Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

did gen van alstyne resign?

30,331 Views | 270 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by DevilD77
HBCanine08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought GVA reported directly to the president
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:44p).]
HBCanine08
AG
thank you, sir. I think it was just his time. He tried to resign before.
jh0400
AG
quote:
like it had been every year except under Murano.

Didn't this have something to do with the ranks of the individuals holding the office.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that for whatever reason (I don't claim to be an expert on flag officers) that Lt. Gen. Van Alstyne couldn't report to Lt. Gen. Weber.
HBCanine08
AG
I'm no expert either, but does it matter that Weber's position is a civilian one?
Jock 07
AG
from my understanding it's more that he wouldn't rather than he couldn't
HBCanine08
AG
Army, USMC conflict?
dchack1971
AG
You need a leader that understands the new military and the students of today we have one already on campus.
Jock 07
AG
more like an O9/O9 conflict
HBCanine08
AG
Are you nominating yourself dc?
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:44p).]
deadzip10
AG
Personally I would support Weber having met him but I think he's more useful to the Corps where he is now...find someone else who he can work with to fill the commandant position...
tiger08
Service in Iraq and Afghansitan would do little to help prepare cadets for the furture as leaders in the military. Iraq and Afghansitan are changing so quickly, by the time a freshman goes through the corps, through his requisite military training and finally sees action, the circumstances of each will be greatly different.

Plus, the problems a general are facing in iraq of Afghanistan are a little different than what a junior officer would face. Not to mention, Iraq and Afghanistan are far different for the USN and USAF than they are for the USMC or USA.
jh0400
AG
quote:
2. Any retired officer who hasn't served at least one tour in Iraq or Afghanistan cannot possibly understand the new military and what we are preparing our cadets to enter into.

If you can't find a recently retired flag officer that has recently completed a tour of command in Iraq or Afghanistan, would filling the ranks of the Commandants staff with O-3's and field grade officers that were not only Corps alumni but recent combat veterans not accomplish the desired outcome? I seem to remember a fair number of Corps alumni from the classes of '89 to '92.

I thought those officers did a great job in protecting the Corps from the Generals Hopgood and Johnson.

[This message has been edited by jh0400 (edited 1/26/2010 12:21p).]
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:45p).]
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:45p).]
tiger08
quote:
The last two Commandants were class of '65 and '66 respectively. They spent their Company Grade years in Vietnam and were Generals in Desert Storm. Both retired in the 90's.

The one that many are lobbying for to be the new Commandant is class of '77, a current Major General, and was both a Battalion and Brigade Commander in Iraq.

My point is that we do NOT need another Vietnam-era commandant.

Thanks for explaining your point. I missed it in the other post. I agree with you, but only because we don't need someone older than most students grandfather on the Quad.
culdeus
AG
Wow, this thread is epic compared to the GB one.

The next guy in charge is going to have to find a way to get class sizes back to 750+. Something radical will have to be done or at some point the university is going to come calling for the real estate that is going largely underutilized.

While potentially flammable perhaps they need to on a trial basis start a few non-reg only outfits with less interference from the trigon. The main issue starting from Chopgood and moving forward was the retention goals got in the way of maintaining the tradition that us non-regs were trying to uphold. They really dictated the way they wanted the Corps to be run through the contract cadets.

If it turns part of the quad into a frat in uniform so be it. The thing is on track to completely disband except for the *********dog outfit and the queers.
JessieM
I can tell you exactly why they went to paid recruiters.

While some people understood how important it was, a number of the corps considered Phone Push to be a huge waste of their time. Consequently they wouldn't do a good job of following through on the lists, or they would call a small number of people and spend the rest of the time goofing off. Also the smaller the outfit was, the more Phone Push duty individual cadets had, which when a few cadets in the unit were unmotivated could make a big difference in recruitment success. That wasn't the main reason why they switched over, though.

They found out that some cadets were not calling any of the women on the sheets. Others were calling the women and telling them not to join the corps. In some cases this was unofficial outfit policy. An extremely small number of cadets were even asking what race or religion the candidates were and advising minorities not to join. In some cases a potential candidate would get a phone call advising them not to join one week and then a followup call from a different cadet a couple of weeks later with a completely different attitude.

Also very little Phone Push training was done, and so some callers would make wildly inaccurate statements about corps policy, administrative policy, academics, etc. Some had poor phone etiquette and didn't make a good impression on candidates or parents. There was very little that could be done to discipline those who were not taking recruiting seriously or were abusing the system.

In the end they decided to go to paid recruiters because they were objective, received training, they could be a consistent contact for potential cadets, they weren't losing study time by calling, and if they screwed up or didn't do their jobs they could be fired. Shame it had to be that way, but it's a pretty prime example of a small number of cadets screwing it up for everyone.
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:46p).]
culdeus
AG
yeah dnc. I forget some of the terminology after 10 years.

I do think they sugar coat the expectations to some parents. What's so stunning is it's totally VOLUNTARY. Walk off at any time with nothing held against you. Hell, you get priority housing walking out of there.

musicman55
AG
I've been in sales and marketing my entire career, and I can attest that that LAST thing you want is untrained, inexperienced people handling your telephone contact with potential recruits/customers/clients. The cadets were pulled into that effort basically because they were free, or damn close to it. They had no training, and believe me there is an art to an effective sales/recruiting phone call. The hard and soft costs of getting the contact and personal info for the prospects are way too high to have the potential of the prospect totally or even partially diminished by a poorly handled recruiting phone call. There is certainly a place for cadets in the recruiting process... There's not a better recruiter on a face-to-face basis with a high school student than a cadet in his/her midnight. But the cadets, IMO, don't have the time with all their other studies and duties to be properly trained to handle the phone work. This issue is just one big example of the tremendous need for some professionalism to be brought to the entire recruting process for the Corps. We're not going to see any sustained improvement in recruiting results without it.

Make no mistake... the lack of recruiting results over the last few years is one really big reason for the events of the last few days.
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 5:00p).]
DogCo84
AG
My early '80s memory re: upperclassmen (UC) smoking other outfit's fish...

My fish year, we lived on the 4th floor of Dorm 9..L2 was beneath us and two Band units were on the 1st and 2nd floor (Artillery Band?). We were pretty close with the Band fish and other fish in the (then) 4th BN (B2, L2 & F2). We'd often get hijacked on our way up the stairs...mostly because we were required to speak to every UC we encountered. This led to the inevitable fish screwups followed by the predictable UC behavior. I don't EVER recall being dropped by another outfit's UC...it was usually more on the line of being "toyed-with". If they ever had anything SIGNIFICANT to correct with us, I believe we heard about it at the next meal when a "come by" would be issued by our favorite pisshead. Oh...those "family-style" meals!

I can remember several times when L2 or Band UC stuck up for us D2 fish with UC from other dorms. One time in particular, a Band zip (who I knew from Dorm 9) came to my aid during a problem on the SMU campus. That said, our OWN UC guarded their right to discipline us pretty jealously...most outside UC just didn't cross that line.

[This message has been edited by DogCo84 (edited 1/26/2010 3:52p).]
DogCo84
AG
And I'd seriously support MG Rubenstein for Commandant. I admire that man greatly. Isn't he slotted to become CG of the AMEDD Center and School in April?

[This message has been edited by DogCo84 (edited 1/26/2010 3:49p).]
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 5:01p).]
WildAg08
AG
How many D1-L1-K1 '08 guys are on here anyway?

I know many people are on texags during the workday but it would appear that certain outfits are disproportionately represented. Bunch of of slackers.

You guys obviously have the same attitude now in the professional world [if you even graduated] that you had back in the Corps.

jh0400
AG
quote:
You guys obviously have the same attitude now in the professional world [if you even graduated] that you had back in the Corps.

C- troll at best.
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 5:02p).]
WildAg08
AG
This thread had begun to foster a somewhat rational discussion. Being a loyal texags reader I could not allow that to continue. Does this diqualify me from holding a leadership position?
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 5:02p).]
jh0400
AG
Do you have a yellow and white cord?
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 5:03p).]
WildAg08
AG
A white and yellow cord? LMAO.

While I enjoy the texags community. I must say that I am completely uncomfortable with discussions about my arsehole.
Jock 07
AG

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 1/26/2010 6:22p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.