Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

An enormous realignment bomb went off today and most have yet to hear the boom.

12,399 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Buck Turgidson
SlevinKelevra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Adding UH vs Mixzou would add more to the SEC. Plus, would solidify the Houston area as an SEC town.

lol
Nolan915
The leaked "report" was apparently put together by the pro SEC faction at Missouri.

It is very optimistic and not objective.

Cant Think of a Name
AG
TennAg gets it!
Bamatab
Can someone provide a link to the article detailing the 45 page "leak"? TIA
Fins Up!
AG
I would love to see the B1G take MU and VT slide into the SEC as #14.
Texas Tea
AG
quote:
Maybe a planned leak to perk the ears of SEC members voting against Mizzou.

FIFY
texpdx
I am still not sure why people do not see Mizzou as a culture fit and do not see what they bring to the table. After spending a week in rural Missouri recently I think they have way more in common culturally with the South than many on here realize.

As for why the B1G balked on Mizzou and took the corn. The Corn added a whole state to the B1G network. The B1G already had a piece of the Missouri pie with Ilinois. They also added a national brand.

Mizzou is not a bad add to the SEC at all due to the TVs that the whole state will bring.
ccatag
AG
If the numbers for 13 and 14 bring it to $29 million per year, what do the numbers show for teams 15 and 16?
Got a leak on that?
murfvol
The Big 10 Network is already available in Missouri by most cable providers (per Clay Travis). Since it's subscriber based there's nothing to be gained for the Big 10.

If the SEC pools their Tier 3 rights an SEC network would be carried in Missouri when otherwise it might not. It's what TennAg said.

And yeah, there's more money available for an expanded SEC. I don't know if it's $29 million/school for Tier 1 and 2, but it might be.
bbspot
So what happens if we end up getting Missouri and all those numbers pan out. We all get $29 million +/- per year. Next year OU and UNC decide that they both want in. Does Missouri get stuck forever in the east? Does Auburn get its wish? Heck Bama and Auburn could both go east and vandy go west just for competitive balance purposes in that scenario.

Kentucky Mustangs
My general feeling is expressed pretty well in the 3 previous posts quoted below. Now ESPN is reporting that MU will be in the B12 for 2012. Granted, this is not absolute, but coupled with the quotes below, makes the most sense

quote:

chosin

I'm still struggling to see how adding Mizzou adds more to the pie than they'd take away. The can't deliver the KC/STL markets like some seem to think, what fans they have travel very poorly and are pretty fickle, and culturally, they simply don't belong. Their football team is on its way down, and the rest of the athletics are very average. I'm not opposed to them joining for the sake of adding symmetry, and a football opponent we can actually beat - but there are many other teams to get before Mizzou. There's a reason the B1G laughed in their faces - and that was a much better fit. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Mizzou leaked this as propaganda to sway the SEC voters.

SanAntonioAg09

FWIW, one of my professors is a Mizzou alum and he's been pretty plugged in to all of this conference realignment stuff (he's a contracts professor so he got interested due to all the Baylor BS).

From my talks with him, and he is pretty objective about this kind of stuff, he seems to think it may happen.

Honestly, I don't think it's the best move the SEC could make, but if it does happen it isn't terrible. It is a school in a state where there is no other presence, they have a decent football team (sometimes), and a good basketball program (results pending on coaching change). I don't keep up with all of it, but if the schools that have reportedly not opted to join, Mizzou wouldn't be the end of the world. Anybody who wants to abort the Bevo conference is OK in my book, assuming they aren't from Texas or Mobilehoma.

TennAg

The question is whether Missou can deliver a state-wide surcharge from tv subscribers for any SEC network.

dabo man
AG
Mizzou is locked into the Bovine 9 for 2012 because Neinas says so.
Kentucky Mustangs
quote:

dabo man

Mizzou is locked into the Bovine 9 for 2012 because Neinas says so.

Different tone between A&M and MU. With A&M, the B12 home office was they were already gone, yet with MU they have never given off that same vibe.
dabo man
AG
It's only twitter, but Mike DeArmond is the Kansas City Star's Mizzou beat writer. It sounds like Mizzou is negotiating their exit from the Bovine 9.

Kentucky Mustangs
dabo man, which has been my point from the beginning! We are driven by media and "sources" like twitter feeds instead of old fashioned journalists and conference chairmen sourcing the news.
dabo man
AG
Mike DeArmond actually is an "old fashioned journalist." He writes for a newspaper. I do agree that about 75% of what people post referencing a particular tweet turns out to be garbage. It's still better than FlightWare though.
AnalogyAg
my 1st yr contracts prof was Eliz Warren. Brilliant teacher, but tests were very unfair. I'm thinking maybe it was the liberal bent that skewed things for her in that one regard. Still, great prof.
NyAggie
AG
quote:
I'm still struggling to see how adding Mizzou adds more to the pie than they'd take away. The can't deliver the KC/STL markets like some seem to think

they don't have to actually deliver the market in terms of real viewers.

the fact that they are the only major conference college in the state of missouri makes them "deliver" the entire state when it comes time to sit down and negotiate the tv contracts.

now, whether viewwers actually tune in...who cares, we are getting credit for those markets in the tv contract

viva torrente
quote:

This. They just have to be a big state school, so the SEC has an excuse to sell the future SEC network to providers in that state.
Kentucky Mustangs
quote:

viva torrente
posted 12:02p, 10/11/11

quote:

This. They just have to be a big state school, so the SEC has an excuse to sell the future SEC network to providers in that state.

Not so fast my friend, ask Penn State how that worked for them! I think basic carriage rate in PA is 5 cents per subscriber and more like 95 cents per subscriber in OH where member BTN school Ohio State resides. I think Nebraska gets 2 bucks per subscriber because they have a captive market. If MU sits in KC and STL with pro teams in both you could be looking at the 5 cent number, and not the 95 cent number. Certainly, you are not looking at the 2 bucks say a Nebraska can get in Nebraska.
dabo man
AG
What I've read is that the Big Ten network gets 90 cents per subscriber in any state where they have a school and five cents per subscriber in states where they don't.
Bilbo Aggins
Wouldn't something like the big10 network make most of its money off of advertising and not cable rates anyway?
ckwarren33
nolan915: Remember not to regurgitate the whorn talking points on TexAgs until after they are "broken" on ESiPN. That way, none of the Aggies will know ESiPN has bought and paid for the whorns sports book.
Kentucky Mustangs
dabo man,

When the BTN was getting established they had to go market to market and it was my understanding that each state and each company they had to fight had differing issues and values. Looking at it for the state of Missouri you have multiple audiences so it would be the toughest of all. If this was not the case, then the B1G would have added Rutgers (NJ is a large state & fertile recruiting area) to get to 12 and been done with it. Looking at the Missouri TV audience I see many competing eyeballs.

1) BTN for the B1G alumni and tshirt fans living in STL and KC
2) B12 fans for KU and other schools
3) Pro team demand
4) SEC demand

contrast that with say Alabama and Kentucky

1) SEC demand
2) everything else

A state like Kentucky or Alabama can get the highest carriage rates for SEC TV, but a state like Missouri is probably at the bottom of competing groups. The LHN keeps telling folks to call their cable provider to provide leverage to get a premium value (and why adding TCU makes sense because TCU viewers will call their cable provider and up tu's overall numbers).

[This message has been edited by Kentucky Mustangs (edited 10/11/2011 1:59p).]
Mike_e
The rumor I'm hearing now is that FSU has asked the SEC to wait a bit on filling that 14th spot.

If true MU would be 15th or 16th and if so would have to stick with the big whatever another year.

I guess we'll see.
Davism98
AG

http://www.13abc.com/story/15658883/apnewsbreak-document-outlines-mizzou-sec-options

fify
Maroon Dawn
AG
There is no way the SEC would have ever considered us if it didn't mean an immediate renegotiation of their contract with ESPN and a HUGE net increase for all schools.

The other big thing is it allows them to get a SEC network before ESPN tries to come up with Gator or Bama Network and destroy the unity of the conference.

NaturalStateReb
quote:

I'm still struggling to see how adding Mizzou adds more to the pie than they'd take away. The can't deliver the KC/STL markets like some seem to think, what fans they have travel very poorly and are pretty fickle, and culturally, they simply don't belong. Their football team is on its way down, and the rest of the athletics are very average. I'm not opposed to them joining for the sake of adding symmetry, and a football opponent we can actually beat - but there are many other teams to get before Mizzou. There's a reason the B1G laughed in their faces - and that was a much better fit. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Mizzou leaked this as propaganda to sway the SEC voters.

Here's why in two words:

SEC Network

It's coming. Might be a few years before it's all worked out and coming to cable operator near you, but they're furiously working on putting it together in Birmingham.

Missouri brings two things, in order of importance: cable-ready households and additional televsion inventory (so did A&M, btw). It doesn't matter that Mizzou isn't followed closely in KC and STL; it only matters that, with Mizzou, the SEC Network will be offered to cable providers there.

It's a cable channel--eyeballs aren't as important, because it's a pay-by-channel, rather than by advertising model. Being able to sell that channel to households in KC and STL (as well as DFW, HOU, AUS, SAN, etc.) makes Mizzou (and A&M) obviously attractive.

For a conference network, you also need an inventory of things to show. (I think this is the Achilles heel of LHN--how much about one university can there really be?) Mizzou would add inventory to the SEC Network that, aside merely from volume, would have some nice storylines and interesting regional matchups: Mizzou/Arkansas, Mizzou/A&M, Mizzou/Kentucky, just to name a few--all of which would be interesting in football and basketball.

I like West Virginia a little better quality-wise, but it's completely understandable why the league is interested in Missouri.
yeshellyes
AG
quote:
the fact that they are the only major conference college in the state of missouri makes them "deliver" the entire state when it comes time to sit down and negotiate the tv contracts.
This again. How many people actually watch lhn with espn paying the whorns $15M/yr?
TennesseeVol
Mike_e, I'm hearing there are a lot of whisperings between FSU and the SEC. Devil be danged.....I was against the 'Noles coming in but I have changed. I think the national appeal they have would really help us.

[This message has been edited by TennesseeVol (edited 10/11/2011 5:15p).]
(Removed:11023A)
AG
men that conference is going to be BRUTAL!!

That is why I am all for Mizzou joining as the 14th team
keiser

Apart from academics Mizzou doesn't add much value to any conference.

I also don't see A&M bring in that many tv sets to the SEC. If you had a run of 10 years like we just have then maybe you could argue alot of fans from through out the state would watch your games but you haven't.

Sherman has a 500 record at A&M. We Texans don't support that type of mediocrity. A&M has fans that are alumni and thats pretty much it. You dont have the t shirt following that would make your brand more valuable.

dachsie
How do you figure that A&M doesnt bring in that many TV sets? They bring the whole state of Texas
MSU/SECALUM
I think one of the big things that no one is thinking about is the NBC, CBS & other networks are looking to grow their audiences. I think the SEC could do a deal with one or more of these networks that are wanting to compete with ESPN and provide competition to them.

In all actuality the SEC could look to do an SEC Network deal without ESPN being involved so when it comes time to renegoiate these contracts ESPN may not even be in the picture.
yeshellyes
AG
quote:
A&M has fans that are alumni and thats pretty much it. You dont have the t shirt following that would make your brand more valuable.
What a contradiction. Alumni are always supportive while t-shirt fans are fickle. Which makes the brand more valuable?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.