Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Better coach? sumlin or Sherman?

22,213 Views | 264 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dirty dan
AgPrognosticator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If anyone thinks Sumlin could have righted the ship like Sherman did, send me a PM, I have some oceanfront property to sell you....

Sherman was and is a better football coach the Sumlina and it's not even close.
ebag02
AG
AgPrognosticator said:

If anyone thinks Sumlin could have righted the ship like Sherman did, send me a PM, I have some oceanfront property to sell you....

Sherman was a great coach, must be why he got another head coaching job right away.
Rongagin71
AG
I suppose everyone knows JFF has been traded to Montreal where Sherman will be his HC.
The outcome of this could change some opinions about Sherman, up or down.
HoustonAg2106
AG
AgPrognosticator said:

What ship did Sherman right exactly?
cr
Sherman and it's not close.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Sherman was a great coach, must be why he got another head coaching job right away.

First, UA was desperate because of bad timing. Rich Rod was not fired until January 3, 2018. Most know, but early-mid December is the time to hire College HC's.* We hired Jimbo on Dec 1, 2017.

Arizona fired Rich Rod over a slew of Title IX claims. He was only fired after UA's outside counsel concluded it's internal investigation in late December.

UA hired Sumlin because the options were limited. Anybody doubt, see below. They were considering names like Jeff Tedford, Seth Littrell, and Butch Jones...retreads

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/arizona-coaching-candidates-jeff-tedford-seth-litrell-butch-jones-among-top-choices/

Second, Sherman got a job as the OC for the Dolphins. Sumlin will never get hired as a pro coordinator, and probably never again be a college OC.

Currently, Sherman is now JFF's HC in Canada.

Stoops gave him the Co-OC title for resume fluff. Sumlin has not called plays since 2002 and is probably not capable. It is why Sumlin did not strip Spav of play-calling. Sumlin knew that he could not do a better job. A real Offensive HC would have stepped in and taken over play-calling in 2015.

Sumlin will never be a professional HC, nor OC, nor positions coach, nor anything else. He does not know enough football.

Sumlin will crash so unbelievably hard at Arizona. He might have a good year initially because of Khalil Tate, but he will tank by year 3 or 4. Arizona cannot recruit against USC and UCLA. About the only programs with inferior recruiting positions to UA are Washington St and Oregon St.

And, most middle class PAC programs have superior coaches: Utah, WSU, Colorado, Oregon. ASU doesn't and Cal's is unproven.

Sumlin is a decent recruiter, but look at his situations. At UH, he was able to recruit AAC level athletes without going more than an hour from home. He was at a huge advantage. At A&M, he was the only SEC program in the state. He had far greater resources than the majority of the conference.

Sumlin won most of his games at UH and A&M after KK left by, out-athleting opponents. Superior coaches like Dan Mullen and Hugh Freeze pushed it in him when they had halfway decent athletes.

Sumlin has never built anything. Sherman rebuilt us about 3/4 of the way (where we still are today). Briles rebuilt UH.

*Most NFL wait until either their team is out of the playoffs, or gets knocked out.
ebag02
AG
Arizona sounds like they were pretty desperate, but not desperate enough to give rebuilding artist and great head coach Sherman a job. Not one NFL or college program has been that desperate.

Spoiler alert, Sherman was promptly fired at Miami and his CFL team is in last place and scores the fewest points per game in CFL.
Showstopper
AG
Yeah but Fran left the cupboard bare in Miami, that high school in Massachusetts, and Montreal.
Agvet12
AG
Showstopper said:

Yeah but Fran left the cupboard bare in Miami, that high school in Massachusetts, and Montreal.

Sherman got the axe along with Turner for the OL debbacle, it was a publicity stunt for the organization as well as a way to try and change the scheme. The dolphins will always suck in that division when they're behind the bills, dolphins, Pats and Jets... it's really a fight not to be last in that division (as long as Bellicheck is the coach)

Ever been to Easthamm Mass?? It's a beach town, with maybe 1500 residents year around, and it's one of the few high schools on the upper cape. He's lucky to have a full team.

After the way he was fired, he never wanted another college job. We fired him when he was in Matt Davis's driveway... anyways Sherman thought he had at least another year as he wasn't building a win now program. He was a fantastic coach, but he had his problems and wanted to run the game management like the pros, it failed.

Sumlin is essentially a bag of wind full of empty promises. He wasn't a great coach (his only claim to fame was really playing JFF), wasn't a great CEO, he was just good at talking. He proved he couldn't run a program, and never learned his lessons. If Starkel hadn't been hurt you'dve see 2015 QB debacle all over again. There's a reason the NFL wouldn't touch Sumlin after 2015...

That said we made our choices and it led to Jimbo, so I'm happy where we're at.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Absolutely zero other schools wanted to hire Sherman before or after he coached at A&M. He literally can't win anything unless he has Brett Favre in his prime under center. He got fired from coaching high school and will get fired in the CFL.

He recruited worse and had a worse record than Fran. He didn't want to coach in the SEC. The love affair with him and the revisionist history is bizarre. He was terrible by every metric. Facts over feelings.

Sumlin > Fran > Sherman... and I'm no real fan of any of these coaches.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Agvet12 said:

Ever been to Easthamm Mass?? It's a beach town, with maybe 1500 residents year around, and it's one of the few high schools on the upper cape. He's lucky to have a full team.

The school has 1103 students. They were a few seasons removed from 6-5 and 9-2 records.
cr
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Quote:

First, UA was desperate because of bad timing. Rich Rod was not fired until January 3, 2018. Most know, but early-mid December is the time to hire College HC's.* We hired Jimbo on Dec 1, 2017.

Arizona fired Rich Rod over a slew of Title IX claims. He was only fired after UA's outside counsel concluded it's internal investigation in late December.

UA hired Sumlin because the options were limited. Anybody doubt, see below. They were considering names like Jeff Tedford, Seth Littrell, and Butch Jones...retreads

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/arizona-coaching-candidates-jeff-tedford-seth-litrell-butch-jones-among-top-choices/

Second, Sherman got a job as the OC for the Dolphins. Sumlin will never get hired as a pro coordinator, and probably never again be a college OC.

Currently, Sherman is now JFF's HC in Canada.

Stoops gave him the Co-OC title for resume fluff. Sumlin has not called plays since 2002 and is probably not capable. It is why Sumlin did not strip Spav of play-calling. Sumlin knew that he could not do a better job. A real Offensive HC would have stepped in and taken over play-calling in 2015.

Sumlin will never be a professional HC, nor OC, nor positions coach, nor anything else. He does not know enough football.

Sumlin will crash so unbelievably hard at Arizona. He might have a good year initially because of Khalil Tate, but he will tank by year 3 or 4. Arizona cannot recruit against USC and UCLA. About the only programs with inferior recruiting positions to UA are Washington St and Oregon St.

And, most middle class PAC programs have superior coaches: Utah, WSU, Colorado, Oregon. ASU doesn't and Cal's is unproven.

Sumlin is a decent recruiter, but look at his situations. At UH, he was able to recruit AAC level athletes without going more than an hour from home. He was at a huge advantage. At A&M, he was the only SEC program in the state. He had far greater resources than the majority of the conference.

Sumlin won most of his games at UH and A&M after KK left by, out-athleting opponents. Superior coaches like Dan Mullen and Hugh Freeze pushed it in him when they had halfway decent athletes.

Sumlin has never built anything. Sherman rebuilt us about 3/4 of the way (where we still are today). Briles rebuilt UH.

*Most NFL wait until either their team is out of the playoffs, or gets knocked out.

I always like reading your analysis bulaw...
cr
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

Absolutely zero other schools wanted to hire Sherman before or after he coached at A&M. He literally can't win anything unless he has Brett Favre in his prime under center. He got fired from coaching high school and will get fired in the CFL.

He recruited worse and had a worse record than Fran. He didn't want to coach in the SEC. The love affair with him and the revisionist history is bizarre. He was terrible by every metric. Facts over feelings.

Sumlin > Fran > Sherman... and I'm no real fan of any of these coaches.

HoustonAg2106
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

Agvet12 said:

The school has 1103 students. They were a few seasons removed from 6-5 and 9-2 records.

Stop it with your facts

The mere fact that he had to coach high school for two years shows how highly GMs and ADs thought of him, you Sherman honks are insane
Ronnie Mund
Literally lol'ing at people that think Sherman is somehow a good coach. Then again, this board's overall football IQ is really, really low.
Agsuffering@bulaw
The Dolphins are a poorly run organization. Sherman had success as an OC with the Texans.

Sherman could have found another college job if he wanted it. He did not. I don't blame him. College coaches have to spend a good chunk of time selling recruits and politicking with alums.

Sherm's bread and butter is scouting and development. Sumlin is all about talking, his only marketable skill.

The one concession I will make is that Sherman could not have done what Sumlin did in 2012, even though Sumlin caught several breaks. Pressure got to Sherman, especially in games we were expected to win. The pressure does not get to Sumlin, because he believes his own lies. He is supremely self-confident.

His weakness is that because he believes his lies, he is unable to correct problems. He only hired Chavis and then Mazzone b/c the bigs made him.

I am NOT saying that Sherm was SEC champion material, he was not. But he was good enough to show up in 2008 and restock the cupboard, mostly by scouting and development. Sherman did not have the SEC to sell until late in 2011. The sips and ou were both rolling. Sumlin could not have righted the ship.

EDIT: And I believe Sherman was good enough to win 9 games most years in the SEC. The SEC brand is an awesome recruiting weapon. IF anyone doubts, watch Sumlin attempt to recruit to Arizona.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

The Dolphins are a poorly run organization. Sherman had success as an OC with the Texans.

Sherman could have found another college job if he wanted it. He did not. I don't blame him. College coaches have to spend a good chunk of time selling recruits and politicking with alums.

Sherm's bread and butter is scouting and development. Sumlin is all about talking, his only marketable skill.

The one concession I will make is that Sherman could not have done what Sumlin did in 2012, even though Sumlin caught several breaks. Pressure got to Sherman, especially in games we were expected to win. The pressure does not get to Sumlin, because he believes his own lies. He is supremely self-confident.

His weakness is that because he believes his lies, he is unable to correct problems. He only hired Chavis and then Mazzone b/c the bigs made him.

I am NOT saying that Sherm was SEC champion material, he was not. But he was good enough to show up in 2008 and restock the cupboard, mostly by scouting and development. Sherman did not have the SEC to sell until late in 2011. The sips and ou were both rolling. Sumlin could not have righted the ship.

EDIT: And I believe Sherman was good enough to win 9 games most years in the SEC. The SEC brand is an awesome recruiting weapon. IF anyone doubts, watch Sumlin attempt to recruit to Arizona.

His "success" with the Texans equated in back to back last place finishes in the AFC South (and didn't Kubiak call the plays anyway?). Sherman has been a coach on a team with a winning record ONE time since 2005, try to spin that doctor.

Cobra39
HoustonAg2106 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

His "success" with the Texans equated in back to back last place finishes in the AFC South (and didn't Kubiak call the plays anyway?). Sherman has been a coach on a team with a winning record ONE time since 2005, try to spin that doctor.

Boy...you have really been googling Mike Sherman a lot lately....or I guess you just have all of his info bookmarked.

You don't want him to be, but Sherman is a respected football coach at all levels. Sumlin is a borderline "fraud".

The above post that you quoted is a good summary of the two.

Cobra39
HoustonAg2106
AG
Cobra39 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Boy...you have really been googling Mike Sherman a lot lately....or I guess you just have all of his info bookmarked.

You don't want him to be, but Sherman is a respected football coach at all levels. Sumlin is a borderline "fraud".

Cobra39

I am well aware that he is a respected coach, but the above post that I quoted even alludes to him not being a good head coach in college
Aginnebraska
AG
PooDoo said:

This GIF is just painful to watch. As much as I'd like Sherman to be successful he just looks like a confused old man.
superunknown
AG
Ronnie Mund said:

Literally lol'ing at people that think Sherman is somehow a good coach. Then again, this board's overall football IQ is really, really low.

Does that bawtha you?
Orangutan
AG
Cobra39 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Cobra39

51 - 26 in the SEC and Sumlin is a fraud?
If being 25 games over .500 makes one a fraud, what is a head coach that goes 25-25?
One can make the argument that Fran was a better HC than Sherman. And everyone hates Franchione.
Joe Exotic
AG
Ronnie Mund said:

I like how they all bend over backwards to excuse Sherman's terrible record and in game coaching blunders but blame Sumlin for everything under the sun.

By just about every quantifiable metric Sumlin was better than Sherman.
Slicer97
AG
He wasn't 51-26 in the SEC. He was 25-23 in the SEC. He was 14-16 against the SEC West. That's what makes him a fraud.
tford12
AG
Sumlin. I understand that he took over a better program than Shem did, and the wreckage from Fran handicapped Sherm's first 2 years.

But Sumlin had a significantly better record in a much tougher conference.
I don't think the 2012 team has the success it had if Sherm was still there.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Slicer97 said:

He wasn't 51-26 in the SEC. He was 25-23 in the SEC. He was 14-16 against the SEC West. That's what makes him a fraud.
What is better 25-23 in the SEC or 15-18 in the Big 12?

And non conference 26-3 or 10-7?
Orangutan
AG
Slicer97 said:

So Sumlin's conference record (playing in the SEC) is still better than Sherman's overall record (playing powerhouses like Arkansas State).
How was Sherm's record against SEC opponents by the way?

And don't forget, Sherman lost our last game versus our rival. At home. To a team led by Case ****ing Mccoy.
Agsuffering@bulaw
OK, let's talk about the Texans. Kubiak took over a team that went 2-14. They won 6 in year 1 and 8 in year 2. By year 2, the offense was good. The defense was the problem.

Let's talk about the SEC. Programs with comparable resources and recruiting position:

-LSU (0-6)
-Bama (1-5)
-Auburn (3-3)
-UGA (NA)
-UF (1-1)
-UT (1-0) [this one is debatable, their recruits must come from other states]

Total: 6-15

Sumlin could not hang with the class of the conference. He won by out-athleting lesser programs.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

OK, let's talk about the Texans. Kubiak took over a team that went 2-14. They won 6 in year 1 and 8 in year 2. By year 2, the offense was good. The defense was the problem.

Let's talk about the SEC. Programs with comparable resources and recruiting position:

-LSU (0-6)
-Bama (1-5)
-Auburn (3-3)
-UGA (NA)
-UF (1-1)

Sumlin could not hang with the class of the conference. He won by out-athleting lesser programs.
Yes and Sherman lost to teams that were both the class of the conference as well as inferior opponents. Take away the top 2 conference opponents on both of their resumes and Sumlin's conference record is 24-12 while Sherman is 13-12.

If you're going to cherry-pick like that you should do it for both sides.
Joe Exotic
AG
Slicer97 said:

Sherman was 15-18 in Big 12 play.
ebag02
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

-LSU (0-6)
-Bama (1-5)
-Auburn (3-3)
-UGA (NA)
-UF (1-1)

Sherman
0-4 vs OSU
1-3 vs OU
1-3 vs tu
0-4 vs Arkansas and Arkansas State

total 2 - 14
Joe Exotic
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

-LSU (0-6)
-Bama (1-5)
-Auburn (3-3)
-UGA (NA)
-UF (1-1)

Sherman was 3-6 against Nebraska, OU, and Texas
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Sherman didn't have the SEC to sell until late in 2011...

And I believe Sherman was good enough to win 9 games most years in the SEC. The SEC brand is an awesome recruiting weapon. IF anyone doubts, watch Sumlin attempt to recruit to Arizona.

Sherman was completely against the SEC move. He had no desire to sell it and had no confidence that we could compete.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/brent_zwerneman/amp/Sherman-breaks-silence-on-move-to-SEC-2215932.php

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chron.com/sports/aggies/amp/Mike-Sherman-era-comes-to-an-end-at-A-amp-M-2339391.php
Agsuffering@bulaw
Sherman gets a pass for his first 2 years. The program was talent poor.

Yes, Sherman had a tendency to choke in big games we should have won I never denied that. He also won several games we were supposed to lose. My point was that Sherman was good enough at scouting and development that he would have eventually built enough talent to where he could overcome his choking most of the time.

And again, look at the resources:

Sumlin came in with a 3/4 full cupboard, the SEC brand, tu in decline, and ou hitting road bumps. Sumlin was given a huge budget to hire assistants. The program got progressively worse every year, other than 2016. Sumlin was on his way to a perpetual 7-6.

Again, not saying either would be my first choice if I were an AD at some mid-major program. Sherman would give me a chance to rebuild. Sumlin would not.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Honest question: if what you say is true, why is Sumlin coaching at a Power 5 school while Sherman is about to get canned in the CFL?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.