Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Which player was the most fun to watch when you were a student?

14,066 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Alpha Texan
oldfart79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
woodard and dickey
oldfart79
mikey59
AG
Jack Pardee and John David Crow!
I really enjoyed Jack's long run from our 2 through the teasip line at Austin in 1957.
GigEm
aggiejim70
AG
Trouble is Pardee wasn't on the team and we didn't play football in Austin in '57.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
AggiepapaBill
Hargett, Hobbs, Long, O'Neal, Housley, & Buckman
aggiejim70
AG
AggiepapaBill said:

Hargett, Hobbs, Long, O'Neal, Housley, & Buckman
Listen to this learned man, he knows of what he speaks.

JEW III '70
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
rootube
AG
Not during my days as a student but I always thought Warrick Holdman was criminally underrated and a fun to watch. Also, where are the young people with Mike Evans and Christian Kirk?
MMantle
AG
Buster Adami, Rolf Krueger, Harvey Aschenbeck, Curley Hallman, Ivan Jones, Tommy Maxwell, Charlie Riggs, Barney Harris

RR
spherical
AG
Jaxon Appel, if only because the poor guy was forced to be the teams leading tackler... from safety
TexAgs1998
AG
Leeland and Dat
BCEDAg
AG
Forgot Mike Deniro
AgBQ-00
AG
Dat or Dante Hall
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
MMantle
AG
I also didn't mention Larry Stegent or Grady Allen, my intent was to only include Class of '69 classmates.

RR

HumpitPuryear
AG
'88 checking in. Really never liked the guy even as a student but Kevin Murray was electric on the field. Jimmy Teal was a favorite my Freshman year. Rod Berstine, Tony Toney, Roger Vick, Keith Woodside, Johnny Holland, Domingo Bryant, Jeff Nelson, John Roper, Shea Walker, and of course Bucky!

Ags never lost a game to the sips while I was a student and I got to witness underdog wins in the Cotton Bowl vs Auburn and ND. All CBS could talk about leading up to both games were the Heisman winners, Bo Jackson and Tim Brown. The Wrecking Crew was real.
Alpha Texan
AG
HumpitPuryear said:

'88 checking in. Really never liked the guy even as a student but Kevin Murray was electric on the field.
I know a handful of people who share this opinion. My neighbor says if he and his friends were playing basketball at the rec or wherever, if he showed up, they'd just leave because my neighbor's friends couldn't stand him. They were also student-athletes.
Bunkhouse96
AG
Larry Jackson played for the Broncos, Cardinals, and the Dolphins.
rsemingson
Ed Hargett, Larry Stegent, Steve O'neal, Curly Hallman. 1967 SWC champs and Cotton Bowl winners 20-16 against The Bear and Alabama.
cavscout96
AG
Rodney Thomas
zephyr88
AG
Bucky Richardson
Darren Lewis
John Roper
Sean Wilson
WillD
AG
Bucky Richardson.
Krazykat
AG
Bucky
Herknav
AG
//Played against Carl Roaches in hs. But Ed Hargett to Bob Long for the win against tu (67) was first Aggie encounter.//
monarch
S
JFF was the most exiting player in college football history, bar none.

Then again, I loved watching Larry Kelm and then Brian Gamble. Solid football players; no BS, just play. Johnny Holland in that group too.
Will Hunt
Jarrin' Jay said:

Robert Wilson, backfield mate to Darren Lewis, a good runner in his own right but an absolute beast as a FB. He had a decent NFL career.

The BYU Holiday Bowl was glorious overall, but Wilson in particular just destroyed the Cougar defense. As our D did to the Cougar offense..... and Ty Detmer's shoulders

Jimbo would go crazy with Wilson on the team, we would throw like 4 passes a game.

That Bowl Game trip was one of my absolute favorites. First time to San Diego, ended up buying a house there after the dot-com bust.

R.C. was ruthless in the game prep, game and especially the post game press conference. LaVell Edwards poked the bear by stating in the media that BYU deserved to play a more worthy opponent. Slocum never let up, pulling trick plays outta of the bag late in the game and running up the score. When asked in post game presser, he pulled out a note and read off BYU's game scores for that season, and basically said if anybody should have a problem with the score of the game, it shouldn't be BYU.

As far as a Player, Leeland McElroy keep me on the edge of my seat. Jason Atkinson for his lunch pail work ethic on the field. And Dat for always having his nose on the ball.
ontheway
AG
JDC
ontheway
jenks
AG
Bucky Richardson, Aaron Wallace, Quentin Coryatt, Rodney Thomas, Kevin Smith, Terry Venetoulias, Darren Lewis, Leeland McElroy, Chris Crooms, Marcus Buckley, William Thomas, Larry Jackson, Shane Garrett
JP_Losman
AG
Marquise Carpenter
tandy miller
AG
Chris Godwin was fun to watch
Alpha Texan
AG
ontheway said:

JDC
How exactly was the heisman decided back then, like what did the voters base their vote on? Was it pretty much purely stats based since the voters didn't get to watch everybody's highlights every week like we can now?

Now we pick the players with the best stats combined with the best highlights from a high-win team but before widespread television of games, especially now that we can watch really every game, was voting just based on stats from the newspaper?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.