Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Aggie War Hymn & the history of how it came to be

138,407 Views | 381 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rootube
Helms96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Clusterf*** we need some luck, clusterf*** we need some luck, Goodbye to texas university"

Has a good ring to it
Firearms and LTC Instructor
12thGun.com
Jarhead
CO of P-2 Class of ‘96
sarancher
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
My assumption:
There are so many other words that essentially mean the same thing - e.g., hubbub, brouhaha, (two other words you don't often hear these days), ruckus, bedlam, furor, mayhem, pandemonium, commotion, clamor, etc... So, I'd bet this slang term would have eventually ceased to be used altogether and completely replaced by more modern/less elegant slang terms ("clusterf***"?) if it hadn't been included in our the Aggie War Hymn.

Damn, I'm old. I use those words quite often, actually. Also use fustercluck on occasion.
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
quote:
My assumption:
There are so many other words that essentially mean the same thing - e.g., hubbub, brouhaha, (two other words you don't often hear these days), ruckus, bedlam, furor, mayhem, pandemonium, commotion, clamor, etc... So, I'd bet this slang term would have eventually ceased to be used altogether and completely replaced by more modern/less elegant slang terms ("clusterf***"?) if it hadn't been included in our the Aggie War Hymn.
Damn, I'm old. I use those words quite often, actually. Also use fustercluck on occasion.
You're not old--you're just articulate. I use those words too.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Awesome. Story of greatness!

But count me in the camp that thinks we should sing both verses, makes so much more sense now as well that we are in a different (and much better) league.

Thanks for sharing!
Longhorn Doc
It's an indication of the obsession with UT that he would write songs, about UT, in the middle of a war.

But, seriously, it was a wonderful story about a hero of the war and even I enjoyed it. I know you are proud.
My own grandfather, a UT grad, was a Marine Major in that war and lost a leg in a battle.

But I have to ask - how in the world did you accumulate so much detail about your grandfather? Did he relate this to someone who chronicled it? If it was you, I must have missed it.
Longhorn Doc
Also, I was wondering - does the aggie band still march to the football stadium? I think I was a soph when I first visited Kyle field. My date and I got there early and we heard the band playing from way off, getting louder and louder. when it finally entered the field playing Hullbaloo even I was impressed. All the aggies around me were crying and boohooing - they loved it.
But I admit the aggie band has always impressed me and on that day they were the only aggie group that WAS impressive. The UT wishbone was unstoppable back then.
Chickenhawk
"Back then".... 2 words the sips will be saying a lot.
war hymn aggie
AG
Longhorn Doc,

In the late 70's, my grandfather relayed his story to a friend who chronicled it.

A lot of what I wrote came from those notes.

MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Also, I was wondering - does the aggie band still march to the football stadium? I think I was a soph when I first visited Kyle field. My date and I got there early and we heard the band playing from way off, getting louder and louder. when it finally entered the field playing Hullbaloo even I was impressed. All the aggies around me were crying and boohooing - they loved it.
But I admit the aggie band has always impressed me and on that day they were the only aggie group that WAS impressive. The UT wishbone was unstoppable back then.
Yes, the Aggie Band still marches to the stadium. And yes, it's still damn impressive.
Longhorn Doc
When I was a boy, growing up in Austin, I used to love watching the band and the Corps marching down Congress avenue. That was something to see.
You know those kids drilled their guts out to perform at halftime with that kind of precision.

But I have to tell you a little story. At halftime, of the last game of the rivalry, a friend who was a coach back then, said the Longhorns were mentally beaten at halftime and the coaches were frantic trying to find a way to fire them up. Word came down about the aggie band performing the "saw 'em off" display and the players became enraged. They were smashing lockers and throwing chairs and came out the second half with blood in their eyes. The rest is history.
So, in essence, you could say your band cost you that game.
Maybe, maybe not.
AggieLit
So how did the music to the War Hymn end up being the tune to "Goodbye My Coney Island Baby"? The story doesn't mention the tune, but it sounds too similar to be a coincidence. Although Coney Island was apparently written afterwards, so the War Hymn must have circulated pretty quickly around the country, unless there was an earlier tune they were both based on?
The Collective
AG
The band must have pissed off damn near every opponent at the half that year.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Coney Island baby

https://musescore.com/user/27145/scores/44438#
FairwayAg
AG
Thanks for sharing! The war hymn will never be the same for me. After finishing the story I had to listen to the war hymn. Each line took me to it's place in the story.
ABATTBQ87
AG
From the 1906 yearbook te Longhorn:

Jaydoug
AG
quote:
HIKI! HIKI!
Yell Practice
gigem70
AG
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. Threads concerning A&M history and old photos are the best thing on texags.

This is golden.
RGLAG85
AG
Incredible thread and truly an honor to read! Thank you for sharing this with us. I will never sing the War Hymn the same again.
McJulie-O
AG
A great way to re-visit a grand icon of Texas A&M.... Thank you!
Optimistic Aggie
AG
Love this! So proud to be an Aggie!
txsportsman10
AG
Aw crap ... Woke up at the wrong time and read the wrong article.

Next is kylefield.com, etc.

Make a movie plz
The Original AG 76
AG
Did anyone notice that great little song on the old 1906 yearbook picture ?

What a great find !

It's to the tune of TAPS

RAISE A PURSE
Get a nurse
To take em out of the game
Or make it worse
Have them hauled from the field
In a hearse...

LOVE IT !!!
rb94rb
cap-n-jack
Great story. Great thread. I am so late to this party but glad I made it.
firethewagonup
The Agly Duckling
Incredible thread.
Aggiesson
Hill Country Ag
AG
War Hymn:
Thank you for this story! It is so wonderful to be an Aggie and learning how some of our most precious traditions were formed.

My grandfather served in WWI with State of Arkansas. I've just recently came into pictures of him in uniform. He died prior to my arrival due to complications from mustard gas. Some follow-ups of real interest to me:

- Do you know what ship your grandfather took overseas (USS Leviathan by chance?)

- Do you know if your grandfather was hurt by gas exposure? So many were, and I'm wondering if/how he got by without being hurt as he was so close to the action.

- You have some awesome details about what your grandfather experienced. I understand WWI was last war where our men in uniform served in outfits formed by their State of residence. Do you know any resource(s) to learn where these units (by State) were stationed and fought? I'd like to learn more about what my grandfather experienced.

Gig 'Em Sir!!

war hymn aggie
AG
Hill Country Ag,

1. Not exactly sure about which ship carried my grandfather to Europe. I know that he was on the USS DeKalb from Philly to New York on 10/16/17 & left New York to St. Nazaire, France on 10/18/17. They were at sea for 14 days.

2. My grandfather was exposed to mustard gas, as were many other of the Allied forces. He had a couple of his mule teams die from exposure, but the gas masks likely saved his & many other lives.

3. Not sure what ship he sailed back to USA on. I'll check my photos & see if it's noted on the back of the one he was photographed on as he was sailing back home. He arrived @ New York Harbor in early August of 1919.
CBattBQ87
AG
Hill Country

My Grandfather served in WWI with the 36th Division (Texas and Oklahoma). My brother found some information about their WWI service at Camp Mabry, in Austin. They may not have any information about your Grandfather's unit, but they may be able to point you in the right direction. You could also check with the Arkansas National Guard historical museum people. They might be able to help.
Hill Country Ag
AG
Thanks War Hymn & CBattBQ!
SECTAMU#1
War Hymn Aggie - thanks for sharing this with us!
CBattBQ87
AG
Let us know what you find out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.