Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Half Marathon Training

868 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by JeremiahJohnson
jgw02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I currently run 3 miles 4 to 5 times a week and have been doing this for about 5 years. Looking to do a half marathon in mid-January. Does anyone have a recommended training program for this? I see there is a zenlabs app that is a training program, is that recommended or is there a better app?
Sweep4-2
Hal Higdon (website) has free training programs that have worked well for me.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
Swarely
The "Run with Hal" app has let me to two huge marathon PRs. So easy to use. Even if you don't pay it's still a huge help.
The Pilot
AG
Another vote for Hal. Structured training + actually doing the workouts + staying healthy will get you pretty far without incorporating much if any speed work.
jgw02
AG
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm signed up with Hal
Tailgate88
AG
Hal
94chem
I had 3 key workouts that helped me get my Half PR. They were:
---8x mile repeats at half marathon pace with slow recovery laps (10 - 11 total miles)

---a 15 mile run, in order to not be afraid of a 1.5 mile warmup on race day.

---an 8-10 mile run at race pace about 2 weeks out, to know that I could push through at that pace and finish on race day.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Matsui
AG
Hal Higdon plan will set you up for success. Have fun!
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Is this a one and done thing or do you want to do this long term and run other races? If its just one and done or just a few races every now and then the training plans are decent. However, I would suggest Rundot over a generic plan.

If this is a long term thing and you plan on doing more races regularly, hire a coach or use a service like Rundot or training peaks to up load your races, goals and workouts. This will help you develop a more catered approach than just a generic training plan.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.