Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

did gen van alstyne resign?

30,188 Views | 270 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by DevilD77
AEK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MG Rubenstein will be taking over the AMEDD Center and School at Ft Sam in late spring, so he is out of the running for at least 2 more years.

T. Mike has issues as has been mentioned, not to mention the fact that Dr. Gates asked him to step down from his position as COS of the AF.

Also there was another AG GO (who was retired but had the job before Mosley) that is being investigated along with him in regards to the shady contract business while he was running the show.

How much is a witch hunt remains to be seen, and you cant believe everything the Washington Post has to say...see the Walter Reed debacle.

[This message has been edited by AEK (edited 1/26/2010 6:50p).]
HBCanine08
AG
hey DogCo, D-2 here. I know exactly what you mean about the UC "jealousy" thing. It was a reserved right to smoke our arses.

[This message has been edited by HBCanine08 (edited 1/26/2010 8:57p).]
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:38p).]
HBCanine08
AG
Oh, GI, you made me crack the hell up with that
(.) bit.
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:38p).]
HBCanine08
AG
wouldn't know. I didn't get "chosen"
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:39p).]
DevilD77
AG
All the real men were in the Cav! And if you weren't FDT, you were a slacker!

[This message has been edited by DevilD77 (edited 1/26/2010 10:07p).]
HBCanine08
AG
I got kicked off from FDT after my first semester due to grades...later on I found out I would've been the Nut if I had stayed in. It still hurts to think about that one.
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:39p).]
WildAg08
AG
DevilD, I agree. As my younger brother would say, "It takes a man to ride shotgun."
tiger08
Wow, some people's bitterness at not being chosen lasts well past 1999/2000, huh GI? This is why people can't have nice discussions about corps things. Some people took the corps way too seriously and still do obviously. Oh, and don't get pissed at all the RV's for your not getting selected, your BQ upperclassmen picked which BQ's got it. You BQ friends hated it? What kept them there then? Its called volunteers for a reason?

All joking aside. No one in Congress or the Pentagon would give two sh*ts about who became our commandant. It is an civilian position that goes to a retired military officer. Why would the pentagon care? And if it did, would Dr. Gates really begrudge A&M anything?

In the end, someone who is 5 or 10 years removed from the corps is not going to know who will be the best for the job or what needs to be done to fix the corps. Especially if you have lived away from Texas or A&M for so long. I mean, being a goldbar recruiter is a big deal and all, but it doesn't make one an experty in Trigon politics.

We should be circumspect before we start critizing people there, people who "need" to be there, and their motivations.

[This message has been edited by tiger08 (edited 1/26/2010 11:42p).]
Jock 07
AG
so tiger = a ( O ) ?
HBCanine08
AG
lol
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:40p).]
HBCanine08
deadzip10
AG
I have to agree that the RV comment was out of line...They have have their problems but it does not justify that comment...I might add it does make you look pretty bitter.

HBCanine08
AG
^ ( O )
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:42p).]
HBCanine08
AG
I LOLed in class. Oops, showing emotion.
jh0400
AG
Aha, GI. You messed up real bad by messing with the RVs. You should have known better.
tiger08
GI,

Uncalled for so edited out.

[This message has been edited by tiger08 (edited 1/28/2010 12:59p).]
Preferred Nomenclature
AG
RV's
brown5cow
Supposed e-mail from Van Alstyne's wife:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/blogs/burkablog/?p=6027

jh0400
AG
Tiger,

I was there in '01 when the person you are referring to was supposedly building a rep in the trigon as a gold bar recruiter and don't remember anything. Perhaps you could jog my memory a tad.

GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:43p).]
jh0400
AG
Browncow,

I read the blog you linked. I would be more inclined to believe it if the source wasn't so easy to discredit.
tiger08
GI,

Then I humbly apologize to you. I could have sworn your initials were DF.
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:43p).]
ord04
http://www.texasmonthly.com/blogs/burkablog/?p=6027#more-6027

Very interesting. . . . . Even though this hippy has his own axe to grind, I hope what it insinuates about Bonfire and the Corps is true.

tiger08
Ah, ok, I had the right guy then, just a piece of erronius information.
dag07
AG
Can anyone explain the Joe Weber "coed groping" allegations? What's that all about?
tiger08
To his point about the corps: There is not much a Commadant can do to "fix" the corps. The Corps reputation at A&M never had anything to do with academics. The corps was known as being a producer of tough, competent officers. In fact, the Corps prides itself at being the anti-academy. If the Corps wanted to be more "professional" and a better academic experience, they would break the outfit structure and move cadets to new usints every year. But we all know that won't happen because of tradition.

If A&M was known for producing the most brilliant strategists during WWII, then maybe things would be a little different. But when cadets go to reunions, or parent's weekend dinners, or muster luncheons, they hear stories about how the Corps used to be tough. How you used to get crapped out for hours, upon hours, how your buddies had to do stupid stuff with drunk upperclassmen. No one sits around and talks about CQ.

Basically, it will take a lot more than one man to turn around the culture of the Corps. It will take all the Ol Ags telling the new guys that they don't have to try to live up to, or better yet, they shouldn't be like Ol Army.

[This message has been edited by tiger08 (edited 1/27/2010 3:40p).]
jh0400
AG
quote:
It will take all the Ol Ags tell the new guys that they don't have to try to live up to Ol Army.

Grammar fail. Care to rephrase?
Ambres
AG
Folks,
Regardless of how you feel about old army traditions and new army umm easy living, the CORPS is always going to be changing with the culture and times.

For instance, I know many people that hate having women in their outfit. They see it as a weakness that hurts the male bonding.

And in that regards, well i won't deny there is some truth; however, we aren't trying to create a culture of Lord of the Fly. Leadership back in the 80s understood that our military is integreted. I myself have worked with many top notch female enlisted and officer and I will tell you that my corps experience with female cadets hurt me. Took me a while to lose some of my prejudice I develope against WAGs.

I know this is but one example and their are people out their reading this screaming no no no.. guess what.. move on.

So if the goal is to build top notch leaders, then we have to be in a Corps that moves forward. Now that being said, you also have to have a develop tactic on building leadership. Looking back now, we were very good at punishing people and making their life hell but we never really push the purpose. (Note: that what got FDT disbanded.. lost sight of the why)

So my point: The Corps must be an organization that takes risk, teaches it members to be leaders but at the same time it must evolve. (I said earlier i hated Hopgood.. still do .. he took away every event in the corps that made it enjoyable so the SUCK didn't seem so bad.. in the end their was just a lot of punishment) And as you recall during the Hopgood era.. the Corps dwinded and lost a lot of cadets. (see 96 and 97 attrition rating.. horrid)

[This message has been edited by Ambres (edited 1/27/2010 4:15p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.