Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Thoughts on statues?

112,706 Views | 469 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aeon-ag
fulshearAg96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

The new statues at Kyle Field look like they were all carved with a crayon.
FILO505
AG
Nobody seems to be able to make the connection between the yell leader statue and the person that it's modeled after...
TxAgswin
AG
I think they were worth it just for this thread. Some of the funniest posts I've seen in the zoo.

That being said, a few issues came to mind...

Chainsaw guy - Chainsaws were for those silly brown pots to go help the occasional south side frat boy who hung a tree. No chainsaws were allowed in our woods (Crocker) and they certainly aren't representative of FTAB. The statue on NG is much better.

Zombie Apocalypse Tough Mudder Statue - The sips will say we made a statue dedicated to them. Also all girls in there are 2/10 WNB. Mostly due to chafe risk.
Towns03
AG
quote:

STX AG 8:23p

Old man is the worst thing about texags. I hope you DIAF, but I mean that in a positive way.

Why are you posting here? It seems to me that all of your problems will go away if you just stop reading threads you don't agree with.
Elkoholics Anonymous
AG
Quote:

We just bought a Ferrari and put bumper stickers all over it.
marble rye
AG
quote:
quote:

STX AG 8:23p

Old man is the worst thing about texags. I hope you DIAF, but I mean that in a positive way.

Why are you posting here? It seems to me that all of your problems will go away if you just stop reading threads you don't agree with.

STX seems to think he is the board police or somesuch.
BradC34
AG
quote:
Nobody seems to be able to make the connection between the yell leader statue and the person that it's modeled after...

Hadn't really thought about it... Is that Governor Goodhair?
1aggie02
AG
quote:
Old E. King Gill needs to be in Kyle. That's all I've got to say. Being able to see both statues, the new and the old in the same space is a poor move by the university. It's confusing and dumb...

Wouldn't that make one of them the thirteenth man? Or are we talking 12-A and 12-B?
leardriver
AG
Bumper stickers on a Ferrari? Yep, that's about it.

The statues are a poor attempt to 'force' relevance and manufacture some sort of significance.

They're a contrivance, and they're hideous.

Someone (or some organization) has way too much money if they choose to waste it like this.

Bill, '67
AG
Say what you want about it, but we have the biggest set of bronze tlts this side of the Statue of Liberty
Squadron7
AG
quote:
Old E. King Gill needs to be in Kyle.

How about on the actual sideline?
TheCougarHunter
AG
quote:
quote:

What
Al Bula
AG
Will we ever get clarity on who thought it would be a good idea to use the same vendor from Skymall? Seriously, these eerie statues look like this to me:

http://www.skymall.com/zombie-of-montclaire-moors/DB-383020.html
TheCougarHunter
AG
aTm- We have Big bronze tlts
Squadron7
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

What

Elevated a bit, standing behind the bench actually. Isn't that the one with him actually holding the helmet?
zephyr88
AG
quote:

rjamizon
These are so embarrassing.

E King Gill looks like he has back problems and a DK Mode head. Visiting fans are going to put things in the Yell Leader's gaping mouth and post pictures of it. And finally, who decided it would be a good idea to make a statue to the List Eater?

MW03
AG
The yell leader looks like Jimmy Stewart from Rear Window...

redd38
AG
quote:
Will we ever get clarity on who thought it would be a good idea to use the same vendor from Skymall? Seriously, these eerie statues look like this to me:

http://www.skymall.com/zombie-of-montclaire-moors/DB-383020.html
I wish the faces on the new statues looked that good :/
Old Main
AG
How many people reviewed and approved these statues?

Who approved this?

It isn't like these statues are average or marginal.... they are horrible.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/F4lKw2Et.png[/img]
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Chainsaw guy - Chainsaws were for those silly brown pots to go help the occasional south side frat boy who hung a tree. No chainsaws were allowed in our woods (Crocker) and they certainly aren't representative of FTAB. The statue on NG is much better.

The Bonfire statue behind NG is pretty awful as well. And that's a strange place to put it.
Al Bula
AG
I really hope these monstrosities get the Dazed and Confused KISS treatment.

Texas Yarddog
AG
Someone mentioned Knox earlier. That was my first thought as well.

And STXAg, you can list your grievances of other posters here
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:
I can't believe we have 8 Medal of Honor awardees and we put up a statue of some dude in cargo shorts.

mid90
AG
We got rid of the 12th man seat crap. Let's get rid off these.
redd38
AG
The key to getting rid of the 12 empty seats was stopping it before it happened. I knew once those seats were in place it would be MUCH more difficult to get them removed. Same with these statues, it's going to be much more difficult to get these removed I'm afraid.

I think the first step will be to email people in charge and get them to admit that the statues suck.
EliteZags
AG
so were the 12 actually modeled after actual students? have they since gone into hiding/denial of ever being associated with this abortion?
WillD
AG
Where is the zombie "brains" gif? I thought it was on this thread.
coupland boy
AG
quote:

I think the first step will be to email people in charge and get them to admit that the statues suck.

That's what makes these things so difficult to remove.

Band and corps statues are just fine. Nice landmark to meet up with someone before and after the game. Not gawdy. I don't understand why that concept is so dofficult to understand and implement in Aggieland (looking at you AO past with your saw 'em off crap).

Dont get me wrong, I'd prefer something else, but I also think there's a bit of mob mentality at play here. Let's see what the verdict is a few months from now. I don't like them but they're not THAT bad. Bad enough needs to be gone IMO but that's just my opinion and opinions change
Barnacle
AG
The Yell Leader looks like what I would envision a younger skinnier Hank Hill would look like.

Seriously though, is there some kind of approval process/committee that approves similar statues around campus? If so, was this same committee involved here? I wish someone in the know would explain the approval process here and whether or not it involved anyone outside of the immediate committee responsible for construction. The statues are 1 thing that we could've taken our time with and nobody would've missed if they were set behind by a review process.

This totally reminds me of the horrendous Christmas trees we had as a kid when my folks would let my sister and I go hog wild with the "over-decorating." Another example of how the phrase "less is more" does not enter the vocabulary of those who are vigorously engaged in penile measuring contests.
R0GUE
AG
The model for the 12th man statue:

Sublette County
AG
I'm seriously thinking of buying a Dirk Diggler t-shirt and putting it on the big donged fellow on the war hymn statue. Maybe for the Ole Miss game.
marble rye
AG
quote:
Where is the zombie "brains" gif? I thought it was on this thread.
Its on this threadp. 5 I think.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
quote:
I'm seriously thinking of buying a Dirk Diggler t-shirt and putting it on the big donged fellow on the war hymn statue. Maybe for the Ole Miss game.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I don't think it matters, they are already bought, paid for and installed. Pretty dumb to keep whining about them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.