Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Thoughts on statues?

113,457 Views | 469 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aeon-ag
Scientific
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Too bad no one predicted it would be stupid:

http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2329597

"At least one should have cargo shorts and/or jersey"

Did they read that thread for suggestions instead of the ridicule?
coupland boy
AG
The idea of immortalizing the 12 bonfire victims in that link was not a bad idea. I assume the families would have had to agree with it though. Not a bad idea though.
Old Main
AG
From Rock1983...

quote:
I walked by each one yesterday. Worst statues I've ever seen. Hideous is a good word. Embarrassment also appropriate.

war hymn looks like a bunch of mutant zombies. Forget that it doesn't represent the student population....it doesn't represent human beings well.

yell leaders from what era? I didn't know there was a time that we allowed prepubescent 12 yr olds to be yell leaders. All of our yell leaders look like tough hombres.....UFC fighters......not Eddie Haskell. And what the hell is with that expression.....it looks.....I don't know the right word.

the 12th man statue I'm sure was stolen from the Neanderthal museum in France. If I am a decadent of E King I immediately sue to have that taken down. Not since the enlightenment has a sculpture screwed up the proportions of the human body that badly. Seems like the artist tried to combine Crow's head with Manziel's feet, and Evan's arms on the same torso from the yell leader statue. Amateur.

i may not have paid for them but I will happily contribute a large amount to have them removed. They are embarrassing to me, most others I talked around the statues and our university. Take them down now
[img]http://i.imgur.com/F4lKw2Et.png[/img]
STX Ag
AG
Please take all issues to the official grievances thread.

Thanks and gig em.

Ps-Old Main can EAD.
Old Main
AG

Great post from civilaggie2011...
quote:
I'm not sure what's worse, the concept or the execution.

Building a statue for everything we do is beyond embarrassing. I could seriously see the decision makers installing a bronze statue of a student placing a penny on the Sul Ross statue. Or a statue of a row of students facing the railroad tracks by Blue Bell Park and holding up fingers to guess the number of locomotives. It's that kind of weird **** that these people get off on. It's the same mentality that thought twelve empty seats was a good idea.

As far as the execution of these ideas, we now have zombie Anna Nicole and Dirk Diggler doing the war hymn, and a truly crazed yell leader looking for some brains to eat. That yell leader is going to haunt my dreams, it must be horrifying for children to see. Who was the artist who did these statues? Who picked the student models? It's just an absolute failure all around.

Maybe we can inspire some Baylor students to come vandalize the new statues to the point that they have to be removed. I'd be okay with that.
STX Ag
AG
Old Main, you ***** more than anyone I've ever come across. So I made a thread just for folks like you. Please take all further negative posts there.

http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2522161

Thanks and Gig Em.
Old Main
AG

95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Please take all issues to the official grievances thread.

Grandstanding for your own thread.
Old Main
AG
From Mr_mo8268...

quote:
We build a $450 million stadium and put up statues that are less than excellent. That's sad and pathetic. Why put them out there if they aren't perfect or something that everyone will love? Makes us look like we don't know what we are doing, which happens often.

From Coppell97...

Ags2013
AG
quote:
I heard if you walk up to one of the statues at midnight and say Fran's name 3 times he'll appear
*laughcry
tamc12
AG
Is there any way these could be moved to the West side just in time for demolition. Deep six them under the stands that will hold the administration that thought these statues would be a good idea!
Or move them inside that planned elitist locked concourse lounge area where the administration can mingle then they can fawn over them, and we don't have to see them. If they want them they should be locked up with them.
Old Main
AG
There is some precedent for poorly done statues "disappearing" from the Texas A&M campus. In the early 1980s there was a statue in a prominent location near the southeast entrance of the MSC called PLANNED FOR THE FUTURE (or something like that). I believe that the statue was erected in the 1960s or 1970s. One of the running jokes was that the PLANNED FOR THE FUTURE title wasn't the actual name of the statue, but the heading of a rendering showing future plans around campus. Anyway, the statue ended up being officially named PLANNED FOR THE FUTURE on the base. If I remember correctly, someone that would know confirmed that this was in fact how the statue was named.

It was poorly done as far as I can remember, but not nearly as bad as our new ZOMBIE TOUGH MUDDER statues. When the MSC was renovated and expanded in the mid-1980s the statue was taken down to facilitate construction, but mysteriously it was never replaced when construction was finished. There was never any official statement or word about the disappearance of the statue, it was just gone and people eventually forgot about it. As far as campus improvements this falls into the "addition by subtraction" category.

If someone has a photo of this statue please post it... I have not been able to find one yet.
CosmicMaskedAvenger
AG

Old Main
AG
From VA_Ag94,
quote:
Need to start a petition to get this horrid thing off our campus!

Agreed
Bullmoose
AG
quote:
There is some precedent for poorly done statues "disappearing" from the Texas A&M campus. In the early 1980s there was a statue in a prominent location near the southeast entrance of the MSC called PLANNED FOR THE FUTURE (or something like that). I believe that the statue was erected in the 1960s or 1970s. One of the running jokes was that the PLANNED FOR THE FUTURE title wasn't the actual name of the statue, but the heading of a rendering showing future plans around campus. Anyway, the statue ended up being officially named PLANNED FOR THE FUTURE on the base. If I remember correctly, someone that would know confirmed that this was in fact how the statue was named.

It was poorly done as far as I can remember, but not nearly as bad as our new ZOMBIE TOUGH MUDDER statues. When the MSC was renovated and expanded in the mid-1980s the statue was taken down to facilitate construction, but mysteriously it was never replaced when construction was finished. There was never any official statement or word about the disappearance of the statue, it was just gone and people eventually forgot about it. As far as campus improvements this falls into the "addition by subtraction" category.

If someone has a photo of this statue please post it... I have not been able to find one yet.
Just google Shaping the Future statue MSC

http://www.myaggienation.com/campus_evolution/landmark_statues/image_4bb43fe6-0b7b-11e3-887e-0019bb2963f4.html
Al Bula
AG
I agree with everyone else when I say this war hymn statue is a horrid abomination. I'd love for someone to own up to this and admit this is epic fail.
95_Aggie
AG
That's a different statue. There was a much worse Planned for the Future statue at the MSC that was a hybrid half-man, half-woman abomination.

The one you have linked is by Harrington (still there).
Bullmoose
AG
quote:
That's a different statue. There was a much worse Planned for the Future statue at the MSC that was a hybrid half-man, half-woman abomination.

The one you have linked is by Harrington (still there).
My mistake.
marble rye
AG
quote:
ZOMBIE TOUGH MUDDER

Ceast and desist letter will be in the mail as soon as my trademark application is approved.
Old Main
AG
Still no photo, but I found this...

Blog about PLANNED FOR THE FUTURE statue

Excerpts from the blog linked above...

During this time period the school unveiled a new statue for the fountain area outside the MSC. Officially called the Rudder Plaza or Rudder Fountain Plaza or who knows what they call it now, back then it was known to me for two things a large fountain and this goofy-assed statue.

I wasn't there for the unveiling, but I walked past it for years afterwards. It was your standard bronze statue of two students, male and female. The base of each person was a common blob of bronze and as you moved upwards they grew apart until they were sort of standing side by side at the top. I recall they were holding books and looking off into the distant future like all college students do when they stand still. You know the pose. Chin up, chest out, shoulders square, ready to take on what the world gives them and rule the world. Right. Well they look that way when cast in bronze. Whoever sculpted that thing was paying no attention to what students looked like back then. Backpack over the shoulder, bags under the eyes, mumbling chemistry formulas under their breath while trying to remember what their calculus professor meant when he said in his lovely broken English "intercal cayshons". Hint turns out he said "integral equations". Students in 1979 were beat down. They are beat down now, they just talk on their cell phones and send texts while walking around being beat down.

The most interesting thing about the statue was the inscription. The following words were carved into the large four-foot tall block of marble that the statue was sitting on.

"Planned for the Future".

What? I always thought that was a bit vague. Planned for the future? What was planned for the future? The students? Maybe. Their education? Maybe. I never understood it so I focused on the statue itself and saw this strange object that started off as one tree trunk and then split into two people. "Joined at the crotch" was how I thought about it. For many people I knew in college I always thought that was a pretty accurate description of them. But I never did understand that inscription.

One day while I was working at the theater center I just happened to mention my confusion regarding the statue. My comment was met with an explosion of laughter from the full-time staff. These guys were on the floor, bent over, tears rolling down their eyes laughing. I was frankly a bit scared in that "what did I say?" kind of way.

Finally a few of them regained control enough to pull me over to a filing cabinet. After making me pinky swear to never reveal the secrets of the statue, they pulled a few large blueprints from the cabinet.

In a hushed voice that you only hear during the tense moments of Indiana Jones movies, they explained that these were the original blueprints for the redevelopment of Rudder Fountain Plaza. Laid out in blue ink glory were the designs for the fountain itself. All the bricks, all the steps, everything. There were lots of penciled in notes on construction deadlines and notations for the contractors. Many of these notes were pointed at various landmarks scattered around the plaza. Some of them said things like instructions on how to build things or when to build them or in what order they were to be installed. It was all rather interesting and old since most of this had been built years before I got there. Then the guy drew his finger in a straight line to a square next to the MSC itself. There in scribbled letters was a single word, "statue". It was pointed to the square where I now knew the statue in question was recently installed.

Then he pointed to the words next to the square in plain pencil.

"Planned for the future."

That's when I started laughing. Then they started laughing again. When we finally calmed down they told me that the company that was contracted to build the base was asked what to inscribe. The note they got was something vague like, "It's on the plans." But the only plans they had were these. There were some other plans that had something boring and expected like, "Looking to the Future" or "Education for Tomorrow". You have seen those inscriptions. Something completely inoffensive and meaningless. But that plan wasn't what they had. They had THIS plan and all it said next to the 'statue' was "Planned for the Future" so that is what they carved into the huge, heavy and expensive base for the statue. Then the sculpture was shipped to these guys who attached the two and shipped it to A&M. By the time the statue was installed and unwrapped and the mistake was discovered, it was too late to have it changed. Someone finally decided the inscription really didn't matter so they all promised to never tell on each other and let it ride. Screw it! Who's going to know?

Years later the Rudder Plaza was redesigned again and an art gallery was extended out past where that statue used to reside. The statue was removed to some off campus location and hasn't seen the light of day since. I talked to an MSC administrator a few years ago and told her this story and she nodded and thought and said, "I think I may know where that statue is." She thought it was in some warehouse and yeah, it wasn't ever coming out again.

I learned about that statue about 30 years ago. I'm hoping the 'statue' of limitations for pinky swears is somewhere less than 30 years! Anyway, that statue has been buried in the dark recesses of a major University. I tried to find a photo of it but not surprisingly I can't find any. Right now the MSC is being rebuilt and redesigned and I'm sure there will be lots of new art and sculpture installed when it opens in 2012. But I think I know one little statue that is most definitely not "planned for the future".
Bajan
AG
^cliff notes?
Old Main
AG
quote:
What? I always thought that was a bit vague. Planned for the future? What was planned for the future? The students? Maybe. Their education? Maybe. I never understood it so I focused on the statue itself and saw this strange object that started off as one tree trunk and then split into two people. "Joined at the crotch" was how I thought about it. For many people I knew in college I always thought that was a pretty accurate description of them. But I never did understand that inscription.

Bajan, I had to go back and reformat the paragraphs again... it should be easier to read now. It is actually a funny story if you take a few minutes to read it.

quote:
ZOMBIE TOUGH MUDDER
quote:
Cease and desist letter will be in the mail as soon as my trademark application is approved.

Curious Jorge,

Sorry to borrow your phrase, but those three words are the perfect description for these statues.
marble rye
AG
I bleed sarcasm good sir. Use the phrase to your heart's content.
Old Main
AG
I know... I'm just jelly that I didn't come up with that.

Bajan
BrayK15
AG
Horrible. Tacky, ugly, and horrifying.
AggieZUUL
AG
marble rye
AG
Think of how all the old ags that still have their grodes feel. Tough Mudder ripped them off.
sail33or
AG
I hope maybe some current students (destroy) these statues and leave evidence that Rice Eggheads did it.

Or just have a planned destruction party. I will contribute more to the removal of these statues than any other A&M donations I make. In fact, I will make removal a requirement before any future contributions.
Saint Arnold
AG
Old Main
AG
How could this possibly be a bad idea?

Be in the War Hymn Statue!!

Old Main
AG
Creature from the Black Lagoon shares some hereditary features with Zombie Tough Mudder Yell Leader

STX Ag
AG
Old man is the worst thing about texags. I hope you DIAF, but I mean that in a positive way.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Spooky and embarrassing. They need to be gone.
Picadillo
The statue of the 12 has got to go. Very unpopular.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.