Historical Documentary Buffs, give me your best WW1 recommendations.

1,860 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JABQ04
Post removed:
by user
Mr. Frodo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ken burns has the great war.. His are all pretty good. Will be watching to see what else is out there.
Agthatbuilds
Guns of August
Poilu
Storm of steel
Marauder Blue 6
AG
They Shall Not Grow Old
lne2011
AG
Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon. It's behind paywall now, but it's worth it.
12th Man
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

They Shall Not Grow Old

This. Hearing the voices of the veterans, then voice-overs accompanying the erstwhile silent footage (made possible by lip readers) was very compelling. I loved it.

When they play "Mademoiselle from Armentires" during the credits, it makes one mindful that nothing's new under the sun -and the more things change, the more they stay the same.

"Between the sheets/ she sure was fun/ working her a__ like a Maxim gun" made me laugh out loud.
UTExan
The Myth of the Great War by John Mosier. Add Tuchman's The Proud Tower.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Aggie12B
AG
You should check out Apocalypse WWI. It is a 5 or 6 part documentary that is very well done
AgBQ-00
AG
This is the one I was going to post. It is on pretty frequently on AHC (American Heroes Channel) if you get that channel. It is much like the History Channel used to be.
DogCo84
AG
It's on YouTube and I made a playlist for all 5 episodes:

Apocalypse WW1 - 5 Episodes

DogCo84
AG
Great WW1 non-documentaries--in no particular order:

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

Gallipoli (1981)

Paths of Glory (1957)

The Lighthorsemen (1987)

Journey's End (2018)

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

JABQ04
AG
The Australian miniseries Gallipoli from 2015 is very good too
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Nagler
AG
A World Undone by GJ Meyer is a great book about WW1.
AgBQ-00
AG
DogCo84 said:

It's on YouTube and I made a playlist for all 5 episodes:

Apocalypse WW1 - 5 Episodes

Just looked forward to the 10th. AHC is playing the series starting at 5 am straight through. In case you wanted to record it.
gggmann
AG
Amazon Prime has some really good ones:

The First World War
Long Shadow

Not WW1, but covering the end of WW1 to the start of WW2:

Impossible Peace
stoneyjr78
AG
From 1996 PBS The Great War and the Shaping of the 20th Century. It's on YouTube, free.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3H6z037pboEHxnyHECLD5881OH_FvPt

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0115193/
hut-ho78
ReloadAg
AG
This one is incredible. I've watched the series several times and they do a phenomenal job. The sense of doom you get while watching it is palpable.
Rabid Cougar
AG
to add to movies list:

Blue Max - 1966.
Sarajevo - 2014
The Rifleman.- 2020 Russian.
Beneath Hill 60
The Trench
JABQ04
AG
While not a documentary, there is a group of us who are going WWI living history, portraying the 1st Black Watch. We're a new group and so far a lot of our stuff is being done at the trench system at the Museum of the American GI just south of College Station. Real convenient since most of us are Houston area folks with a couple of Austin area guys. We have a weekend in October to meet out there and work on some stuff. (Period cooking, tactics, running wire). Feel free to email (username@gmail) if you'd be interested to get some first hand perspectives on things. Plus lots of great discussion about history during down time.

Doing Civil War reenacting/living history has put a lot of things I've read into perspective. Enjoyable hobby but when it's gets hot or cold, or your smoked after walking 5 miles in period gear/uniform then you thing those dudes couldn't go home after 24 hours or would walk 15-20 miles and then go into a fight, things suddenly don't seem so bad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.