Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Which player was the most fun to watch when you were a student?

14,086 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Alpha Texan
aggiejim70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Edd Hargett, Bob Long, and the late Rev. Billy Hobbs
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
92-95 so some phenomenal teams.

My first time covering a game for the Batt was the '93 t.u. game (18-9 us) and near the end of the game I got to go on the sideline just as Shea Morenz was running for his life, and he ducked out of bounds but not quite fast enough to avoid Sam Adams blasting him - I couldn't have been more than 10 feet away and I can remember the sound it made 27 years later.

I was a huge fan of Antonio Shorter/Armstrong and of Ray Mickens. Brandon MItchell was not the smartest guy in the world, but he was amazing to watch.

However, the spring after McElroy's breakout '93 season, I was full-time Batt sportswriter and got to do a feature on what he was doing in the off-season to get prepared to be a bigger contributor the next fall. I got to sit and talk to him for about an hour at Kyle Field , and the Batt design team did a big cool splashy layout.

The next day I was walking out of Spanish class in the Academic Building and he was coming the way and gave the essential handshake/hug combo and said how much he liked the article.

The super hot blonde in my Spanish class who I would never have even tried to look at straight in the face for the fear of Jesus striking me dead for trying to envision I could aim so highly in the world of women saw it happen walked up and said in disbelief, "You KNOW LEELAND MCELROY?"

I responded with a sound that was an approximation of the word "yes" and 2 days later had scored the invite to come over to her place and "study" for the midterm. Thank you Lectric Leeland!

Still from the '93 game on YouTube - Red arrow is me, all of 19 years old on a dark and stormy night at Kyle Field.

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Dat Attack.

Maybe Dante Hall.
DallasTeleAg
I was a student for the Von Miller days. So great to watch!

Cyrus Gray was also great to watch and was a really nice guy. Had a class with him, though never really spoke to him, and he made a point to come over and say 'hey' to me when I was waiting on food at one of the restaurants.
Alpha Texan
AG
LongLurking Ag said:

I could add many more and especially when Jackie was coaching.

Not when I was a student, but I have never seen anyone as exciting as Johnny Football. (How I wish he had kept his head on straight going to the pros.) He was such a pleasure to watch.

Also, it is a pleasure to talk football instead of Covid or riots.

I MISS SPORTS. It is my escape from reality.

This is one of my favorite answers. My dad has told me that Jackie's strategy was to just recruit the most athletic guys he could find so that makes a lot of sense that there were a lot of those electric players then. I guess recruiting the best athletes even if they didn't have the best skills was not normal at the time, but athleticism is a key attribute for skill players now.

I was in 8th grade for Johnny's heisman season and that was the year I developed the patience to sit down, watch a football game for the whole time, and actually pay attention. I got to go to the Florida game so watching us open up the SEC with college gameday and a ridiculous quarterback sparked my interest for the rest of the year, and probably life. What a shame with Sumlin and Kingsbury not knowing how to coach that offense until we got a few games in. There are a lot of bad habits you can pick up from looking up to Johnny, but his toughness, refusal to quit, and his leadership to not let his teammates give up always stood out to me. He really believed he could do anything and will his team to anything.

And yeah, I'm sick of the covid and politics, and I love to hear stories about A&M so this thread has not disappointed. I can't wait for sports to get back. I have even found myself watching Korean baseball. I even watched like almost all of the NFL draft. I'm really hoping we get a football season, I know a lot of people around here couldn't care less if we do due to politics, but I like to think that I can completely disagree with another American politically, and lay aside my differences to support them outside of politics, even if they don't feel the same way. Thanks for sharing.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
For me, Class of '89, I'll say Kevin Murray, Bucky Richardson, John Roper, Aaron Wallace, and Johnny Holland. I am getting a little older so I'm sure I'm leaving off some that I really enjoyed watching in those years.
West Point Aggie
AG
Leland McElroy was fun to watch!
jnocar
Mr Crow !

Toughest, but also th nicest person you could known.
JJxvi
AG
Class of '03....uh...Shane Lechler?
Alpha Texan
AG
How did the heisman stuff work at that point? Pretty much all my life, any legitimate candidate is on a legitimate team so everyone can watch every big game and every big player on TV. Back then, was voting based pretty much solely on stats or what? Now we see all the huge highlights for everyone on sportscenter and social media and stuff so was Crow just a statistical juggernaut or a big play guy or what?
SA-AG72
AG
Football was not fun to watch when I was a student.
30wedge
dhyde79 said:

Curtis Dickey and George Woodard. Curtis for his nobody-can-run-that-fast speed. George for his bulldozing runs followed by the inevitable "Woo! Woo! Woo!" chants.
Was about to say the same two. Dickey was the NCAA indoor 60 champion three times, tying Charlie Jefferson of Nebraska, and had like the 6th or 7th fastest 100 in the world one year. Guy could fly. Had two classes with Curtis. Very powerful looking guy to be so damn fast.

On defense, my favorite was Robert Lee "Stonewall" Jackson.
Gomer95
AG
Bucky Richardson, Quentin Coryatt and Kevin Smith my Freshman year. Leeland McElroy my Senior year.
Deke
AG
Dude McLean
cheeky
AG
Now that I have a few decades of real world experience and greater perspective, I'd have to say that it's a tie between everyone who didn't protest.
spherical
AG
Alpha Texan said:

spherical said:

Reggie's breakaway against K-State was also a thingn of beauty. But I remember that sinking feeling that with our D, we needed to run it out instead... Which was absurd since it put us up two scores with 40 some seconds... but those were the Fran years...
what's the story with this game?

Nothing too specific - but that year with our defense we were always either in a shoot out or getting blown out. And we tended to find ways to blow the shootouts.

MMantle
AG
Billy Hobbs

Hard-hitting linebacker with sprinter speed and a bad attitude

RIP Billy, fond memories

RR
JPK89
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

For me, Class of '89, I'll say Kevin Murray, Bucky Richardson, John Roper, Aaron Wallace, and Johnny Holland. I am getting a little older so I'm sure I'm leaving off some that I really enjoyed watching in those years.

89 here too. Only omission off the top of my head is Darren Lewis.
JPK89
AG
And props to OP for starting non protest thread.
Krautag81
Kubiak
takingbacktexags
my man.
SanAntonio
AG
Better question, you know who was the most exciting of all these players ? Johnny
Ian Neff
AG
Leeland.
The Grinder (99)
AG
Class of '99

I'd have to say Dat. Most of my time there offense was ineffective (eventually leading to the end of the RC era) . There for a while many honestly thought we had a better chance of scoring when on defense. Dat was awesome.

My freshman year was lecturing Leeland's last year though. He was probably the best offensive player when I was there.

We had memorable games though. Last conference championship was 98 with the memorable Stewart to sirr Parker and "he gotta touchdown! He gotta touchdown! He gotta touchdown! He gotta touchdooooowwwn!!!!"

But for me, the best ATM football moment was the brian gamble fumble recovery to seal the deal at the Bonfire game. Many may disagree that wa ms our best game, but as a student on campus during that time, nothing will beat that. Not the heisman, and not a natl championship. That is my favorite sports moment.
turnag4
AG
Good group. I'd also add Jacob Green and Robert Jackson. (I'm class of '79. Moore Hall Trucker. )
turnag4
AG
I was a sixth grader when I went to my very first Aggie game at Kyle. Edd Hargett was qb. Just a few years ago I had the pleasure of meeting him at a tailgate. Nice man.
jja79
AG
I ran into Jacob Green last week. He looks like he could still play.
Gunny456
AG
I was going to name those exact same names. Vintage years.....truly vintage years. I would add Richard Osborne and Bubba Bean to that list as well as Carl Roaches.
Red Leader
Javorskie Lane was the man in goal line situations
Saint Pablo
Christin Kirk or Myles!
nonameag99
Dat Nguyen

Sirr Parker

The Human Joystick
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
turnag4 said:

Good group. I'd also add Jacob Green and Robert Jackson. (I'm class of '79. Moore Hall Trucker. )
When I was a prep sportswriter, his 2 daughters were beasts in soccer. Although the football coach at their HS used to lament why oh why could he not have had a son.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
JPK89 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

89 here too. Only omission off the top of my head is Darren Lewis.
Yeah, I thought of Lewis along with Robert Wilson after I made my post.
bdp514am
Curtis Dickey
Spyderman
AG
Curtis Dickey
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.