Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Better coach? sumlin or Sherman?

21,797 Views | 264 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dirty dan
Token
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need to settle a debate

https://goo.gl/forms/k8dsTGQRnKbXJJLw1
Indignitas
AG
Not gonna click it

Sponge
AG
Neither could manage a second half.

At least sherman could recruit and develop a great OL.
sawemoff2010
AG
This shouldn't even be close. Kevin Sumlin was the better coach and basically every measurable confirms that
BoxingAg84
Sherman couldn't win with Sherman players.
Sumlin could win with Sherman players.
Advantage, Sumlin.
woodyhayes
Sherman. No contest.
oklacityag75
AG
Sherman. Let's not forget what the fraud left for Sherman...3 THREE OL, shattered and destroyed recruiting relationships with the top Texas High Schools and almost all of Louisiana. The fraud was known throughout Texas high school coaches as an arrogant self loving ***** who considered high school coaches inferior to him. That was the image Texas A&M had when Sherman got to College Station.

Sherman had to rebuild the recruiting relationships in Texas and Louisiana. He had to restore discipline and order to the team. How well did he do? It was Sherman's recruits that won for Sumlin. 6 of Sherman's inherited recruits were 1st round draft picks. When Sumlin had to use his players, he failed.

Fast forward to Arizona. He has another top Heisman type of QB waiting for him. Curious to see how another coach's recruit plays out for Sumlin. Sumlin will have at least 1 more good season before his recruiting catches up you him again.
yell_on_6th st
AG
Tallest midget? Who cares...
ebag02
AG
Sherman 25 - 25 in the little 12, 1 winning season
Sumlin 51 - 26 in the SEC

Anyone who says Sherman is a moron.
JustisWalkert
AG
Another thing to consider:

What was the trend as Sherman replaced Fran's players with his own
What was the trend as Sumlin replaced Sherman's players with his own
CFBCommenter
Former players that played for both said Sherman was way better X's and O's coach but summon was better game day coach. But what do they know.
FishingAggie
ebag02 said:

Sherman recruited ALL the players that got Sumlin his wins. Take out the wins from jff years. The o line. Jff lol.

Now look at Sumlin's ' record...

What would Sherman have done the next year with those guys?

I'll moronically say Sherman was better.
ebag02
AG
FishingAggie said:

ebag02 said:

Sherman recruited ALL the players that got Sumlin his wins. Take out the wins from jff years. The o line. Jff lol.

Now look at Sumlin's ' record...

What would Sherman have done the next year with those guys?

I'll moronically say Sherman was better.
Make it fair then, take out Sherman's 9 win season lead by Von Miller and Tannehill. They were both Fran recruits.

Honestly I doubt Sherman would have even gone to bat for Johnny when he almost got kicked out of school after his arrest.
TXAG 05
AG
Take away all the JFF magic that got us through a lot of games, and the shine comes off Sumlins record pretty quick.
cannon91
AG
JustisWalkert said:

Another thing to consider:

What was the trend as Sherman replaced Fran's players with his own
What was the trend as Sumlin replaced Sherman's players with his own
Yep well put

Silly to compare either but I will always appreciate Sherman's work to restore the foundation of our team after the Fran years. He brought some stability that we expected Sumlin to use to take us farther. Sumlin didn't, but we also moved to the SEC, played JFF (and Sherman probably wouldn't have).

It ended really badly with Sumlin, with Sherman it just ended. Glad they're both gone and don't think about them really, because they have enough of our money
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Sherman inherited crap from Fran. Fran was running the option and grosely underutilized Martellus and McGee.

It would have been interesting to see one more year of Sherman. I think he deserved that one year to make it or not.

I think Sherman was the better coach regardless of record. Again, he inherited garbage.
TyperWoods
Sherman had the team improving.

Sumlin, not so much.
alamoaggie 64
Sherman, no doubt.
Orangutan
AG
TyperWoods said:

Sherman had the team improving.

Sumlin, not so much.
2010 9-5
2011 7-6.
25-25.

With a team that had Tannehill and Von on it, Sherman still couldn't win 10 games. And he got lambasted by every SEC team he faced.
SABUILDERAG
I'll bite on this.

Both have pluses and lots of minuses, but I will take Sumlin based on one thing. He went with Johnny when it would have been easier to go with the more experienced and safer alternative. Sherman didn't really want Johnny when we offered and had to be talked into it by some of his staff, and I don't think he would have played him, especially after the legal issues in the summer. Sumlin saw the potential for greatness and rolled the dice, knowing that it could have backfired on him right off the bat. Without that decision the A&M program is in a much different place today.
W
AG
um, Fran was a better coach than Sherman
aggie090
AG
Let it go already! Who cares?
Ags4DaWin
Sherman. Recruited well. Developed good players that were underrated. His main faults: tried to micromanage the offense on game days and wouldn't let OC take charge of the offense which led to lack of second half adjustments necessary to seall wins.

[Sumlin] overrated. A players' coach. Period.
monarch
S
Sherman by far; no question.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
This is an interesting debate because there are great points for both sides. I don't really like comparing overall record since only one of these coaches had to take over after Fran who we all consider to have set the program back two decades. Sherman's teams did get better with each season which you can say the opposite for Sumlin. And even with lesser teams, Sherman never got beat 59-0. He had a few second half collapses in 2011 but nothing was as bad as 44-10. I honestly feel like things were easier for Sumlin. He had more to sell recruits. A better conference and better facilities. And he had a really good set of players to start with, thanks to Sherman. I also just feel like I enjoyed watching the last couple of Sherman years much more than Sumlin's. We were in a lot of close games whereas Sumlin would let struggling LSU, MSU, and Ole Miss teams stomp us. A lot of times at home too. I'd also say the Petrino-led Arkansas teams Sherman lost to were light-years better than the ones Sumlin faced.

I'm gonna have to go with Sherman on this one.
Joe Exotic
AG
You are what your record says you area. Sumlin was far and away better. It isn't debatable unless you are a mouth breathing moron.
Joe Exotic
AG
Quote:

I'd also say the Petrino-led Arkansas teams Sherman lost to were light-years better than the ones Sumlin faced.

What about Arkansas State? Who led them?
Rongagin71
AG
Maybe it was my pro-Aggie bias, but I thought Sherman got screwed by the BigTwo refs - it seemed like we constantly got holding and pass interference calls and other teams not so much, especially in the second half.
But it's all past and matters little now that we're SEC.
FishingAggie
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

You are what your record says you area. Sumlin was far and away better. It isn't debatable unless you are a mouth breathing moron.

Go back to politics. Thsts where you live to argue

Look up Saban's record in the NFL. Guess he sucks.

2004FIGHTINTXAG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Quote:

I'd also say the Petrino-led Arkansas teams Sherman lost to were light-years better than the ones Sumlin faced.

Again, Sherman inherited an option garbage team from Fran.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
W said:

um, Fran was a better coach than Sherman

This is crazy talk. No one was worse than Fran!
BombayAg
BoxingAg84 said:

Sherman couldn't win with Sherman players.
Sumlin could win with Sherman players.
Advantage, Sumlin.

But Sumlin cannot win with Sumlin's players.

So TIE.
Joe Exotic
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Quote:

He should be able to beat an Arkansas State team regardless of what he inherited. And years later he still managed to barely go .500 in the worst conference in the country.
Joe Exotic
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Quote:

Fran had a better overall record at A&M than Sherman
Joe Exotic
AG
FishingAggie said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Go back to politics. Thsts where you live to argue

Look up Saban's record in the NFL. Guess he sucks.

Saban was a terrible NFL coach. That is still true until he proves it isn't.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.