Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

***** Official Early Signing Day Thread *****

40,622 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jsmc71
vander54
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Dumb_Loggy said:

hunter2012 said:

14/18 have signed. Waiting for Banks, Wykoff, Crownover, and Garza.

Being a 3 star, you'd think Garza would sign as quickly as possible.

Considering he's our only real TE target i don't think his position is at risk. Plus stars don't matter at the end of the day. All that matters is what Jimbo wants.
World's worst proofreader
GarryowenAg
AG
AvidAggie said:

Kind of off topic, but what are y'all's thoughts on how the transfer portal will impact recruiting in the future?

In other words it's not "as critical" to sign a top end class cause you can get guys in the transfer portal unlike 10 years ago. Or coaches won't recruit a position as much cause they can get a guy in "free agency". Just a thought.

Yeah, but they'll still need to sit out a year unless their waiver is approved. It could be 2+ years before the kid sees playing time.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
This class is a total and complete failure without a FULLBACK! Not a big RB, not an H-Back or a converted TE, but a true old school fullback!

hunter2012
AG
AvidAggie said:

Kind of off topic, but what are y'all's thoughts on how the transfer portal will impact recruiting in the future?

In other words it's not "as critical" to sign a top end class cause you can get guys in the transfer portal unlike 10 years ago. Or coaches won't recruit a position as much cause they can get a guy in "free agency". Just a thought.

The preference is still for a player to be on campus for 5 years, if only so that they can fit the program's long term plans. Also given that there are fewer transfers versus incoming freshman the portal game is still a crapshoot. Most classes stay relatively intact through all 4 years(unlike our 2013 class).
Jarrin' Jay
AG
AvidAggie said:

You aren't going to build the type of team we want with transfer portal scraps from guys that couldn't win jobs/positions on other teams. There will be rare exceptions, but not many.
Azariah
AG
Is there a place where I can reference who our commits are versus who has signed?
Ewok It Out08
Ewok It Out08
AG
https://texags.com/football-recruiting/commits
BBRex
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

This class is a total and complete failure without a FULLBACK! Not a big RB, not an H-Back or a converted TE, but a true old school fullback!

Username checks out.
scrimp
AG
I don't think A&M should/would be using the transfer portal to pick up "free agents" too often. Maybe you'd use the portal to get a grad transfer QB if you have a need due to injury/declaring early/whatever, but hopefully Jimbo has a decent depth chart and plans for those kind of situations. I can't think of a non-qb that went to a P5 from a non-juco that made a significant impact. I'm sure there are some, but that seems to be the exception....

Also, from my limited observations, it seems like most of the players going in to the transfer portal are doing so to get more playing time, and are likely going from a P5 school to a G5 school, or G5 to FCS, etc. Sure, occasionally there will be a late bloomer at a small school that is looking to up his competition level, but that is pretty rare.

The transfer portal hasn't really changed much--it has just made it more obvious and transparent when a player is looking to transfer.
Reno Hightower
Jarrin' Jay said:

Preferred walk-on.

Reno Hightower
scrimp said:

I don't think A&M should/would be using the transfer portal to pick up "free agents" too often. Maybe you'd use the portal to get a grad transfer QB if you have a need due to injury/declaring early/whatever, but hopefully Jimbo has a decent depth chart and plans for those kind of situations. I can't think of a non-qb that went to a P5 from a non-juco that made a significant impact. I'm sure there are some, but that seems to be the exception....

Also, from my limited observations, it seems like most of the players going in to the transfer portal are doing so to get more playing time, and are likely going from a P5 school to a G5 school, or G5 to FCS, etc. Sure, occasionally there will be a late bloomer at a small school that is looking to up his competition level, but that is pretty rare.

The transfer portal hasn't really changed much--it has just made it more obvious and transparent when a player is looking to transfer.

It sure wouldn't be to nab receivers. Jimbos offense is like advanced calculus for wideouts.
Azariah
AG
Ewok It Out08 said:

https://texags.com/football-recruiting/commits
Thank you. So far I'm not seeing anyone on that list who committed on 12/16/20. I guess that means no surprises so far?
Not_Sure
AG
Dumb_Loggy said:

hunter2012 said:

14/18 have signed. Waiting for Banks, Wykoff, Crownover, and Garza.

Being a 3 star, you'd think Garza would sign as quickly as possible.

I've seen rumors of a gray shirt or blue shirt, so it's possible he doesn't officially sign today.
Ewok It Out08
AG
So far, it appears everything is playing out as expected. My understanding is that there are a small number of guys A&M is pushing for but these guys will not commit until later in the day.
cavscout96
AG
rgag12 said:

Macarthur said:

Seems to be some smoke around Jojo Earle. Anyone have any scoop?

Appears to be smoke from his blunt. Would be very surprised if it's anything other than a pre-Madonna teenager trying to create drama for his recruiting
wow.....
Bunk Moreland
There will be a smaller group of programs who develop their rosters through recruiting well and winning games on the field. Those teams will take grad transfers/portal guys when it's a perfect fit for a missing piece here or there.

There will be a larger group of programs that take on transfers a lot more. It will lead to some flash in the pan years but otherwise continue to be somewhat inconsistent.

Hoping Jimbo keeps enough momentum with this program going so A&M stays in group 1 and doesn't fall to group 2.
Punked Shank
AG
cavscout96 said:

rgag12 said:

Macarthur said:

Seems to be some smoke around Jojo Earle. Anyone have any scoop?

Appears to be smoke from his blunt. Would be very surprised if it's anything other than a pre-Madonna teenager trying to create drama for his recruiting
wow.....

Yeah that guy is a stocker for sure. Kinda creepy
Haricougar
AG
Any news about Tunmise? Is he signing today?
EKG1996
AG
Banks is in. I think this guy sees the field early and often.
Macarthur
Haricougar said:

yes. 7:30p
Macarthur
EKG1996 said:

Banks is in. I think this guy sees the field early and often.

Agree. He's not built like a normal WR. He could be really effective with those WR screens because his after the catch is strong.
buppy
Should be a top ten class when it's all said and done. Good bull
cavscout96
AG
Haricougar said:

tonight at 7:30
beerad12man
AG
Adeleye and Foster are likely to sign with us this week publicly. Probably nothing else official, although Jeudy likely signed with us today, and maybe Jardin Gilbert too.
vander54
S
beerad12man said:

Adeleye and Foster are likely to sign with us this week publicly. Probably nothing else official, although Jeudy likely signed with us today, and maybe Jardin Gilbert too.

Those 4 would give us an amazing class and we still have room for a couple more.
World's worst proofreader
beerad12man
AG
With those 4, we'd have 3 spots left for Jojo Earle, Brian Thomas, LJ Johnson, the new offer Tavarish Dawson, and/or a late juco/transfer addition.
TMartin
I've seen Banks play live 4 times and he always seems to come down with the ball in a crowd. YAK is strong as others have mentioned.
infinity ag
We are at No 14 now.
JustisWalkert
AG
Two of the three commits that haven't signed yet are three stars. Is this coincidence or is there a reason?
amercer
AG
infinity ag said:

We are at No 14 now.

That's not going to cut it, but there is a ways to go with this class.
Gyles Marrett
TMartin said:

I've seen Banks play live 4 times and he always seems to come down with the ball in a crowd. YAK is strong as others have mentioned.
Yards after Kraken?
Ugly
AG
infinity ag said:

We are at No 14 just for now.
FIFY
Punked Shank
AG
TE Fernandez not signing yet a sign we moved to a bigger target / transfer?!

Loooking LSU people
beerad12man
AG
Garza is greyshirting. Bad injury. Gives him more time so he doesn't start his eligibility injured.

Crownover is blueshirting.

Both count to 2022. We have 7 more spots. Adeleye, Jeudy, Foster, and hopefully Gilbert this week. Though Gilbert and Jeudy won't announce it until January 2nd.

Then 3 spots for February signing day between Jojo Earle, Brian Thomas, LJ Johnson, Tavarish Dawson, or any other guy who emerges late. A Juco or transfer might also take one of the last spots.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.