Aggie myths and legends and fun facts

103,990 Views | 222 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by eric76
ahancock13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy!
I'm attempting to compile a list of Aggie myths, legends, fun facts, and anything that people think is interesting about our great university.
Ideas already present to me are things such as items buried under Kyle Field, the story of the discovery of the cannon used by PMC, the "tip of the quad", Rudder's dog Ranger's grave site on campus, etc.
If you have anything you would like to share, please do so!

Thanks so much!

Gig'em!
--A. Hancock '13
aggieann
AG
The “Crystal Tree” sculpture in the courtyard of the Rudder Complex has 2,500 pieces of glass.

The L.T. Jordan ’29 Collection includes jewelry, porcelain, silverwork, paintings, rugs, and various pieces of furniture from the Middle East, Africa, Europe and Asia that Mr. Jordan collected during his career with the Gulf Oil Company and the Kuwait Oil Company.

The MSC Forsyth Center Galleries are home to one of the world’s largest collections of English Cameo Glass, as well as 1,200 American and English glass objects and American paintings.

Bergstrom Air Force Base in Austin was named for Captain John Bergstrom ‘29, a reservist in the 19th Bombardment Group, who was killed in the Philippines in 1941. He was the first Austinite killed in World War II.

Campus buses transport approximately 150,000 passengers per week.

The Transportation Services campus bus system is the largest university-owned operation of its type in the U.S.

University Libraries offers more than 400,000 e-books.

More than 14,000 Aggie students are student workers.

The sun never sets on Aggieland, thanks to the branch campus in Qatar.

Texas A&M is one of few schools where men students outnumber women—but just barely (53 percent to 47 percent).

Easterwood Field is one of the few university-operated commercial airports in the nation.

What’s the largest university dining hall in America? Sbisa.

140 campus locations collect and recycle 750 tons of material each year.

From the mid-1970s to the early 1980s, the Cyclotron Institute, in cooperation with Houston’s M.D. Anderson Hospital and Cancer Institute, pioneered the treatment of certain types of cancer with neutron bombardment.

The Center for the Study of the First Americans, part of the Department of Anthropology in the College of Liberal Arts, is the only facility in the nation dedicated to answering the questions surrounding man’s arrival to the North and South American continents

Construction of the Academic Building began in 1912, on the ashes of Old Main. At that time, the use of reinforced concrete was so new that Builder Frederick Ernest Giesecke, Class of 1886 and a professor of civil engineering, calculated how much reinforced steel would be required and then doubled it.

The Mitchell Physics Buildings are the first on campus to be financed through a public-private partnership. The $82.5 million facilities would not have been possible without a $35 lead gift from the Mitchell family.

Only two campus buildings are set to true direction. Dulie Bell and Blocker face due west.

The tallest building between Dallas and Houston is the 16 story (239.5 feet) O&M building.

The largest bell in Albritton Bell Tower weighs 6,550 pounds. All of the bells combined weigh 17 tons.

The mosaic that forms the Texas A&M seal under the Liberty Bell replica in the lobby of the Academic Building was created by Joseph Hutchinson, a professor of architecture. It was a gift of the Class of 1978 and contained 36,000 tiles.

There’s a swimming pool in the basement of the YMCA building, and it was in use from 1917 to 1934.

Texas A&M’s first rooftop garden, atop the new George P. Mitchell ‘40 Physics Building, features 10,000 square feet of native Texas plants.

The Williams Administration Building contains the portrait of a young woman, Sarah Orth, the daughter of the superintendent of construction on the building.

From the time it was completed in 1917 until the mid-1980s, the Pavilion was a dirt-floor arena that could seat about 2,500 spectators.

The Texas AgriLife Extension Service annex, across Lubbock Street from Krueger Hall, was built in 1932 as a stable for 50 horses.

Duncan Dining Hall was built on the site of the old campus cemetery, which was moved off campus near the intersection of Luther Street and Marion Pugh Drive.

The President’s Home was completed in 1963, replacing the former home, which burned to the ground. President James Earl Rudder was the first president to live there.

The 1919 football game between A&M and t.u. marked the start of the Thanksgiving Day showdown tradition.

Did you know that no opponent scored against the 1919 Aggie football team?

Texas A&M played its first baseball game, against Navasota High School, in 1891.

Randy Matson ’67, considered by many to be the greatest shot-putter of all time, won the Silver Medal in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics and the gold in the 1968 Mexico City Olympics.

The first play-by-play live radio broadcast of a college football game was WTAW’s broadcast of the 1921 contest between Texas A&M and t.u., which resulted in a scoreless tie.

In 1902, government officials sought to convert the Texas A&M campus into an insane asylum. E. B. Cushing, president of what is now the Board of Regents, came to his alma mater’s rescue.

Nagle Hall and the old State Chemist Building are the oldest buildings on campus, dating back to 1909.

Olsen Field is named in honor of C.E. “Pat” Olsen ’23, who played on the New York Yankees team with Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.

A rodeo arena once stood near where Olsen Field is today.

Seven women attended Texas A&M in 1922 as “special unofficial students.”

On August 23, 1963, the Texas Legislature approved a bill changing the name of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas to Texas A&M University. After that, the “A&M” no longer stood for anything.

Silver Taps began in 1898 in honor of Lawrence Sullivan Ross.

Lafayette Lumpkin Foster served as president of Texas A&M from 1898 until his death from pneumonia in 1901. He is buried on the Texas A&M campus.

In the early 1920’s, the university operated a zoo on the west side of campus that housed several lions and tigers, snakes, an elephant, an ostrich, and an assortment of deer and elk.

The Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band was formed with 13 cadets in 1894.

What is now the University of Texas at Arlington was once a branch campus of Texas A&M.

The Federation of Texas A&M University Mothers’ Club, founded in Dallas in 1922, is the largest organization of its kind in the nation.

The Liberty Bell replica on display in the lobby of the Academic Building was given to the State of Texas in 1950 as part of a U.S. Savings Bond drive. Gov. Allan Shivers presented it to Texas A&M in honor of the sacrifices made by Aggies during wartime.

A museum was once on the site of the current Langford Architecture building. From 1937 to 1965, it contained an Egyptian mummy that is now on permanent loan to the Houston Museum of Natural Science.

Edwin Jackson Kyle, Class of 1899 and the namesake of Kyle Field, used his own money to buy wooden bleachers prior to the first game played on the field, on Oct. 7, 1905. Two years later, he purchased a covered stadium from the old Bryan fairgrounds.

Near the current site of the Texas A&M Foundation once stood as many as 50 “project houses.” In the depths of the Great Depression in 1930s, students lived in the houses, doing their own cooking and cleaning, buying groceries wholesale, and providing their own chickens and livestock for food.

Fifty-three live oak trees were planted around Simpson Drill Field in 1920 in memory of Aggies killed in World War I.

The only official Liberty Bell replica that is not in a state capital is here in Aggieland—in the Academic Building.

The stately Century Oak tree in the heart of the campus is about 115 years old.

Seven Aggies received the Medal of Honor in World War II, matching Virginia Tech for the most honorees of any school outside the service academies.

The current site of the Interdisciplinary Life Sciences Building was once home to “tent city,” erected in 1906 to house an overflow of students. The tents were replaced several years later by 165 16-foot-square wooden shacks known as “Hollywood.” When it rained, they were called “Hollywood under the Sea.”
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
the story of the discovery of the cannon used by PMC, the "tip of the quad"

I do know the cannon was discovered near Easterwood during Bonfire cut in the mid 70's. For a while, it stood in front of Dorm 4, as the outfit that found it resided there.

"Tip's Tomb" is behind Dorm 10. The legend I heard was that Tip was a parakeet that was an outfit mascot. There's a small stone or concrete marker there near the southwest corner of the dorm.
aalan94
AG
There is a myth about a secret tunnel underneath Simpson Drill Field, large enough to house a German tiger tank, which the myth also says is down there. Can't remember where I heard that one, but I'm guessing it's not true because we're aggies and we're cheap. We don't build crap for no real reason.
aalan94
AG
quote:
The Mitchell Physics Buildings are the first on campus to be financed through a public-private partnership. The $82.5 million facilities would not have been possible without a $35 lead gift from the Mitchell family.

I'm sure the $35 made all the difference.
oldvalleyrat
AG
quote:
The first play-by-play live radio broadcast of a college football game was WTAW’s broadcast of the 1921 contest between Texas A&M and t.u., which resulted in a scoreless tie.

I sure thought that the first broadcast was done but the ham radio club now liscensed as W5AC.

airplane driver
S
Any haunted buildings on campus? Anyone ever see one? (a ghost not a haunted building). I've heard one of the libraries is supposed to be haunted.
BQ89AG
AG
quote:
Fifty-three live oak trees were planted around Simpson Drill Field in 1920 in memory of Aggies killed in World War I.

What happened to the other two??? Everything I have ever seen referred to 55 Aggies killed in WWI, hence the 55 trees and 55 flags over Kyle Field at every home game.

Oh, and to add a new one: the Aggie Band has no tubas - only basses. Cannot have tubas as those beging with tu...

BQ89AG
AG
From the 19 August 2010 Revision of The Standard:

How are the 55 Aggies who served in World War I and died on active duty commemorated?

Fifty-five flags fly over Kyle Field at each football game, there is a granite memorial located at the West Gate, and their names are on the plaques in the entrance to the Memorial Student Center.
ahancock13
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!
I really appreciate all the awesome responses I got!

Keep'em coming!!

Gig'em!
--A. Hancock '13
The Fall Guy
AG
That we prefer goats over women!

Doesn't get old living in Austin.
KRamp96
quote:
Any haunted buildings on campus?

I heard a story about the Animal Industries building being haunted. Something about it having a buther shop in the basement and a worker severed an artery cutting up meat one night and died. Supposedly the elevator goes up and down at night with no one in it. Goodness.

MaroonStain
AG
Two things:

1) More men than women now at A&M.

2) And the "A&M - doesn't stand for anything" always makes me laugh.
XpressAg09
AG
Apparently, when Puryear dorm was still in use, the Puryear Playboys polished a Playboy bunny into the dome of the Academic Building, that is still "faintly visible."

That was in The Batt one day, but I couldn't find the bunny.
Dough
The 1917 team was also unscored upon.

"Tip" was a rooster, not a parakeet...at least that's what I've always been told.

Lee72
AG
The "basses" in the FTAB are actually sousaphones...tubas are large upright brass instruments that aren't readily suitable for marching bands...tubas are for concert band use...and both are considered bass instruments. AND yes they don't refer to them as tubas because the word starts with "tu".

[This message has been edited by Lee72 (edited 6/2/2011 8:40p).]
Lee72
AG
As one who lived in Puryear circa 1969-70, yep the Playboys added a shiny bunny to the dome along with the fish class year for several years.
Lee72
AG
During the remodeling of the ME Shops, the shop areas were set up inside the walls of the northgate water tower near Sbisa.
Lee72
AG
Guion Hall was so well built that when they began to demolish it, the original wrecking ball simply bounced off the side of the walls...the company had to get a larger ball to finally crack the walls enough to get them to give way - eventually.

During the preparation for the demolition of Guion Hall, a large flag was found on the back wall of the stage area. It was an over-sized version of the smaller flags that families put out to indicate they had family members serving overseas (blue stars for serving, gold stars for KIA). The flag had hundreds of stars on it - one for each Aggie who was known to be serving or KIA during WWII.

Guion Hall was a place that Fish could go to get away from upperclassmen. Many a Fish sacked out in the dark auditorium seats over the years.

W5AC is the Aggie Ham Radio Club callsign. It was awarded to the club because they had "Worked All Continents". At the time that they accomplished this feat, the W[#]AC callsign was reserved by the FCC and the ARRL to recognize the first station to do so in each of the 10 callsign regions of the country.

[This message has been edited by Lee72 (edited 6/2/2011 8:53p).]
CanyonAg77
AG
Regarding the 53/55, I believe that it was 53 back when I was at Aggieland. I guess later research came up with two more.

Same goes with MOH recipients. Carswell wasn't counted back in my day, so we only had the six.
Dough
When I was in the corps in the early to mid 90s, there were 8 MOH recipients. They removed one though because insufficient evidence was found that he had been at A&M or somesuch.
CanyonAg77
AG
The 8th guy is a pretty fascinating story. Apparently he did receive a MOH and claimed to have attended A&M sometime in the early years. Almost all the records for those early years were lost in the Old Main fire.

If you can remember his name, Google it up, because apparently he was a serial liar, hence his removal from the A&M MOH recipients.
CanyonAg77
AG
Found him

Daniel Edwards
quote:
Daniel R. Edwards, Medal of Honor winner, was born at Mooreville, Texas, on April 9, 1888. He entered military service at Bruceville. He was nominated for the Medal of Honor twice for his exploits in World War I. Because the military preferred not to confer two such awards on an individual, his first award was changed to a Distinguished Service Cross, the second highest honor given....

For a while he was also a popular speaker on the war. His exploits as he reported them approached the unbelievable, however, and doubts have been raised about some of them....

And another
quote:
He testified before Congress to have his benefits pay for a Master’s Degree in Journalism from Columbia University, claiming that he had received a Bachelor’s Degree from Baylor University. Records from Columbia show him graduating from Texas A&M University.

He also claimed to have played baseball and football at both universities. How he fit academics and athletics in with his service to the Texas Rangers and Pancho Villa along with his part in the Philippine insurrection - not to mention his service in World War I -has never been fully explained or, indeed, explained at all.

Thanks in part to Thomas’ biography, Edwards enjoyed a celebrity status for several years after the war. He claimed to have served in the Chaco War between Paraguay and Bolivia, the Turkish War of Independence and he said he was with the Chinese Army during the invasion of Manchuria.

He also claimed to have served with the Venezuelan Navy, in the Ethiopian War, insurrections in Morocco and Nicaragua - and World War II.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 6/2/2011 9:53p).]
XpressAg09
AG
quote:
As one who lived in Puryear circa 1969-70, yep the Playboys added a shiny bunny to the dome along with the fish class year for several years.

WHERE???
competitor
The map of Texas on the floor of the administration building has austin on the wrong side (south side) of the colorado river.
Lee72
AG
XpressAg09 - to the dome of the Academic Bldg as discussed by OP. It was centered facing the flagpole alongwith the painted fish class year directly below it.
oldvalleyrat
AG
Lee72

Not saying you are wrong but I was the Chairman of W5AC in 1967 and a very active member from 62-67 and I never heard of the story that you mentioned...

quote:
W5AC is the Aggie Ham Radio Club callsign. It was awarded to the club because they had "Worked All Continents". At the time that they accomplished this feat, the W[#]AC callsign was reserved by the FCC and the ARRL to recognize the first station to do so in each of the 10 callsign regions of the country

I contacted a couple of acquaintances who were active members and they had never heard the story either. Just curious where you heard it. Many, many stations had the W>A>C award so the idea that the call comes from there doesn't seem reasonable. I could certainly be wrong...my wife points that out to me regularly! :-)
bigtruckguy3500
Great thread.

As far as the playboy bunny, I was on campus for final review this year and did not see it. But I do recall a very faint outline as late as spring '07, possibly into '08 sometime.
SigChiDad
AG
The most enduring Aggie myth in my experience is the belief that The Association of Former Students helps or once helped defray the cost of Aggie Rings. The myth is so deeply ingrained that The Battalion did a story on it in the early '80's. The story confirmed that The Association of Former Students did not then, nor had they ever contributed funds to help defray the cost of Aggie Rings.

[This message has been edited by DGdad (edited 6/6/2011 8:54a).]
ahancock13
Can't thank you all enough for the amazing responses.
Not only have I learned an incredible amount of things about my amazing university, but I have more than enough information to keep me researching and reading for quite some time!

If you have twitter, follow The Association of Former Students @AggieNetwork and you may see some these fun facts and myths tweeted about!

Thanks and Gig'em!

Gig'em!
--A. Hancock '13
aalan94
AG
I was in Law Hall, which was the rival of Puryear. They last did the bunny, so far as I remember, in 1992 or so. It was on the back side of the Academic building dome kind of facing the Cushing Library.

The university polished it into a square, so it wasn't visible as a bunny except for a couple of days afterwards.

quote:
Guion Hall was so well built that when they began to demolish it, the original wrecking ball simply bounced off the side of the walls...the company had to get a larger ball to finally crack the walls enough to get them to give way - eventually.

There is a special place in purgatory for those who destroyed that building.

quote:
The map of Texas on the floor of the administration building has austin on the wrong side (south side) of the colorado river.

If that's where the Broken Spoke is, that's where Austin is.
ABATTBQ87
AG
in the 1954 Aggie Campusology book, Famous Facts question #6 was:

How are the 52 Aggies killed in WWI commemorated?
Answer: There are 52 trees, at the base of which are stone markers, around the Main Drill Field; there are 52 flags flying over Kyle Field at each football game; and there is a granite memorial at the West Gate.
B/CS Dreaming
AG
quote:
1) More men than women now at A&M.
Pretty sure you got that one backwards.
bigtruckguy3500
In regards to the Aggie ring's direction on your finger, I've heard two stories. One is that your date turns it around at ring dance and the other is that you turn it around when you graduate. I knew some folks that turned it around even though they didn't go to ring dance, or they went to ring dance as juniors. But when I graduated, one of the ladies that spoke to us told us that now as former students we can turn around our rings.

Anyone know the original deal? I think that graduation makes more sense, at least these days when going to ring dance doesn't usually even mean that you're going to be graduating a few weeks later.
The Original AG 76
AG
If my foggy memory works...I seem to remember that it was tradition from my dads day ( class of 44) that the ring was turned at the ring dance which was held several weeks before grad. Virtually everyone went to the dance and in those days a huge percentage graduated with their class ( adjusted for the war)
By the time I graduated it was still said that the ring dance was the occasion but since a large majority by then neither went to ring dance nor graduated with their class on time it became a graduation day thing. I have no idea about today but in the 70's we turned it around on graduation day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.