Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Importance of T-Star from a Traditional Aggie

31,080 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Leonardo da vinci
85AustinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texas Aggies yes.
T Star no.

There is no appeal to the general public for the T Star. It's plain, ugly, generic, nobody is going to buy it because they think it is somehow connected to the State of Texas or otherwise.
wtxbtx
I totally agree that if you're not from Texas, you think of the longhorns as representative of the state. However, I don't believe using the "T-star" will win the recognition that the longhorn symbol has. For modest sports fans they know the aTm symbol. However, if you start the "t-star" only it confuses people. Some people in Texas don't even associate that symbol with A&M. Perhaps the move to SEC will make A&M more recognizable than any symbol ever could? I'm just not sold on the "T-star". The star reps the Lonestar State and of course the T reps Texas but the maroon is the only thing that makes it A&M.
USDA AG
I would like to find a fitted cap with the "T" star on the front, but googled it and did not come across one. I have several with it on the back however.
gigm09
AG
Why was this thread dug up?
USDA AG
Googled "T Star" and it came up. Besides, I am tired of the endless coaching threads.
Sublette County
AG
Wow, what a ridiculous thread revival.

Time sure have changed though. T-star is on its way out. Aggie Athletics no longer has it plastered all over the site, and it's becoming harder and harder to find clothing with a T-star on it.

Good riddance to a terrible marketing idea.
Ball hittin Boy
Like the T-Star.
We should go to the SEC as the "Texas Aggies".
Someone mentioned running out with the Texas Flag - which I think is good idea.
Great opportunity to upgrade our branding as we head into the new conference.

BillOnCapitolHill
Fightin Texas Aggies + TStar + Ol Sarge = Branding
cigaraggie
AG
Someone at the University can fine tune this but I read somewhere recently that the University is now allowing the marketing of "Texas Aggies" again after having removed it for a number of years. I personally love "Texas Aggies" - you don't have to spend time explaining what A&M is or isn't. And it looks damn good....
hurst03
AG
NO BEVEL!!
Goose
AG
quote:
Fightin Texas Aggies + TStar + Ol Sarge = Branding

Count me in.
tbirdspur2010
AG
OP, couldn't agree more. Said it for years! Gotta push the T-Star and Texas Aggies brand.
clintron
AG
The t-star is so outdated. We have to evaluate our target market. In the late 90's the T-Star would have been a great target for middle aged "country" people(like my parents who have that texas star all over their house). I believe it alienates people that have different styles. This is why a more generic logo.. with no bevel is better. It appeals to a broader audience.

See some of the most recognizable and popular logos in history: Apple, Pepsi, Nike, McDonalds Arches, I heart NY, Sony. These are all extremely generic designs that have lasted(some with minor adjustments) for a really long time.

The Oregon "O" is another great example. You see that O, and you know it means Oregon.
USDA AG
I thought the "O" meant Oakley.....
just saying.
BillOnCapitolHill
Is clintron saying "tstar is old and simple" ergo bad then explains why old and simple is good.
PascalsWager
AG
We do this and open the floodgates. Whatever ancient entitlement to 'Texas Aggies' you may claim, its just not worth it. Soon you'll have the Florida Gators playing the Florida Hurricanes, Florida Seminoles, and Florida Bulls.
BillOnCapitolHill
pascal you are a moron.

We have always been the Fightin Texas Aggies. This "Texas A&M Aggies" is more retarded than a child between Chaz Bono and Lady Gaga
clintron
AG
not at all Bill. I'm just suggesting my opinion (with a marketing background) on the subject. I realize that the t-star is popular amongst a certain target market, and respect that. (Also, Texas State has really been pushing the star since they changed their name from swt a few years back.)

I don't think as wide of an audience will latch on to the T-Star though, which is why I think we should go in a different direction.

Also, the oregon O, when in either yellow or green would more likely be associated with Oregon than Oakley to anyone who somewhat follows sports. I think Oregon has done an incredible marketing job in the past few years.

I don't think the T-Star is terrible, just think we could come up with many better options.

Maroon Dawn
AG
tu got rid of their traditional UT brand for the cow head because they realized that the UT letters are the symbol of a school you didn't go to while the cow head was a symbol of Texas.

We need the same thing. I get that not everyone like T-star, but what id we appropriated a similar, universal symbol for the state of Texas, one you already see everywhere and like T-star is based on our/the stat'es seal?

something likle this:

Its a logo everyone can behind, and you can all sorts of things to the circle like "Texas Aggies" or just leave it as is and sell it to tourists in airports. It's a viable alternative to the cow head as a logo for the sdtate and school.

[This message has been edited by Maroon Dawn (edited 12/5/2011 12:23p).]
BillOnCapitolHill
For the longest I had no idea TState was doing the star. Even with their "extensive rebranding" with a star, espn is still using the bobcat head.

The issue of tstar vs aTm is an issue of sleekness imo. aTm is a fat logo. It is disjoint and uses multisized lettering. aTm is not a suitable logo, imo. tstar is more sleek and is one simple image.

Its simple. It fits anywhere. It represents our state in the SEC.
texpdx
From a brand perspective, aTm is well known across the country. There is no need to try and re-brand with the T-star or Texas Aggies. You dilute the brand with crap like T-Star. I am ok and like with Texas Aggies; however, people have heard of Texas A&M Aggies, not Texas Aggies.

[This message has been edited by texpdx (edited 12/5/2011 12:35p).]
Maroon Dawn
AG
^ sip
Davism98
AG
I understand your argument for more use of the phrase "Texas Aggie".

However, you completely lost me in an attempt to connect T-Star to the phrase "Texas Aggie". I do not see an equivalency there.

I get that the T would be easily a stand in for Texas, but really you think a 5 pointed star that could easily and by itself also stand in for "Texas" (lone star state, hello?) somehow will translate for folks to "Aggie".

To me, T-star just says the Texas Texans or Texas Texas or Texas Stars. It does not say Texas Aggie.

IMO.

You argument tieing the two inextricably together needs work.
goose_
AG
quote:
I think Oregon has done an incredible marketing job in the past few years.

Step one of that marketing job was to win a whole bunch of football games.

Success on the field (and in some cases court) is what causes a school and their logo/mascot/etc. to become popular. A popular logo/mascot/etc. will not result in success on the field (and in some cases court).

BillOnCapitolHill
The biggest problem aTm has is its a full school name in letters and its cluttered. T for texas, a/m for A&M. It much different than Michigan using a simple M or Oregon using a simple O. Texas is using a cowshead. Miami is a U. We are abbreviating a 5-syllable name into a 3-part image. And I think thats why it is a poor logo.

Hell even looking at Texas State, they use a bobcat head or a star and it is miles ahead of "TSU."

aTm may be the school name represented the best way, however logos are not always the school name. And one could argue the most recognizable logos are images rather than 1,2, or 3 capital letters.

clintron
AG
Bill and Maroon, you both make good points. I also agree that we really need to pick one thing and roll with it. Put it everywhere we can.
kblake
May have been already mentioned but what about a plain ol block T....just like Tennessee. Simple. Who need a star?

[This message has been edited by Kblake (edited 12/5/2011 12:51p).]
BillOnCapitolHill
Davism the tstar does not say "texas aggies" The symbol was never meant to say such a thing. It is a logo our university has used forever. It is my suggestion as an alternative to the aTm. The only other alternative is OlSarge.

"Texas Aggies" has always been our moniker. "Good luck to dear old Texas Aggies" is in our ancient War Hymn. I am personally disgusted every time a news organization says "Texas A&M Aggies." This is improper. The team that takes the field is often disjoint from the university name like the Red Raiders. Then you ask why not just be the Aggies, well as I mentioned and can provide tons of black and white photos we are the Texas Aggies. Secondly there are 4 other schools that are Aggies, one of em is a state over. "Texas Aggie" is traditional, it is as descriptive as "TexasA&M Aggie", it establishes that this is a unique mascot and it doesnt add three unnecessary syllables.
Sublette County
AG
It's shocking to me that anyone actually thinks the T-star looks good.
BillOnCapitolHill
quote:
May have been already mentioned but what about a plain ol block T....just like Tennessee. Simple. Who need a star?

A block T is super generic. And other schools have gone retro and just put a simple letter on the hat. I have seen a longhorn with a white cap and a burnt orange serif T on the front with a cowshead on the back. The reverse of this:

Temple, Tennessee and Texas are all playing with variations on a simple "T". The question is if we had a maroon one, would ours be unique? If we simply went with any other image (tstar or olsarge) you bypass this issue of unique and recognizable instantly.
Maroon Dawn
AG
We will always have an issue with a letter logo because our name is awkward to put into letters.

We will always have an issue with symbol logos because "Aggie" is not something you can draw a picture of and be instantly recognized like you can with a longhorn, gator, razorback or spartan.

Personally (and yes I know it's blasphemy) I think we whiffed big time when we had the chance to change the name from Aggies to something else that is more Texan. Personally, I think Rangers would have been awesome, both as a double tribute both to Texas history and our military history (Rudder's Rangers)

However, since that point is moot, it is important that if we are going to be in the SEC and represent Texas we need a logo that says "Texas". We need Joe Texas to look at the game and want to his state against the state Louisinana not, the state of Louisinana against "some school located in Texas I didn't go to".

I get that the T-star isn't perfect. Thats why I suggested we adopt the other universal of Texas: The Texas Star

Gte rid of every other logo this school has ever come up with and plaster it on evrything the way tu plasters their cow head on everything.

It screams "THIS IS THE STATE OF TEXAS" and thast is more important than some guy from Syracuse NY instantly knowing "OK, thats Texas A&M" (he can read it on the jersey)

BillOnCapitolHill
civil must be new army

BillOnCapitolHill
Or you could get rid of the contrasted beveling:

AgCatch22
AG
Nooooo, bevel T Star.
BillOnCapitolHill
Personally the only improvement to the tstar, imo, is to get rid of the beveling of the T only. Leave the beveling of the star.

It keeps the star in front of the T instead of it getting melted into the T or put behind it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.