Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Aggie War Hymn & the history of how it came to be

138,512 Views | 381 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rootube
XpressAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found the Ranch House on CR 210...still Sip Owned as of July 2013.

Link to Google Earth
ABATTBQ87
AG
Looks like "saw varsity's horns off" dates back to 1913.

aferr02
ABATTBQ87
AG
Went to Burnet Saturday and visited the gravesite of Pinky and his wife.
war hymn aggie
AG
ABATT,

My birthfather was cremated & his urn is at that gravesite, as well.

Ya, it's weird, but that was his wish.

Grandpa Wilson was a VERY proud Ag. My father was almost equally as proud.

I'd like to think that I could compete with my grandpa on Aggie Spirit, but then again, if I was being subjected to enemy fire in a world war at the age of 20 & I was hunkered down in a trench in miserable weather for what seemed like days upon end, I doubt that I'd be thinking of writing some song about my beloved school & about beating the hell outta t.u., so I'm gonna say that he trumps anything that I have to say about my Aggie Spirit........
LGBFJB
AG
Wow. Awesome read.
Ishmael-Ag
AG
Awesome read. My brother ('67) and I ('69) recently returned from a trip to the St. Mihiel Salient and the Meuse Argonne where our grandfather ('12) served as an artillery 8' battery commander during those two major battles. We took a copy of his WW I diary written while he was there and walked in his footsteps. Very little has changed in that area since the time of the war, so it was easy to find exact locations where he laid his guns or targets fired upon as described in detail. What an experience.
ABATTBQ87
AG
War Hymn Aggie do you know Phil Barnett of Burnet? When he was young he lived across the street from Pinky
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I really appreciate you posting this story. I would buy a book or watch a documentary or movie made about this. Very well told by someone who knew Pinky as their grandfather.
Firenicz
AG
Thanks for sharing! I interviewed your grandfather for the Battalion in the summer of 1975. It was via telephone, and he so interesting, and helpful. I have often thought about what age he must have been at the time. Good Bull and Gig em!
Firenicz
vander54
S
Thank you for sharing. Awesome story!
WILDMAN95
AG
Do you have a copy of the article, or is it scanned or fiched somewhere that could be found and posted?
Gradaggie05
AG
Fascinating story! I've always been asked by my non-Aggie friends what hullabaloo canneck canneck actually means and now I know.

I'm confused. I probably missed something. But you said:

"The allied code word for an incoming attack was "HULLABALLOO". Soldiers communicated this code word down the trench line by shouting Hullaballoo! Hullaballoo! Hullaballoo!!"

And then later:

"So, being wet, cold, hungry, homesick & in mourning, he decided to rehearse some of his favorite yells from A&M:

"Farmers, Fight!
Sky Rocket!
Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck!
Warhee, Warhee! Look at the team, Look at the team! Look at the A&M team!! "

Was hullabaloo a military code word prior to WW1 that got incorporated into our yells?

Like I said, I probably missed something in the story.

Thanks!

Firenicz
AG
I would have to dig it up!! In a box somewhere! I remember he told me Hullabaloo was chick a saw indian for beat the hell outta tu!
Firenicz
AG
Chick a saw Indian, that's what he told me! Thanks for sharing. He was a handsome man, and a nice man
war hymn aggie
AG
tried posting this thru another way earlier, but I'm not very internet savvy, so I doubt that any readers could access it. It's an interview with Pinky himself. Hadn't heard his voice in 30+ years....makes me smile & cry at the same time.

Pics & audio to help with the story. Please be kind as it's my 1st (& likely last) movie effort.

Hope you enjoy & Merry Christmas!!

ColdChedda
Lateralus Ag
AG
Y'all watch the video.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Will watch when I get home.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Bump for Christmas eve.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
I would have to dig it up!! In a box somewhere! I remember he told me Hullabaloo was chick a saw indian for beat the hell outta tu!
urban legend
45-70Ag
AG
Wheres that idiot Randolph duke.

CBattBQ87
AG
Awesome!
pdtnation
AG
I was at the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta recently and they had the first verse playing for A&M rather than the traditional verse. It really caught me off guard because I had never actually heard it before.
CBattBQ87
AG
I'm pretty sure the only people that sing the "First" verse are the Singing Cadets.
Pinky Wilson Foundation
Looks like you have been on here for about 15 years. Well, just so you know, I am Pinky's Great Nephew, and Pinky was Born on our Family Ranch in Florence area...My Uncle Heber Wilson who grew up around Pinky , and also born on Our Family Ranch(we sold it in 1957) and 1 of your stories I know is not accurate. Pinky did not get his name in the way you desribed, as his Fathers nickname was Pinky also. So got his nickname from his Dad. Lots of misinformation in and around Pinky, as he was very quiet, and even left the core of the family for many years. .I am going to be going around to all the living members of the Wilson, and Hood Families that were related to Pinky, and gather stories, and Images etc. to put a better, more complete story line of Pinky's Life, and Our Families. And just so anyone knows, Pinky did not have any childern of his own, but adopted only. As for the other stories here on TexAg...??? I will update you on them.
NOTE: I am starting a Wilson Family Foundation, that will help Preserve the Memory of Pinky, and will have a Donation Wing that will give 10% of the Entire Foundation each year, long term to the A&M Corps of Cadets/A&M Band. I am looking for any Aggies that would like to help set up that foundation(Board Members, Fund Raising, Website creation, etc. ...I will be working with the Corps of Cadets at A&M to set this up. thanks, Robert Wilson 1(805)317-9699
Pinky Wilson Foundation
quote:
Went to Burnet Saturday and visited the gravesite of Pinky and his wife.
Pinky was my Great Uncle. I have yet to see his resting place there. I hope to go there this coming month. thanks for your thoughts/care about him. I am starting a Foundation with his name, and will work with Corps of Cadets on this, and have a Donation allotted annually to the A&M Band for their needs. thanks again, Robert Wilson 1(805)317-9699 p.s. Needing people to help with the setting up of this Foundation if you know of anyone interested.
Pinky Wilson Foundation
quote:
So how much of this story is verified? Turning down a commission? Doesn't sound likely.
Well, Pinky was my Great Uncle. He was born on our Family ranch, and WAS a Marine for sure. I am doing a more indepth research on Pinky amounst my family, and few who grew up as kids around him are still alive, like his nephew, my fathers brother, Heber Wilson. Pinkys kids were all adopted, as Pinky never had any kids of his own. I am starting a Foundation that will house all the known information about Pinky's life available and docmentable...as always lots of misinformation in the history of most families, even ours. My Foundation will be set up with the help of the Corps of Cadets, and will be Donating annually to the A&M Band for any needs they might have. Anyone is open to help me set up this foundation and get it off the ground. thanks, Robert Wilson 1(805)317-9699
VatoLocoAggie
Good Bull!
aggiejim70
AG
quote:
I'm pretty sure the only people that sing the "First" verse are the Singing Cadets.
Yup
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Pinky Wilson Foundation
quote:
quote:
urban legend
Hullabaloo, is a word that goes back to, traced back to the 1700's. Has No Military use. JUST used here as part of his words, and meaning in the War Hymm. Embelishing is always a part of everyones lives. I am sure even for Pinky, my great Uncle, and the people he told his story to. As his great nephew though, I will be chasing down these little details as I put his Life's story together. Stories are made to be enteratining, and fun at the time, not neccessarily real things. Thats just us humans. Takes nothing away from any phenom in history. Robert Wilson 1(805)317-9699 if anyone wants to help set up My Foundation for Pinky. thanks !
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
urban legend
Hullabaloo, is a word that goes back to, traced back to the 1700's. Has No Military use. JUST used here as part of his words, and meaning in the War Hymm. Embelishing is always a part of everyones lives. I am sure even for Pinky, my great Uncle, and the people he told his story to. As his great nephew though, I will be chasing down these little details as I put his Life's story together. Stories are made to be enteratining, and fun at the time, not neccessarily real things. Thats just us humans. Takes nothing away from any phenom in history. Robert Wilson 1(805)317-9699 if anyone wants to help set up My Foundation for Pinky. thanks !

Keep doing research and you'll find documents from the early longhorn yearbooks that show hullabaloo caneck caneck was a yell prior to being used in the war hymn and it is not an Indian word for beat the hell outta tu
VatoLocoAggie
quote:
quote:
quote:
urban legend

Agee as this is so very true. Veterans have always added liberties to their stories for the sake of entertainment and for their families and friends who want to believe. A recent example is American Sniper. Most of that movie and book is pure fiction.

I would say the most all and definitely the important parts of Pinky's story is truth. I have read it over 20 times and I still get goose bumps. I wish it was more publicized and I hope every Fish reads this. Pinkie Wilson is a true American and A&M hero.

Damn Good Bull!
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:

At about the 8:00 mark, Rick Perry confuses Pinky Wilson with Pinky Downs.
war hymn aggie
AG
A&M throughout the years has been all about traditions. IMO,the writing of the AWH is one of it's greatest stories. It's about an A&M cadet that volunteered to join the Marines in WW1 & during the heat of battle in a forest in France, he took out pen to paper & wrote lyrics to what is now the Aggie War Hymn. Pinky @ 21 years old wrote these lyrics not in his dorm, but in a bunker while in France as the Germans were launching everything they had in a desperate attempt to win the war. Days later, they surrendered & eventually, the AWH was born. Fortunately, Pinky brought the song back to him when he returned to A&M in 1919 & it caught enough for the FTAB band to play it soon after.

2018 marks the 100 year Anniversary of the writing of the Aggie War Hymn.

If one bomb had landed on Pinky, or if a german soldier had attacked him in his "French Trench", then you would have never seen this post or more importantly, the Aggie War Hymn would have never been heard by any other Aggies.

IMO, the AWH, along with Texas' Independence itself, were both forged in the heat of battle. How many other University's school "fight" songs can lay claim to that?

Please think & thank Pinky for his love for A&M & also for his foresight to write his song the next time you & your fellow Aggies sing his song & saw varsity's horns off at an Aggie game or a wedding or an impromptu yell practice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.