Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Old school restaurants in Bryan/College Station

119,952 Views | 309 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by aggie77
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I remember the old Taco Bell on Texas in Bryan with the "Aggie Drive Thru" (you had to pay through your passenger side window). That was funny, but a pain in the ass. It's now Fritella's.
Scotch
AG
I think the Black Forest Inn building is there still, but just a house now.
Picadillo
Mom's and Tom's were my diet staples way back then. Miss them both.
91AggieLawyer
AG
quote:
Does anyone remember 3-C BBQ in Culpepper Plaza?
Yep. Had a damn good burger I got coupons for on campus. I don't recall the amount, but I got one at least once a week.
Goose83
AG
quote:
Didn't the location on 21 have a different name though?

It was called the Red Bandana for awhile.
diehard81
AG
Class of 81 representing...Fish Richards' anyone? Rebel's (turned into Fajita Ritas) - was the bar manager there from 78-82. Stadium in Post Oak mall.
HECUBUS
AG
Fish Richard's Half Century House. Many a fine steak consumed there back in the day.
Aggie_Nuke
AG
Had many of the 5 for $1 meals at Der Weinerschnitzel !

Don't remember the name, but there was a Mexican food restaurant at the edge of Bryan, heading to Hearn it would have been on the right hand side, and was next to a trailer park. Great Mexican food !

Of course there was also the old "**** Hut". I was in Moore Hall, so it was a short walk across the street.

Forgot about Ralph's Pizza - My Chem Prof, Dr. Brooks (1969-1970), would buy the first round of beer and take questions for prep for exams. Pizza was okay.

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
Jock 07
AG
Fat burger has to have been around for a while
HECUBUS
AG
DSP, 45 min wait for a baked burger. One grad student and an oven.
Goose83
AG
quote:
Fat burger has to have been around for a while
The original Fat Burger, which was in the little detached strip center next to Skaggs (where the old Music Express and various tutoring places once were) across from campus dated back to the late 70's. The current Fat Burger in Bryan used to be a Zuider Zee restaurant way back in the late 60's/early 70's.
mosesrab90
AG
Casa Ole in the mall has been there since at least mid 80s - no clue when it opened
bowser222
S
Shannons
2HandsAndAMap
AG
quote:
quote:
didn't there used to be a place called Ken Martins's Steakhouse in Bryan?
is that still around?

Closed according to Yelp.

I grew up around the corner from it. It always seemed like the parking lot was never even half full except on Sundays. It rebranded as Ken Martin's Safari Grille, but didn't seem to change the number of patrons.

A little trivia... Fort Shiloh was owned by Ken Martin, and I guess they couldn't pay the inspectors enough to pass the kitchen there. I imagine Ken Martin's Steakhouse had some of the same issues.
spiffus
AG
Pretty sure it (Casa Ole) was there when La Salle was exploring the area.

Edited for clarity
Joeboo01
What da fook does this have to do with A&M football?
AggieLaw17
What are the new school restaurants in College Station worth trying out? I've only been to College Station a handful of times, but plan to visit more often this year. I'm a law school Ag. Hard to tell from my username.
Aggie
AG
quote:
Yes. The Flying Tomato. Went for a free sundae just about every night for a few months in 1989 using coupons clipped from the Batt.

I may be completely dreaming this but if I recall flying tomato brothers had a hot air balloon they would fly around campus and throw frisbee's out of.
milner79
quote:
quote:
This is her. Grew up in Bryan - ate there lots.

That is Mrs. Carlton. Her sister, Miss Ball would make the salad everyday sitting in her same folding metal chair.
Mrs. Carlton would oversee the kitchen and her main helper, Nell, then proceed to the front living room to collect $1.25 for breakfast, $1.50 for lunch, $1.75 for supper. This was in mid-70's.
Larruping.
ToddyHill
AG
Had some fun times as a waiter at Ft. Shiloh Steakhouse from 1978 through 1980. Back then, tuition/books/fees came to around $500 per semester, so it was pretty easy to pay your own way when you're making $30-$50/night in tips. It was owned by Ken Martin, who also owned Ken Martin's Steakhouse, Pepe Taco, and Peppers.

I worked at The Texan as well. Dumpy place but really great food. Probably the most memorable experience was waiting on Tex Schramm....who's daughter was attending A&M at the time.

Regarding the Grapevine....those twice baked potatoes were great.
Humorous Username
AG
quote:
Mom's was great, the Zarapes in College Station had great Tex-Mex, Youngblood's had the Best Fried Chicken any where, Werman's in Bryan had wonderful Chicken Fried Steak and the East Gate Lounge had the Coldest Beer and Best Homemade Chili!! All are gone now but it was a great area for good food in the early '60's. The food in Duncan was very good also!! Lots of great memories!!

The only time I went to Zarapes, I ordered nachos. The "nachos" they brought to me were a basket of chips with slices of Kraft singles melted (but not melted enough that you couldn't still see the angles denoting that they were, in fact, slices of Kraft cheese) on top.

Definitely a WTH moment.
Hey Nav
AG
Those pictures of Mom are great. Brings back some nice memories.

I'm trying to remember if the Luby's on Texas was there in the 70s - I know it closed a few years ago, but it seems like it was there forever.

A little trivia - the first Schlotzsky's outside of the Austin market was opened in '77 in an old gas station pretty close to the old Luby's, on the other side of Texas Ave. It was located somewhere around where the Appleby's is at now (would have to look at it in person to remember the exact location). The structure was still there until a few years ago.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
Shannon's Cafe on Highway 21 near the cemetery in Bryan has some of the best soul food ever.
Great fried chicken and pork chops, sweet potato casserole, peach cobbler...
I think in the mid-90's the lunch special was $5 per plate and $7.50 if you wanted an extra serving of meat.
It's in a sketchy neighborhood, but we would see BPD and BCSO for lunch there on a regular basis.
Goose83
AG
quote:

I'm trying to remember if the Luby's on Texas was there in the 70s - I know it closed a few years ago, but it seems like it was there forever.

A little trivia - the first Schlotzsky's outside of the Austin market was opened in '77 in an old gas station pretty close to the old Luby's, on the other side of Texas Ave. It was located somewhere around where the Appleby's is at now (would have to look at it in person to remember the exact location). The structure was still there until a few years ago.
Schlotzky's used to be in the old Dutch Kettle Restaurant building down near Hensel Park:

Cool old building, managed to survive up until about year ago when it got torn down for all the development along University and Texas.
aggiemike89
AG
quote:
steamin' greasy plate of enchiladas with lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad. I hear that you can get them at the LaSalle Hotel in old downtown with ice tea and a waitress who will smile every time
jja79
AG
quote:
Shannon's Cafe on Highway 21 near the cemetery in Bryan has some of the best soul food ever.
Great fried chicken and pork chops, sweet potato casserole, peach cobbler...
I think in the mid-90's the lunch special was $5 per plate and $7.50 if you wanted an extra serving of meat.
It's in a sketchy neighborhood, but we would see BPD and BCSO for lunch there on a regular basis.
That's one of my regular stops.
HECUBUS
AG
The Texan, ate there with the wife when in EE grad school, parents ate there when dad was in the college of veterinary medicine.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:

Yep, my roommate worked there. Circa '78-'79. And because she worked there and told horror stories, I seldom ate there.
The Collective
AG
What was the name of the Mexican restaurant that used to be out in front of HEB (right on the corner of Holleman/Texas)? Was that a Casa Ole as well? I don't think it is there anymore, but I can't remember looking in the last decade.
brotheraggie
HECUBUS
AG
Casa Thomas, called it Costa Toomuch, but hit their happy hour buffet a few times.
Brazos Born
Bullwinkles.
Whistle Jock
AG
quote:
There used to be a house in Bryan. They served family style dining. My buddies and I called the place "Mom's". That is all I ever heard the place called. We would have to wait in line (sometimes outside when the line was long) for space at a table to open up. You sat where ever there was room at a table even if you did not know the other people at your table. I always wondered if that place was still serving. It was open in my time from '79-'83. Damn good food!
We use to eat there on Sundays. It was fried chicken and mashed potatoes and peach cobbler. This was way back in 1961-62.
"They exchanged their lives in a hope for this future we now inhabit. Though the fight took place many years ago and even today, each of us remains as a living part of it."

Hey Nav
AG
quote:
Schlotzky's used to be in the old Dutch Kettle Restaurant building down near Hensel Park:
I don't know why I thought that was an old gas station.
OAB83
AG
quote:
There used to be a house in Bryan. They served family style dining. My buddies and I called the place "Mom's". That is all I ever heard the place called. We would have to wait in line (sometimes outside when the line was long) for space at a table to open up. You sat where ever there was room at a table even if you did not know the other people at your table. I always wondered if that place was still serving. It was open in my time from '79-'83. Damn good food!
Mom's. Great place. Seemed like it was always a mixture of cadets and roughnecks. I also miss Youngblood's.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.