Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

For Aggies Coming To Clemson: A Guide To Clemson Weekend

30,220 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jroller
LoneStarAg10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks so much!

Scott_Rhymer said:

AGS10TAK said:

Thanks for the post!

My wife and I are staying in the Pendleton area. And food or activity recommendations around there or Anderson?

Thanks!
Pendleton is just a 5-10 minute ride into Clemson...so I would encourage you to eat in Clemson.

Smoking Pig is in Pendleton (no alcohol served inside).

If you are going to Anderson, the I-85 and Exit 19 (Pendleton Exit) ha a variety of places (Wild Wings, Hooters, etc.). Nothing "local" to speak of.

Again...my suggestion...you are coming to Clemson...and you are only 5-10 min from Clemson and the options to eat are much more varied and unique. So avoid Anderson...eat in Clemson.
bqce
AG
Thanks for the link! I bought a pass for 3A for just $145. I owe you ... something!
jonj101
We're flying into Charlotte Thursday morning. Based on current projections cutting it pretty close with Dorian at the moment.
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
jonj101 said:

We're flying into Charlotte Thursday morning. Based on current projections cutting it pretty close with Dorian at the moment.

Not really. You'll be fine.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/155815.shtml?#contents
jonj101
Mostly Sunny Disposition said:

jonj101 said:

Not really. You'll be fine.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/155815.shtml?#contents

Thanks for the links.

And username checks out.
Txmoe
AG
Clemson still has some $25 visitor parking available. This thread discussed it a few weeks ago. Link to parking included.

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3049151/replies/54693730
schwack schwack
AG
Cone of Uncertainty is a great band name.

This thread is refreshingly full of great info & very little snark. I hope all traveling have a safe & fun journey!
Scott_Rhymer
bqce said:

Thanks for the link! I bought a pass for 3A for just $145. I owe you ... something!
You are welcome! Get there early (they say the lots open at 8...but in reality they open at 6 AM. And there will be folks waiting in a line to get in!
Tamuco99
Scott, I have a buddy flying into ATL Saturday morning, and I'm getting concerned about the traffic. What would be your drop dead time for leaving Atlanta headingup I-85? Thanks!
Scott_Rhymer
Tamuco99 said:

Scott, I have a buddy flying into ATL Saturday morning, and I'm getting concerned about the traffic. What would be your drop dead time for leaving Atlanta headingup I-85? Thanks!
For 3:30 sell out games with lots of anticipation (which this game is)...here are my 45 years of experience going to games that serve as a rule of thumb.

Anytime arriving to parking spot by 11:30 (7 hours prior to KO) you will be fine.
Arriving from 11:30-12:30...expect some slowdowns but nothing major.
12:30-1:30 gets into danger zone of you missing tailgating...but no problem getting into game on time.
1:30-2:30....danger zone for missing kickoff and running down the hill pending how far your parking spot is from stadium.
2:30 onward....you will miss kickoff and running down the hill.

Not sure what time you are leaving ATL...but the good news is you will be coming into Clemson from the "lighter side" of traffic.

Download your WAZE app for your phone...it works great in SC. There are several routes for you to get off of I-85 BEFORE you get to Exit 19 (which is Highway 76 and the Clemson BLVD exit and will be a convergence of cars coming from Greenville....so avoid going that far up I-85).

Highway 59 in Fair Play (Exit 2), right past GA border is a good backroads cut through to Clemson.
Highway 24 in Townville (Exit 11) is also a good backroads cut through to Clemson.

Both of those routes you will see lots of farm land...but not many tail-lights

Scott_Rhymer
Another item I would add to my Fan Guide for Aggie fans would be the First Friday Parade. Because we played on a Thursday last week, the traditional First Friday Parade in Clemson will be this Friday. Here is a link to info on the parade as I did not mention it in my original blog.

https://calendar.clemson.edu/event/2019_first_friday_parade_and_pep_rally#.XW4uty5KjIU

And, again since this thread is now on 4 pages, here is the original link to my suggestions for this weekend.

https://tigerpregameshow.blogspot.com/2019/08/a-guide-to-clemson-weekend-for-texas.html

AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
Anyone have suggestions on breakfast/brunch Saturday? In Clemson or south of Clemson?

(I skimmed the entire thread - didn't see anything. If I missed it, apologies.)

10 or so of us getting together. Appreciate any advice.
Scott_Rhymer
AgFormerlyInIrving said:

Anyone have suggestions on breakfast/brunch Saturday? In Clemson or south of Clemson?

Sole on The Green has a great brunch. On Walker Golf Course on lake. Within walking distance of stadium.

https://www.clemson.edu/madren/sole.html

Scott_Rhymer
Saw a few replies in this thread and in others on this board about changing plans away from Charleston or the coast.

If you are having to move inland for Thursday and Friday and are staying weekend before going back to Texas, I would recommend the following towns (all no more than an hour or so from Clemson).

Greenville, SC
Asheville, NC
Highland, NC
Clayton, GA
Toccoa, GA

Weather in upstate of SC and all of the cities above is (as of Wednesday AM) sunny and no rain.

AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
Scott_Rhymer said:

AgFormerlyInIrving said:

Sole on The Green has a great brunch. On Walker Golf Course on lake. Within walking distance of stadium.

https://www.clemson.edu/madren/sole.html

Thanks Scott!
PippAg
AG
hey, scott, I'm finding conflicting answers to this: may I bring a sealed bottle of water (two?) into memorial stadium or not? thanks!
Scott_Rhymer
PippAg said:

hey, scott, I'm finding conflicting answers to this: may I bring a sealed bottle of water (two?) into memorial stadium or not? thanks

Yes. Most certainly.

If you have an unopened bottle of water (or 2) you can bring in. I do it Pregame and bring another one in when I come back after halftime.

Free water coolers inside station at first aide stations in each concourse as well and you can refill as many times as you like for no charge.

Not sure where you got conflicting info....but I can 100% verify you can do this. In fact, it is encouraged on hot days.
jsc8116
AG
Was just about to ask about water bottle as well, thanks. The official FAQ for the stadium states no outside food or drink so was wondering if that included sealed water. I think ay Kyle you can bring up to a gallon of water now.
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
Boot flask!
SBISA Victim
AG
Hey Scott, I'm not attending the game this weekend. I have to work but I should be off in time to see most of it. Anyway, I like Clemson. Clemson fans seem top notch. How much would you and other Clemson fans like to see a long series after this home and home wraps up like what we had with LSU until the mid 90s?
TexAg91
AG
Mostly Sunny Disposition said:

Boot flask!

Metal detectors, so be sure to bring the all plastic one.
jonj101
Because of this thread I'm adjusting my game day schedule to come by and see the broadcast.

I'm still going to catch the sites of the University early (tombstones, Scroll of Honor, Esso, etc.) but I'll stop by with my maroon-influenced prediction.
Scott_Rhymer
WarAGle said:

Hey Scott, I'm not attending the game this weekend. I have to work but I should be off in time to see most of it. Anyway, I like Clemson. Clemson fans seem top notch. How much would you and other Clemson fans like to see a long series after this home and home wraps up like what we had with LSU until the mid 90s?
The general consensus is we would love to keep this series going. The similarities in military and land grant histories of the two schools makes perfect sense.

Hate you can't make it to Clemson...but hopefully you will get another chance in the future.
Scott_Rhymer
jonj101 said:

Because of this thread I'm adjusting my game day schedule to come by and see the broadcast.

I'm still going to catch the sites of the University early (tombstones, Scroll of Honor, Esso, etc.) but I'll stop by with my maroon-influenced prediction.
Outstanding! We'll get you on the air! Just come up and introduce yourself at a commercial break.

Looks like your plan is a good one. Our location is a short walk from Esso...so you can hit everything you mentioned, swing by the show, and then hit Esso!
Txmoe
AG
Scott, appreciate all the great info you've provided. One last question, if you don't mind. We are staying in Anderson Saturday night. Where between Clemson and Anderson would be a good place to watch the LSU-tu game?
Scott_Rhymer
Txmoe said:

Scott, appreciate all the great info you've provided. One last question, if you don't mind. We are staying in Anderson Saturday night. Where between Clemson and Anderson would be a good place to watch the LSU-tu game?
You are welcome. Happy to help.

Not much in Anderson when looking for good sports bars/restaurants, unfortunately.

But, you do have some options.

If you want to be in downtown Anderson I would suggest J Peters (202 S Main St, Anderson, SC 29624)

If you don't mind a 4-5 mile ride into downtown Anderson, I would suggest the interchange of I-85 and Highway 76...which will be in between Clemson and Anderson. Multiple options..but best choices are:

Wild Wing Cafe (TV's are everywhere in there and you could have multiple game options)
119 Interstate Blvd, Anderson, SC 29621

Hooters
112 Interstate Blvd, Anderson, SC 29621
Scott_Rhymer
Good game day link with lots of info on gate entry process, traffic flows, etc.

https://clemsontigers.com/gamedayguide/
Txmoe
AG
Quote:

SPORTSMANSHIP

In advance of this Saturday's game, the university and athletic department reminds each of its more than 80,000+ fans expected in Memorial Stadium to represent the spirit of "Solid Orange," which means creating an environment that is spirited and fun, but also shows respect for the teams playing, the university and the traditions that make Clemson special. The community at Texas A&M showed tremendous hospitality during Clemson's visit there last season and we all want Aggie fans to feel the same way about Clemson after this weekend.

I can't imagine another top 5 program showing that much class. Well done!
aggie98infl
AG
Thanks for the all the info you have shared! I'm flying in from SWFL to Atlanta with my parents and nephew Friday night. We are staying in Braselton, GA. and are planning on driving in first thing Saturday morning. I'm trying to figure out our best options for parking and after the game.

I was looking at the Snow lot. It has a shuttle and looks like that might be the best option if we want to go ahead and head out of town right after the game. Or are we better off staying after? If so, is there a quieter place near the stadium that we could watch some games? I saw someone recommend Sole, and there is a parking lot near there, but it does look to be like a bit of a walk from the stadium. I don't want to have to be walking too far after the game since I know it will be a long day. My parents aren't super old and feeble or anything, but my dad is typically in bed by 8pm so I'm trying to avoid keeping him out too late.
Leander - Ag
AG
Driving in from Greenville in the morning.

Any recommendations on parking?
Txmoe
AG
Leander - Ag said:

Driving in from Greenville in the morning.

Any recommendations on parking?
Check my link a few posts above. Clemson was selling visitor parking for $25 in their commuter lot.
jroller
As a guy who writes a blog about SC BBQ, I would be hesitant to recommend BBQ to folks from Texas myself. That said, and for future reference, if you are looking for something in the Texas style, I would recommend Bobby's BBQ in Greenville. Looking for a place in the area with a great reputation, you could try Bucky's BBQ, The Smokin' Pig, or Henry's Smokehouse. If you're looking for more authentic SC BBQ, then you have to try either a vinegar-based BBQ or a mustard-based BBQ...and for those from SC, BBQ means pork, not beef. While you can find a variety of sauces at most of these places, for vinegar, I would recommend Circle M BBQ and for a mustard-based, you might try The Spotted Pig. Finally, for a place off the beaten path, consider Brasstown Creek Gathering Place, nestled in the mountains about 25 miles from Clemson.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.