Aggie myths and legends and fun facts

104,199 Views | 222 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by eric76
Falsedawn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
In the Corps dorms, the steam tunnel entrance was underneath one of the stairwells. Could be mistaken for a closet under the stair to the second floor.

No way. You'll get a kick out of this.

So my sister (FTA Class of 2000) was in C-2 when she was in the Corps. I was 5 when we moved her into the dorms. I don't remember much about the day, but I remember one detail very vividly. I remember we were about to go upstairs to her room and me being the curious 5 year old I was, opened up a closet beneath the stairwell we were about to go up. I was greeted not by a floor, but by blackness. In my 5 year old mind, it was the deepest hole I had ever seen. I remember it so vividly because I had nightmares about falling in for about 10 years after the fact. I occasionally still have the nightmare, and it's always the same.

Looks like I almost experienced the steam tunnels firsthand without realizing it.
quidam65
quote:
What is now the University of Texas at Arlington was once a branch campus of Texas A&M.

As an alum, can we come back into the system? Please? We promise not to beat A&M in football!

And we were a 2-year college like Blinn is today, but later became a 4-year university. The late Arlington Mayor Tom Vandergriff considered the elevation of then Arlington State College the most important achievement of his career--more so than getting the MLB Rangers club to Arlington.

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this. -- Anonymous

[This message has been edited by quidam65 (edited 12/4/2012 10:10p).]
txagbq2009
AG
There are two fish that are buried in front of the bugle stand on the Quad. "Hawkeye" and "Shooter" are their names. Legend has it two BQ's buried their beloved pets there so taps would be played for the fish every night. The legend says that the 2 cadets had 2 separate funerals, one in fall of 2008 and one in the spring of 2009. I do believe I heard the lords prayer was recited as well... No grave stone, just a moving tribute to their pets.

I also heard those two BQ's were outstanding individuals and quality Cadets, but that is just a rumor.

[This message has been edited by txagbq2009 (edited 12/8/2012 4:24a).]
DBSwooper
quote:
I have heard from some more recent C-2 guys that it was a rooster, but that is probably wishful thinking, going by their current nickname and C CO INF heritage.

I'm C-2 '02 and I always understood Tip to be a dog. Although I'm sad to say that '02 really isn't "recent" anymore.
A Person
AG
I heard Tip was a dog. But my experience is pretty limited in this area
maca1028
I have really enjoyed reading this forum. I did not attend TAMU but was raised in an Aggie household due to my grandfather '58 serving in the Corps. He still tells me some amazing stories from his time there, most of those stories were from his own personal account but still fun to hear. My wife and I bought him a brick a few years ago that was placed at the cadet center, I have made it a bit of a tradition to take a picture of it every time we go to a game laying such things as his old belt buckle and hat pin next to it. Anyway, keep the stories coming! Gig 'Em!
CanyonAg77
AG
maca and others,try to find Aggies, ya'll caught that damn rat yet?

Fun little book by someone class of '38.

maca1028
I will Canyon thanks
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
to my grandfather '58 serving in the Corps

My dad is class of 58. He was in C Armor. What outfit was your grandfather in?
maca1028
I'm not sure, I'll have to ask him and get back with you Abatt
maca1028
Abatt he was in the Maroon Fightin Texas Aggie Band
nai06
AG
quote:
Has anyone thought about filing an open records request for a map (and/or other information) of the steam tunnels? I've always wondered the truth vs. myth behind what goes where and such. I don't know if they would consider this information vital to protecting the infrastructure or is truly releasable. I've only been trained in FOIA from the viewpoint of a police officer...

you may not even have to. Cushing has copies of the original schematics on file. Now that wont get you all the new stuff but anything prior to the 50s is there.
Vestal_Flame
AG
Someone in my office said "The Republic is a long time ago."

To which I said, "No, it's not. It's 3 people away from living memory, and maybe less."

I know a lawyer in San Antonio ('65) who was recruited to A&M by General Rudder '32. General Rudder was a student at A&M during the tenure of E.J. Kyle '99.

Dean Kyle, of course, was a student during the administration of Sully. The college was so small at the time that they probably had met at least once.

Sully, of course, was a boy in Waco during the Republic and knew its founding fathers, e.g., Sam Houston. I don't actually know that Sam Houston and Sully ever met, but I consider it inconceivable, given the small size of the population at the time and the nature of their respective public roles, that they did not.
CanyonAg77
AG
I had a prof in the class of 1932. And babies being born this year will be in the class of 2035 or 2036. Short connections indeed.
Old Main
AG
Earlier someone mentioned how difficult it was for the demolition crew to destroy Guion Hall. Below is a photo of Guion Hall still clinging to its existence after an extended battle with the wrecking ball...I heard a larger wrecking ball had to be used - the first wrecking ball merely bounced off the walls like a tennis ball. This building (which along with Sbisa anchored Military Walk) just didn't want to disappear.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 1/30/2013 2:22p).]
CanyonAg77
Vestal_Flame
AG
LBJ discussion. http://forums.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2452534&forum_id=49
TAMU74
AG
SIAP...Seems I recall that Carswell AFB was named after an Aggie.
Don't recall that details.
CanyonAg77
AG
Carswell started at A&M, finished at TCU. He's considered one of "our" MOH recipients.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Once an Aggie ---! Happened to lots of vets returning but still considered themselves Aggies.
Aggies Revenge
AG
In the 1991-92, C-2 kept a rooster in a spare room in Dorm 10. Someone, kept taping boxes of Shake N Bake to the hatch to that room.
AEK
AG
The 'Stika's, Big Red, and wearing the ring on your left hand...
Vestal_Flame
AG
I wear my ring on my left hand and am class of 1999. At a Terry Scholar picnic about 5 years ago, 3 students walked up to me and one of them asked (almost immediately so that it was clear that this was the purpose of the introduction), whether the presence of my ring on my left hand indicated membership in a secret society.

I told her that one does not join a secret society to then go and broadcast it to strangers, but that I was not a member of any secret society whose members identified themselves to each other by wearing their rings left-handed, and I explained to her that this was just "the old army way."
TXAGBQ76
AG
I went to my uncle's final review in 1959; he was in B Artillery. That did it for me and I have been an Aggie ever since!

[This message has been edited by TXAGBQ76 (edited 3/12/2014 2:45p).]
PLUM LOCO
AG
quote:
Guion Hall

I guess it just did not fit in with the "Soviet Era" architecture planned for the "future" A&M.
NolaAg86
AG
I didn't pay attention to this when I was at the Ole Miss game, but I'll be back for Missouri. I've been looking at some pictures, and I've counted 28 flags (Old Glory) over the south end zone and 20 over the north end zone. So where are the other 7? Has anyone counted all 55 on any of the game days?

I'm just spending a Friday afternoon thinking about an Aggie tradition.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
Aquin
AG
When sculptor, Larry Luedke, was commissioned to do Rudder's statue, he went to a foundry in Chicago that does the kind of casting that he used. Basically, he sculpts the subject in clay, a wax copy is made which is destroyed in the process of casting the final product. The clay that he chose just happened to be the same clay that had been used for the Sul Ross statue. Larry told me this himself. I always thought it was a unique coincidence.
Smithjg
NOLA, I heard that the completed KYLE will have the correct number of flags, that we are short right now. Once everything is complete, the flags will be the correct number.
TowerAg90
AG
quote:
Was told by a member of the Class of 1932 the ORIGINAL Reveille mascot (mixed breed dog) was not found on the side of the road by cadets returning from Houston.
That was a cover story prepared for the Bulls (officers).
Class of 32's company was on a punishment march to the Brazos when, on passing a Brazos river bottom Italian sharecropper's family shack, this little dog comes out barking. Followed the company all the way back to campus. They (the company) sorta adopted the dog. Next morning when Reveille was sounded from the bugle stand, dog started barking.
Bulls were alerted but thought the incident was unique. Allowed cadets to keep the dog...they thereafter named Reveille.

Story was told to Bop in 1978 while '32 (at his Roane, Texas farm) was stitting on his tractor
Good Bull! This is why I love Texags
LastHamlet
AG
Good read. Thanks guys.
htxag09
AG
I always heard A&M had a rifle for every student..... Never believed it, though....
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
I always heard A&M had a rifle for every student..... Never believed it, though....
Up until the early 1970s, the Corps dorms had armories in every dorm. Held rifles that were used for drill. I know they were used in 1970, but by the time I got there in 1973, they were gone.

RVs and FDT use de-milled '03 Springfields. I have no idea what the drill rifles were, or if they were working examples.

Look on the Cushing Library Flickr page, and you'll see pre-WWII cadets firing cannon, mortars, machine guns, etc.
htxag09
AG
^
Yeah, I believed that. But people always tried to say it was in the rules, or whatever you'd call it, and they never took it out so to this day they still had one for every student.....
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
^
Yeah, I believed that. But people always tried to say it was in the rules, or whatever you'd call it, and they never took it out so to this day they still had one for every student.....
Never heard such. Pure fantasy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.