Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Importance of T-Star from a Traditional Aggie

31,075 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Leonardo da vinci
AgCatch22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That baseball T star looks good.

There has to be a way to incorporate the T-star into something people like to look at and want to be associated with. We just have to keep trying/creating.

BillOnCapitolHill
Catch dont you see why its superior to the aTm as a logo. (even if there was no baseball behind it) It is a solid, one-piece (non-disjoint) symbol, which is something aTm can never be. If we were hokey and chose the thumbs-up as a logo, it would be better branding than the aTm, imo.
Davism98
AG
I can relate to the need to be Texas Aggies, and not just Aggies as I live in El Paso. If you say you are an Aggie or an Aggie fan, the local assumption is you mean New Mexico State, which is approximately the distance to from CS to Austin away from El Paso, and is considered a long standing rivalry to the UTEP Miners. Texas A&M has a very miniscule presence out this way, so "Aggie" just doesn't cut it. Also, since NMSU also uses the same color scheme, that doesn't help either. "Texas Aggies" is definitely the way to go. It is well placed in school song (12th Man ... we have sung that a bit too much this year, so we should all know it well ... as well as the war hymn as mentioned) and tradition, it makes sense, and it is not confusing.

Texas A&M Aggies is dumb. And confusing. And redundant, while also being repetitive and redundant. Umm yeah.

Still, I can't say I much care for T-star. Old Sarge isn't so bad though.
Mule
AG
"Texas Aggies" yes, yes and more yes!!! Agree, it needs to be in the endzones!

When we start winning, we will be recognized as "Texas Aggies" and not "Texas A&M Aggies"-which is very awkward to say.

Just put "Aggies" below the T-star and everyone will know what it represents! Do not need the "Texas" on top of the T-star-appears too cluttered.

Mule
AG
Another consideration:

Lose the star from the T-star and simply have an old school blocked maroon T with"Aggies" across the bottom of the T.

Simple and identifiable.
BillOnCapitolHill
Thats fine for specialty cloths but what about stickers and babyclothes, etc.

Having 6-letters spelled out in tiny print (tiny enough to fit inside the tail of a serif T) is problematic for merchandise.

Just imagine Tennessee's logo with VOLS in the bottom. Even that would be hard to pull off and thats 4 letters.

Our block T doesnt really give us plenty of room

[This message has been edited by BillOnCapitolHill (edited 12/5/2011 2:34p).]
Menartx
AG
Bring on the T-Star

CC Creations
For those of you who are looking for flags with non-beveled ATM and T-stars, we have both

You can get them here:
http://www.cctentsale.com/TentSale/Products.aspx?CatId=110

Sponsor Message: CC Creations - Official Apparel Partner of TexAgs.com | CC's Tent Sale is now online
BillOnCapitolHill
BTW what was CCC's cut for their efforts in the wildfire relief 'fundraiser'?
USDA AG
CC, we need some maroon "T" Star caps. Can you help a brother out?
Chughes88
AG
Totally agree with this. The T star is unique, professional looking and more of an "emblem" as opposed to the block aTm. I say we just make a total transformation and add the new logo to go with our new coach and conference. Why not start completely anew, right?
Mr. Havok
AG
T star.
AggieTravis12
AG
I agree with the a movement to more T-Star branding. As much as we may despise tu, they have branded wonderfully. While the longhorn emblem makes me wanna punch children, I have to agree its use on helmets, merchandise, and stickers is both simple and sleek. The lack of detail somehow adds to the sophistication. With the generation of kids we want to recruit, looking "cool" is important. While I love our traditions, we have to preserve them without letting them hold us back. I'm a Proud Fightin' Texas Aggie and I approve this message.

[This message has been edited by AggieTravis12 (edited 12/5/2011 5:18p).]
LincolnBorglum79
AG
Just put the word TEXAS on our helmet. tu fans would go crazy, but there are no other SEC schools in Texas and never will be any.
Token
AG
This is one hell of a thread. I'm enjoying the points being made by both sides
BillOnCapitolHill
I could totally abandon the T-star for Ol Sarge. Sarge would be a smooth transition to "Fightin' Texas Aggies"
Steve McQueen
AG
A&M missed the chance long ago to become Texas State. That would have been our best best at branding.

Penn St.
Florida St.
Louisiana St.
Ohio St.

To a lesser extent -
Michigan St.
Mississippi St.
Kansas St.
Arizona St.
etc...
Sublette County
AG
aggieband 83
AG
If you have to use the "T-Star" then it has to be the one on the official seal of Texas A&M University. Please stop using that crappy thing that is found on all of the different sports teams uniforms. Get rid of the "beveled" T. That thing belongs in Lubbock.

Texas A&M is a solid university....use the SOLID block T!
BillOnCapitolHill
If you use a solid block T there will be a "who is that" question for years. Is that Toledo? Is that Tulsa?

It just too damn generic for branding, unless you get into ridiculous fonts. But the moment you do a unique "T" it wouldnt be a block T, which apparently is sacred.
fulshearAg96
AG
TAMU has a degree for this called marketing. Pays about 25k a year
FormMorm
Texas A&M offers Marketing? O.o
TAMUG2016
The T star is definitely best to represent the state. It could easily replace the aTm especially now that we're in the SEC. When they see the star they will know they're playing the school from Texas.
pv
Aggie2012thman
Our branding sucks!

Say what you want about tu, but their logo is easily placed and recognized on merch. Our logo is just too cumbersome.

The T-Star is a step in the right direction. It looks good on a shirt/helmet, and it can be easily recognized.

Bama just has an 'A,' Auburn has an 'AU,' The T-star would make the statement: Texas+the Texas star= TAMU, the only Texas school in the SEC.

When we hit that national stage, it would make us more marketable.
Harvard_Ag
AG
Interesting thread. Thanks for reviving it.

How about a maroon star with a maroon line circle around it? This would sort of look like an old sheriff's badge.

Why not more use of the state flag? How about the "Come and Take It" flag from Gonzales? The first flag of the republic of Texas, which has a star surrounded by the letters spelling texas in the gaps of each prong of the star?

And it will be interesting to see if the new AD brings back Old Sarge. It sure seems like some changes are afoot.

rebelAg02
Agree with original post. We need to update lots of things.
DocCrowe
AG
Went to AO online favorites.

T-star - 0 items
Block ATM - 8 items +/- (pics were small)
Beveled - 6 items +/-
Texas Aggies or Aggies - 2 items
Block ATM in State of Texas - 1 item
Texas A&M - 2 items
Block T - 1 item

Aggies reveal their preferences. What's in your closet?

Stemp
S
FYI, the T-Star is no longer being used by Texas A&M and has been removed from the approved logos.

[This message has been edited by Stemp (edited 6/15/2012 3:24p).]
Maroon Dawn
AG
A&M marketing sucks. Too many old Ags who cling to the old AMC, SWC mentality in charge who don't understand how important it is for a public school to brand itself in a way that appeals to as many people as possible.

Imagine if there was a school called Ohio Military College that was 7K, all male all military...and in 50 years it grew from that to Ohio State, a massive, coed world class university...but the folks in charge were still trying to market and sell it as Ohio Military College.

You'd think they were nuts....and yet thats exactly what we are trying to do.

I've given up trying to talk sense to them and get them to market themselves as the representative of the our great state instead of as the little folksy backwoods military school it was in their days, but to no avail.

[This message has been edited by Maroon Dawn (edited 6/15/2012 3:36p).]
BCO07
AG
aTm in state outline is pretty busy. Just a block T would look better
012-MAN
AG
Marroon Dawn,

I really like your logo there. That has legs to run on.

I tried stealing it for my signature, but I havnt figured that part out.

012-MAN
AG
Like the original Texas flag back in the day, used to say texas between each of the star's

It could easily have some hidden meaning as well.

njohn87
AG
I don't care much about the T Star one way or another, but recruits unable to associate Texas A&M with the State of Texas may have trouble meeting academic thresholds anyway.
Harvard_Ag
AG
Wow, Maroon Dawn, your signature is exactly what I was talking about, except with the colors reversed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.