Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Importance of T-Star from a Traditional Aggie

31,079 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Leonardo da vinci
TexasAggie1991
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am a traditional Aggie. I truly believe that the T-Star is best for our University and the following illustrates why. When we were in the old Southwest Conference, every year we had battles between schools within our state. For example, UT vs. UH, A&M vs. Rice, Tech vs. Baylor. These games produced excitement for many within the state for their particular school. What the Big XII Conference has done for UT is made it where there is the perception that when UT plays, it is the “State of Texas ” being represented versus Missouri , Kansas , Nebraska and such. People, who would normally not know UT from Kilgore College , happen to come across a game or hear someone talking and they hear “ Texas ” is playing “ Kansas ” or “ Texas ” is playing Colorado .” It no longer becomes a school thing; it becomes for many a “state pride” thing. In my humble opinion, this is a major problem for Texas A&M.

I was recently speaking with a friend of mine who is an average college football fan. He did not graduate from a major university that plays big time football. Through our friendship he has become an A&M fan and wears an A&M cap often. He and I were recently talking about the difficult time Texas A&M has had in football as of late. He told me that in his opinion it was difficult for the Aggies to recruit, even in Texas , against places that represent their states, like the University of Missouri and the University of Kansas. This stung me. He did not mean any malice or ill-will. He was speaking from the heart as a very average college football fan. We as Aggies should have the same feeling as Longhorns. Our university is a flag-ship university of the state. We should have just as much right to represent the state of Texas as the Longhorns believe they do.

Texas A&M needs to go back to the days of Bear Bryant and start invoking the term “Texas Aggies” a lot more. We truly are the Texas Aggies from Texas A&M. For example, we need more T-shirts and caps with “Texas Aggies” on them instead of Texas A&M Aggies. I am very much a traditionalist, however the “T-Star is a good emblem that helps to have the impact of representing the state. These are public relations things that can help bring many “fans” on board. Even in front of the football uniforms where we have “Texas A&M”, put “Texas Aggies” there. Coaches need to wear coaching shirts for games on television with “Texas Aggies” on them. For example, the T-Star at Reed Arena is excellent.

The use of the term “Texas Aggies” helps to develop a greater statewide fan base. In a twist of terms we are in essence, the “Texas A&M Texas Aggies” or the “Texas Aggies from Texas A&M.” The “T-Star” also seems to represent the state of Texas better because of the “T” for Texas and the “Star” for the Lone Star State . The “T-Star” emblem is a lot more inclusive emblem for Texans than the traditional block aTm.

Another concern that I have is that the current beveled block aTm that appears on ESPN looks skinny and does not show up well at all. A traditional full block aTm without the lines in the T would look much better. The OU symbol for the University of Oklahoma has great fullness in it and is easy to discern on a television screen. However, I truly believe that the "T-Star" would be the best for marketing and recruiting.

95_Aggie
AG
No where did you mention the SEC. No one on this board will think your post is relevant.
Old Main
AG
I like the T-Star and the Block aTm (no bevel). I also like a white aTm inside a maroon State of Texas. This is a really sharp logo our baseball team used for a while. If anyone has the aTm/State of Texas logo please post.

3 William 56
AG
quote:
no longer becomes a school thing; it becomes for many a �state pride� thing. In my humble opinion, this is a major problem for Texas A&M.

which is why us going to the SEC solo would've been such a great move.
Three Run Jack
I agree 100%. The T-Star logo is the best thing for A&M from a marketing standpoint.
Old Main
AG
Again, I do like the T-Star. As I mentioned earlier the State of Texas with the traditional block aTm inside also reinforces the "state pride" aspect of Texas A&M. This is a really bad example (it is actually a trailer hitch cover), but it was the only image I could find. Obviously it needs to be cleaned-up and the aTm should be a little bigger with a block T and centered better.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 6/23/2010 12:17p).]
Three Run Jack
Old Main, I have to disagree with you. The point that the original poster was making is that people that don't care about the schools (A&M & tu) associate the longhorn logo with the State of Texas. Like if someone was vacationing in Texas form the northeast, they might buy a longhorn shirt as a souvenir for their trip, not knowing or caring what school it represented. The aTm logo is school specific. That same vacationer is not going to understand or care what the A and the M are. The aTm logo is not marketable outside the Aggie nation.
The longhorn is seen as a STATE logo. The T-Star can also serve that same propose. The block aTm can not.

[This message has been edited by Three Run Jack (edited 6/23/2010 12:47p).]
Maroon Dawn
AG
Agree 100%, but then anyone who knows me and sees my sig knows that!

Old Main
AG
I understand that everyone has a different opinions about these logos and I respect that. I think the aTm logo inside the State of Texas is more representative of being a flagship university in State of Texas than the T-Star or the block aTm by itself. I think more people are aware of the outline of the State of Texas than the Star in the T-Star.

I understand what you mean when you say that many visitors might buy a longhorn symbol t-shirt as a souvenir from the state of Texas. The sips have done very well with that logo. I'm not sure the T-Star will ever come close to being that kind of symbol, but at least maroon is a better color than burnt orange!

If you had two photos, one of the Star and another with the outline of the State of Texas I think more people would associate the outline of Texas with Texas than the Star. Some people in other parts of the country probably don't know anything about the star, but I bet 95% of the country can identify the outline of Texas. Again, just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 6/23/2010 1:04p).]
Maroon Dawn
AG
But the thing is, if you have someone who is totally ignorant of school affiliation and is just buying a shirt to "rep" the state of Texas, they will not buy something that has the aTm in it.

The T-star has that "Symbol of Texas" feel to it like the cowhead does. The horns know this and that's why they got rid of THEIR long time letter logo, the UT brand. It's still there on vintage stuff, but they realized it was too school specific. It made people think of a school they had no affiliation with, not the state of Texas itself and that's why they abandoned it even though it was their primary mark for almost a hundred years.

Wining hearts and minds is just as important as winning on the battlefield and right now we are losing that battle horribly because we refuse to adapt to a changing environment.

lennonjunior
The shape of Texas looks kind of tilted or something to me. I will try to find a better state image. Also the no bevel image the aTm needs to be cleaned up a bit. Anyways, use 'em if you like 'em.

[This message has been edited by lennonjunior (edited 6/23/2010 1:07p).]
Old Main
AG
Thanks lennonjunior!

I think Texas A&M will always have several logos that sell. What if someone put the T-Star inside the state outline? Can you do that lennonjunior? Would that look too busy? I think it might look sharp.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 6/23/2010 1:10p).]
Spaceball 1
AG
T Star

www.agsforsec.com

"Evil will always win because good is dumb."
Maroon Dawn
AG
I have no objection to having a two pronged marketing strategy:

-Make the aTm logo readily available in B/CS where real Aggies tend to shop anyway and would want it more for tradition (@Austin does this with their UT brand logo)

-Everywhere else (Walmart) where we are trying to appeal to Texans (not Aggies) we stock nothing but T-star to appeal to both school and Texas pride

BQ_90
AG
quote:
However, I truly believe that the "T-Star" would be the best for marketing and recruiting.

We've had this for BB entire time at A&M, it hasn't done squat for recruiting. Come on you think kids look at logo over win loss record

TeLeFaWx impeached.
AG
Its completely irrelevant. An undefeated record and people will wear whatever logo is out there.
Aston04
AG
Probably 2% of non-Aggies know what the freaking T-star is.. aTm, at least has recognition. That's the first step.

Name a popular logo from a college program that is not just the school's letters or a representation of its mascot?

There aren't any.
Old_Ag_91
AG
quote:
Texas A&M needs to go back to the days of Bear Bryant and start invoking the term �Texas Aggies� a lot more. We truly are the Texas Aggies from Texas A&M. For example, we need more T-shirts and caps with �Texas Aggies� on them instead of Texas A&M Aggies. I am very much a traditionalist, however the �T-Star is a good emblem that helps to have the impact of representing the state. These are public relations things that can help bring many �fans� on board. Even in front of the football uniforms where we have �Texas A&M�, put �Texas Aggies� there. Coaches need to wear coaching shirts for games on television with �Texas Aggies� on them. For example, the T-Star at Reed Arena is excellent.

The use of the term �Texas Aggies� helps to develop a greater statewide fan base. In a twist of terms we are in essence, the �Texas A&M Texas Aggies� or the �Texas Aggies from Texas A&M.� The �T-Star� also seems to represent the state of Texas better because of the �T� for Texas and the �Star� for the Lone Star State . The �T-Star� emblem is a lot more inclusive emblem for Texans than the traditional block aTm.

TexasAggie1991, you and I think alike. Maybe it's b/c we are the same year. I have often inquired about the "Texas Aggies" shirts, caps, etc.. but alas I cannot find anything. It appears that our athletic department or marketing department has gotten away from that. I hate it. I want our fitted maroon caps that have the white T like our school used to have. 191% behind you on this.
Bird93
AG
quote:
Like if someone was vacationing in Texas form the northeast, they might buy a longhorn shirt as a souvenir for their trip, not knowing or caring what school it represented.

This is a great point. My job requires me to travel in and out of the Austin Airport frequently. That airport is littered with t.u. gear that's burnt orange and simply says TEXAS. It's all authentic t.u. gear. People bought this stuff hand over fist. I regularly asked people (just ribbing them) why they would buy longhorn gear. The vast majority of the time, they thought they were just buying State of Texas gear. I don't know how you combat this, but I would bet this exact scenario represents a big chunk of change to their gear revenues.

This same gear is plastered in every major airport in the state. If there were a maroon shirt with the T-star (no other writing), I can't help but assume we capture some of that market.
Aston04
AG
^I'm sorry but a T-star- doesn't represent "Texas" to anyone affliated outside of our state.

At best "T-Star" will mean Texas A&M, if we shove that logo down people's throats. It's as if some of you think you could put a state of Texas outline behind the Texas Tech logo and visitors would be all over it.

People want the U of _____ gear if they are buying just to represent stuff from that state. The only exception is places that don't have a major U of _____ school, like LSU.

[This message has been edited by Aston04 (edited 6/23/2010 1:34p).]
Houstonag
AG
The original poster is on target. T star is good, use of the TAM is ok but I prefer the T star being the anchor logo. Embellish a little with the Aggies under the logo but the base logo should be the T star.
TexasAggie1991
Maroon Dawn, Old Ag 91, and Old Main - Thank you for your current responses. As one of you pointed out, when we were young, shoot when I was at A&M, Texas was UT, now it is "Texas." Listen to Mack Brown give an interview. He will use the term Texas. It is great marketing and salesmanship 101.

I am a traditional, conservative Aggie. I have been fortunate in my work to travel to many spots across this state. I am telling you from my heart that we, the Aggie Marketers, have got to do something different. I do not know exactly what the different is, however, I believe the T-Star is a step in the right direction. I know that the I am Inspirations store in College Station has a New Era T-Star Cap out, that another Aggie - old Aggie- buddy of mine said is the sharpest cap he has ever seen.

The T-Star does give us a state emblem. Texas Aggies needs to be brought back, just as the band is introduced as the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band, and the stadium announcer at Kyle says, "That is a Fightin' Texas Aggie First Down!" However, where do you see the term Texas Aggies in the stadium? If I had the authority, I would put it on the home jerseys. I believe it would be an incredible look.
Old Main
AG
The sips aren't using the state outline so maybe we should consider it. It is very recognizable. I still think the T-Star inside the state outline would be sharp.

bearkatag15
Maroon Dawn
AG
and while we're at it, new court for Reed:

deadzip10
AG
I actually thought the T-star was pointless before but I have to admit you make a good argument.

frog_killer
AG
T star is older than the Block ATM.

Cowboy1990
I have always thought the T-star and the Beveled look are much better and cleaner looks than the plain old block aTm. The block looks like something created by an elementary school student with an etch-a-sketch.

My only gripe with the bevel is that only the T is beveled. Need to add it to the A&M as well....
BESCo91
AG
- The term 'Texas Aggies': Completely agree. This needs to appear in whatever media, uniforms, press releases that the university controls. I plan to start using it immediately.
- T-Star: I like it. The shape of the state of Texas is sexy...use it.
- Beveled aTm: Don't like it. Only looks good close up, not from afar or on TV. Loose the bevel.

Gig Em,
BESCo91
lennonjunior

WestAustinAg
AG
I like all of them.

BUt it is essential that we go back to Texas Aggies and rid ourselves of the monikor Texas A&M Aggies.

Byrne made a very unfortunate decision to rename us to the nation. D.U.M.B. and example 21939 that we need a better PR department somewhere within the athletic department.
TOUCHDOWN!
As much as I hate to admit it, we're at a natural disadvantage just because we have the letters "A&M" in our name.

University of Texas > Texas A&M / Texas Tech
Florida > Florida State
Colorado > Colorado State
Oklahoma > Oklahoma State
Kansas > Kansas State
Georgia > Georgia tech
Utah > Utah State
Michigan > Michigan State
Alabama > Auburn

The only exceptions I can think of are Ohio State > Ohio and USC > Cal / UCLA. The vast majority of states, the UNIVERSITY OF ___________ is what people associate with that state.

The only way we can get to the level of tu is by making sure that we don't brand ourselves with the "A&M," we need to brand ourselves as THE school in Texas. The Tstar is our best option for that right now.
Old Main
AG
lennonjunior,

That looks sharp. Can it be reversed (maroon state, white T-Star)?

bleedmaroondad
S
Don't like the beveled "T". Never have.

BTHO everyone and let God sort them out
ham98
Virginia Tech>UVA?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.