Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What will be the vote of the students?

22,610 Views | 186 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HBCanine08
C Loves L
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SECTAMU#1 said:

It is interesting that Florida continues to play Florida State;

South Carolina continues to play Clemson;

Georgia continues to play Georgia Tech.

Just something to think about.

You didnt name one program that has as many politicians and refs at their disposal as t.u does
Heisenberg01
AG
SECTAMU#1 said:

Florida's other non-conference games;
Charleston Southern, Colorado State, & Idaho
UGA's;
Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee, & UMass
USC
Coastal Carolina, Marshall, Chattanooga

So if we play tu permanently, get ready to play them and 3 crappy games. They will take the place of playing Clemson, Notre Dame, UCLA, Miami, etc. The idea of putting them on the schedule permanently will come at a great cost of seeing A&M play interesting national matchups, and put us back to playing a regional non-conference schedule.

Leaving this to students to vote on to be scapegoats is not leadership! You are supposed to be an example to our students of how to take on tough decisions, even if unpopular by a group that has less life experience. This is cowardice by our "leaders"!
FearNoWeevil
AG
SECTAMU#1 said:

And A&M and the SEC were prepared for the sip game to continue. Sip were the ones who said it wouldn't fit into "their" schedules anymore.
SECTAMU#1
In reading the responses and reading between the lines, the majority on this thread are taking a conservative stance and want to eliminate any high risk A&M may encounter in playing tu in the future. My guess is the majority of students, if as conservative, will follow suit in the vote.
levypantsEOY
I believe your guess will be wrong and that the students will, in fact, overwhelmingly vote to renew the rivalry.
yeshellyes
AG
Let's all buy Enron stock while we're at it
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
yeshellyes said:

Let's all buy Enron stock while we're at it

Username checks out.
yeshellyes
AG
Penn St. no longer plays Pitt.
Seriously77
Vote yes
RhodeAg
AG
Bring it back. Seriously.

We have no rivals...they take decades to develop. Right now...we have a schedule we play. And I can't seem to develop any hate for any of our SEC opponents. Not even Alabama...a program I admire.

We hate Texas...that is the foundation of a healthy, passion-filled rivalry. I want to feel the hate again. I want to saw Varsity's horns off.
Don't take life too seriously...no one gets out alive.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Maroon Flash said:

Quote:

Yes, he knows very little about A&M history because he considers a team 90 miles away that we have played 118 times more of a rival than a team 350 miles away that we have played 57 times.

Our game with the rival in the adjacent state happens to be a conference game with big time implications.

No way do I ever want us to get screwed again the way we did the last time we played stronghorns.

Like when LSU jumped offsides? That call had a bigger impact on the game than the sips call the last time we played them.

By your own logic, and since we are "actually" rivals with LSU, then you should REALLY not want to play them.
Eagle78
It's a foregone conclusion the vote will be yes.
greg.w.h
AG
Meh and bleh.
Sumlins Pool Guy
Let it go man... they can't hurt you anymore
Sumlins Pool Guy
Also playing the game can only help in the playoffs eyes.

If ags are on the bubble and beat a team that in all likelihood is going to big 12 championship game that can help. And on the other hand if Ags are West champs and going to Atlanta anyway that game will be win and you're in anyway.
Actual Talking Thermos
SECTAMU#1 said:

In reading the responses and reading between the lines, the majority on this thread are taking a conservative stance and want to eliminate any high risk A&M may encounter in playing tu in the future. My guess is the majority of students, if as conservative, will follow suit in the vote.

My guess is most of them are not. I suspect a very sizable chunk of them are not thinking like hardcore obsessive football fans. Not about the meta-game, playoff chances, recruiting battles, etc. I'm sure for many the question is just whether they get to experience this in-state rivalry game that was such a memorable part of the A&M student experience for generations of Aggies before them. When you take all the externalities away, it's a pretty fun time for the students.
dixichkn
AG
Ok well then, kiss your high profile OOC games away then. Clemson ain't happening again. Notre Dame ain't happening. Games that draw eyeballs on a national scale. Instead we want to go running back to our warm blankie......an opponent that will take a giant sh** on us any opportunity they get. We've seen decades of this already. But y'all don't care I guess. Bowtie made a giant decision to break us away from that craphole conference, and by every measure it's been the right move. But whatever, y'all go ahead and get your warm fuzzies by crawling back in bed with that bunch of snakes. Count me out.
West Point Aggie
AG
dixichkn said:

Ok well then, kiss your high profile OOC games away then. Clemson ain't happening again. Norte Dame ain't happening. Games that draw eyeballs on a national scale. Instead we want to go running back to our warm blankie......an opponent that will take a giant sh** on us any opportunity they get. We've seen decades of this already. But y'all don't care I guess. Bowtie made a giant decision to break us away from that craphole conference, and by every measure it's been the right move. But whatever, y'all go ahead and get your warm fuzzies by crawling back in bed with that bunch of snakes. Count me out.

It is remarkable how many would go right back...the only saving grace even if we do, is NOT to be in the same conference...I'll assume these same people would do all they could to change that, too!

...weird. The codependent factor of our fan base is huge!
Let’s Go Brandon!
StickTogetherAgs
dixichkn said:

Ok well then, kiss your high profile OOC games away then. Clemson ain't happening again. Norte Dame ain't happening. Games that draw eyeballs on a national scale. Instead we want to go running back to our warm blankie......an opponent that will take a giant sh** on us any opportunity they get. We've seen decades of this already. But y'all don't care I guess. Bowtie made a giant decision to break us away from that craphole conference, and by every measure it's been the right move. But whatever, y'all go ahead and get your warm fuzzies by crawling back in bed with that bunch of snakes. Count me out.

This
dixichkn said:

Texas - Texas A&M would be a big draw on a national scale. People all over the country would tune in for that.

The OOC argument is relevant but would be a bigger problem for Texas. They only have 3 OOC games. If the Ags take up one of those spots, then they would suffer just as you describe unless they increased their # of P5 games from 10 to 11.

"Count me out." --- Where would you go? You may not like it if the game resumes but you'll still be a loyal and dedicated fan of the Aggie football program.

Actual Talking Thermos
Heisenberg01 said:

Leaving this to students to vote on to be scapegoats is not leadership! You are supposed to be an example to our students of how to take on tough decisions, even if unpopular by a group that has less life experience. This is cowardice by our "leaders"!

They're not really hiding behind the students. They could easily have just said something like "the passion of our student section is unmatched and world-renowned, and we want to ensure that we maintain that passion by listening to our students' wishes when it comes to whether we revive the series."

They haven't done that at all. Young and Sharp are both unambiguously on the record in support of renewing. Young did a joint interview with Fenves where they said they had both instructed their respective ADs to figure out how to do it. The student senate passed a resolution calling for a student body vote, but to say the leadership is hiding behind it is just false.
Agvet12
AG
The OOC game helps tu, they need SEC games as much as they want to avoid admitting it. They need someway to stay relevant and prove they "belong" with the best. Playing the sips in the BDF doesn't do anything for us in this aspect except for smack talk (which we already do lol).

Again why do you think the sIps scrambled to find 3 SEC teams for their "premier" OOC opponent over the next decade (6 years with the h/h format)???
aggiedad55
AG
NO!
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

Count me out." --- Where would you go? You may not like it if the game resumes but you'll still be a loyal and dedicated fan of the Aggie football program.
Oh this is true.......but I would seriously have to rethink my season ticket money/donation. I can't get behind an administration that would make such an asinine and backward-thinking decision. And yeah I know they could replace our butts in those two seats in the blink of an eye.....no sh** Sherlock.......but y'know, they'll make their decisions and I'll make mine......

Quote:

Texas - Texas A&M would be a big draw on a national scale. People all over the country would tune in for that.
No......it wasn't a very big draw from a national standpoint in the first place, and DAMN sure won't be now that the NFL pretty much owns that TDay timeslot. In the state of Texas it was big. Beyond the Sabine and the Red.....no. Not at all. The eyeballs that A&M/Clemson drew would destroy whatever Ag/sip would nationally
APHIS AG
SECTAMU#1 said:

I would hope so that the students would vote accordingly, however, it is the alumni that brings in the money and the knowledge concerning the series that should also be involved.

Also, It has nothing to do with "risk" or "fear" and everything to do with the history we had and experienced them in the past.

t.u. owns the State and anyone that tells me otherwise does not know history. They own the media, have controlled the NCAA, and what they do not own, they will buy.

t.u. HAS to be number one in this State, by hook or by crook and they cannot have that "honor" without playing the only school in the State that can challenge them for they know that their conference is crap and playing an SEC team adds to their credibility.

That is the reason they are so desperate to renew the series for then, they can control the content.

Renewing the series is a losing proposition for us.
94chem
Quote:

We have no rivals...they take decades to develop.
If we start winning, we'll have plenty of rivals.
Sumlins Pool Guy
Games becoming important (what happens when you're winning) doesn't mean they're rivalry games
valvemonkey91
AG
There was a poster on TexAgs years back that summed up this debate in the most clear and concise way I had ever read. He went by Vestal Flame and I copied his words.

You , the current students, would be wise to heed his advice. The game only helps them. We are in a MUCH better place now without them.

"I explain to folks from out of state that the rivalry is existential, rather than merely athletic. In the 19th century, operatives representing the interests of tu tried to close Texas A&M. I explain that we were here first (1876), but they tried to get the legislature to kill off A&M in order to get more funding for themselves. The A&M-tu relationship is like a dysfunctional family in which the younger sibling tried to poison his older brother for the inheritance money. By the1920's, we were forced to sue tu for fair distribution of PUF funding. To say that they "cut us in" as though it was some act of charity is to ignore the acrimony of that litigation. By the 1960's, the cultural divide deepened as their students blocked the streets of Austin protesting a war that our Alumni were fighting. By the 1970's, they were actively thwarting our academic expansion into a modern research university. The reason it took A&M 40 years to get a law school was the interference of tu, starting in the 70's. We do business with them when we can. For example, there is frequently joint lobbying on issues of common concern. BUT, there is a LONG history of aggression by the 'sips that I will never in good conscience root for the ******s. It's not like they did things 120yrs ago that pissed me off. It's that they won't stop. Even the Longhorn Network was an attempt by the folks on the 40acres to screw us (and others in the Big 12) financially. There is a basic difference in worldview. But, more than that, there is 120 years of aggression. I'll cheer for colon cancer before I'll cheer for the 'sips."

Why on earth would anyone want to renew a game (that helps them more than us)?
valvemonkey91
AG
APHIS AG said:

SECTAMU#1 said:

I would hope so that the students would vote accordingly, however, it is the alumni that brings in the money and the knowledge concerning the series that should also be involved.

Also, It has nothing to do with "risk" or "fear" and everything to do with the history we had and experienced them in the past.

t.u. owns the State and anyone that tells me otherwise does not know history. They own the media, have controlled the NCAA, and what they do not own, they will buy.

t.u. HAS to be number one in this State, by hook or by crook and they cannot have that "honor" without playing the only school in the State that can challenge them for they know that their conference is crap and playing an SEC team adds to their credibility.

That is the reason they are so desperate to renew the series for then, they can control the content.

Well said, Aphis.
honky60
AG
They better damn sure poll the Former Students who support this football program to ask themwhat they want concerning the renewal of this rivalry!! The answer is 'hell no'. If it 'must' return, we better receive 70% of the revenue!!!! What goes around, comes around!!!!!!
Sumlins Pool Guy
honky60 said:

They better damn sure poll the Former Students who support this football program to ask themwhat they want concerning the renewal of this rivalry!! The answer is 'hell no'. If it 'must' return, we better receive 70% of the revenue!!!! What goes around, comes around!!!!!!

Maybe it's time you move on with your life and let college kids have fun. I'm sure when you were there you abstained from attending the game on principle
C4D
AG
No Way!

Respect History and Embrace the Future

Time to BTHO LSU!

Ag4coal
APHIS AG said:

SECTAMU#1 said:

Ag4coal
valvemonkey91 said:

There was a poster on TexAgs years back that summed up this debate in the most clear and concise way I had ever read. He went by Vestal Flame and I copied his words.

You , the current students, would be wise to heed his advice. The game only helps them. We are in a MUCH better place now without them.

"I explain to folks from out of state that the rivalry is existential, rather than merely athletic. In the 19th century, operatives representing the interests of tu tried to close Texas A&M. I explain that we were here first (1876), but they tried to get the legislature to kill off A&M in order to get more funding for themselves. The A&M-tu relationship is like a dysfunctional family in which the younger sibling tried to poison his older brother for the inheritance money. By the1920's, we were forced to sue tu for fair distribution of PUF funding. To say that they "cut us in" as though it was some act of charity is to ignore the acrimony of that litigation. By the 1960's, the cultural divide deepened as their students blocked the streets of Austin protesting a war that our Alumni were fighting. By the 1970's, they were actively thwarting our academic expansion into a modern research university. The reason it took A&M 40 years to get a law school was the interference of tu, starting in the 70's. We do business with them when we can. For example, there is frequently joint lobbying on issues of common concern. BUT, there is a LONG history of aggression by the 'sips that I will never in good conscience root for the ******s. It's not like they did things 120yrs ago that pissed me off. It's that they won't stop. Even the Longhorn Network was an attempt by the folks on the 40acres to screw us (and others in the Big 12) financially. There is a basic difference in worldview. But, more than that, there is 120 years of aggression. I'll cheer for colon cancer before I'll cheer for the 'sips."

Why on earth would anyone want to renew a game (that helps them more than us)?
88jrt06
AG
greg.w.h said:

Just so we are clear: that isn't a vote...and it's a self-selecting poll so useless.

E. O. T.

Ignore the stupid "poll".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.