Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Sherman's OL about gone

19,149 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Magpie
Mostly Peaceful
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
The fact that someone just said Sherman's 3rd and 4th year teams could beat the **** out of sumlins 3rd and 4th year teams, and tons of people blue starred it has to mean this thread is some kind of Sherman family reunion right? Good god
The 2010 team definitely would. Our offense wouldn't sniff the endzone against them. The 2011 team would get a big lead, just like they did against multiple top 10 teams. I highly doubt this years team could keep up.

2011 and 2015 were both bad seasons, but for completely different reasons. Both years we could have easily been 11-1. Outside of ou in 2011, every loss came down to getting one more stop, or one more score. And in most of those, it took a collapse to make it that close. That wasn't the case this year, we had some shameful offensive perfomances. Give Chavis to the 2011 team and they would have been special. They were close. This team is not.
Hoss
AG
quote:
He was better at evaluating, recruiting and developing EVERY offensive position, not just OL. Sumlin and McKinney have done a terrible job at RB recruiting, and WR development is not close either. Look at Swope or EZ in their 2nd years, better than what we have now - though some of that is scheme related also. Evans played HS ball in Galveston, Sumlin didn't recruit him to UH, but Sherman knew what he could be.

I think that is a big problem right now, too much recruiting based on who dominates in HS, which is fine for Mack/Kirk/Garrett, but not for OL and RBs and WRs. That is how a spread team ends up with just 3 good WR and no RBs and a bad OL. As they weren't recruited based on what they could be developed into, IMHO.

Sherman never got enough depth on D but he built the 2012 defense with 3* recruits, and didn't get a good DC early on though Deruyter was a good get.

He inherited a trash pile with a screwed up roster but worked his a** of for us and built something, and the RC Slocum nutrition center, football performance center/weight room, and Bright expansion (though not in swag mode) were all his ideas.

EVERY starting OL on the 2012 team plays in the NFL, that is unheard of, much less 3 first round picks.

His 3rd and 4th year teams would beat the s*** out of Sumlins 3rd and 4th year teams.

I do think Sumlin is a better fit for college and recruits well at least on paper, player development and scheme are lacking.

I don't necessarily think Sherman was our guy, THE guy, not our Stoops or Saban or Meyer, but be damned sure was the right guy at the right time.

Although I don't think he should have been let go, I understand it. But the way it happened and the way he found out was totally and completely SHAMEFUL and DISGRACEFUL for our program. And yet Mike was man enough to stop walk into Matt Davis's (?) living room and close the deal to convince him and his parents that A&M was the best place for him.

His post-mortem presser, which is unusual and he didn't have to do, was epic and the mark of a good man. His graduation speech in the summer of 2011 was great.

We will never have a better man and leader of young men as our coach.

And he sure as s*** wouldn't have hired a 29 year old kid who had never been an OC and called plays to be an OC in the SEC, 3 years removed from being a graduate assistant!

Okay, I'm convinced. Bring back Mike Sherman!!
TxAg76
AG
quote:
I agree with most of that, but there was no excuse to lose to tu in 2011.

OU lost to t.u. this year. No excuse for that either. Rivalry game, chit happens, not to mention one of the worst helmet to helmet calls I've ever seen at the end to give t.u. a 1st down
The Collective
AG
The line was good in 2012, no doubt, but teams were not trying to get Johnny outside of the pocket...
chipotle
quote:
His 3rd and 4th year teams would beat the s*** out of Sumlins 3rd and 4th year teams.

ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:
You guys are just trying to changing history. Other than the OL Sherman was a horrible hire. In 4 years he had 1 winning season! Sherman lost to Arkansas st, and a 4 win Baylor team that first year. He went 6-6 his last year and that was with a first round NFL QB. Also if he knew Evans was going to be good why was he redshirted so he only played 2 years before going to the NFL.

2008 Arkansas St (4-3 Sunbelt / 6-6)

Because everyone remembers what a STUD Fuller was that year and how nobody EVER dropped passes. Our receivers, outside of Swope, were horrible in 2011.

Because a lot of our receivers underperformed in 2011 and because Evans has been mostly a basketball player when he got here. He projected well, but he didn't have a lot of experience. He was good because he red shirted. Frank Iheanacho is about as close as you can get to Mike Evans on this team now, and where is he?
Cannonball!
AG
Solution to all our woes?

Sumlin, CEO Head Coach for recruiting
Sleepy Sherm, OL coach and Co-Offensive Coordinator
KK, QB coach and Co-offensive Coordinator, all play calling
Chief, Defense

Silent For Too Long
quote:
quote:
The fact that someone just said Sherman's 3rd and 4th year teams could beat the **** out of sumlins 3rd and 4th year teams, and tons of people blue starred it has to mean this thread is some kind of Sherman family reunion right? Good god
The 2010 team definitely would. Our offense wouldn't sniff the endzone against them. The 2011 team would get a big lead, just like they did against multiple top 10 teams. I highly doubt this years team could keep up.

2011 and 2015 were both bad seasons, but for completely different reasons. Both years we could have easily been 11-1. Outside of ou in 2011, every loss came down to getting one more stop, or one more score. And in most of those, it took a collapse to make it that close. That wasn't the case this year, we had some shameful offensive perfomances. Give Chavis to the 2011 team and they would have been special. They were close. This team is not.

You don't think the fact that the 2011 team didn't face a defense with a pulse all year had anything to do with that?

I don't know how to break this to you, but the Big 12 hasn't had a legitimate defense in it's midst in about 6 years.
Jack Cheese
AG
Great post, Jay. Perfect summation. Sherman may not have been "THE GUY" but he was the right guy at the right time. There are so many idiots on this board who give him no credit, claim that Fran was the same or better with no appreciation for the utter demoralized shambles Fran left the program in. I get sick of it, and it is great to see an eloquent defense of Mike ****ing Sherman.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:

The difference between winning in 2010 and 2011 was Von Miller. The difference between winning in 2011 and 2012 was Damontre Moore stepping up.
The Collective
AG
quote:
There are so many idiots on this board who give him no credit, claim that Fran was the same or better with no appreciation for the utter demoralized shambles Fran left the program in. I get sick of it, and it is great to see an eloquent defense of Mike ****ing Sherman.

There are more idiots obsessed with propping up a failed coaching tenure after the fact, but hey, he was a good guy, so let's sing his ****ing praises.
Sbisa04
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

The difference between winning in 2010 and 2011 was Von Miller. The difference between winning in 2011 and 2012 was Damontre Moore stepping up.
and maybe a little bit due to Johnny Football?
yO daDDie
AG
quote:
quote:
He was better at evaluating, recruiting and developing EVERY offensive position, not just OL. Sumlin and McKinney have done a terrible job at RB recruiting, and WR development is not close either. Look at Swope or EZ in their 2nd years, better than what we have now - though some of that is scheme related also. Evans played HS ball in Galveston, Sumlin didn't recruit him to UH, but Sherman knew what he could be.

I think that is a big problem right now, too much recruiting based on who dominates in HS, which is fine for Mack/Kirk/Garrett, but not for OL and RBs and WRs. That is how a spread team ends up with just 3 good WR and no RBs and a bad OL. As they weren't recruited based on what they could be developed into, IMHO.

Sherman never got enough depth on D but he built the 2012 defense with 3* recruits, and didn't get a good DC early on though Deruyter was a good get.

He inherited a trash pile with a screwed up roster but worked his a** of for us and built something, and the RC Slocum nutrition center, football performance center/weight room, and Bright expansion (though not in swag mode) were all his ideas.

EVERY starting OL on the 2012 team plays in the NFL, that is unheard of, much less 3 first round picks.

I do think Sumlin is a better fit for college and recruits well at least on paper, player development and scheme are lacking.

I don't necessarily think Sherman was our guy, THE guy, not our Stoops or Saban or Meyer, but be damned sure was the right guy at the right time.

Although I don't think he should have been let go, I understand it. But the way it happened and the way he found out was totally and completely SHAMEFUL and DISGRACEFUL for our program. And yet Mike was man enough to stop walk into Matt Davis's (?) living room and close the deal to convince him and his parents that A&M was the best place for him.

His post-mortem presser, which is unusual and he didn't have to do, was epic and the mark of a good man. His graduation speech in the summer of 2011 was great.

And he sure as s*** wouldn't have hired a 29 year old kid who had never been an OC and called plays to be an OC in the SEC, 3 years removed from being a graduate assistant!
You're really going to sit there and act like Sherman was some coaching genius? He likely never would have hired a young unproven OC to lead his team but HE was just as predictable and lazy at playcalling as Spav. In year 4 he and Deruyter's over complicated scheme destroyed us along with the conditioning. He could evaluate talent and get great guys in the rough and then he would waste them behind his guys until he had no choice but to play them. At this point does anyone really think he did us a favor by starting Tanny at receiver instead of QB? He was and still is 10 times the QB that Jerrod was at his peak but he was too stubborn to go around seniority. His legacy, in my opinion, will forever be the oline and a handful of underrated players that he left Sumlin to develop. Johnny was never going to play for us with Sherman starting that bum Showers and we have no idea how Mike would have turned out under him. I would never want the man back outside of on the Oline or as a recruiter.
JJay has some hard on revisionist hate going on for Sumlin which skews his narrative and he rants about it. He conveniently misses the complete wiff on defenses, which was literally NEVER addressed in 4 years under Sherman. Yeah, he could get a lead in a game, and had NO concept of closing out a game...because in the NFL, you get a lead and what? play defense!! Which he never fielded...in 4 years.

Predictable? Wow. That's funny. Sherman was a scripted coach unlike KK...but when you revise history it's important to leave out the warts.

JJay, also conveniently overlooks the changes in player eval from '12 to 15.

Sherman's left an empty roster on D...so what? Well, there is a small difference between the BDF (which he couldn't play D in) and the SEC...Hows that A&M SEC D looking now...after the cupboard was EMPTY for three years AFTER Sherman.

He also absolutely never give Sumlin credit for landing Chief...who happened to be available for Sherman as well...he just wasn't the staff builder on that side of the ball...

And it showed up on the field with those collapses and missed opportunity in '11.

Good stuff!!

Silent For Too Long
quote:

JJay has some hard on revisionist hate going on for Sumlin which skews his narrative and he rants about it. He conveniently misses the complete wiff on defenses, which was literally NEVER addressed in 4 years un Sherman. Yeah, he could get a lead in a game, and had NO concept of closing out a game...because in the NFL, you get a lead and what? play defense!! Which he never fielded...in 4 years.

JJay, also conveniently overlooks the changes in eval from '12 to 15.

He also absolutely never give Sumlin credit for landing Chief...who happened to be available for Sherman as well...he just wasn't the staff builder on that side of the ball...

And it showed up on the field with those collapses and missed opportunity in '11.

Good stuff!!
This.

For as much credit he deserves for building the offensive talent back up, his defensive recruiting was completely atrocious.
average_joker
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
You guys are just trying to changing history. Other than the OL Sherman was a horrible hire. In 4 years he had 1 winning season! Sherman lost to Arkansas st, and a 4 win Baylor team that first year. He went 6-6 his last year and that was with a first round NFL QB. Also if he knew Evans was going to be good why was he redshirted so he only played 2 years before going to the NFL.

Because everyone remembers what a STUD Fuller was that year and how nobody EVER dropped passes. Our receivers, outside of Swope, were horrible in 2011.

Because a lot of our receivers underperformed in 2011 and because Evans has been mostly a baseball player when he got here. He projected well, but he didn't have a lot of experience. He was good because he red shirted. Frank Iheanacho is about as close as you can get to Mike Evans on this team now, and where is he?
Uh, Evans was a basketball player...
Traveler
AG
quote:

Exactly. The level of self-delusion and false outrage is amazing.
average_joker
AG
quote:
Agree with Jay 100%

To add to that, Sherm coached during arguably the best/toughest years of the Big 12, 2007-2010. Out recruiting was terrible thanks to Fran's tenure and the 'sips National Championship.

I believe we underestimated how well Sherman recognized raw talent and potential for the pros when we hired Sumlin. He developed the no. 1 O-line that gave JFF 8 seconds to throw/run the ball and produced 5 consecutive 1st rounders. He also had the foresight to covert Tannehill to our best WR and back to QB, create the Joker for Von Miller, and give a b-ball player named Mike Evans the shot to be one of the most dominant SE in the SEC.

Some of our recent woes have been because we can't develop our receivers, lineman, etc. The most frustrating thing with Sherm was that he couldn't finish the big games, even after leading by double digits.
Uh, Tannehill was recruited as a QB and played WR because he was too good to sit the bench...
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Because a lot of our receivers underperformed in 2011 and because Evans has been mostly a baseball player when he got here. He projected well, but he didn't have a lot of experience. He was good because he red shirted. Frank Iheanacho is about as close as you can get to Mike Evans on this team now, and where is he?
Uh, Evans was a basketball player...
Damn autocorrect. That's what I get for posting from mobile and using Swype...
Ag_EE
AG
quote:
Is anyone ever going to post tits again?

AG
Eggscellent....

/creepymexicandudegif
beerad12man
AG
quote:

I don't mean to play the role of contrarian, because this is a great post and everyone seems to be eating it up, but there's some hyperbole and revisionist history in this one.

In year 4, Shermans teams didn't appear to develop that well, either. It wasn't until what would have been his 5th year that everything came together. we were miserable on the field for years 1, 2, half of year 3, and half of year 4. Next year is Sumlins 5th year, so what happens if our offense is really good again? Along with only this time having a better defense to go along with it?

I'm not so sure it's so much WR development as it is scheme. Our problem isn't based on who dominates in high school. Big time programs who win a lot more than Sherman ever did wanted most of the guys on our offense. You don't stop recruiting the most talented players just because you had some success with a couple of three stars in Manziel and Evans.

I'm a firm believer that while Sherman didn't inherit a great roster, he certainly took it down even further than it was. That was not a 4-8, 6-7 type rebuild job. It was probably a 6-6, 8-4 type rebuild job with a better coach.

I also don't agree that his 3rd and 4th year teams would be the s*** out of Sumlins 3rd and 4th year teams. talk about revisionist history. The same 3rd and 4th year teams that went 15-10 in the big 12? I get that everyone is down on Sumlin right now, I am too, but we don't need to make s*** up.

Also saying we will never have a better man and leader of young men? Well maybe we won't have one better, but from everything I've heard Sumlin is a good man too. They obviously have different styles, but it doesn't make one better than the other.
beerad12man
AG
quote:
quote:

The same 2010 team that got their ass kicked by an SEC team in the bowl game and lost to both SEC teams they faced that year? Or the one that lost three straight games including a blowout at home to a decent but not great Missouri team? Or the one that needed 3 fourth quarter touchdowns to come back against Florida International at home? Or was it because we beat Nebraska that year, who promptly turned around and lost to a 7-6 Washington team in the bowl?

In the end, that 2011 team still lost 6 times in the big 12. This team only lost 4 in the sec.

Man you guys have some amazing revisionist history.
chipotle
Oh, let's compare sleepy and lil debbie....again:

Average recruiting ranking
Fran: 20.6
Mike: 23.25

NFL Draft picks (during their tenure, but when shifted is about the same)
Fran: 11
MIke: 7

Record against OU, oSu, utAustin, tech, baylor, Mizz.
Fran: 0.440
Mike: 0.400

2TD loss plus Blowouts per year
Fran: 3.4
Mike: 3.5

VS Ranked Team Win Percentage:
Fran: 0.217
Mike: 0.211

Total Win Percentage
Fran: 0.525
Mike: 0.510

Yeah, mr. 500 left us some well developed players for Sumlin but that wasn't his purpose here. His purpose was to win games. If he was a 10-15 tenured a&m coach then maybe his concern should have been getting things ready for the next guy but for being here 3-4 years? No way. Plus he was left with more than enough to beat a crappy 6-6 sun belt team at home. Sorry but sleepy failed here. You lose. Good day sir.

***Fun fact: Sherman was 0-5 vs the SEC while at A&M
William Munny
I guess we'll see after we play Tech in the Texas Bowl how good our guys would have been in the Big XII. I hope we beat the crap out of them.
John Maplethorpe
AG
quote:
Are we talking about KK or Spav here? Cause Kliff worked out pretty good.
superunknown
AG
ahh, the regular paean to St. Sherman the .500

1 A Psalm of Sleepy. The Sherm is my shepherd; I shall not win. 2 He makes me to lie down in second halves; He leads me beside the warm recliners. 3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your 3rd and 10, they comfort me. 5 You prepare an overtime loss before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Sherm Forever

From the Book of Sleepy. As true today as when it was written.
chipotle
I think 2012 was a real eye opener to many as to how well our players were and most credited that to sherman. But I take it a step further and realized how bad a game day coach he was to have that good a roster and still do next to nothing with it. And then I look at sumlin with all that ammo and have him miss the mark the next few years. Wow, I'm in a glass case of emotion.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
quote:

Dude. Von Miller against our OL. There wouldn't be a quarterback controversy after that game because all 3 of our QBs would be dead.
chipotle
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dude. Von Miller against our OL. There wouldn't be a quarterback controversy after that game because all 3 of our QBs would be dead.

They seem to be ok in practice with myles.
Deputy Travis Junior
Isn't it two hand touch=down for QBs in practice?

I honestly don't know how our offense gets anything done in practice going up against Myles. They've struggled with much worse pass rushers in games.
Mostly Peaceful
quote:
quote:
quote:

The same 2010 team that got their ass kicked by an SEC team in the bowl game and lost to both SEC teams they faced that year? Or the one that lost three straight games including a blowout at home to a decent but not great Missouri team? Or the one that needed 3 fourth quarter touchdowns to come back against Florida International at home? Or was it because we beat Nebraska that year, who promptly turned around and lost to a 7-6 Washington team in the bowl?

In the end, that 2011 team still lost 6 times in the big 12. This team only lost 4 in the sec.

Man you guys have some amazing revisionist history.
Yep, that same 2010 team. All those things you said, plus a win over an ou team that finished #6, which you conveniently left out. A team that really struggled early, but greatly improved as the year went on. And this was a team in year 3 of a COMPLETE rebuild.

Yes, we went 6-6 in 2011. That was really bad, and Sherman deserved to get fired for it. But that team was close. 2 of those losses were to teams who finished in the top 5. 2 others finished in the top #15. We also beat a team that finished #12/13. And 5 of those losses were by a combined 17 points. Our two closest losses combined this year total 28 points. We've lost by over 17 twice.

I'm not suggesting that Sherman would have us in the top 10 now. But he did a fine job of rebuilding a devastated roster. And his years 3 and 4 are better than Sumlins. Revisionist history not required.
Ol Tw11ve
AG
Fill in the blanks-
We need is someone LIKE:
OC with creativity and pace like Kliff
OL coach like Sherman
QB coach __________
WR coach __________
(I am blanking on any stand out Aggie coaches for the last two)

Damn.... we suck.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
Fill in the blanks-
We need is someone LIKE:
OC with creativity and pace like Kliff
OL coach like Sherman
QB coach __________
WR coach __________
(I am blanking on any stand out Aggie coaches for the last two)

Damn.... we suck.

Paging Jim Turner! Best damn OL coach we've ever had.

beerad, I generally like your posts, but are you trying to argue lil Debbie out recruited Sherm? Sherman by a mile - compare 1st round draft picks. I'm not defending his playcalling or win loss record, but there was no question he had an eye for talent AND could develop it.
Deputy Travis Junior
I don't get the love.

Sherman's defensive recruiting was a complete disaster. He got lucky with a few guys that peaked as seniors in 2012. But there was zero depth or next-guy-up depth chart continuity, as we saw in 2013 after the 6-7 talented seniors had graduated. We were left with a truly wretched defense.

His playcalling was awful.

He has to be one of the worst motivators/emotion managers in the history of the game.

He presided over one of the most emotionally crushing losses in the history of Texas A&M Football (2011 Texas) because he was so damn stubborn about balance. Seriously, call run-run-run-punt every possession in the 2nd half and we probably win that game. Texas' offense was that awful.

So yea. I get pining for his OL, but that's about it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.