Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Madubuike declares

10,275 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by twodognight
Slamn Sharpe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I see the Zoo idiots are out in full force

I'll check back in later
Aggie2
McDadeTXAggie said:

I'll check back in later
It will be the same.
vander54
S
Aggie2 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

I'll check back in later
It will be the same.

Unfortunately
wtr1975
AG
Declaring early is one thing, but stiffing the team and foregoing the bowl game is another.

The "me" generation strikes again. Who cares that the most critical matchup is Ok States rushing attack against our front 7 and that the team needs him for the game.
Txhuntr
AG
This all arose from the injuries to bosa and Jalen smith in their bowl game a few years ago. Bosa came out alright, but smith lost millions.

While I want the ags to win the bowl game, JM obviously isn't going to be on the team next year, and this recruiting class is about locked up. It will allow guys expected to replace him next year a chance to get more practice and game reps. I mean, we're predicting 10-2 next year, right? Might as well start preparing for it
PatAg
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

LOL players never used to skip bowl games until a few years ago and now everyone thinks it is such a good idea because he has a 0.01% chance of getting hurt. Guess he shouldn't swim in the ocean either this off season or he could get eaten by a shark.
I dont think thats a good estimation of his likelihood of getting hurt.
If NCAA wasnt big business, we wouldnt even be playing in a bowl game. Way too many teams do, they have no meaning anymore.
PooDoo
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

LOL players never used to skip bowl games until a few years ago and now everyone thinks it is such a good idea because he has a 0.01% chance of getting hurt. Guess he shouldn't swim in the ocean either this off season or he could get eaten by a shark.

That stat is bogus. And so is the example.
vander54
S
SoupNazi2001 said:

Chance of injury is way more than 0.01% I'm guessing you never played.
Romello
Declaring early is fine. Not playing in the bowl game is weak.
vander54
S
Romello said:

Declaring early is fine. Not playing in the bowl game is weak.

10 years ago I would agree but times have changed and the money has changed.
borski99
AG
Without him we don't get to 7 wins. I'm ok with this
technoviking
AG
Not that it applies to every player that skips a bowl... but this is a reminder of the potential ramifications of playing in the unpaid amateur postseason with a professional draft coming up:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/06/jaylon-smith-jake-butt-skipping-bowl-games-injuries-draft-mccaffrey-fournette

Quote:

One veteran scout said that he's evaluated many great linebackers over a 15-year career in scouting, and before Smith was injured, he ranked him in the top two or three of all them. Ezekiel Elliott, then Smith's Fiesta Bowl opponent and now Smith's Dallas teammate, was the fourth overall pick of the 2016 draft, a potential landing spot for Smith before the injury. Elliott's rookie contract is worth just under $25 million for four seasons (with a fifth-year option that would pay him just under $24.4 million). Smith's rookie deal will pay him a shade less than $6.5 million over four seasons.
Mr.Bond
AG
borski99 said:

Without him we don't get to 7 wins. I'm ok with this

Lol
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Agsuffering@bulaw
Locks to go in the first round 15-20 should skip bowls. Players with lingering injuries should skip bowls.

The odds of a serious, mess-with your draft stock injury is probably 1/50 for a LB or DL.

A great bowl can improve draft stock. Madabuike probably has a 2nd round grade, which would be 2-4 guaranteed. There is no guarantee that a 2nd round grade goes in the second round, but the odds are in favor.

This is not so clear.

jsc8116
AG
when these players declare/say they are skipping the bowl do they still practice with the team?
Scotty Appleton
vander54 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

The chance of injury that would seriously impact his career or even draft status is pretty damn low. Hell, guys blow out knees and return in 6 months these days.

I don't care one way or the other, but having your final game be a 50-7 pasting will probably be something he'll come to regret.
Bucketrunner
I would think he shouldn't be practicing with the team since he is no longer a part of it. Probably not using the school's equipment, right?
vander54
S
Scotty Appleton said:

vander54 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

The chance of injury that would seriously impact his career or even draft status is pretty damn low. Hell, guys blow out knees and return in 6 months these days.

I don't care one way or the other, but having your final game be a 50-7 pasting will probably be something he'll come to regret.

Think about this. Hypothetically he is a borderline 2nd round pick but needs a good combine to guarantee it. Let's also say he could fall to 4th round or later with a poor performance or injury. Also it won't take a significant injury to affect his combine performance. What would you do? This could cut his salary and signing bonus in half or worse.

What will a crappy bowl game do to change the 50-7. Nothing.
The Agly Duckling
HossAg said:

BrotherChad said:

A real teammate would've played for the team he's one now, not the one he wants to be on in the future.

Shut up Chad. There's millions of dollars on the line. He doesn't owe anyone anything, especially for a meaningless bowl game. I'm sure his teammates support his decision.
In my opinion and experiences, bowl games are not meaningless. However, other than that point, I totally support this post.
Mr.Bond
AG
Bowl games are far from meaningless. Got our RB, MLB and TE all to jump ship early with historic performances
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Post removed:
by user
vander54
S
SoupNazi2001 said:

PooDoo said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

That stat is bogus. And so is the example.

Think of how many bowl games are played every year and who has had injuries that dramatically changed their draft stock. The list is extremely low. Skipping bowl games just became a thing a couple years ago. No one did it before then and you almost no one had that kind of serious injury that changes their draft status.

Back it up with facts not opinions.
Threadbare
McDadeTXAggie said:

I'll check back in later
The smug condescension on this subject is rich.

People value what they value, and they don't owe you any explanation.

Does the kid owe anything to the fans? I guess not.

But, like it or not, every year my personal needle moves a little away from "fan" and a little closer to "consumer".

As a consumer, I start to care less. At the point where I don't care at all, I'll stop consuming.

I have to admit that I take a little satisfaction in seeing the professional leagues lose some support because of their excesses and sense of entitlement. I hope I don't get to the point where I feel the same about college ball...
Gunny456
AG
This just a passing thought. Those of us who believe that God has our life planned out and that we should put our trust in him in all that we do can ask the question that perhaps we are not always in control of our destiny. Kind of like saying when it is your time, its your time and it really does not matter how you go.....its just your day that your number is up.
Now the bible says to never tempt God...so you don't jump off a building to see if he will make you fly if it is not your day to die or stand in the middle of a freeway to see if you will get hit or not. Just, only for the sake of discussion, saying that if you believe .......he is staying out of the bowl so he won't get hurt, but if it is not in the cards for him to play...what if he is injured in a car wreck going home this week.......
Not trying to de-rail just asking others thoughts on this.
When I played high school football my dad used to tell me to not worry about getting hurt because he said if it was meant to be it could happen in the football game or something else entirely and that I could not spend my life trying to protect myself from "what ifs". He said that trust helped him get through his 4 years in combat in WWII. He quit worrying about getting injured or killed as he said it was not in his hands to decide his fate.....only God's. He was in Guam and New Guinea as a crew chief on B-25's and B-29's. He came home uninjured and well.
So asking to you fellas your thoughts on can you really protect yourself if your time is your time?
Carry on.
babyshark
vander54 said:

Houstonag said:

He should play. It is a matter of honor and personal commitment. Bring it on.

Youre right. He should play for our entertainment. Who cares if he suffers a career ending injury in a game that is largely for the fans.

That was sarcasm

By this logic he and everyone else should have hung it up after the Alabama game.
vander54
S
babyshark said:

vander54 said:

Houstonag said:

Youre right. He should play for our entertainment. Who cares if he suffers a career ending injury in a game that is largely for the fans.

That was sarcasm

By this logic he and everyone else should have hung it up after the Alabama game.

No
Whaler
AG
Threadbare said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

I'll check back in later
The smug condescension on this subject is rich.

People value what they value, and they don't owe you any explanation.

Does the kid owe anything to the fans? I guess not.

But, like it or not, every year my personal needle moves a little away from "fan" and a little closer to "consumer".

As a consumer, I start to care less. At the point where I don't care at all, I'll stop consuming.

I have to admit that I take a little satisfaction in seeing the professional leagues lose some support because of their excesses and sense of entitlement. I hope I don't get to the point where I feel the same about college ball...

I feel the same as Threadbare. I'm an old Ag, but I long for the days when players wanted to play for their team, their coaches, their school, and their fans. If the best players don't want to play in bowls, there shouldn't be this big, elaborate bowl system. Just let the 4 playoff teams finish the year, and everybody else stay home so they don't take a chance on getting hurt. Yes, I know it's all about the money, and what everybody thinks is best for them personally. I understand, but it still sucks.
halfastros81
AG
I think he made the best personal decision. He clearly has an NFL career in his
Future. Why take the risk of a career ending injury. If the Ags were
13-0 and playing for a NC then It's totally different imo.

I wish him a long and prosperous NFL career. He played his ass off at A & M

ghowe
AG
vander54 said:

babyshark said:

vander54 said:

Houstonag said:

That was sarcasm

No
At what point then is it acceptable to shut it down? The bowl game, the last regular season game.... Does winning a national championship get you paid more? Probably not marginally if you are a consensus top 5 or 10 pick... Why play that game?

Either they all matter or none of them matter.
Reno Hightower
Judging by the result of the LSU game it was probably best to hang'm up after the UGA game.
vander54
S
ghowe said:

vander54 said:

babyshark said:

vander54 said:

Houstonag said:

That was sarcasm

No
At what point then is it acceptable to shut it down? The bowl game, the last regular season game.... Does winning a national championship get you paid more? Probably not marginally if you are a consensus top 5 or 10 pick... Why play that game?

Either they all matter or none of them matter.

Bowl game. Before then and you lose access to state of the art training facility and coaches. After the last game you change focus to the combine and any injury can affect the results even if it is just nagging. The combine could make a huge difference on a guy like Madubuike.
S.A. Aggie
AG
I wish him the best but I think this is one decision he will regret. His absence in the big games doesn't bode well for an NFL player. With our schedule next year, one more year would have raised his stock considerably.
samhoustonag
Sure. Walk away from the school that enabled him to have the opportunity to go pro. To heck with those who supported him.

Sure he could get injured. But he could also get in a car wreck. Or trip on the rug and bust a knee. Is he going to stay in bed until drafted?

Lack of character.
carbon copy
Mr.Bond said:

Genuinely our season was completely over after Bama loss...... Why not just sit out the rest of the season at that point?

Yep, this "not playing in the bowl" mentality is going to creep into the regular season at some point. We're going to see players that are NFL bound shut it down in the future once they realize their team's season is effectively over.
northeastag
AG
Txhuntr said:

This all arose from the injuries to bosa and Jalen smith in their bowl game a few years ago. Bosa came out alright, but smith lost millions.

While I want the ags to win the bowl game, JM obviously isn't going to be on the team next year, and this recruiting class is about locked up. It will allow guys expected to replace him next year a chance to get more practice and game reps. I mean, we're predicting 10-2 next year, right? Might as well start preparing for it

Smartest post in the thread!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.