Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Better coach? sumlin or Sherman?

22,187 Views | 264 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dirty dan
C4D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sherman

He brought us Johnny , mike, luke, jake, patrick, and Jarvis

I think

2004FIGHTINTXAG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Quote:

I'd also say the Petrino-led Arkansas teams Sherman lost to were light-years better than the ones Sumlin faced.

What about Arkansas State? Who led them?

Again, Sherman inherited an option garbage team from Fran.

He should be able to beat an Arkansas State team regardless of what he inherited. And years later he still managed to barely go .500 in the worst conference in the country.

Didn't Sumlin barely beat ULL last year? What about Monroe two years before that? Those games went down to the wire and they were during his 4th and 6th seasons.

Edit: The Big12 was not the worst conference back then. In fact it was between them and the SEC every year for being the best. Not sure why you said that.
FishingAggie
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

FishingAggie said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

You are what your record says you area. Sumlin was far and away better. It isn't debatable unless you are a mouth breathing moron.

Go back to politics. Thsts where you live to argue

Look up Saban's record in the NFL. Guess he sucks.

Saban was a terrible NFL coach. That is still true until he proves it isn't.

Well everyone knows there's more pairity in the NFL
It's real coaching.

Now at Bama with 85 kids that are 5 stars... is that coaching or a little bit of both coaching and talent? He can recruit for some reason better in college. Gives him the advantage he needs.

What is sumlin's record after 2012/2013? That's a more fair assessment of his coaching skills.

He won with another coach's talent. Got fired with his kids

ebag02
AG
FishingAggie said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

FishingAggie said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

You are what your record says you area. Sumlin was far and away better. It isn't debatable unless you are a mouth breathing moron.

Go back to politics. Thsts where you live to argue

Look up Saban's record in the NFL. Guess he sucks.

Saban was a terrible NFL coach. That is still true until he proves it isn't.

Well everyone knows there's more pairity in the NFL
It's real coaching.

Now at Bama with 85 kids that are 5 stars... is that coaching or a little bit of both coaching and talent? He can recruit for some reason better in college. Gives him the advantage he needs.

What is sumlin's record after 2012/2013? That's a more fair assessment of his coaching skills.

He won with another coach's talent. Got fired with his kids

Recruiting is huge part of a college football coach's job, that's why success in college and the NFL rarely translate.

It doesn't matter what years you try and cherry pick from Sumlin's record, Sherman had 1 season where he was above .500 at the end of the season! He won 0 bowl games. He was a complete failure! He was never offered another head coaching job in the United States for his effort. His CFL team is in last place right now, I guess that's Fran's fault though.
HoustonAg2106
AG
FishingAggie said:

ebag02 said:

Sherman 25 - 25 in the little 12, 1 winning season
Sumlin 51 - 26 in the SEC

Anyone who says Sherman is a moron.

Sherman recruited ALL the players that got Sumlin his wins. Take out the wins from jff years. The o line. Jff lol.

Now look at Sumlin's ' record...

What would Sherman have done the next year with those guys?

I'll moronically say Sherman was better.

So Sherman would have done better in the SEC than 51-26? They may have been Sherman's players, but Sumlin is obviously the better coach for college...don't forget what he did at UH also, there is no chance that Sherman would have been 20-6 our first two years in the SEC

And don't forget Sumlin had winning seasons every year even after Sherman's recruits were gone, Sherman had ONE winning season
Unnecessary Deafness
AG
I didn't realize Sumlin actually coached anyone. Everyone use to say he was the CEO type.

Sherman is the better coach no question. As far instructional teaching and guidance of the game went. This doesn't necessarily translate to wins. Sherm had an eye for talent and could develop it. When it comes to X & O it's not even a discussion as to who is better.

Sumlin was a good recruiter (when he wanted to be one) and brought a lot of flare to our program when we needed it. Sumlin was given everything he needed to succeed and underachieved.

PooDoo
AG
FishingAggie
HoustonAg2106 said:

FishingAggie said:

ebag02 said:

Sherman recruited ALL the players that got Sumlin his wins. Take out the wins from jff years. The o line. Jff lol.

So Sherman would have done better in the SEC than 51-26? They may have been Sherman's players, but Sumlin is obviously the better coach for college...don't forget what he did at UH also, there is no chance that Sherman would have been 20-6 our first two years in the SEC

And don't forget Sumlin had winning seasons every year even after Sherman's recruits were gone, Sherman had ONE winning season

lol. Houston.

He inherited art's qb and team there as well
Sumlin is very, very good at taking another coach's talent and not screwing it up

With his own players he's an average coach at best.

Yes. I think Sherman would have done better with j the sec if he'd have coached in 2012/2013

We are guessing because he didn't get the chance.

Sumlin PROVED he couldn't get the job done.
Sumlin lost his job over stidham alone.

Take him and he's still here. Career ending move right there.
WtHrOoOlPl
AG
Fran left little for Sherman to work with. Sherman recruited and lead the team to a winning season after 2 years. All of Sumlin's first season wins are completely due to Sherman's success in recruiting & the 1/2 a season it took the SEC to learn how to shut down the Air Raid. Sherman taught time management to an obsessive level. Sherman has experience across all echelon's of American Football. Sherman's CFL team probably can beat Sumlin's Arizona NCAA team at either version of the game on either field.
Aggie Football is only played for 2 quarters, choose wisely.
'03, '09 Walton Loads
W
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Take away all the JFF magic that got us through a lot of games, and the shine comes off Sumlins record pretty quick.
gotta disagree.

those 2016 home wins vs. UCLA and Tennessee were big ones on CBS national TV. Sumlin will always get credit for those.

and some of the wins vs. Arkansas at Jerryworld were big ones too
W
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Sherman inherited crap from Fran. Fran was running the option and grosely underutilized Martellus and McGee.

It would have been interesting to see one more year of Sherman. I think he deserved that one year to make it or not.

I think Sherman was the better coach regardless of record. Again, he inherited garbage.
what?

Von and Tannehill were Fran recruits. So was Jerrod, Jordan Pugh, et al
BoxingAg84
Coach Sherman during the second half....

Joe Exotic
AG
I never realized Sherman didn't win a single bowl game. That's unbelievable. Probably frans fault too I'm guessing.
Aggiehoss04
AG
Sumlin inherited the equivalent of the 2013 auburn squad: top 5-10 talent coming off a snakebitten season but a roster full of future pros

Sherman inherited the equivalent of the 2018 arkie squad.

Sumlin rode the wave but his player development sucked. Sherman developed talent, but thought he could coach 18-22 year olds like 25-35 yr old pros

Goro Majima
AG
Sumlin. Mediocre and lazy as he was, his record speaks for itself compared to Sherman's.
zephyr88
AG
RC>Sherrill>Sumlin>Sherman>Fran
HoustonAg2106
AG
FishingAggie said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

FishingAggie said:

ebag02 said:

lol. Houston.

He inherited art's qb and team there as well
Sumlin is very, very good at taking another coach's talent and not screwing it up

With his own players he's an average coach at best.

Yes. I think Sherman would have done better with j the sec if he'd have coached in 2012/2013

We are guessing because he didn't get the chance.

Sumlin PROVED he couldn't get the job done.
Sumlin lost his job over stidham alone.

Take him and he's still here. Career ending move right there.
His fourth year at UH (with mostly his players mind you) he went 12-1, his 4th, 5th, and 6th years at A&M (with mostly his players) he had winning seasons every single year. Sherman had one winning season and in his last season an NFL starting quarterback he went 6-6 in the big 12 (with the same team that Sumlin inherited).
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Quote:

I'd also say the Petrino-led Arkansas teams Sherman lost to were light-years better than the ones Sumlin faced.

He should be able to beat an Arkansas State team regardless of what he inherited. And years later he still managed to barely go .500 in the worst conference in the country.
That's all I need to read to understand you don't know what you're talking about
Goro Majima
AG
I'd actually swap Slocum and Sherrill as far as pure coaching ability.
HoustonAg2106
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Quote:

That's all I need to read to understand you don't know what you're talking about

I'm sure he meant worst power 5 conference
zephyr88
AG
AggieTurok said:

I'd actually swap Slocum and Sherrill as far as pure coaching ability.

Tough one... Sherrill got us back on the map. Slocum kept us relevant.
Aggie_Nuke
AG
ebag02 said:

If your definition of "better" is just the win-loss record, Sherman would not be the "better" coach.

However, if you think anyone else who doesn't agree with you is a "moron", then I say show me your MENSA Membership Card, Bubba, and I'll show you mine.....then we can decide who is a "moron".

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
HoustonAg2106
AG
Aggie_Nuke said:

ebag02 said:

If your definition of "better" is just the win-loss record, Sherman would not be the "better" coach.

However, if you think anyone else who doesn't agree with you is a "moron", then I say show me your MENSA Membership Card, Bubba, and I'll show you mine.....then we can decide who is a "moron".

Compare IQ scores, now that's how you win a football debate!
Aggie_Nuke
AG
You took football out of it, when you called people morons for having a different opinion.

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
HoustonAg2106
AG
Aggie_Nuke said:

You took football out of it, when you called people morons for having a different opinion.
Well to be fair that wasn't me who called anyone a moron, I just found it funny that someone thought their IQ scores would some how translate to their knowledge of football.
Aggie_Nuke
AG
Never said a word about translating/correlating intelligence to football coaching.

However, when you call someone a "moron" you are implying a certain level of intelligence (or lack thereof), regardless of the subject matter (in this case, football).

So, if you're going to question someone's intelligence, then it why is it unreasonable to question yours/theirs ?

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
Orangutan
AG
This board's love affair with Sherman is mind-boggling.
BTW, his 2 years as a high school football head coach since leaving A&M:
1-10
3-8
HoustonAg2106
AG
Aggie_Nuke said:

Never said a word about translating/correlating intelligence to football coaching.

However, when you call someone a "moron" you are implying a certain level of intelligence (or lack thereof), regardless of the subject matter (in this case, football).

So, if you're going to question someone's intelligence, then it why is it unreasonable to question yours/theirs ?
I can't speak for the name caller, but I'm pretty sure he meant "football moron"...it's like the difference between street smarts and book smarts, my friend is a double major in petroleum and civil engineering yet she was confused how a bird got into Kyle Field when it flew by her in the stands
ironmanag
AG
Sumlin won with Sumlin players moreso than Sherman won with his. Not to mention Sumlin never lost to an Arkansas St.

And Sumlin wasn't afraid of the SEC. Sherman clearly was.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Aggie_Nuke
AG
Regardless of what he "meant" to say, by calling people "moron" he was the one bringing the question of intelligence to the argument, not me.

I merely questioned his intelligence...... as I said, if it's fair for him to question the intelligence of those who disagree with him, then why is it unfair to question his intelligence ?

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
HoustonAg2106
AG
Orangutan said:

This board's love affair with Sherman is mind-boggling.
BTW, his 2 years as a high school football head coach since leaving A&M:
1-10
3-8

What's his record as head coach in the CFL?
ebag02
AG
His team is 1-3. That's good for last in the division. Also the least points scored and the second most points allowed in the league. The team with the most points allowed has played 5 games. Nice guy, terrible coach.
rebelAg02
Sherman took over a program that was in an awful state in 2007 and tied for the Big 12 south title in 2010.

In 2011 his team lost a total of 6 games. 5 of those games by an average of 3 points loss and four of those teams finished in the top 25. Give Sherman a new S&C coach like Larry Jackson and the other resources Sumlin was afforded and he could have been our guy.

Mike Sherman is easily the most underrated coach by our fan base since I started following Aggie football in the mid 90's

Glad we have Jimbo and had some fun watching Sumlin's program but it pisses me off when people just look at 2011 win/loss record with no context around the season and recent history of the program and bash Sherman
T-Shizzle
Ugh Sumlin inherited crap on defense, going into the toughest conference in college football! The hate for Sumlin is unreal! Some of y'all have really bad memories.
Doug Ross
AG
they both sucked
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.