Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Aggie War Hymn & the history of how it came to be

138,494 Views | 381 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rootube
war hymn aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OleAg65,

You are thinking about another Pinky by the name of Pinky Downs.
Many have confused the 2 over the years.
lead
great thread.

I'm trying to get this straight...it appears "hullaballoo..caneck, caneck" was an aggie yell prior to Pinky writing the song?
Oak Forest Ag
AG
Scott, really great storytelling here! I appreciate the time and effort to share your grandfather's story.
Bird93
AG
Well done, War Hymn! I sincerely appreciate you sharing. Gig'em, and BTHO t.u.
war hymn aggie
AG
The words were written, but the notes were still in Pinky's head. It took more than 1 month to get them on paper. After Armistice was signed, Pinky was traveling from France through Germany and had some long, arduous treks ahead of him as the Allied forces were leaving the country. During the trip through Germany, Pinky had time to run the notes through his head to see how they might fit the words and the cadence of the song. I think that the reason that the forces were leaving Germany was because Armistice required forces to stay out of Germany until Dec 1, so many troops, including my grandfather, were sent to stay in Belgium until then. Once returning in Germany, the troops followed the Ahr River up until it merged with the Rhine River. There, my grandfather & a couple of other Marines quartered in a caretaker's house on the grounds of a summer estate home that had belonged to a Kaiser. Finally, these guys had a roof over their head!

However, the most important thing for Pinky was that the bunkhouse contained an upright piano. As soon as he could do so, Pinky sat down and began to play the notes that had been locked in his head for the past few days. As he played the notes, he transcribed them to paper. The notes that he played that day would eventually become the music to The Aggie War Hymn.

On the 2nd day that the soldiers were quartered in the cabin, Pinky had just come back from standing guard at a depot near the river & as he entered the cabin, Pinky sat down, unfolded his paper & propped it against the music stand on the piano.& he began to play & sing the song that he had kept locked in his head the past few weeks. The words slid in perfectly to the notes & the Aggie War Hymn was born.

This may have been the paper that Pinky wrote his music to: (I've enclosed a closeup)

On a side note: There have been several stories over the years that told of Pinky wroting the War Hymn at this point in time. I actually believed this story to be true for several years, but it's simply not the case. I have newspaper articles & this story that proves that the words were indeed written in a "French Trench". The truth is that the music was written at this time, but the wording had already been completed.

During the next few days, Pinky recruited a quartet of fellow Marines to help him sing his song. Who would have thought that the Aggie War Hymn would 1st be sung by a group of Marines along the banks of the Rhine River in Germany?
Pinky was stationed in Germany until he got his papers to return home on July 5,1919. It took a couple of weeks to get everything ready but on July 15, trains began to arrive to take the soldiers back home. In late July, the soldiers boarded a ship to go home & in early August, Pinky and his comrades arrived in New York to be greeted by Lady Liberty herself. On August 15, Pinky finally arrived back to his childhood home in Florence.

I have several pics of Pinky from overseas that I will be posting very soon, so stay tuned.

Pinky with Marine buddies. (Pinky on far left)

Pinky(center) with fellow Marines on the Rhine. Serenading the ladies with a song perhaps?

German frauleins. Notice the vineyards in the background.

Pinky (right) on the ship going back to the good ol' U.S. of A.

Next up, the final installment: Pinky goes back to A&M & the rest is history.
Dub05
AG
Great story! Thanks for sharing!
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
great thread.

I'm trying to get this straight...it appears "hullaballoo..caneck, caneck" was an aggie yell prior to Pinky writing the song?

That's correct
tom59
AG
War Hymn, what an incredible story!! Thanks so much for sharing. It's though you were there, it's so detailed. Where did you obtain the story? Grandfather? Other?
Capitol Ag
AG
Aggie War Hymn,

Could you explain the other verse of the War Hymn and how that came to be? I was always told it was the 1st verse and the one about tu was 2nd but the students at the time decided to only sing the verse about tu. Is that true?
dmart90
AG
war hymn aggie - you are clearly a heck of a grandson, a great American, and most important of all, a great Aggie! Thanks for sharing this amazing story! Can't wait for the final installment!
war hymn aggie
AG
CapitolAg,

tomorrow.
lb3
AG
aggierogue
AG
Aggie War Hymn

For later...

Love this thread.
BigAggieCane
AG
Truly appreciate you sharing this story
rafkennel
Outstanding thanks so much for telling this story
usmcaggie
AG
I was honored to meet your grandfather at the Sea Service Ball in 1973, where he was GOH. He signed an autograph for me on a napkin. It's in my 1974 Aggieland and always will be.

Thank you for the history. It was thoughtful of you to post.
war hymn aggie
AG
Here's a bonus audio that reinforces some of the story that I have shared. It tugged at my heart to once again hear my Grandpas voice after 30+ years. Hope the link works & hope ya'll enjoy.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B88R_9tFtX5JcGNjRWlYd1JkVFU/edit?usp=docslist_api

can anyone access this file? PLMK.
Capitol Ag
AG
quote:
CapitolAg,

tomorrow.
Looking forward to it. Thank you so much for sharing this story with us.
454bug
AG
This picture looks familiar...

[URL=http://s241.photobucket.com/user/454bug/media/Pinky%20-%201918_zps72f3kz5p.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s241.photobucket.com/user/454bug/media/3482909475_307978410c_z_zpsxiivekci.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s241.photobucket.com/user/454bug/media/dm0eytnbtcq9nz5dopwv_zpsguec2pn4.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s241.photobucket.com/user/454bug/media/Pinky%20monument_zps0o5m1zl6.jpg.html][/URL]

GREAT STORY!!!
454bug
AG
He even has a tribute on his tombstone!!

[URL=http://s241.photobucket.com/user/454bug/media/wilsonpinkyfront_zpsjyrskdsm.jpg.html][/URL]

VERY COOL!!
agjddoc
AG
Best thread ever.
mtb3314
AG
Do you have a picture of you with your grandfather?
war hymn aggie
AG
454bug,

That cenotaph that you posted is actually in the Texas state cemetery. Ironically, the statue that is located outside the Sander's museum on campus had originally planned on being located there, but after the statue was made & proposed to the cemetery, it was found to be too tall, as they have something like a 4.5' height limit.

The group that donated the funds to have the 2 statues built then decided to donate one to A&M & gave the other one to the town of Bertram. The farm road that the Bertram statue is next to will eventually take you to the ranches that both my mother & father grew up on outside of the community called Joppa. I sure wish that I had inherited a piece of land that either of my sets of grandparents had spent their adult lives on. It's beautiful, peaceful country.....

@mtb,

I have a few b&w pics of my grandpa & me after he had retired & was living in Burnet. Right off the bat, I found these. I was very young at the time. I' have a few more of my grandpa & me somewhere . I'll try to post tomorrow or Monday.

Pic with my big sister & of Grandpa & Mimi in their ranch house in the Joppa community (circa 1962)

My father & grandfather, likely after my father had received his Master's degree from A&M in 1963.
AGSmith
Jetpilot86
FullDraw
AG
Something about the steel in men's hearts to do what they did in those times amazes me. And universally what I read and hear is, they thought nothing about it. It's what any MAN would do. Thank you servicemen. Thank you all!
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
Something about the steel in men's hearts to do what they did in those times amazes me. And universally what I read and hear is, they thought nothing about it. It's what any MAN would do. Thank you servicemen. Thank you all!

It amazes me also, but growing up around my grandfather from WWII and my Dad from Vietnam, there were deep undercurrents they just never discussed except with their own "kind". I never saw them more relaxed than when they were talking to other "warriors". The rest of us just couldn't ever comprehend what they went through. Now they call it PTSD.
FullDraw
AG
Yep, the stories I hear from those that were there, and those that knew those that were there (or any one of our conflicts) are chilling. I, as everyone I know, wish we never had another one.
SlygirlAg
AG
this is such an awesome thread! I can't wait to read the rest of this story!
ccityag
AG
good bull war hymn
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:

It amazes me also, but growing up around my grandfather from WWII and my Dad from Vietnam, there were deep undercurrents they just never discussed except with their own "kind". I never saw them more relaxed than when they were talking to other "warriors". The rest of us just couldn't ever comprehend what they went through. Now they call it PTSD.
My father-in-law NEVER talked about his time on Korea, until he met my dad who also served there. He talked to Dad a lot, and even eventually opened up a little to my wife about things that had happened to him there.
d2dog00
AG
Awesome thread!!
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
Wow. Awesome story.
My wife just asked me why I was tearing up.

Note to self: ensure emotional stability before refreshing this thread again.

Love for school causing chest to do that swelling thing again....
CBattBQ87
X-43

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.