Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What will be the vote of the students?

22,519 Views | 186 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HBCanine08
Showstopper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
88jrt06 said:

greg.w.h said:

Just so we are clear: that isn't a vote...and it's a self-selecting poll so useless.

E. O. T.

Ignore the stupid "poll".
just to be clear, a self selecting poll is basically what a vote is. That's why you hear people talk about likely voters in elections.

I think if it were not self-selecting, Hillary is probably President right now.
levypantsEOY
88jrt06 said:

greg.w.h said:

Just so we are clear: that isn't a vote...and it's a self-selecting poll so useless.

E. O. T.

Ignore the stupid "poll".

Good call. Let's ignore what the actual students want and focus on what a few angry Texags posters think is best for the program. We should also get the administration to start sending us their annual budgets so we can chime in and offer advice. This brain trust would have us the Harvard of Texas in no time.
yeshellyes
AG
Moral Stories
The Farmer and the Snake

A Farmer walked through his field one cold winter morning. On the ground lay a Snake, stiff and frozen with the cold. The Farmer knew how deadly the Snake could be, and yet he picked it up and put it in his bosom to warm it back to life.

The Snake soon revived, and when it had enough strength, bit the man who had been so kind to it. The bite was deadly and the Farmer felt that he must die. As he drew his last breath, he said to those standing around, "Learn from my fate not to take pity on a scoundrel".

Moral: There are some who never change their nature, regardless of how good we behave with them. Always stay alert and maintain the distance from those who are there only thinking about their own benefits.
tjack16
AG
OneAnd19More said:

Current student. I will be voting against reinstatement. The rivalry would benefit the sips right now more than it would us. Maybe that will change some day, but for now there is no reason we should help them out by boosting their SOS.
no.... it benefits whichever team wins the game.
rbcs_2
AG
yeshellyes said:

Moral Stories
The Farmer and the Snake

A Farmer walked through his field one cold winter morning. On the ground lay a Snake, stiff and frozen with the cold. The Farmer knew how deadly the Snake could be, and yet he picked it up and put it in his bosom to warm it back to life.

The Snake soon revived, and when it had enough strength, bit the man who had been so kind to it. The bite was deadly and the Farmer felt that he must die. As he drew his last breath, he said to those standing around, "Learn from my fate not to take pity on a scoundrel".

Moral: There are some who never change their nature, regardless of how good we behave with them. Always stay alert and maintain the distance from those who are there only thinking about their own benefits.
Yeah he sounds like one of these hipster "urban" farmers I've read stories about.
twk
AG
tjholley16 said:

OneAnd19More said:

Current student. I will be voting against reinstatement. The rivalry would benefit the sips right now more than it would us. Maybe that will change some day, but for now there is no reason we should help them out by boosting their SOS.
Not true. It benefits the sips, even if they lose on the field, if it provides them a marquee home series to support season ticket sales. We played LSU in Baton Rouge for decades not because we beat them regularly, but because we needed the paycheck (back in the days when teams split the gate).

As to those arguing that a poll of the students should determine whether we play the sips or not, I guess you guys would have opted to stay in the Big XII, because if you'd polled our entire fan base at the time (including a bunch of folks only mildly interested in sports), a majority probably would have opted to stay in the Big XII, whereas, the stakeholders were much more inclined to the SEC.

They had the option to continue the series when we left, and chose not to. There is no reason for us to throw them a lifeline now that they realize that was a mistake. Unless our scheduling philosophy changes, such that having two P5 non-conference games becomes the norm, then there's really no way I can see this move making sense to A&M.

Nostalgia is fine, but it should not govern future decisions. We can't bring back the SWC (why would anyone want to?), and we're unfortunately not bringing back on campus bonfire. We aren't going to play them Thanksgiving weekend because that would screw up the SEC schedule. Playing a non-conference series in September isn't going to bring back the rivalry that you remember.
Flashdiaz
AG
tjholley16 said:

OneAnd19More said:

in which way?

Certainly not in head to head recruiting... we're doing that already without it.
levypantsEOY
We had a great year but you're lying to yourself if you think that blowing the sips up on the field in front of millions of eyeballs wouldn't be a boon to recruiting.

It is a fact- beating the sips would be of benefit to us.

The idea that they "need it more" is bogus for three reasons. One- they already have strong OOC games scheduled for the next decade (to make up for a joke of conference). Two- they have no problem selling tickets regardless of their season. And the third and most important reason is this- WHO CARES WHAT THEY NEED?? The only question is whether or not it's good for A&M. And beating them is always good for A&M.
twk
AG
Quote:

they have no problem selling tickets regardless of their season
Absolutely 100% false. Even the sips are talking about the weakness of their home schedule due to the fact that they never play any real rival in Austin (the OU game always being in Dallas). Have you read nothing on this?
Agvet12
AG
levypantsEOY said:

We had a great year but you're lying to yourself if you think that blowing the sips up on the field in front of millions of eyeballs wouldn't be a boon to recruiting.

It is a fact- beating the sips would be of benefit to us.

The idea that they "need it more" is bogus for three reasons. One- they already have strong OOC games scheduled for the next decade (to make up for a joke of conference).Two- they have no problem selling tickets regardless of their season. And the third and most important reason is this- WHO CARES WHAT THEY NEED?? The only question is whether or not it's good for A&M. And beating them is always good for A&M.

1- they don't need us like they don't need the SEC because our conference is over rated right? There's a reason they have SEC teams as their premier OOC opponent for the next decade (ironically after we said our schedule was full). Them scheduling us, satisfies their requirement to play "sec games". They do need us/sec teams lol. Let them play LSU/Bama, UGA, those games are mutually beneficial for both parties in terms of recruiting Texas.

2- see reason 1, they need premier games to sell tickets, why are they just now pushing the narrative?l so hard? Again we don't need the game to recruit, start winning against Bama/LSU consistently and we will control the state (if Jimbo keeps this trend up we will anyways lol).

3- we are beating them, by not playing them lol. We've been more successful without them on our schedule than we have with them on it. We play a tougher schedule than the SWC days, we play bigger teams, we're pumping more money and attention into our athletic programs to keep up with the best division/conference in college football at the moment. We don't need them.

Currently the sips are the annoying neglected dog next door, they bark, they yell, and are annoying as hell but at the end of the day they only act this way because they don't get enough attention.
Showstopper
AG
rbcs_2 said:

yeshellyes said:

Moral Stories
The Farmer and the Snake

Yeah he sounds like one of these hipster "urban" farmers I've read stories about.
The things the farmers I knew did to snakes were more like Ol' Rock stories than moral stories
SECTAMU#1
Today is the day. We will find out soon.
HBCanine08
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

Bottom line:

If they want it, we know that it is good for them and bad for us.

They want it, so **** no.
This. Folks wanting the game either forgot all the BS that came with playing them or never experienced the BS. If we end up playing, they're going to twist the story that we NEEDED to play them. There's a reason 4 major universities left their conference and none have played them. I bet if OU left the conference they wouldn't schedule them either. Good riddance.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.