Aggie myths and legends and fun facts

103,591 Views | 222 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by eric76
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Aggieland article has the 12th Man story a little off, as Gill did not enter the game. It also has the Baylor game off by four years. It was 1926, not 1922. So I wouldn't be surprised if the memory of the local merchant would be off as well.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
The Aggieland article has the 12th Man story a little off, as Gill did not enter the game. It also has the Baylor game off by four years. It was 1926, not 1922. So I wouldn't be surprised if the memory of the local merchant would be off as well.
I was gonna post the date discrepancy but I wanted to see who else noticed it.

I read the book "Aggies y'all catch dat dam ol rat yet?" and know the Baylor story from the book
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
I read the book "Aggies y'all catch dat dam ol rat yet?" and know the Baylor story from the book
I've got the book, but it's been years since I read it. Will have to take another look. I enjoyed it, was struck by how some things had not changed since the 30s.
aggiejim70
AG
Maybe this gentleman of the press has the right idea on the cannon story and some of the others under discussion.

Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
If my foggy memory works...I seem to remember that it was tradition from my dads day ( class of 44) that the ring was turned at the ring dance which was held several weeks before grad. Virtually everyone went to the dance and in those days a huge percentage graduated with their class ( adjusted for the war)
By the time I graduated it was still said that the ring dance was the occasion but since a large majority by then neither went to ring dance nor graduated with their class on time it became a graduation day thing. I have no idea about today but in the 70's we turned it around on graduation day.
We turned it around after you walked in '86
dwo0100
Ive heard the same story...never personally witnessed the elevators moving on their own, but that building does have an eerie feeling late at night
PanzerAggie06
AG
This may have been mentioned but when I was a kid my uncle claimed that two students from tu died when they tried to fire bomb the Bonfire stack as it was being built. Apparently they had rented a Cessna and flew a few passes over the stack throwing Molotov cocktails. On the third pass they took it to low and crashed in the area of Olsen Field. Probably BS but makes for a good tale.

A family story that has been passed around for years is pretty funny. My grandfather, class of 30, was head of the physical plat at A&M in the 50's and 60's. Puryear apparently had issues with its water system....when the toilets were flushed anyone taking a shower would be scalded. Anyway, they were running tests of some sort and my grandfather was standing outside as some of his guys did some work on the top floor. They were yelling down some numbers/info and he was writing them down on his clipboard. Apparently a student reporter from the Batt walked by and asked my granddad what was going on. Being the eternal smartass that he was he told the kid that the were timing how long it took a turd to flow from the top floor of Puryear to the waste treatment plant. The student wrote an article about how my grandpa was wasting A&M funds on stupid tests. As the story goes Rudder called up my grandpa and chewed him out thinking it was true. I really hope this one is true.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Quote:

Puryear apparently had issues with its water system....when the toilets were flushed anyone taking a shower would be scalded.

That statement is true for old dorms; If you were going to flush and someone was in the shower it was courtesy to shout: Crapper! and wait for the response "Shoot!" prior to flushing
CanyonAg77
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Quote:

Puryear apparently had issues with its water system....when the toilets were flushed anyone taking a shower would be scalded.

That statement is true for old dorms; If you were going to flush and someone was in the shower it was courtesy to shout: Crapper! and wait for the response "Shoot!" prior to flushing
Which lead to the fart off during my day, where you would yell someone's name, hoping your buddies will respond with "SHOOT!"

As with everything else, the crapper/shoot thing was done by rank. The highest class ranking guy in the shower had the responsibility of checking everyone was out before yelling "Shoot!"

This was back when the shower was a 12x12 box with six shower heads and no dividers.
BQ78
AG
Quote:

The highest class ranking guy in the shower had the responsibility of checking everyone
And here I was thinking all these years you were just being creepy.
CanyonAg77
GSPag`
The Cessna story and molotov cocktails is part correct.

I am guessing it was the bonfire of '87, maybe '88. Two tu students one with a pilots license rented a cessna in Austin. Flew over a "soaked" stack and attempted to light it from the plane on the day bonfire was to burn. Bonfire was on Duncan back then and the locals living on Jersey St (now George Bush) would spend the afternoon watering their house down so that the bonfire would not cause any problems. One of the guys saw the plane, took down the tail number and called the police. They were waiting on them in Austin when they returned.

Not sure anything actually happeded to them.

There was a Battallion article at the time.
eric76
AG
In 1939, the State of Texas recognized two Thanksgivings so that state employees could have the day off for the t.u. game that year.

President Lincoln had made Thanksgiving the last Thursday in November. In 1939, because of the depression, President Roosevelt changed it to the fourth Thursday in November several weeks earlier to give the stores another week of shopping between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The fourth Thursday was referred to as the Democratic Thanksgiving since President Roosevelt was a Democrat. The fifth Thursday was referred to as the Republican Thanksgiving since President Lincoln was a Republican.

The football schedules were already set so the t.u. game was already scheduled on the fifth Thursday in November. The state had two Thanksgivings that year -- the fourth Thursday was the official Thanksgiving and the fifth Thursday for the t.u. game.

Some conferences apparently had rules that required the last game of the season for the conference to be played by the weekend after Thanksgiving. Fortunately, the Southwest Conference was not one of these.
eric76
AG
In the 1970s, there was a hidden deck at Kyle Field on the alumni side. Apparently when they widened the second deck, they did it by building a new deck about five or six feet above the previous deck.

There was no direct access to it -- it took a bit of climbing to get to it. I found it by accident about 2 or 3 am one morning in the 1973-1974 school year, looked around for a bit, and couldn't find any sign that anyone had been there since the expansion that resulted in the second deck above it.

Edit: I just looked at Wikipedia. The original second deck and the press box were erected in 1953. The expansion of the second deck above the original second deck was done in 1967.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.