6 in 2019. Best game? Alabama vs a&m. 2nd best? Georgia vs Auburn. 3rd? Hmm. Maybe USC vs UT? Maybe LSU vs UK?

Slot a projected OU vs LSU as the 3rd best game that week. See what I'm saying now? Slot OUs game vs their opponent wherever you like but you're just rearranging the order of the marquee games and OU is gonna eat before UK does, before either Mississippi school does, or USC, Vanderbilt, etc.
one MEEN Ag
AG

Texas A&M I think should actually bury the hatcht quickly with Texas....and position itself as a swing vote between both the Old Guard and Texas...We can actually leverage the power of Texas and the Old Guard to our advantage if we play it right.

A&M also has to be amicable with Sankey. A&M will never court any influence if it wants to run Sankey out of town every time they seen him and Tu rolls out the red carpet.

If Sankey is here to stay, you voice your displeasure, fight what you can, and then try to reestablish yourself. A&M is now fighting to stay out of an OU/Tu/Missou or Arky pod.
mgreen
Great post OP.
West Point Aggie
AG
mgreen said:

Great post OP.

Not really, typical sip condescension and mis-info, which is to be expected from those people.
Let’s Go Brandon!
Nino Brown
OU is the ***** in all of this. At least tu's little *****. No problem leaving OSU now. Vote them both down.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/news/story?id=5319856
TxAgswin
AG
You are all caught up on your word count quota for the decade.

I saved the second half to read before bed. Can't wait to see how it ends.
"A house divided cannot stand"

Abraham Lincoln
Central Committee
AG
Quote:

This is where I stopped. Information absolutely false. A&M delivered these markets and led in Austin.

The only thing tu/ou add is Oklahoma and deep south Texas. That's it, and it is not worth the (tsip floated rumor) of $2 billion.
We may not always get what we want. We may not always get what we need. Just so we don't get what we deserve.
ReelAg6
Bill Superman said:

Screw that.

It's time we throw our weight around. We should threaten to leave the conference. We can go back to the big12 and actually make something of it. Invite UH and SMU back and maybe even invite Missouri, Arkansas and whoever the hell else would join and run the show.

We need to quit pretending like we can't do things on our own. Hell I'd even prefer to go independent like ND than put up with this garbage.

You clearly don't understand what's happening from a macro perspective. The top 60 teams or so will find a home in 2-3 conferences and the rest will be left in the cold. Let's man up and win. We have all the resources to compete with Texas from politics to NIL. Let's dominate them across the board.
AWP 97
AG
Guys, you are missing the larger point. tu and ou really dominate the 11am time slot. It's important that the SEC capture those eyeballs before they show A&M and the other marquee teams later in the day.
Moon Shadow
IF Sark "bought" the fictional "we are going to the SEC" BS (or should I say "steer" poop), he sure didn't look at Nick's record with former assistants. Just saying!
skolclemson
"
I have stated before, you are not the enemy today, Oregon, OSU and Clemson are the enemy especially with NIL.

Those schools are nothing without Texas recruits, I mean nothing."

I came here just to read yalls opinion on all this and didnt expect to see clemson getting dragged through the mud. We had a 3* TE in 2016 and then 1 recruit with each of the 2020-2022 upcoming class from the state of TX. Clemsons success is based on Florida, Georgia, and the eastern southeast and has little if anything to do with Texas. Clemson being a bigger threat to your recruiting than Texas joining the SEC is absolutely ludicrous.
TexasRebel
AG
That's not an Aggie.
sharpdressedman
It appears to be a done deal. **** it.
Colonel Nonreg
AG
dixichkn said:

Quote:

Quit thinking like a fan.

What exactly do you think this is? A business site?

You can't realistically expect anyone in here to be giddy with the fact that after you finally got rid of your wretched, cheating hoor of a wife and moved into the most elite of neighborhoods for a clean start...... the homeowners association brought the disgusting b**ch back to your house and forced you to live with her again
THIS is the absolute clearest take I have seen! Well said sir.
“Indecision is the cornerstone of defeat”
Colonel Nonreg
AG
Here's the email address to complain. Maybe 10K msgs stating "I can't believe you F'd us Sankey" will change things.

feedback@sec.org
“Indecision is the cornerstone of defeat”
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

Quit thinking like a fan. Start thinking business.

Some people remember being in business with them.
GigEmTx
Bill Superman said:

Screw that.

It's time we throw our weight around. We should threaten to leave the conference. We can go back to the big12 and actually make something of it. Invite UH and SMU back and maybe even invite Missouri, Arkansas and whoever the hell else would join and run the show.

We need to quit pretending like we can't do things on our own. Hell I'd even prefer to go independent like ND than put up with this garbage.
...and be back in football purgatory like we were in the Big 12? No thanks.
Bobaloo
Texas and OU need the SEC. The SEC does not need Texas and OU. I might be in the minority, but I effectively stopped watching Texas football in 2012. In the three plus decades prior to 2012, I watched A&M and Texas in that order. I could name the starting lineups for both teams and celebrated wildly when Texas got beat. Now? Football Saturday's are glorious in the SEC. Even bad matchups are good games. I will watch maybe 10 minutes of the Texas/OU game on Saturday morning (11:00 AM kickoffs are beyond stupid for that game). Texas and OU can't survive in the XII. I believe the will thrive in the SEC and their fans will be the biggest winners. The SEC is light years better.
OleHouAggie
Zero.zero change this is from a Longhorn especially a player.
Muy
AG
Why would OU be disgruntled? They win your conference every season and make the playoffs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.