Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Aggie War Hymn & the history of how it came to be

137,779 Views | 381 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rootube
war hymn aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
An off-season thread that hopefully my fellow Aggies will enjoy:

My grandfather, Pinky Wilson came to write the Aggie War Hymn while serving his country during WW1.

Without going into great detail, I'd like to spend a few moments telling you a story, Ags. The story of how the Aggie War Hymn came to be written, so here is the 1st chapter of this amazing story:

James Vernon Wilson was born in 1897 at a ranch outside of Florence, TX. His father, William, owned a mercantile business & was also a goat rancher. William had been orphaned as a small boy after his mother & father had both died. Living in Arkansas at the time, William's father, who was an Arkansas Confederate soldier fighting in the Civil War, died in a Union POW camp of small pox. About this same time, William's mother also got sick and died, so William was raised by his uncle, Isaac Newton (imagine the gravity of being given that name) and had a very Pioneer-like life, having traveled by wagon from Texas to California as an 8 yr old. Another Uncle of his, Willis Newton wrote a book about his travels entitled "The Recollections of an Octogenarian" It is available to read online for anyone interested about Pioneer life in the mid 1800's. http://www.wagontrain1865.com

William returned to Texas as a young adult in the 1880's & raised his family in Williamson Co.. My Grandpa was the 5th of 6 boys in the family and he also had 1 sister.

Here's a pic of my grandpa (on the right, holding a racoon, nonetheless) in th early 1900's.

His father sent Pinky from Florence to Austin High School in as a freshman in 1911,where he graduated in 1915. It was at AHS that he garnered the nickname "Pinky" when fellow classmate Rip Collins threw a ball that nailed the new-kid-on-the-block in the back during recess. After being hit by that pitch, my grandpa developed turned so red in complexion that Rip & the other boys started calling him "Pinky". Rip went on to attend A&M with my grandfather and was a 4 sport star athlete and was later a pitcher in the majors where he won over 100 games during his playing career. Collins & my grandpa remained friends throughout their lives.

Below is a pic of my grandpa & Rip while both were attending Austin High:

Pinky & Rip both arrived to A&M in the fall of 1915 and my grandfather apparently distinguished himself as a very astute student. So much so, that he was invited to be a Ross Volunteer as a Sophomore in '16, one of only a handful of Aggies that can ever claim this distinction.

Additionally, Pinky was a very good musician & singer, & enjoyed performing with the A&M Glee Club.

Life for Pinky at A&M was great.....& then in 1917, the United States entered WW1 & many Americans lives were turned upside down, including my grandfathers......

Next up.....From A&M to Marine.
greg.w.h
AG
WHOOP!!! Looking forward to more!!
Backcountry Wanderer
McGibblets
tbirdspur2010
Sex Panther
AG
BackwardsInBoots
BaileyAg
rowdyag
Quito
Burrus86
gamedrunk
TAMU74
McInnisAg08
Hey Nav
Toothdoc86
FightingAggie
tx1c
AG
quote:
Isaac Newton (imagine the gravity of being given that name)
Here4Beer
AG

Shooter McGavin
AG

ABATTBQ87
HBCanine08
AG
quote:

Right?!
Capt. America
AG
Pinky was in the A&M Glee Club? The predecessor to the Singing Cadets? NICE!
jess09
Awesome story cousin!
agfan2013
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
NICE!!! Looking forward to more.
EllisCoAg
AG

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
I knew Austin would figure in somewhere !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
MagnumLoad
Some good bull on this board. I like it. Thank you OP.
JazzAg
Congrats...you may have just saved the zoo.
MondayMorningQB
JoLoTheTongue
BQ84 -ORP
AG

war hymn aggie
AG
Once the US entered The War in April of 1917, Pinky wanted to see action ASAP so he turned down the Army and enlisted with the Marines. Pinky turned down the Army because he was afraid that they would commission him as an officer due of his A&M training and that would postpone his ability to fight in the war. As an enlisted Marine, Pinky arrived for basic training in Parris Island, SC. After a couple of days, the recruits were issued new Springfield rifles & were were given the task of disassembling, cleaning & re-assembling their weapons. As the story goes, the instructor had left the building for a few minutes before training began and when he returned, he noticed that Pinky had finished his task and was instructing fellow recruits on how to do the job. The instructor asked my grandpa how he knew so much about the details of this task & Pinky replied that he had learned it from his 2 years attending Texas A&M & that he could handle that weapon in his sleep. As soon as Pinky said this, he knew that he had made a big mistake. The instructor immediately left the barracks only to return a few minutes later with an order to see the captain. Once Pinky reported to the captain's office, he was asked if he had indeed attend A&M, to which Pinky acknowledged that he had.. He was then instructed to go pack his bags because he was going to be sent to Virginia for Officer Training School. However, Pinky turned the commission down because he knew that being an officer would delay his goal of fighting the enemy ASAP. It was a tough decision to make, in more ways than one, as you will discover later. Obviously, the military doesn't take too well to soldiers disobeying orders. After repeatedly denying his commission, the sergeant made sure that for the next 8 weeks, 'ol Pinky was to be recognized as the 1st to do wrong & the last to get it right. He was awarded the worst details & was given every late watch assignment. He received scoldings about every day, but he remained tough & credited his training that he had received @ A&M as helping him get through these difficult times. Pinky made it through basic training & became a Private 1st Class Marine.

From South Carolina, Pinky was sent to Quantico, Virginia for advanced training. It was here that his decision to turn down a commission cost him again. Pinky was assigned the position of Muleskinner, which made it unlikely that he would see any fighting at all. A muleskinners job was to supply guns, ammo, food, etc. to the soldiers. It was a bitter pill for my grandfather to swallow. He had turned down a commission in order to see action ASAP, but since he had turned down a commission, the Marines punished him by keeping him away from the front lines.

While in Quantico, Pinky did best he could to keep up with the Fightin' Texas Aggie football team. In 1917, they were having a great season & had won their 1st 5 games when Pinky & the other Marines in the 6th Regiment got orders to sail to France. In mid October, Pinky & Co. sailed out of the New York harbor & 14 days later, they docked in St. Nazaire, France.

Next stop: War

mpezll

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.