Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Yessir!

16,851 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BattleCattle
2thFixinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tamu_mgm said:

TXM Pride said:

TommyDreamer said:

Who gets credit for Mike Evans development?

He tore it up on scout team when he redshirted. Both him and Johnny. By the time Summy got here he was already the WR we got to enjoy watching for 2 years. So I would say have to give that one to Sherman. There have been some guys who have developed under sumlins watch. As cbates pointed out Dae Dae added size and became a real player. What he failed to mention was that Daeshon was a highly rated 4*, something our newest commit isn't. (Not dogging the kid, just point out a flaw in "I live in premium" arguement).
Wow some of you guys literally can't give credit to Sumlin for anything. I don't think you read what you put. So Mike Evans was already polished, ready to go and only developed under Sherman, but then basically plateaued for the 2 years Sumlin / Beaty were his coaches. Sherman had the guy for ONE year and he didn't even play that year, whether he tore up the scout team or not. Sumlin and Beaty helped take him to that next level for the 2 years they had him and he actually played.
Well the problem with giving that to Sumlin is that he's absolutely failed at repeating any kind of success in the SECW. His coaching hires have been unremarkable failures. Even the one good year we had the defense was horrible. And that year the whole O line was future NFL. So once again I ask the question what has he done? I don't give a rat's ass about overall record of 8 wins when every year half of those wins are against the weakest teams in the country. I care about SEC record. and sub .500 ain't cutting it. chronically finishing 4th and 5th in a division with only 7 teams is pathetic.Exactly how much worse can we be?
ClassOf17
This is AggieRojo's Wilson riddle
cbates85
TXM Pride said:

TommyDreamer said:

He tore it up on scout team when he redshirted. Both him and Johnny. By the time Summy got here he was already the WR we got to enjoy watching for 2 years. So I would say have to give that one to Sherman. There have been some guys who have developed under sumlins watch. As cbates pointed out Dae Dae added size and became a real player. What he failed to mention was that Daeshon was a highly rated 4*, something our newest commit isn't. (Not dogging the kid, just point out a flaw in "I live in premium" arguement).
He was not a highly rated 4 star and no, I don't have any flaws in my argument. This kid is bigger than Dae Dae was when he first got on campus. It's not debatable.
vander54
S
2thFixinAg said:

Tamu_mgm said:

TXM Pride said:

TommyDreamer said:

Wow some of you guys literally can't give credit to Sumlin for anything. I don't think you read what you put. So Mike Evans was already polished, ready to go and only developed under Sherman, but then basically plateaued for the 2 years Sumlin / Beaty were his coaches. Sherman had the guy for ONE year and he didn't even play that year, whether he tore up the scout team or not. Sumlin and Beaty helped take him to that next level for the 2 years they had him and he actually played.
Well the problem with giving that to Sumlin is that he's absolutely failed at repeating any kind of success in the SECW. His coaching hires have been unremarkable failures. Even the one good year we had the defense was horrible. And that year the whole O line was future NFL. So once again I ask the question what has he done? I don't give a rat's ass about overall record of 8 wins when every year half of those wins are against the weakest teams in the country. I care about SEC record. and sub .500 ain't cutting it. chronically finishing 4th and 5th in a division with only 7 teams is pathetic.Exactly how much worse can we be?

Really?

We could be a lot worse. That is one of the dumbest statements I have heard.

With that being said Sumlin better show significant progress this year or he may be out of a job.
FishingAggie
So everyone here knows the but it seems like it fits....

Johnny Freakin Football ( the guy who built our stadium) barely got an offer as a qb. He was headed to Oregon. 76...look up his old recruiting stars as a qb

One more. Ever heard of Drew Brees? Guy played qb at Purdue I think. No one offered him in Texas. We all missed that one.

There's many more... I'm not starting the stars don't mean s*** argument. I'm saying a good coach goes and gets good players to fit HIS system. RC did this on defense all the time. Chill out. If our coaches don't succeed then it's on them. They picked these kids.

It's funny. Before the interwebs recruiting wasn't talked about much until February lol. Now, we've lost our program in June to the whorns and ou already. We don't even play those azzwipes. Lol
Only in the zoo
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Well the problem with giving that to Sumlin is that he's absolutely failed at repeating any kind of success in the SECW.

Sumlin's problem has not been competing at a high level. That is gross exaggeration. People forget we were ranked in the BCS playoffs as late as November after beating most of our SEC West brethren to date. The real issue has been the breath-taking collapses that occur late in the season or the tendency for the team to vanish here and there and get blown out in Fran era proportions.

The Alabama game was not close at the end but we were hanging in their midway through the 3rd quarter. How you go from that to choking against a crap Ole Miss team and getting hammered by a mediocre LSU squad and a not very good Mississipi State squad that has everyone wondering what the heck is going on. We were in the fetal position come K-State time. The team seemed to have given up at that point.

TXM Pride
You're joking right. Daeshon Hall was a 4* recruit and the 15th best player at his position in the country in his class. Look it up.
cbates85
TXM Pride said:

You're joking right. Daeshon Hall was a 4* recruit and the 15th best player at his position in the country in his class. Look it up.
The fact of the matter is, this guy is bigger than Dae Dae was coming into school. It's not debatable.
Tamu_mgm
AG
TXM Pride said:

He's not saying Dae Dae wasn't a 4 star, he's just saying Dae Dae was really light when he first got on campus...and he's 100% right. We got Dae Dae on campus at about 205-210 lbs. soaking wet. Yes he was talented, but had a LOT of beef to put on
1876er
AG
Damontre Moore is the better comparison. If this guy is half as good as Moore, we got a huge steal.
FishingAggie
Let the coach who took a running back and put him at corner then in the NFL do his job and don't worry about this kid. I'm damn happy to have an athlete like this young man and could care less where he ends up in the field. Kid is super talented. God gives speed. Can't develop that.

Great get by our coaches. Those who think otherwise well, you should just not think.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Can't get excited about 3 star players. Settling for mediocrity will not win the SEC much less a NC.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Quote:

Kid is super talented
How many times have we heard this over the years and how many times has it worked out?
TXM Pride
In the post I replied to he literally said "no he was not a 4 star"... And if you go back and google him his listed weight is higher than our newest commit. Now, we all know those are about as accurate as the local weatherman. My point still stands that in comparison between the 2 guys, Daeshon was viewed much higher by recruiting "experts". That is all. This guy will be more o a project than Dae Dae ever was.
jickyjack1
TXM Pride said:

cbates85 said:

TXM Pride said:

Whyyyy in the world are we taking a project player at a position of need this early in the recruiting process?

Thank god you aren't a coach.

And why exactly is that?

I know nothing about this kid, and wasn't the one to call him a project. My concerns about taking anyone other than a can't miss prospect at this point is valid. Seems we're taking too many undersized guys, or guys we will look to mold once they get here. Honestly at DE I'd love to see us go the JUCO route and get guys physically ready to play as soon as they step on campus. You need grown men playing on both sides of the line to compete in the SEC.

To the point that the state is weak at DE this year.. then we need to take our asses to Louisiana because they sure as hell seem to be able to produce quality defenders. I'm tired of excuses. I want to see results on the field.

Well by God that's plain enough!

I'll see that Sumlin is made aware of your displeasure right away.

It would be a great help -- because I know he'll ask -- if you will sack up your thoughts and have them ready when he calls.

FishingAggie
S.A. Aggie said:

Can't get excited about 3 star players. Settling for mediocrity will not win the SEC much less a NC.

Yeah. Jff was the most mediocre player ever to attend
TAMU. Wait. He was a 3 Star.

Well then how about Mack? He was a stud in high school. Hasn't broken out just yet. In fairness, I think he'll be better this year but he was rated higher than 3 stars and wanted by everyone. Is it the kid or the stars causing this problem?

So you basically want only players who are 5 star studs??
Lol.

Sometimes you just don't know. You have to take a chance and develop a kid.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
The thing about this kid is hopefully he won't have to play as a true freshman like Dae Dae did and will have the chance to grow physically stronger before being thrown into battle.
S.A. Aggie
AG
FishingAggie said:

S.A. Aggie said:

Well then how about Mack? He was a stud in high school. Hasn't broken out just yet. In fairness, I think he'll be better this year but he was rated higher than 3 stars and wanted by everyone. Is it the kid or the stars causing this problem?

Lol.

And how many SEC championships have we won? Heck, how about SEC West titles? You have only two examples and neither one got us a west title. Until we can get solid 4' and 5's we will be mediocre and a footnote in an article or two. You are happy with getting 3 star playerS? I'll ask it again....where has it gotten us?
LihaiAg06
AG
Oh piss off you fart
FishingAggie
S.A. Aggie said:

FishingAggie said:

S.A. Aggie said:

Lol.

And how many SEC championships have we won? Heck, how about SEC West titles? You have only two examples and neither one got us a west title. Until we can get solid 4' and 5's we will be mediocre and a footnote in an article or two. You are happy with getting 3 star playerS? I'll ask it again....where has it gotten us?

Lol. Dude. You never played a down of football (unless it was soccer). Just go away.

It's over your head. We have a politics board. Go over there.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
S.A. Aggie said:

FishingAggie said:

S.A. Aggie said:

Lol.

Keep moving those goalposts little buddy.
Lungblood
Emilio Fantastico said:

The thing about this kid is hopefully he won't have to play as a true freshman like Dae Dae did and will have the chance to grow physically stronger before being thrown into battle.

This.

Can you imagine Hall after another year of development? I mean, he Still looks skinny. I think he's going to be a better NFL player for the $ than MG... For the $ you morans!
BombayAg
SA Aggie is right.

We should focus on 5 and 4 stars. Hard to go gaga over a 3 star but best of luck to him. And us.
Caesar4
AG
I'm pretty sure S.A. Aggie is miller58.
vander54
S
Someone needs to tell Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, and Clemson to stop recruiting 3 stars. Oh yeah don't forget to tell tu and OU as well.
cbates85
BombayAg said:

SA Aggie is right.

We should focus on 5 and 4 stars. Hard to go gaga over a 3 star but best of luck to him. And us.

No he's not. Brett Favre and Patrick Willis were 2 stars. Stars mean nothing.
BombayAg
cbates85 said:

BombayAg said:

SA Aggie is right.

Go check how many 5 stars Alabama has. They are winners.

Check how many Florida Atlantic has.
jickyjack1
So!

Ganging up on FlaAtl all of a sudden, hey?

Fizban
cbates85 said:

BombayAg said:

SA Aggie is right.

Stars are obviously not meaningless, that is just stupid.

On the other hand, there are numerous examples of lower rated players turning into standouts and even teams like Bama, who could fill a recruiting class entirely with 4-5 stars if that was their priority, take some 3-stars over many 4-stars.

Recruiting rankings are at best a very general estimate of a school's ability to bring in talent.
jickyjack1
I'm not sure about that "very", but I think you're on the right track.

In cases where a three star is preferred to a four star, one would think it is because the staff knows it's way around assessment.
BattleCattle
Quote:

Tyree is rated as the 1478th best player in the country
Battle Cattle is impressed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.