Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Old school restaurants in Bryan/College Station

120,207 Views | 309 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by aggie77
rhart
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who could forget "The Aggie Special" at Youngblood's.. How about Sparky's Pizza?
Redarmynick
Taking a shot here on an old thread but back in the early 90s there was a "fancier" Mexican restaurants just outside of College Station. I remember driving away from campus and past 6 and then turning right onto a smaller road. I recall that it may have had a pretty cool patio and lights outside. I proposed to my wife there and neither of us can remember the place. Let me know if anyone knows.
Lateralus Ag
AG
It was joses. It was on the site where Koppe Bridge is now on hwy 30. There was a fire and the building was burned down. That's when Joses moved to Texas Avenue.

On a side note, Jose Montemayor, owner and founder of Joses, passed not too long ago.
Aggie_95
AG
JT88
AG
Will someone PLEASE rebuild/reincarnate Fort Shiloh?

That chicken fried steak and those rolls.

Every Wednesday with the coupon from the Batt.
Josey Wales: Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb mad dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.
amercer
AG
This makes me feel pretty old, but the freebirds on northgate must be approaching 30....
war hymn aggie
AG
In CS, IHOP is the oldest restaurant still in operation. It opened in the early 70's.

In Bryan, Martin's is the oldest restaurant still in operation, opening in 1924.
bwmammoth
AG
Cow Hop
Tom's
Flying Tomato
Ft Shiloh
Fajita Rita's
Swenson's
FCBlitz
quote:
quote:
La Taqueria

second that. I must ate at Taq 7-10 a week. No joke.

Fast food Chinese was a regular stop for me.
AusAg32
AG
Is Fat Burger old school enough?
Summerville Steakhouse was always worth the drive.
Goose
AG
quote:
This makes me feel pretty old, but the freebirds on northgate must be approaching 30....

Opened in 91 I think, so yeah.
quackshackAg
AG
you guys had money to eat out?!

My first eating out in CS was at the old McDonald's next to Albertson's. I was broke.
jja79
AG
No kidding. I was here in the 70's and remember those places but I didn't know anyone who could afford to eat out.
TexAgs1998
AG
Most are closed..........

Norteno's
Mi Cocina (in Bryan)
Tom's BBQ (served on butcher paper)
Fat Burger
Hubert Cajuns (shack in between Zachry and fat burger)
Laynes
Wings N More
Free Birds
Double Daves (Pizza Rolls and tour the world beer)
Summerville Steak House
TexAgs1998
AG
Surprised no body had mentioned Hubert's Cajun........my favorite......
OptionRead
AG
HEBERT'S....... Don't believe it is around anymore.
Moto Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
This is her. Grew up in Bryan - ate there lots.

That is Mrs. Carlton. Her sister, Miss Ball would make the salad everyday sitting in her same folding metal chair.
Mrs. Carlton would oversee the kitchen and her main helper, Nell, then proceed to the front living room to collect $1.25 for breakfast, $1.50 for lunch, $1.75 for supper. This was in mid-70's.

By the time I started eating there, Mrs. Carlton had trouble seeing whether the bill you just handed her was a single or a $20, so you had to tell her; still kind of an "honor system". I introduced a buddy of mine to Mom's for one visit, and we had only been there about five minutes when Nell came out of the kitchen with a fly-swatter. She started slamming it down within inches of our hands, rattling every glass of water on the table, trying to "kill those pesky things". I thought my buddy was going to split his sides from laughing.
Bullmoose
AG
quote:
My first eating out in CS was at the old McDonald's next to Albertson's. I was broke
Ate breakfast there the 1st day of class for the fall semester of 75.
BoozerRed78
AG
I think Ken Martin's & Chicken Oil are the only two from the 70's that are still around.

I seem to recall that Fort Shiloh was a Ken Martin owned establishment. It was built while I was a student. I don't think they served alcohol - perhaps that contributed to its fate.
Burrus86
AG
Kettle....many a late night spent there after stack or late night study sessions.
Franz Joseph
My first off campus meal was the **** Hut my first day at A&M (on Sun PM, since the on campus places were closed.)
Post removed:
by user
AustinCountyAg
It's Somerville not Summerville.

Tramp78
AG
I was there from 1978-82

Peppers
DSP
Danvers
Youngbloods
Tinsley's
Farmer's Market sandwich shop
I recall a Mr. Gatti's Pizza with little stalls you could sit in with curtains over the door. Fun stuff there.
Ft. Shiloh
Pelican's Wharf
Stone44
AG
Moms was one dollar in the early 70's. Ralph's pizza was pretty good and they delivered on campus. A&W root beer had a place on hwy.6, that was okay . The Texan Restaurant was great and would have been successful in Dallas or Houston.
aggiedent
AG
1980-84

Of course I remember places like Fort Shiloh, Pelican's Wharf, Toms, CowHop, and Swensens.

Took a lot of dates to Interurban.

Anybody remember Chanellos Pizza? Not very good as pizza goes. They had a 30 minutes or it's free motto. My virtually broke roommate and I found that if you called them the second they opened on Sunday, they never got the pizza to our room in time and we ate free. Did that for about 6 weeks before they caught on and refused to take orders until the oven was up to temperature.

Also, anybody remember the cheap fast food mexican restaurant on University that use to be a gas station? West of business 6, on the north side of the street.
Gilbert McGee
AG
How long was the dirty sock around?

They had the best tuna fish specials in town.
Magneto
AG
Red Bandana - remember those commercials....showed some cook with nasty hands choppin meat

Cow Hop - folks poured beer in the ketchup

What was that diner in north gate that served a helluva breakfast?
Larry S Ross
AG
Homer Norton had a restaurant on Texas across from the golf course. Saber inn had decent food. Does any one remember Shipleys donuts on college having a restaurant area back in early 70s? Seems like we use to eat hamburgers there some times
Aggie
AG
Pelicans wharf
Bombay bicycle club
Garcia's
Original country inn in Somerville
Wings N Things
Mamas pizza
Swensons
Bennigans
Fort Shiloh
Pops
Sneakers
Casa Tomas
Grandy's
agnatgas
AG
Midieval Inn? Between BCS and Huntsville.
AgBQ80
AG
Yes, Shipley's at its original location on College near where the Texan used to be did indeed serve burgers, etc. Used to stop and eat a great party melt quite often after playing golf at Bryan Muni while still in high school in the mid 70's. Good stuff there .

Also, I saw someone finally mention Mr. Gatti's. It was the first thick crust pizza I remember in this town. Had the private booths someone mentioned earlier. Also had live entertainment on most weekends in the 70's and early 80's. Usually a one man band so to speak. Some guy named Lyle Lovett played there quite often in the mid and late 70's . He spoke about it when he was here last year for an OPAS event.
TyHolden
AG
2 Pesos
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
quote:
Some guy named Lyle Lovett

What ever happened to that guy? Liberal Arts major. Probably a Time Life operator standing by for your phone call. He was always hanging out at Reed McDonald in the Journalism department.

You always saw the little pieces of paper taped to walls, light poles, etc advertising he was performing free at the Basement Coffee house in the MSC.

Hope he turned out OK.Seemed to be a nice guy.

terata
AG
Closed now. Sambos

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.