Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

did gen van alstyne resign?

30,406 Views | 270 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by DevilD77
Angry Beaver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Which, IIRC, was part of her response to being forced to make Weber the VP for Student Affairs. So this just strikes me as ratifying Perry's placement of his buddies at TAMU.

That's what I thought too. If anyone was cleaning house, it was Murano.
Hellbent
AG
OhioAg. I believe that Pat Gamble is the only 4 star from the Class of '67. Sylvester retired a 3 star. Gamble is head of the Alaskan Railroad System and I doubt that he would be interested in the Commandant's job. He was Commandant of the Air Force Academy at one time during his AF career.
As for Van Alstyne...I think he has done a very good job. He took over when the Corps was in free fall and being run only by CT's. He instituted grade requirements for command positions and generally put the Corps on more of a leadership oriented path. He worked hard and was genuinely interested in betterment of the Corps.
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:31p).]
WildAg08
AG
Van Alstyne is actually a very good guy. I spent more time in his office than most and I can say that he genuinely cared for his cadets. At the end of my Corps career when I walked off the stage he said, "You don't know how much fun it's been watching you go through the Corps. Don't be a stranger." Followed by a hug.

Unfortunately for us all The Corps is a dying breed at Texas A&M and his overrall expectations cannot be met. If he were at one of the academies his system may have worked wonders. We may never know.

Also, The Corps will never be what it was. I am New Army, luckily I had many buddies who were 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th gen Aggie Cadets, but even I can see the difference in the general make-up of the Corps.

In the word of my cousin class of '95 "When I walked across the stage I heard a thud, later on I heard it was Old Army. Old Army died the day I left."
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:32p).]
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
He instituted grade requirements for command positions

Right, because grades had never been a requirement before. That was heavy sarcasm if you couldn't tell.

And the Corps was being run by the CTs? THE HORROR! We obviously can't have a leadership lab where the guys in it get a chance to do any leading.

How about the more accurate description of the VanA reign of terror?

He turned the commandants office into a retirement home for all his buddies, and brought a level of micromanagement not seen since Stalin's Soviet Union. He took all possible decisions away from the cadets, went ballistic over the tiniest complaint from a worried mommy, and put commissars (bulls) into every dorm to be Big Brother.
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:32p).]
K2-HMFIC
The emphasis on grades had to occur. It was never taken seriously enough by the outfits.
GI
deleted

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:33p).]
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:33p).]
puravida2010
From a cadet's perspective:

LTG Van Alstyne has been an outstanding Commandant. He is arguably one of the best Commandants the Corps of Cadets has ever had. Many cadets, COL Betty, and Col Groves will not hesitate to state the same. It's due to many measurable reasons. Just to list a few...

1. Leadership Development: The General lets the Corps up to the cadets. Simple as that. However, there is no doubt who is the Commandant. The General has also built up the formal Leadership Development Program that has benefited cadets in Corporate America and our nation's military.

2. Fundraising: LTG Van Alstyne knows how to raise money. He is able to seek and secure donations and scholarships for the Corps in an unprecedented manner.

3. Academics: The average GPR of the Corps has increased significantly over his tenure as Commandant. He has also implemented academic programs and established relationships with faculty across campus.

4. Recruiting: LTG Van Alstyne recognizes that you have to actively seek and target people for the Corps of Cadets. No longer can the Corps use the recruiting method used decades ago, "sit back and watch as people join." The University has changed.

5. Preparing the Corps for the Future: The General has set the Corps up for success not only for the present but also the future. His impact at Texas A&M will be felt for years to come.

To put it simply, this is a major loss for the University and the Corps of Cadets. I sincerely hope he continues to stay active within the Business School as well as the Corps of Cadets.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
1. Leadership Development: The General lets the Corps up to the cadets. Simple as that.

I'm sorry, what planet was this on, again?
quote:
2. Fundraising: LTG Van Alstyne knows how to raise money.
Wonder how long that would last with the way he was infuriating a lot of old Ag cadets?
quote:
4. Recruiting: LTG Van Alstyne recognizes that you have to actively seek and target people for the Corps of Cadets.

Recruit, yes. Recruit to a specific outfit? Not only no, but HELL NO. I'm not sure if this started with VanA, but recruiting people to certain outfits is one of the most self-destructive things the Corps is currently doing.

Watch E-2 march in with 150 cadets, while other outfits have 20 people.

Stupid.
Stupid.
Stupid.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 1/24/2010 11:46p).]
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:34p).]
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:34p).]
puravida2010
CanyonAg77:

I guarantee you that cadets at Texas A&M have more authority than all the Service Academies, The Citadel, VMI, Norwich etc. This was echoed by cadets at West Point when they came down for the Army/A&M game in Fall 08.

I encourage you to look at the stats in terms of academics, recruiting, and fundraising. The Corps is handsdown in the best shape it's been in years. I'm a cadet in the present. When did you graduate, sir?

In response to recruiting, outfits recruit on their own initiative on top of the many Corps Recruiting programs. He does not "send" people to outfits unless the prospective cadet requests it. The good outfits have no problem recruiting. Capitalism at its best. Nonethless, he will help outfits stay afloat if need be.

[This message has been edited by puravida2010 (edited 1/24/2010 11:59p).]

[This message has been edited by puravida2010 (edited 1/25/2010 12:53a).]
CanyonAg77
AG
Gee, I don't know. I wonder when someone with 77 in their username would have graduated? You're not doing a lot to convince us of your superior knowledge.

And I have a kid at an Academy and one that just graduated from the Corps at Aggieland. Don't BS me about this sort of thing.

quote:
The Corps is handsdown in the best shape it's been in years

I guess that's why it is at the highest percentage of Corps membership in the student body ever.

Oh....wait....nevermind.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 1/25/2010 12:00a).]
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:35p).]
Jock 07
AG
I was wondering when some current staph rat would show up to circle the wagons

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 1/25/2010 12:01a).]
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:36p).]
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:35p).]
Jock 07
AG
quote:
SPEAK THEIR MIND when necessary.

I've been told a few times this is my problem
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:37p).]
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
In response to recruiting, outfits recruit on their own initiative on top of the many Corps Recruiting programs. He does not "send" people to outfits unless the prospective cadet requests it. The good outfits have no problem recruiting. Capitalism at its best. Nonethless, he will help outfits stay aflot if need be.

So, how do you like it there in E-2?

And tell me again how many folks he's sent from the bloated outfits to the small ones?

Since the outfits are no longer divided by major, it ought to be a lottery or some other unbiased system to allocate the kids out to the various outfits.

I'll say it again, allowing recruiting to outfits, and the resulting unequal outfit size, is the most self-destructive thing the Corps is doing.
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:49p).]
Deuce Ag
Well son, his handle says 77....
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
All of the "authority" you think you have is but a FRACTION of what we had just 10 years ago...when the Cadet Corps was the LARGEST IN ITS HISTORY.

Hey GI, some of the really old farts from back when A&M was all-male/all-military and 8,000+ students might be along in a few minutes to adjust your thinking on this one.
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:49p).]
puravida2010
CanyonAg:

To be honest, by being a grad in '77, I'm sure you are wiser and certainly have "superior knowledge" in most respects. However, in this case, I'm simply stating measurable facts.

I do understand the fundamental difference between the Corps of Cadets as well as other Senior Military Colleges and the Service Academies. I have had relatives and friends in both. I have also visited and experienced both.

By the way...I'm having to "edit" a response just to add a bit more since this is my fourth post and I'm limited to a certain number in 24 hours. I am new at posting but have gone on here for years.

CanyonAg: I never intended to be condescending. In fact, it appeared to be the other way around.

[This message has been edited by puravida2010 (edited 1/25/2010 12:49a).]

[This message has been edited by puravida2010 (edited 1/27/2010 5:41p).]
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:50p).]
puravida2010
GI:

Nebulous arguments? I never saw well developed arguments on the other side either, sir.

Have a good evening.
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks for the condescension, pv2010.

quote:
Username: puravida2010
Number of Posts: 4
Account Created: 1/23/2010 12:14:18 PM
Homepage: http://www.aggiecorps.org
Interests: US Army, Running, Religion, History
quote:
I do understand the fundamental difference between the Corps of Cadets as well as other Senior Military Colleges and the Service Academies

Doubtful. But it is without refute that you have no idea how things were in the Aggie Corps of Cadets when the cadets actually were allowed to lead with advice from the Trigon, not just salute when the puppet strings were pulled.
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:51p).]
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:51p).]
GI
deleted.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/27/2010 4:50p).]
Preferred Nomenclature
AG
Good riddance if true.

I have not been more ticked than when he refused to shake my hand when I walked across the stage at graduation. Just because I didn't go in the service doesn't mean I didn't work my ass off to succeed in the Corps and at school. Eff GVA

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.