Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Thoughts on statues?

113,464 Views | 469 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aeon-ag
ScoobyDoobyDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sad to say it, because I hate the new statues (the band and corp monuments are ok) but I have a feeling that they're here to stay. This is partially due to the fact that most of our attention is focused on the spirit of '02 (rightfully so IMO), and by comparison these statues are a forgivable sin.

Our decision makers at the top are horrible right now, anyone know when/how we get new ones? At this rate our school is headed for some gloomy times.
Coppell97
AG
up-n-aTm
AG
Don't let this die! They must go! Get the '02 back first, then focus on these abominations!
Coppell97
AG
aggieswyn3
Can we revive this
Chetos
AG
quote:
Can we revive this

It's simple... Just like the team, The artist are young. They statues will be better next year.
Coppell97
AG
We need a statute badge/icon on TexAgs for statue supporters:

1996OlAg
AG
looks like The Walking Dead, I mean it really does

That would likely scare my kids!!
AgWeb44
I saw the saw 'em off statue this weekend (first time to see it in person). I have to say that it is even worse in real life. The concept of the various statues is pretty good, but the execution of that concept was pretty bad.
sharpdressedman
When I commission a bronze sculpture (home art gallery size), I insist on seeing the pre-cast model. I am rather confident that such a preview was not done with the Kyle Field statues. The issues of scaling the body parts and assuring facial expressions were normal would have been obvious, and not deemed acceptable on a few of them. We are stuck with them.
texAZtea
AG
Am currently planning a smoking for my fish in front of the war hymn statue. If they didn't already cringe when they walk by it, they will in a week or so.
bnago
AG
Just saw the statues in person for the first time this weekend. For whatever pranks we've pulled on tu in the past, it looks like tsips commissioned these farces (especially the horrid 'saw horns') and will have the last laugh on us for generations. It's the only explanation for why they exist because no real Ag would have EVER allowed these hideous monstrosities to be displayed in public. It's disgraceful...
OMLAg04
Whoever paid the "sculpter" for those POS should be fired immediately. Saw them for the first time this weekend. That was the beginning of a lackluster Saturday.
cecil77
AG

This season is penance for those statues.
HowdyArmy
Have you seen any at Notre Dame? They are done really well and sculptor lives in Boerne. Seems like someone should've looked at him.

http://notredame.247sports.com/Bolt/Notre-Dame-has-two-of-top-five-statues-in-college-football-31469755
tamc12
AG
The best use of the bonfire chain saws this year would be to saw those statues down.
Texags is garbage
I'm about 95% sure those hideous statues are going to come to life and murder TexAgs users. Stephen King might just have some new horror novel material.
Ag Tag
quote:

Damn, this thing is awful! And why is Charles Barkley in it?
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
Have you seen any at Notre Dame? They are done really well and sculptor lives in Boerne. Seems like someone should've looked at him.

http://notredame.247sports.com/Bolt/Notre-Dame-has-two-of-top-five-statues-in-college-football-31469755

Who is the sculptor? That link doesn't say who the sculptor is, nor does it have pictures of the sculptures you memtioned.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
These sculptures are terrible. They need to be removed and melted down. I make bronze sculptures as a hobby and this "professional" artist is nowhere near my level.
HowdyArmy
http://jerrymckenna.com/site/portfolio.htm
FILO505
AG
but but but.... tradition....
aeon-ag
quote:
At least the tshirt dress with boots wardrobe choice has been captured forever.
She does have some LARGE TaTas.
aeon-ag
To be completely honest these are about the worst statues I have ever seen.
William Larue Weller
AG
The statues are a laughingstock. Especially the one with the yell leader and his mid-orgasm face.
burdt
AG
Turrible. Turrible statues.

Years from now, teets mcgee will have shiny sweater bunnies from all the late night frat/CT motorboating traditions that are sure to take root.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Was Butthead the model for the yell leader statue?

Coppell97
AG
Coppell97
AG
jmg3
AG
Wasn't Sam Torn (Chair of the Kyle Field Redevelopment Comittee / Chairman of the 12th Man Foundation Trustees and former Head Yell Leader) was the model for it?

He unveiled it and was a former yell leader so I just assumed.

Plus, it kinda looks exactly like him.

Coppell97
AG
FILO505
AG
It's not a random depiction. And it's not some b.s. "spirit and passion of the Yell Leader" crap. It's as transparent as you can see. And your vision doesn't need to be even decent to see this garbage.
runontexas
AG
The chainsaw is creepy. They should've put a 12th man jersey on a few of the kids.
Billy Liuccis Facial Hair
AG
Put a bunch up
TxAggieDoc
AG
Statues are generally built to commemorate things that were, not things are. Building statues of things we currently see/do/have is just silly.

And the new ones are eyesores. Complete and total eyesores.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.