Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Aggie War Hymn & the history of how it came to be

138,421 Views | 381 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rootube
130Ag82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Semper Fi Pinky!!!
AgCat93
rather be fishing
AG
My wife and I were looking back through an old A&M yearbook with my grandfather ('48), and as he was going through the county clubs he came to the Bell County Club page (his club), and excitedly exclaimed, "There's Pinky Wilson!" He was apprently a club facilitator in some capacity, and my grandfather thought very highly of him.
Kramer
AG
So how much of this story is verified? Turning down a commission? Doesn't sound likely.
Trident 88
AG
He certainly wouldn't be the first. Some men simply don't want a leadership position and all the headaches that go along with it.
SwigAg11
bigjag19
AG
quote:
He certainly wouldn't be the first. Some men simply don't want a leadership position and all the headaches that go along with it.

Close friend of mine turned it down. He learned that the military wasn't for him, so he didn't want to add responsibility to his time.
New Boot Goofin
texag86
Kramer
AG
I hope the story is true.

However, I can almost hear someone saying "yeah right, they probably also offered him the Crown Jewels but he didn't have anyway to carry them. Just a screw up that got in trouble and learned how the business end of military discipline works."
RTC83
war hymn aggie
AG
Immediately after Pinky arrived in France, he began his duty as a Muleskinner. Along the way, he had several close encounters with the enemy as bombs & mustard gas killed several of his comrades and their mule teams. The Battle of Belleau Wood http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/belleau.htm in June of 1918 would add to his responsibilities. This battle saw nearly every Marine officer killed and reports showed that up to 70% of Marine soldiers were killed or seriously wounded.
Pinky continued to bring supplies to the front lines, but on return trips, he carried a very dear cargo back to the home base.it was the bodies of fallen soldiers. Day trips were extremely dangerous & only used in emergencies, as the German "Air Force", with the Red Baron & his flying circus dominated the skies at this time. Many Allied forces were killed by this new war weapon called the airplane.

Once the Marines duties had been finished in Belleau Wood, the Marines in the 5th & 6th regiment were sent to a French town called Soissions https://www.mca-marines.org/leatherneck/world-war-i-75-years-ago-attack-soissons which was controlled by the Germans. This 5 day battle was fierce, as 12K Americans lost their lives, Allied forces lost 125K & Germany lost 168K men. My grandfather was making supply runs both day & night. Day trips were extremely dangerous & only used in emergencies, as the German "Air Force", made famous by "The Red Baron & his flying circus" killed & injured many Allied forces during the course of the war. Pinky had one encounter where his mule team was killed & his wagon destroyed by a German aeriel attack but he narrowly escaped, receiving only minor injuries.

During the Battle of Soissions, Germans attacked the allied trenches while Pinky was present. Besides gunfire, there was also a lot of hand-to-hand combat going on. The allied code word for an incoming attack was "HULLABALLOO". Soldiers communicated this code word down the trench line by shouting Hullaballoo! Hullaballoo! Hullaballoo!! This kind of communication makes me think of the 12th Man @ football games, where for years, the yell leaders give hand signals for upcoming yells and the 12th Man passes the signals to other 12th Man members..Anyway, as Hullaballoo was announced along the line the soldiers would ready their guns for firing, which sounded like "caneck, caneck, caneck" to Pinky. This sound brought back memories of the yells that he participated in at his days at A&M. The song was not even thought of yet, but the seed had likely been planted.

Next up: Pinky gets his wish
AusAg32
AG
Was at Disney World and kept hearing the War Hymn on Main Street.
deadelephant98
GinMan
war hymn aggie
AG
AusAg32,

There's also a song called "Coney Island Baby" that was a hit in the late 20's. Disney may have been playing that tune.

I originally thought that my grandfather had copied the tune from that song, but 1st recording of Coney Island Baby was after the War Hymn had been in existence for a few years, so it may have been the other way around.
Sharpshooter
Aggie97
bobn
EllisCoAg
AG

OregonAggie
AG
I'm so glad I clicked on this!
jess09
Great read! keep 'em coming
Capt. America
AG
Loving the stories!
Rectitude
AG
Can't wait to hear more. Semper Fi, Pinky
bert harbinson
AG

Towns03
AG

ConLaw
lead
This site needs update: http://www.aggieband.com/story/warhymn.html.
greg.w.h
AG
Wikipedia article on Coney Island Baby mentions the dates and the similarity. Attributes Les Applegate for Coney Island Baby. Commonly in barbershop quartets sung as "Goodbye My Coney Island Baby."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodbye,_My_Coney_Island_Baby
greg.w.h
AG

Purported Main Street (Disneyland) version of "Goodbye My Coney Island Baby"
SpiderM85
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
AusAg32,

There's also a song called "Coney Island Baby" that was a hit in the late 20's. Disney may have been playing that tune.
Yeah, I heard renditions of both "Coney Island Baby" and "Hot Time" when I was at DisneyWorld last year.

Was funny because you could see a couple of random Ags in the crowd perk up for just a moment whenever Coney Island Baby got started lol. Myself included.
powerbiscuit
quote:
My grandfather was making supply runs both day & night. He had one encounter where his mule team was killed & his wagon was destroyed but he narrowly escaped receiving only minor injuries.

I recently watched an old WW1 era movie about a guy who handled the horses during the war and several of them were hit by a bomb. One horse survived and transported some artillery to where it needed to be and saved the force. I'll have to look up the title as I forgot it, but I think Walter Huston was the actor.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025342/
Helms96
AG
Good Aggie Bull
Firearms and LTC Instructor
12thGun.com
Jarhead
CO of P-2 Class of ‘96
milner79
quote:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ggb5ghZ4fU

Purported Main Street (Disneyland) version of "Goodbye My Coney Island Baby"
Must be, because we all know Disney-owned ESPN hates the Aggies ...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.