Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Better coach? sumlin or Sherman?

22,046 Views | 264 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dirty dan
Doug Ross
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
C4D said:

Sherman

He brought us Johnny , mike, luke, jake, patrick, and Jarvis

I think

so sherman was a better recruiter
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
67walkon
Sherman times 12
usmcbrooks
sawemoff2010 said:

This shouldn't even be close. Kevin Sumlin was the better coach and basically every measurable confirms that
Sumlin had JFF. If Sherman had JFF the same year Sumlin did, National Championship!
FishingAggie
Neither are Aggie coaches now. Who gives a ***t
Sbisa Chef
CFBCommenter said:

Former players that played for both said Sherman was way better X's and O's coach but summon was better game day coach. But what do they know.
Sumlin had the ability to adjust at halftime. Amazing visibility to schemes and such, and could make changes on the fly.

Sherman stuck to his gameplan, and when he was figured out, continued doing the same ol bull**** in the 2nd half. That's why he got shut down.
ApachePilot
AG
Sumlin gets the nod from me because unlike Sherman he didn't fall in love with a player and keep playing him until he was beyond terrible. I recall Missouri at Kyle in 2010, 3rd quarter and empty. Jerrod had a bad shoulder all season. Missouri kills us. Everyone knows we can't throw. Couldn't throw 10 yards. Sherman finally gets the hint and starts Ryan the next week... we win out. Next year fuller is crap and we just keep trying. And trying. So painful. Sherman couldn't move on. Couldn't adjust.

The 2000s were a nightmare for Aggie football. Lost decade

dixichkn
AG
going with Summy but it's damn near a tossup.

Sherman's undoing was his game management. Sumlin's was his coordinators.
TyperWoods
Orangutan said:

TyperWoods said:

Sherman had the team improving.

Sumlin, not so much.
2010 9-5
2011 7-6.
25-25.

With a team that had Tannehill and Von on it, Sherman still couldn't win 10 games. And he got lambasted by every SEC team he faced.
Yeah.

I didn't say Sherman had a better record.

I said the team was improving.

coloradoag69
AG
I guess these are the kind of discussions we have in the off season.

I think Sumlin gets the nod because he had to face SEC west opponents while Sherman got the little 12.

Just as a trivia comment, since we joined the SEC in 2012, only 4 teams have had a winning record every year: Alabama, LSU, George, and (drum roll please) Texas A&M. All other 10 teams managed to lose at least seven games in at least one year while getting to play at least three - sometimes 4 - pushovers in their non-conference schedules.

I liked both Sumlin and Sherman as men - I know that's not always popular. In the end, IMO, both weren't as successful as we need, because they couldn't construct a good enough defense. If Jimbo succeeds, and I hope he does, it will be because he brings a hard nosed defense to a league that requires it to win.
aeon-ag
sawemoff2010 said:

This shouldn't even be close. Kevin Sumlin was the better coach and basically every measurable confirms that
Sure, with a loaded roster with Sherman's recruits, yea, sure!!!!
W
AG
and for all the Fran hate...

he did beat the longhorns in both 2006 and 2007 with his players/recruits. Those t.u. teams were loaded, loaded, loaded with NFL talent.

those were a pair of great (upset) wins for the program...that Fran can always claim
ABATTBQ11
AG
ebag02 said:

Sherman 25 - 25 in the little 12, 1 winning season
Sumlin 51 - 26 in the SEC

Anyone who says Sherman is a moron.

Sumlin sucked without Sherman's players, particularly JFF.
AggieTFA06
AG
Both left Texas A&M Football better than when they found it.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
34blast
AggieTFA06 said:

Both left Texas A&M Football better than when they found it.
I don't think Sumlin left things better even at best.

Sherman by a bit for me. Sherman didn't have the players or the recruiting advantages of the SEC, new stadium. Sumlin squandered the 2012 success with 2013 recruiting debacle. Then using useless offensive coordinators slowing rolling down the drain and getting alot of wins post JFF against patsies.
ord89
AG
Sherman for player evaluation and development. Sumlin for coaching the college game. Both left A&M better than when they found it, so I am thankful for both.

I can't wait to see what Jimbo is able to build with the foundation in place.
Slicer97
AG
51-26, huh? How many of those 51 came against conference opponents? Hell, how many of those wins post-Johnny came against teams with a pulse.

Not in any way arguing that Sherman did an acceptable job for us, but it took him two full halves to blow the amount of lead Sumlin blew in 20 minutes.

Sherman was given the opportunity to coach in the NFL and CFL after his time at A&M. Sumlin was given the opportunity to coach at a university that doesn't give a **** about football.

Sumlin is almost as much smoke and mirrors as Fran, just with a better personality.
SA Ag
Sherm
yardwhisperer
AG
aggie090 said:

Let it go already! Who cares?
Obviously you cared enough to click on the thread and comment. Chill out
ebag02
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

ebag02 said:

Sherman 25 - 25 in the little 12, 1 winning season
Sumlin 51 - 26 in the SEC

Anyone who says Sherman is a moron.

Sumlin sucked without Sherman's players, particularly JFF.
Sumlin had a winning season every season with his own players. Sherman sucked without Von Miller and Tannehill, Fran's players. If we win 10 or 11 games this year does Jimbo get credit for winning with Sumlin's players? I guess Sumlin gets credit for all wins we have this year according moronic Texags logic.
HoustonAg2106
AG
aeon-ag said:

sawemoff2010 said:

Sure, with a loaded roster with Sherman's recruits, yea, sure!!!!

Then why did Sherman go 6-6 with that roster?
FishingAggie
Sherman and Sumlin both have the same number of wins agains LSU lol
ebag02
AG
FishingAggie said:

Sherman and Sumlin both have the same number of wins agains LSU lol
Also the same number of wins against Arkansas State!
EMIN was WOW!
How many CFB HC jobs has Sherman had besides A&M?

How many for Sumlin?

I was ready for Sumlin to go but he is a superior CFB HC to Sherman. Sherman was a great OL coach and a decent OC. He was a lousy HC at this level. Sumlin can at least pull a great season once during his tenure at places and finish above .500 consistently. Sherman did that once in four years here.

Pioneer
Sherman was a terrible coach. He's been fired several other places since aTm, including a high school!

He did get us a top o-line, but he blew a ton of huge halftime leads, and our team was not in shape.
HoustonAg2106
AG
The hate for Sumlin on here is staggering, his flaw was that he wasn't great and we wanted to get out of the middle of the pack in the SEC. He rarely lost games we should have won (obviously UCLA is the exception here) and Sherman did that routinely
Slicer97
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

The hate for Sumlin on here is staggering, his flaw was that he wasn't great and we wanted to get out of the middle of the pack in the SEC. He rarely lost games we should have won (obviously UCLA in '17, Auburn in '13, Mizzou in '14, LSU in '14, MissSt in '16, Ole Miss in '16 KState in '16 Wake Forest in '17 are the exceptions here) and Sherman did that routinely

fify, dude
chipotle
Sherman sucked with his well developed talented players and was .500.

Sumlin was awesome with sherman's well developed players but was meh when he started cooking himself.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Slicer97 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

The hate for Sumlin on here is staggering, his flaw was that he wasn't great and we wanted to get out of the middle of the pack in the SEC. He rarely lost games we should have won (obviously UCLA in '17, Auburn in '13, Mizzou in '14, LSU in '14, MissSt in '16, Ole Miss in '16 KState in '16 Wake Forest in '17 are the exceptions here) and Sherman did that routinely

fify, dude
Auburn in 2013 played for a national championship
Missouri won the SEC East in 2014
We were underdogs at LSU in 2014
He was fired before the Wake Forest game so obviously was not coaching that game

Ole Miss and Kansas State should have been wins (Mississippi State our QB got hurt in the first quarter)

Most of Sumlin's losses were to good teams, we got rid of him for a coach that we think can win games against those teams
Orangutan
AG
TyperWoods said:

Orangutan said:

TyperWoods said:

Sherman had the team improving.

Sumlin, not so much.
2010 9-5
2011 7-6.
25-25.

With a team that had Tannehill and Von on it, Sherman still couldn't win 10 games. And he got lambasted by every SEC team he faced.
Yeah.

I didn't say Sherman had a better record.

I said the team was improving.

In what world is going from 9-5 to 7-6 improvement?
HoustonAg2106
AG
Maybe it's too fresh for people too realize that Sumlin was not a bad coach for us. We definitely have a better coach now that will accomplish things Sumlin probably never would, but that doesn't make him a bad coach.

And Sherman is not a bad coach either, he's just not a good fit for the college game
Goro Majima
AG
Outright terrible? No. But he basically did the bare minimum and I'll never not be sore about that.
Traveler
AG
Mike Sherman was OBVIOUSLY the better coach except for:

Record
Record in Bowl Games
Record in Conference
Losing seasons
Losses to Arkansas State
Record vs. Top 20 Teams
Wins against Top 10 Teams
Nip and Tuck wins vs. Army
Top 25 Finishes
2nd Half Comebacks
Recruiting
Losses to Arkansas State

But other than those minor things, Sherman was the superior coach.

Ferg
Remember Sherman had to start two of his quarterbacks at Wide Receiver / Tight End and had to burn an OL Red Shirt at the end of his first season. He also had to come up with his crazy spring game scoring system because had so many OL injured or recovering from surgery.
greg.w.h
AG
Really? Offseason is so bad we need to invent fictional, meaningless rankings like John Cusack in High Fidelity???
Ferg
Against Georgia in Sherman's first bowl game the difference in the score due to special teams was larger than the total score difference because he only had a little more than one deep and couldn't put studs on special teams until the next year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.