Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

***** Official Early Signing Day Thread *****

40,613 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jsmc71
cheroczech
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You made a bunch of other great points.
Jbob04
AG
Sounds like jojo going to sign with Bama today. Waddle 2.0.
cheroczech
AG
Ugh.
vander54
S
Says who

Nevermind. Looks like it will be Bama. Hopefully that means we get Brian Thomas
World's worst proofreader
SEC Champs
AG
EKG1996 said:

JustisWalkert said:

Shirt color definition
Thanks

Never heard Blueshirts and Greenshirts before
This blueshirt stuff is weird. Is it's normally reserved for walk-ons?

I guess because Crownover was essentially family and all the COVID stuff going on, we didn't have to jump through all the normal recruiting hoops to land him. Nice that the kid was willing to help toward this year's class.
Jbob04
AG
vander54 said:

Says who

He has decided to announce today at 4. Billy said if he signs today, it will be with Bama. Also, a big thread on tigerdroppings about it. Bama will sign 4 stud WR once again.
DegenAg
AG
Jbob04 said:

vander54 said:

Says who

He has decided to announce today at 4. Billy said if he signs today, it will be with Bama. Also, a big thread on tigerdroppings about it. Bama will sign 4 stud WR once again.
he also now has CB projections going to Alabama on 24/7
Jbob04
AG
So if we strike out on Brian Thomas, are we not going to sign a WR this year.
vander54
S
Jbob04 said:

So if we strike out on Brian Thomas, are we not going to sign a WR this year.

We already have one in Banks and we would like to add one more. We have other options.
World's worst proofreader
EKG1996
AG
When is Thomas expected to commit/sign?
Jbob04
AG
EKG1996 said:

When is Thomas expected to commit/sign?

I think February.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I missed the portal talk earlier. We are not set up to be a transfer destination that could change in a few years.

Very few in the portal are both good enough to start for us and also immediately eligible. Those who are will expect to play.

Second, those good enough to promise playing time probably get offers from Bama and UGA. We lost out on Landon Dickerson to Bama in 2019.

Jimbo and transfer QBs do not mix. Jimbo likes his QB to redshirt for a year. His offense is not plug-n-play.

IF we keep this up, we could be the destination for transfers like Landon Dickerson. But even still, it would mean maybe one every 3-4 years. Other than that, we might find the occasional role-player willing to be a role player like Austin Wood.

Titan83
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

infinity ag said:

Jarrin' Jay said:

infinity ag said:

All these 3 stars people are well and good but to be elite, we need some 5 stars, mostly 4 stars and one/two 3 stars.

If you look at the rankings, this is where Alabama is. Saban doesn't take low ranked players unless he sees something in them.

So unless its a 4 or a 5 I am not too excited.

You are right. I guess we should not renew Ainias Smith's scholly..............

I am right.

Smith and JFF are outliers.

Why don't you try recruiting a team only for 3*s and see how far you get? Saban ain't dumb to get to where he is.
Stars can be very misleading. The reason Saban takes mostly 4 & 5 Stars, is because they don't have the roster spots to develop players long-term. They need to be ready.

I was 17 when I graduated HS and 6'2" and should have had another year in HS, based on birthdate. I was 6'4" after my 1st year of college. Thing was, had I "redshirted" in HS (7th grade), I would have been 18/6'4". I was offered to hold back in 7th grade.

Today, kids are getting redshirted in K. Go to PK5, instead of kindergarten... graduate HS at 19. Kids that graduate HS today are likely 2 years older than I was when I graduated.

Patterson at TCU has made a killing with kids like that. Their players stay longer... and that is how he competes against Tier1 schools. 4th and 5th year Srs.

Alabama loses players to the NFL after 3 years on campus. If a player stays a 4th year, it is because they project to be a Top 1st Rder if they stay.

IIRC, Flordia CB Kamar Wilconson was being touted as having graduated HS early and going to Florida as a freshman, rather than play his Sr year of HS. He is 18 and will turn 19 in the Spring. If he stayed in HS, he would have graduated at 19. I think he was a 4Star, but likely a 5Star had he played his Sr yr. If he had truly graduated early @17 (like I did) I highly doubt he is a 4Star.

Stars matter. But, so does age and DOB.

Malcolm Gladwell wrote about a similar phenomena in hockey. Direct correlation between DOB and odds of playing professional hockey. Would be interesting to know how it applies to football.
Spinnerag
AG
Not sure if I didn't post the first time I typed it up or it got deleted - I can't find my question. Hence, posting again,. If it disappears again, then I will blame it on the aliens.

Anyway, wasn't kaci seegar committed to us? Did he de-commit?
Ugly
AG
Spinnerag said:

Not sure if I didn't post the first time I typed it up or it got deleted - I can't find my question. Hence, posting again,. If it disappears again, then I will blame it on the aliens.

Anyway, wasn't kaci seegar committed to us? Did he de-commit?
Yeah, he decommited on Sunday
Thirsty Third
AG
Portal
Highway 6 runs both ways...
Thirsty Third
AG
My bad - not portal, decommit
Highway 6 runs both ways...
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

This blueshirt stuff is weird. Is it's normally reserved for walk-ons?

I guess because Crownover was essentially family and all the COVID stuff going on, we didn't have to jump through all the normal recruiting hoops to land him. Nice that the kid was willing to help toward this year's class.

Not reserved for walk-ons. Walk-ons come under different rules. When employed, coaches usually use this as a way of getting one of their lower rated "project" recruits in. IF he figures to redshirt anyways, not as big a deal if he misses summer workouts.

I can think of some reasons why a high 3* like Crownover would agree to it:

1. It was part of a package deal
2. He does not want/we lack space for him to early enroll (and take part in spring camp)
3. He is nursing an injury and not likely ready before fall camp

Figure he probably redshirts anyways. We have enough TEs.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Titan83 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

infinity ag said:

Jarrin' Jay said:

infinity ag said:

All these 3 stars people are well and good but to be elite, we need some 5 stars, mostly 4 stars and one/two 3 stars.

If you look at the rankings, this is where Alabama is. Saban doesn't take low ranked players unless he sees something in them.

I am right.

Smith and JFF are outliers.

Why don't you try recruiting a team only for 3*s and see how far you get? Saban ain't dumb to get to where he is.
Stars can be very misleading. The reason Saban takes mostly 4 & 5 Stars, is because they don't have the roster spots to develop players long-term. They need to be ready.

I was 17 when I graduated HS and 6'2" and should have had another year in HS, based on birthdate. I was 6'4" after my 1st year of college. Thing was, had I "redshirted" in HS (7th grade), I would have been 18/6'4". I was offered to hold back in 7th grade.

Today, kids are getting redshirted in K. Go to PK5, instead of kindergarten... graduate HS at 19. Kids that graduate HS today are likely 2 years older than I was when I graduated.

Patterson at TCU has made a killing with kids like that. Their players stay longer... and that is how he competes against Tier1 schools. 4th and 5th year Srs.

Alabama loses players to the NFL after 3 years on campus. If a player stays a 4th year, it is because they project to be a Top 1st Rder if they stay.

IIRC, Flordia CB Kamar Wilconson was being touted as having graduated HS early and going to Florida as a freshman, rather than play his Sr year of HS. He is 18 and will turn 19 in the Spring. If he stayed in HS, he would have graduated at 19. I think he was a 4Star, but likely a 5Star had he played his Sr yr. If he had truly graduated early @17 (like I did) I highly doubt he is a 4Star.

Stars matter. But, so does age and DOB.

Malcolm Gladwell wrote about a similar phenomena in hockey. Direct correlation between DOB and odds of playing professional hockey. Would be interesting to know how it applies to football.

It's typically when the cutoff age is for the sport. In football's case, I guess it would be your grade level?

You see it in baseball too. I think the month is August for that one. Basically, the people that are born before the end of august always play with the grade below what their grade level is. So while they may be in 9th grade, they are playing in a league with 8th graders. And because of this, they are usually the most developed, and they make the all star/post season teams more often, giving them more coaching and practice than the people who don't make it.
EKG1996
AG
Any news on Adeleye?
K2-HMFIC
Jarrin' Jay said:

infinity ag said:

The exception does not make the rule.
mcag83
AG
EKG1996 said:

Any news on Adeleye?

He brushed his teeth with Crest this morning......
Like anyone can even know that.
Just Tired
Titan83 said:

as I recall, there was a much higher probability for kids born in 1Q of any given year. They rode that initial physical advantage in the 6-and-under league to years more development opportunity.
Traveler
AG
Bill Superman said:

Jimbo knows how to evaluate better than any of the pundits that you base your opinions on.

I'll take a class full of 3*'s if that's what Jimbo prefers. Star ratings mean next to nothing.

NO! GOD! NO!

This is kind of crap TexAgs trotted out all through the declining RC years, and Fran/Sherman years, when Mack Brown and Stoops were absolutely kicking the **** out of us in recruiting.

Both JJ and Infinity are correct. Jimbo knows what he's doing, so targeting a few 3* guys is not the end of the world (Remington Strickland seems to be the poster child for that in this class).

But *'s, average *'s, the % of 3*'s, absolutely, 100% matter when it comes to winning MNC's. Almost NO-ONE has won an MNC without ELITE recruiting (AS DETERMINED BY THE "JOCK SNIFFERS")

2020 years through 2016:

-11 of the 14 national champions averaged a top 10 recruiting class in the four years leading up to them winning the crown.
-Nearly half (six of 14) averaged a top five class.
-Five of the last six have averaged a top six class or better.

And the biggest outliers? (ie didn't AVERAGE top 10 class 4 years prior)
Auburn (2010) with Cam ****ing Newton, and
Clemson (2016) with Deshaun ****ing Waston

So, unless you think we have a Cam or Deshaun on our team, we need to be getting 4 and 5* guys.
cheroczech
AG
Bringin' the heat
themissinglink
AG
You need 4 and 5 star talent, but the rankings aren't always accurate. Some coaches are better talent evaluators than the recruiting services.

Mike Sherman left Sumlin a team filed with a bunch of 3-4 star guys. The starting line-up for Sumlin's 1st year contained 4 future 1st round OL picks, JFF, Mike Evans, Ryan Swope, and many other really good offensive players.

Our current OL consists of four low to mid 3 star guys and a 5 star guy. It is at worst the 2nd best OL in the SEC.

We had lots of 4 star talent in the Sumlin era flame out. Shortly into the Jimbo fisher Era, we've had seen low 4 star and 3 stars guys have success like Smith, L Robinson, and Wydenmeyer.

I'm not saying I wouldn't trade recruiting classes with OSU or Bama, but I suspect several lower rated guys in this class outperform their recruiting rankings.
Grateful_Aggie
This star talk is absurd. Give me a class of all 4s & 5s.
Bill Superman
AG
Get a grip, Jimbo knows what he's doing and has no comparison to Sumlin or Fran. I'm on board with any 3* that Jimbo brings in. And I stand by my statement even though you excluded the next sentence for clarification.

You just keep getting your recruiting info from your omniscient pundits and thinking that sip is pulling in top classes every year. The rest of us have realized Jimbo knows better than your biased armchair pundit.
K2-HMFIC
He's right.

You recruit in the Top 10 and your competitive for the MNC.

You don't recruit in the Top 10 and your not competitive for the MNC.

It's that simple.
Sixdrakes
AG
EKG1996 said:

Any news on Adeleye?
He is one of my neighbors and I can report that every light in his house is turned off right now.
AvidAggie
AG
K2-HMFIC said:

He's right.

It's that simple.

Yup. Really not that hard to understand. Especially in the SEC
Traveler
AG
Bill Superman said:

Get a grip, Jimbo knows what he's doing and has no comparison to Sumlin or Fran. I'm on board with any 3* that Jimbo brings in. And I stand by my statement even though you excluded the next sentence for clarification.

You just keep getting your recruiting info from your omniscient pundits and thinking that sip is pulling in top classes every year. The rest of us have realized Jimbo knows better than your biased armchair pundit.
?? I get my recruiting info free from TexAgs, and that's about it. Judging from your posts, you are way, way more into recruiting than I am.

But I'm smart enough to know that recruiting rankings matter. Not sure why you continue to ignore the mountain of evidence that it does, but math can be hard for some people.

I just know that we ever start routinely hearing the following on NSD's going forward ...
"I'll take a bunch of 3* that Coach wants and that WANT to be here over a bunch of 4* and 5* any day!"

It's time to start looking for a new coach.
Jseiter93
AG
Who was it that said they were announcing at 730pm today
Aston04
AG
Adeleye
TxAg76
AG
K2-HMFIC said:

He's right.

It's that simple.

Being that we're in the CFP era, why do people still use the term MNC in lieu of just NC?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.