Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

For Aggies Coming To Clemson: A Guide To Clemson Weekend

30,255 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jroller
MD20/20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
thanks
Beattie22
Looking for 2 tickets to the Clemson game
Leander - Ag
AG
Any rec's for Greenville restaurants?
fourth deck
AG
Leander - Ag said:

If you're referring to just the downtown area, Nantucket is on the higher end but have always enjoyed a meal there. Husk (of Charleston) has a location in Greenville, and Hall's Chophouse always gets good reviews. Not a restaurant but the last time we went to downtown we tried Pour Taproom which lets you pour your own beer and wine; it was a neat idea.

Don't expect to be blown away by any of the barbecue. You might hear Smoke on the Water recommended, it is not worth it, just bland really. The only barbecue that stands out is the original Bacon Bros restaurant (not in downtown), but I saw they have a location in Sugar Land now.
Scott_Rhymer
mike073 said:

Scott - I have two of those $2 bills you guys left scattered all around here last year. I will return them at the game.
That is a great Clemson tradition that leaves its mark for sure. When we were in San Francisco for the National Championship, it really turned heads ha ha. Local news out there could not believe college football fans were so "into it"
Ags83
AG
Greenville restaurants: Just visited this summer, ate at the Trappe Door. It's Belgian restaurant with a great beer list. If the Tupelo Honey is the same as Knoxville, that would be a good choice also.
William Larue Weller
AG
If looking for tickets on gameday, where is the best place to find scalpers?

Also, your blog is really helpful, thank you.
fourth deck
AG
Ags83 said:

Greenville restaurants: Just visited this summer, ate at the Trappe Door. It's Belgian restaurant with a great beer list. If the Tupelo Honey is the same as Knoxville, that would be a good choice also.
Have enjoyed the Trappe Door as well, they just don't seem to put a lot of mussels in an order. I believe the Tupelo Honey is one and the same.

One dish I've really enjoyed here that I never had growing up in Texas is shrimp and grits. Other than that, people in the upstate really love their biscuits. I've heard good things about Biscuit Head (kinda near downtown).

For those of you not staying in downtown Greenville but wanting to visit, downtown has a lot of public parking garages. Main St. parking is free but hard to come by on weekends. The parking garage underneath the Embassy Suites on River St. is easy to access and you can walk straight out onto the Swamp Rabbit Trail along the Reedy River and easily stroll to the best parts of downtown.
Scott_Rhymer
Schall 02 said:

Any recs for a Clemson-area fishing guide ?
I'm not a big fisherman...so would hesitate to recommend.

I would contact Clemson Marina and ask for a list. You can also rent boats there if you wanted to go out on your own.

150 Clemson Marina Dr
Seneca, SC 29678
864-653-6767
Scott_Rhymer
fourth deck said:

Ags83 said:

Have enjoyed the Trappe Door as well, they just don't seem to put a lot of mussels in an order. I believe the Tupelo Honey is one and the same.

One dish I've really enjoyed here that I never had growing up in Texas is shrimp and grits. Other than that, people in the upstate really love their biscuits. I've heard good things about Biscuit Head (kinda near downtown).

For those of you not staying in downtown Greenville but wanting to visit, downtown has a lot of public parking garages. Main St. parking is free but hard to come by on weekends. The parking garage underneath the Embassy Suites on River St. is easy to access and you can walk straight out onto the Swamp Rabbit Trail along the Reedy River and easily stroll to the best parts of downtown.
If staying in Greenville....Trappe Door is simply awesome. Tupolo Honey is good old fashion southern food....but the food/drink and setting of Trappe Door is my pick. Downtown Greenville is full of great restaurants.
Scott_Rhymer
Trump 2020 said:

If looking for tickets on gameday, where is the best place to find scalpers?

Also, your blog is really helpful, thank you.
My advice...don't count on the scalpers.

1st....they are rare in Clemson. You won't see many around. Not sure why...but I almost never see them.

Tigernet has a ticket purchase platform...you may want to check that out. Stub Hub, etc. is also an obvious option.

But, my advice...DO NOT come into town looking to buy off of scalpers.
oldag941
AG
Looking for advice on getting to and from Clemson on gameday from Greenville. 3 couples and we have a rental vehicle. Should we take it and try to park near campus? Or should we rent a shuttle / short bus? Some other method? Is traffic between the two crazy on game day?
Scott_Rhymer
oldag941 said:

Looking for advice on getting to and from Clemson on gameday from Greenville. 3 couples and we have a rental vehicle. Should we take it and try to park near campus? Or should we rent a shuttle / short bus? Some other method? Is traffic between the two crazy on game day?
Greenville on a non-game day is about 45 minute ride. General rule of thumb on drive time on game day. It's all about when you leave.

Up to 6 hours prior to kickoff (45 minute...normal drive time)
6 hours to 5 hours prior to kickoff (1:15 drive time)
5 hours to 4 hours prior to kickoff (1:45 drive time)
4 hours to 2 hours prior to kickoff (2 to 2:30 drive time...you may miss kickoff)
2 hours to 1 hours prior to kickoff (2+ hour drive time and you will most certainly miss kickoff).

IF you can find a reasonable shuttle...not a bad option.

But, if you don't mind walking a bit...you could park in public game day parking. But public parking is a bit of walk to stadium.

You can buy parking passes via Tigernet and/or Stub Hub, etc. from Clemson season ticket holders in reserved lots and/or spots. Season ticket holders often sell their parking passes (each game comes in individual placard).

Whether you shuttle or drive rental...my biggest advice is to leave around 8:30 or 9:00 at latest from Greenville. Enjoy the day in Clemson....not in traffic trying to get to Clemson.
jamyx
Great Info. Thanks!
LukeDuke
AG
Thanks Scott -

What's your take on the touchback call last year?

This year do you think SEC officials will gift us a turnover on the goal line at a critical juncture in the game?

In any event the hospitality is appreciated.
grego
AG
Not the place Luke.
grego
AG
Scott - thanks for all the info.

Do you have a recommendation for a place to watch games after our game? Esso have big screens in that outdoor area?
Scott_Rhymer
grego said:

Scott - thanks for all the info.

Do you have a recommendation for a place to watch games after our game? Esso have big screens in that outdoor area?
Esso or TigerTown Tavern....but both will be packed.

If you want to get out of the stadium area, Mellow Mushroom about 1 mile from stadium is a great place. More space, it will be somewhat less crowded, and way more TV's to see multiple games.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Leander - Ag said:

I was in Greenville in 2015. We ate at a BBQ shack called Henry's Smokehouse on 29. Really good pulled pork sandwich (coming from a brisket guy).
PippAg
AG
Beattie22 said:

me too!
jonj101
PippAg said:

Beattie22 said:

me too!

Try StubHub/Seat geeks, but they are very expensive.

Most I've ever paid for tickets - and probably will be until the Ags play for the national championship.
bqce
AG
Yep - got mine months ago on Stub Hub and they were very expensive then. I'm sure they're crazy now.
John Francis Donaghy
The Smokin Pig in Pendleton is worth the short trip from Clemson too. Great bbq joint.
baldmanwildhair
AG
Anyone in need of some live music for their Clemson tailgate?

My name is Ben Morris ('05) and I front the College Station-based band, Great American Boxcar Chorus. We are taking an acoustic trio on a mini-tour through some southeastern states and plan to be in Clemson for the big game; looking to hire on as tailgate entertainment if anyone is interested. For more info on the GABC, visit us at www.boxcarchorus.com; email to baldmanwildhair@gmail.com for more info.

Thanks and gig 'em!
Scott_Rhymer
John Francis Donaghy said:

The Smokin Pig in Pendleton is worth the short trip from Clemson too. Great bbq joint.
Having been to Texas 4 times now...I never now recommend BBQ to Texans.

I was humbled by the BBQ I had in Texas. Changed my paradigm!
inconvenient truth
where da white womens at?
Sporty Spice
AG
What section is everyone sitting in? My husband and I are about to buy tickets off Stubhub but can't decide whether to do A&M lower level sections (Section S I believe), go one up to Section US for a little cheaper but still close, or go big and sit 40-50 yard line with Clemson fans in Section Q or similar. Thoughts?
John Francis Donaghy
Scott_Rhymer said:

Lots of great bbq in Texas for sure, but I'm a "when in Rome" kinda guy. If I'm in the Carolinas, I want Carolina pulled BBQ and pork ribs. If I'm in Texas, I want brisket and beef ribs, burnt ends in KC, etc.

Too many good bbq styles out there to fixate on one and miss out on the rest.
bqce
AG
Top Deck Sideline TDO

Row Y | Seats 21, 23, 25, 27
Scott_Rhymer
Sporty Spice said:

What section is everyone sitting in? My husband and I are about to buy tickets off Stubhub but can't decide whether to do A&M lower level sections (Section S I believe), go one up to Section US for a little cheaper but still close, or go big and sit 40-50 yard line with Clemson fans in Section Q or similar. Thoughts?
Not to alter your thoughts...but US will be Clemson sections as well.

S is the visitor sections in lower level...along with T and V.

But US and UT will be Clemson sections (again, not saying you would not want to sit there just did not want you to mistakenly believe you would be in a sea of Aggie fans
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
Section D, Row Y here..... in a sea of Clemson fans!
fourth deck
AG

Scott_Rhymer said:

Lots of great bbq in Texas for sure, but I'm a "when in Rome" kinda guy. If I'm in the Carolinas, I want Carolina pulled BBQ and pork ribs. If I'm in Texas, I want brisket and beef ribs, burnt ends in KC, etc.

The barbecue around here seems to be focused on the sauces and is pretty weak on its own. The only place I've been that stood out is Bacon Bros. Other places like Smoke on the Water or Sticky Fingers are just bland. Same thing goes for Tex-Mex around here, just bland. And most Ags are coming from Texas so I'm not sure why you'd bother.

This old textile corridor wasn't really known for their food. If anything I'd focus more on trying 'southern' food here: shrimp and grits, fried chicken, biscuits, etc. or newer restaurants that are driven by chefs: Kitchen Sync for example. Of course there are always the higher end places where you can just about guarantee something great: Hall's Chophouse, any of the Rick Erwin's restaurants, Husk...
DavidAg02
Any tips on getting tickets other than StubHub? A Clemson friend of ours still hasn't received their season tickets of which we are promised 2. We already have flights and a place to stay, but no guaranteed tickets yet. Is this normal for season tickets to arrive so late?

Can't wait for some Beacon onion rings!
David Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002! Whoop! Houston, TX
John Francis Donaghy
fourth deck said:

Scott_Rhymer said:

The barbecue around here seems to be focused on the sauces and is pretty weak on its own. The only place I've been that stood out is Bacon Bros. Other places like Smoke on the Water or Sticky Fingers are just bland. Same thing goes for Tex-Mex around here, just bland. And most Ags are coming from Texas so I'm not sure why you'd bother.

This old textile corridor wasn't really known for their food. If anything I'd focus more on trying 'southern' food here: shrimp and grits, fried chicken, biscuits, etc. or newer restaurants that are driven by chefs: Kitchen Sync for example. Of course there are always the higher end places where you can just about guarantee something great: Hall's Chophouse, any of the Rick Erwin's restaurants, Husk...

I live in Texas and enjoy Texas bbq. I still make sure to get carolina bbq when I'm in that part of the country. If people travel 1000 miles from Texas to the Carolinas and go to a bbq joint expecting Texas bbq, it's on them when they're disappointed.
WestTexAg12
AG
Scott_Rhymer said:

Mostly Sunny Disposition said:

Damn Scott! Nicely done. This will be my 2nd trip to Clemson and we are bringing the whole tailgate. I searched on StubHub for parking passes in Lot 2 and 5. It looks like I'm about to shell out 400-500 for a pass so we can be in the middle of the party.

I believe it was you I met on your show back in 2004. I could be wrong but pretty sure I'm not.
If you can get into Lot 2 or Lot 5, even if spending that type of money, I would encourage you to do so. You don't want to come all the way for the game and then be stuck tailgating way out of the action.

For those not (or can't) tailgate and park near the stadium, if you walk through Lot 2 or Lot 5 before game, during halftime, or after game...Clemson fans will offer for you to join them. Also will be plenty of TV's in tailgate spots to watch games in progress.

Hope to see you come by the show again this year!

Which lots are overnight parking? Thinking about coming early; tailgating all day and night, then using a truck bed tent overnight and leaving Sunday morning.
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.