Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Madubuike declares

10,201 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by twodognight
MrAbyss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SoupNazi2001 said:

LOL players never used to skip bowl games until a few years ago and now everyone thinks it is such a good idea because he has a 0.01% chance of getting hurt. Guess he shouldn't swim in the ocean either this off season or he could get eaten by a shark.

Stats mean nothing for the individual. Either you do or do not get hurt
http://fav.me/d8rz3vv
CanyonAg77
AG
Good luck to him. Count me in the camp that would love to see him in the Bowl game and especially coming back next year.

But I will never condemn a kid for making a decision to protect his chance to achieve a multi-million dollar dream.

There isn't one in 10,000 of us who ever had to make a decision on whether to risk that much money on one decision.
ghowe
AG
vander54 said:

ghowe said:

vander54 said:

babyshark said:

vander54 said:

Houstonag said:

He should play. It is a matter of honor and personal commitment. Bring it on.

Youre right. He should play for our entertainment. Who cares if he suffers a career ending injury in a game that is largely for the fans.

That was sarcasm

By this logic he and everyone else should have hung it up after the Alabama game.

No
At what point then is it acceptable to shut it down? The bowl game, the last regular season game.... Does winning a national championship get you paid more? Probably not marginally if you are a consensus top 5 or 10 pick... Why play that game?

Either they all matter or none of them matter.

Bowl game. Before then and you lose access to state of the art training facility and coaches. After the last game you change focus to the combine and any injury can affect the results even if it is just nagging. The combine could make a huge difference on a guy like Madubuike.
Not long ago it would have been unconscionable for a player to skip the bowl game. Once a player has fully established himself as a top tier player seems to me if the bowl game has no value neither do the final few games, hell maybe more. He has already, by this time, taken full advantage of the facilities and coaching....
ctag76
AG
Have there been any Ags in the past who have declared, but not played in the bowl game?

I agree with those who say he is letting his teammates down.

I disagree with those who say "shut up" to anyone who disagrees with them.

Good luck to Justin, thanks for the memories, and Gig 'em!
"But there's a spirit can ne'er be told ... It's the spirit of Aggieland."
knoxtom
Logically it makes little sense for him to play.

I would put him around mid 2nd rounder. Last year that contract was around 5 mm with 2.7 in signing bonus. Madibuike is a hard worker, good player, and has little chance of dropping out for character issues so he most likely will play out that initial contract. He is the type of guy who you don't hear much about, but he grunts it out and sticks around in the NFL. A really solid rotation player.

I would even say, barring injury, there is a great chance he will also get a 2nd contract, which means 10mm+ in signing bonus and a much bigger salary. So Madibuike's NFL career will most likely produce 25mm (just guessing) in earnings. This is a very conservative number for someone who by all means, should have a decent NFL career.

Now let's assume he has a 1 in 500 chance of getting significantly injured in the Texas Bowl. That chance of injury times the cost of the injury (25 mm) gives his expected injury loss at $50000. Given that his team last year was 7-5 and went to a crappy bowl, and that his team the year before was 7-5 and went to a crappy bowl, why would he pay $50000 to repeat the exact same mediocre experience? Would you risk those expected career earnings for a repeat experience?

This doesn't even take into account risk aversion and the virtual guarantee he has to significantly improve his life, in exchange for a crappy bowl game.

Madibuike hasn't worked 20 years for the Texas Bowl, he has worked for the NFL. Don't blame the guy for making a smart financial decision while he is also protecting every single thing he has worked for.
annie88
AG
HossAg said:

Such a dumb way to look at it. The scholarships don't make him the player he is. The scholarships just let him go to the classes he's being forced to go to for free while he plays for the school without collecting a dime. Quit acting like these top tier players are being done a favor by being "given an education". They don't need it.
They'll need the education if they can't make it in the NFL or have a short career like JFF.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

honor and personal commitment

no such thing anymore
Ifishandlie
AG
Ask yourself this "what would you tell your son to do?"

Risk injury or sit out?

I think a lot of you are being selfish and want to win at all costs. If we can't win without him we don't deserve to win.

Until you've walked in his shoes, you don't really have the right to talk **** about his decision.

Mr.Bond
AG
I'd get an insurance policy and tell my son to honor his commitment to his teammates.

But that's just me
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ifishandlie
AG
Mr.Bond said:

I'd get an insurance policy and tell my son to honor his commitment to his teammates.

But that's just me

You need to read about tua. Those insurance policies don't work like everyone thinks. You don't get a $10m policy and get paid if you get hurt.

That's probably the problem. People don't know how things really work and just expect him to play.

HossAg
AG
That's their chance to take and their choice. That's like saying "well when he can't get a job in X field later on, he's gonna wish he had been a Y major". If he doesn't make it in the NFL, he doesn't make it. But forcing him to go to college and take classes while playing for free for people making a **** ton of money off him is ridiculous. Using "he's getting a free education" as an argument here just doesn't make sense.
samhoustonag
vander54 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

LOL players never used to skip bowl games until a few years ago and now everyone thinks it is such a good idea because he has a 0.01% chance of getting hurt. Guess he shouldn't swim in the ocean either this off season or he could get eaten by a shark.

Chance of injury is way more than 0.01% I'm guessing you never played.
Maybe you never compiled statistics.

Out of the thousands of football players who take the field every Saturday, how many experience serious injury?

Take the latter divide by the actual number of players who take the field. I doubt it will be a significant percentage.
samhoustonag
vander54 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

PooDoo said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

That stat is bogus. And so is the example.

Think of how many bowl games are played every year and who has had injuries that dramatically changed their draft stock. The list is extremely low. Skipping bowl games just became a thing a couple years ago. No one did it before then and you almost no one had that kind of serious injury that changes their draft status.

Back it up with facts not opinions.
Why don't you back up your opinion with facts and enlighten everyone?
annie88
AG
annie88
AG
HossAg said:

That's their chance to take and their choice. That's like saying "well when he can't get a job in X field later on, he's gonna wish he had been a Y major". If he doesn't make it in the NFL, he doesn't make it. But forcing him to go to college and take classes while playing for free for people making a **** ton of money off him is ridiculous. Using "he's getting a free education" as an argument here just doesn't make sense.

I don't agree with you in the slightest, but I don't have to. It's like you don't understand the concept of college football. I can only assume that you're on the younger side.

If this were the case then more would go out of high school but they don't do that much. Not every kid that plays college ball has his eye on the NFL, many Know they're never going to make it.

It's like 1% of college football players make it to the NFL.

This whole idea that they're playing for free it's just bull***** Argue all you want but I'm not gonna agree with you. Your opinion is very odd. But it's yours.
HossAg
AG
You're stuck in the mentality of "college sports are the only amateur football option before pros". I'm not arguing that they should go straight to the pros. I'm not even arguing that the college system should change at all. I'm just saying that, for many of these top tier players, they have no interest in school. It's simply the most obvious pathway to the pro level. If there was an amateur league with a large following that players could be drafted from where players got paid, then I'm sure these guys would rather go that route.

I love college football and I'm not advocating for any change to the system. I'm just simply stating that using a free education as a valid reason as to why they owe the team or the school or anyone involved with A&M a thing is ridiculous.

This bowl game means nothing, and he gave his all during the regular season. This is a great opportunity to allow him to prepare for the draft without risk if injury while getting some young guys some experience in a game with no significance as far as conference record or bowl placement. I really don't understand why people are upset about this.
Agsuffering@bulaw
This is about the regret factor. 99% chance Madabuike gets guaranteed money. 85% chance he is getting 7 figures guaranteed.

Im guessing the risk of serious injury is ~1/50 games for an otherwise healthy starter. I dont know how much impact a great bowl game would have on his draft stock. It could help. He is highly unlikely to do better than late first round. 3 techniques rarely go in the top 15.

It would be very hard to do anything that would risk me getting $2 million, even if there was a chance I could quadruple it.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/NCAA_Football_Injury_WEB.pdf
vander54
S
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

This is about the regret factor. 99% chance Madabuike gets guaranteed money. 85% chance he is getting 7 figures guaranteed.

Im guessing the risk of serious injury is ~1/50 games for an otherwise healthy starter. I dont know how much impact a great bowl game would have on his draft stock. It could help. He is highly unlikely to do better than late first round. 3 techniques rarely go in the top 15.

It would be very hard to do anything that would risk me getting $2 million, even if there was a chance I could quadruple it.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/NCAA_Football_Injury_WEB.pdf

How dare you bring facts.
DTLB
Didn't he have a knee injury coming out of high school he probably doesn't want to chance that again after 4 years of giving his all
twodognight
I would love to see him play the bowl game but both players and coaches make business decisions now. Except for a few players and Scott Frost a couple years ago. It is what it is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.